• Published 30th Dec 2015
  • 32,811 Views, 2,555 Comments

It's A Screwed Up Life - Autum Breeze



Life can become very confusing when you go from working in a factory to waking up as a pony with Choas Magic. Wait. Did I say confusing? I meant FUN!

  • ...
116
 2,555
 32,811

PreviousChapters Next
Sometimes, Ya Gotta Hate Dimensional Transitions

Sometimes, Ya Gotta Hate Dimensional Transitions


___________________________________________________________

I yawn as I wake, before sitting up and stretching. Well, yesterday was kinda fun. Diamond, Silver and I got to have some actual fun, without Spoiled’s influence tainting it at all.

We just hung around Sugar Cube Corner for while, before I took Diamond and Silver to the Canterlot mall. What’s the point of having Chaos powers that let you teleport at will if you can’t treat your own sister every now and then, right?

Whilst Diamond and Silver were having fun looking at some fashion stores, I’d quickly popped back to Ponyville. My intention was to talk with Twilight about a few matters I realized I’d unintentionally been putting off, only to find that was when she and the rest of the Mane Six went to the Crystal Empire and got into that misunderstanding regarding Harsh Whiney.

With that knowledge in mind, I’d been about to head back to Canterlot so Diamond, Silver and I could continue or Spoiled-free day, when I saw Spike being dragged through town by the Mane Six’s pets.

It was just at that point where they went past Screwloose’s house as she had bide the nurse caring for her farewell. Not wanting any confusion or Loosey to end up back in hospital when she doesn’t need to be, I hurried over and explained the situation to the nurse, pointing to Spike and the pets to prove my point.

With the matter settled, I returned to Canterlot and spent the day with Diamond and Silver. I even got to enjoy tormenting Jet Set and Upper Crust again when they dared to treat Diamond like dirt by taking something she’d been about to buy.


Wonder what today’s gonna be like.

As I hop out of bed, I realize I’ve almost forgotten to do something. Quickly teleporting downstairs and having a quick breakfast of quiche that she chef made for me, I bid him and my family good day, before teleporting into the Equestria Girls world.

I’ve appeared in an alley not too far from the hospital my dimensional counterpart is recovering in. A quick snap of my fingers and I’ve taken on my Nyx persona. I’m now wearing a purple skirt, a black shirt under a purple vest. On my feet are simply black shoes, over ankle-high, bright blue socks.

I casually adjust the midnight-purple glasses with the slightest of gloss.

I snap my fingers, making a full-body mirror appear before me. after a quick onceover, I nod, satisfied. Another snap and the mirror is gone and I leave the alley and head for the hospital.

Walking in, I snap my fingers as I head up to the front desk. “Excuse me?”

The woman at the front desk looks up at the sound of my voice, or rather, Nyx’s voice.

I smile at her. “I’m here to see Lilac Rich?”

She opens a small book that holds booked appointments for patient visitors, finding Nyx’s name, a slight frown on her face. “Odd,” she mumbles. “I don’t remember seeing this before... I really need a vacation.”

She gives me the room number and I nod, heading off in that direction. After a few minutes, I find Lilac’s room and enter.

I pause as I see a nurse is with her, wondering why Lilac isn’t alone, before remembering that, unlike me, her mind is at a lot younger state, more along the lines of an infant or toddler, so having someone nearby at all times would be the responsible idea.

“Oh, hello,” the nurse says, looking from the very simple, yet brightly coloured puzzle she had been working on with Lilac. She has long blonde hair tied back in a bun, brown eyes and yellow skin. On her nurse’s hate is a blue cross with a dove behind it. “I’m Nurse Fair Wind.”

I smile at her. “I’m Nyx.”

She nods, before looking back at Lilac, who has stopped working on the puzzle and is looking at me with curiosity. “Have you come to visit Lilac?”

I nod again as I walk in.

“Are you a relative?”

“You could say that,” I say.

Lilac looks at me curiously, cocking her head to one side.

“Nurse Fair Wind to Doctor Bandage’s office,” the intercom suddenly says, startling us all. “Nurse Fair Wind to Doctor Bandage’s office please.”

Nurse Fair Wind sighs, before glancing to Lilac. “I need to go for a few minutes, Lilac. Will you be okay?”

Lilac looks to her, her eyes a little sad, before turning to look at me and smiles. “Friend stay.”

I nod. “I wasn’t exactly planning on leaving any time too soon.”

Nurse Fair Wind smiles and nods. “Be careful not to upset her, okay.”

I nod once again. “Not a problem, nurse.”

With that, she heads out, leaving Lilac and myself only together in the room.

“Why not tell?”

I blink, turning to Lilac, an eyebrow raised. “Tell what?”

“Tell nurse real name,” she says, looking confused. “Why look like other girl when you not when Daddy with me?”

I blink, before my eyes widen. Wait, did...? Did she actually notice me that first time? How? I was invisible and she’s just a normal human, with no magic at all. How did...? But why...?

Lilac just keeps looking at me with confusion.

I sit, thinking for a few moments, before sighing. “Lilac... this is really complicated. Some pon— Some people here can’t know about me yet. Pretty soon I can be me again, but for now, no one can know someone like me exists.”

She cocks her head. “Who can’t know?”

“Diamond and Filthy, for a start,” I say without thinking, clamping a hand over my mouth.

“Sister and Daddy?” Lilac looks more confused. “Why?”

I shake my head, before smiling. “It’s a long story, Lilac. It would take more time than I really should be here for now to tell. Instead,” using my magic, I levitate several of the remaining pieces of the puzzle into the air and float them around, “let’s have some fun.”

“Ooh,” the other girl says, looking up at the floating pieces of cardboard in amazement.

We spend the next few minutes playing around. First we work together to finish the puzzle, myself using magic the whole time, then we played with some other toys Lilac had in the room.

I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes and groaning when I saw they were all toys of the ponies back in Equestria, including Celestia and Luna.

After some time, Nurse Fair Wind returned, to find Lilac and I laughing at some of the stories I’d been telling her about my life in Equestria.

“I see you two have been having fun,” she smiles as she walks in.

We both nod.

“Nyx lots of fun,” Lilac grins, laughing happily. “Lots and lots o’ fun!”

“Gland I’m up to par,” I grin back, leaning on my hands.

Nurse Fair Wind smiles, before sitting down in the seat she’d been in before I came in. “I’m sorry to ask you to leave, Nyx, but Lilac needs to have a check-up now.”

“Hey, no problem,” I wave a hand, springing myself up with a push from my hand, landing on my feet. “I’ve been in hospital a few times myself, so I know the drill. It’s cool.”

It’s true. Back when I was a normal human, I’d gone into hospital for a brain tumour twice and check-up times a fair amount after, so I’m pretty versed in how things go in hospitals, without having to take my pony life into account.

“Catch ya later, Lilac,” I wave to the girl in the bed, who waves back. “Might see ya around soon.”

“Bye bye,” she calls, waving like an overly enthusiastic child.

I can’t help giving a small smile at that and head out and leave the hospital.

With a bit more time to kill, I think I’ll head for the mall. Might find something interesting there. Maybe I’ll even check out human Rarity’s boutique. Going as Nyx wouldn’t cause any problems, surely?


Smiling to myself, I turn and head down the road towards Canterlot Mall. It’s a nice day, so I don’t see what harm going to the mall could cause. It’s not like there’s something about this world I wouldn’t know that is a reflection of events in Equestria.

The sound of screeching tires and blaring car horns causes me to halt and I whirl around, to see a small blue car has turned, skidding along the road, ending up sitting in the middle of it, facing horizontally, blocking off several other cars that had swerved and braked to avoiding colliding with the stopped car.

The car door is almost thrust open and a women steps out that makes my eyes go wide.

She has very light-blue skin, flowing blue and whitish hair, is wearing long blue pants, a pinkish shirt with a white collar. A collar with a very familiar crescent moon shape on it.

I’m just standing dumbfounded. Vice Principal Luna? What are the odds I’d run into her? Wait. Why did she do that with her car?

“B-Blessed Moon?”

That pulls me out of that train of thought and makes my eyes bug out. What? How does this Luna know that name? She couldn’t. She shouldn’t!

“I... I...” I say, my brain completely blanking on me here. I’d always known there was a risk I’d run into someone from Canterlot High whenever I come to this world, but always had contingency plans in such an event. But this? I...

Vice Principal Luna takes a step forward, before she starts running towards me.

This somehow snaps me out of my trance and, though I don’t know what’s going on, I know I can’t let her catch me, so I turn and bolt. I run down the road, Luna right behind me, calling out for me to stop so she can understand.

Understand? I don’t understand what’s going on, so how could she?

After several blocks, I round a corner and, for some reason only now remembering I have magic, teleport myself up onto the roof of a nearby building and change myself back to normal.

I fall to my knees, gasping to catch my breath, as I watch Vice Principal Luna keep running around the corner and down the path until I can’t see her anymore.

Once I’ve managed to steady myself, I use my magic to bring up a touch screen and search “Blessed Moon and Vice Principal Luna”.

After several moments, the search is complete and I read what it found.

...

No, It... It can’t be, I... I never meant...

___________________________________________________________

Twilight sighed with relief as she stepped out of her library, fluffing her wings and opening them to let the morning sun shine down and warm her feathers.

Wow, had the previous couple days been eventful. First there was the near disaster she and her friends had almost brought onto the Crystal Empire when they mistook another pony for the Equestria Games Inspector.

Thankfully, that matter had, by sheer luck, sorted itself out.

Then there was the fiasco of yesterday. She still didn’t understand why she’d gone and cast Starswirl’s unfinished spell before looking into it first. Had she not figured out how to restore her friends, things could’ve ended horribly.

Though, that was nothing compared to the shock of finding out that, in fixing Starswirl’s actual spell, she’d created new magic, which caused her to become an Alicorn.

Getting used to her wings would no doubt take a lot of time, but she was sure she could work it out with her friends’ help.

Taking a deep breath of the lovely morning air, she sighed, smiling up at the clear blue sky. “Today is definitely going to fine.”

As she started to walk, she looked around expectantly. Almost every morning since her arrival in Ponyville, she’d see somepony having encountered one of Screwball’s amusing pranks.

That was oddly something Screwball understood compared to, say, Rainbow Dash; some pranks are only funny when the pony you’re pranking finds it funny, even if only in hindsight.

As she glanced around, Twilight found she could see no sign of Screwball or her pranks anywhere.

Twilight closed her eyes and shook her head. It wasn’t too unusual not to see Screwball having pranked at least somepony; not after what Applejack had confided in her about the time she’d found Screwball literally crying a river in one of the Apple Family’s farm’s outer fields.

Sometimes, even Screwball needed some time to unwind and relax.

Also, that little pony had a habit of just disappearing altogether from time to time. She had no idea where the filly would go, either. She had laughed the times she’d learned Screwball had snuck off to Canterlot to prank the nobles.

Though, it was the other places Screwball went to that she didn’t know about that had her curious.

“Princess Twilight!”

The purple Alicorn yelped at the sudden shouting of her name, before turning to see who it was.

Filthy Rich was hurrying in her direction, his daughter, Diamond Tiara, right at his side. Both looked scared, which triggered a warning alarm in Twilight’s mind.

“What is it?” she asked as they stopped in front of her.

“My sister!” Diamond cried, looking worried.

Twilight blinked, before worry came to her own eyes. “Screwball? What about her? What’s happened?”

“We’re not sure,” Filthy said, his anxiety clear on his face. “She came home yesterday and locked herself in her room.”

“We didn’t think much of it at the time, she sometimes does that when she and mother have had one of their rows,” Diamond cut in.

Twilight had to repress a displeased frown at that. She could understand Screwball having rows with her mother, considering when she’d first learned of Screwball herself.

“But, this morning, when Randolph went to get her up, he saw chocolate milk leaking out from under her bedroom door,” Filthy continued as if Diamond hadn’t interrupted him, his eyes suddenly looking more lined. “When he went in, though, he... he saw... Please, Princess, I know we don’t have a right to ask, but we could really use your help.”

Twilight would have told him that he didn’t need to worry about asking her, but put it aside. If something was wrong with Screwball, she wanted to know if she could help.

The three ponies headed back towards the Rich Manor, which Twilight noted had dark clouds hovering over it, though only above the spot where Screwball’s room was located.

They were joined not long after by Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, both of whom they ran past, and tried to catch up to find out what was going on.

Entering the manor, the sound of an angry, scolding voice could be heard drifting to them as they headed towards Screwball’s bedroom.

“...being a whining sook,” Spoiled Rich’s voice carried to them as they moved at a quick pace. Rounding a corner, they found her and Randolph standing in front of Screwball’s bedroom door. Well, Randolph was a little further back, whilst Spoiled was hammering her hoof on the door. “Your chocolate milk is going to ruin the upholstery. And don’t get me started on—”

“Dear, the princess has arrived,” Filthy cut off his wife.

Spoiled turned, her eyes falling on Twilight and widening.

Twilight paid her no mind, however, noticing the pool of chocolate milk coming from under the door frame.

She glanced to Filthy Rich, who nodded sadly. She took this as permission and moved over to the door, before opening it with her magic. she hadn’t meant to do so without knocking first, but assumed that, with her mother having been banging on it for Celestia only knows how long, Screwball wouldn’t have paid attention anyway.

“Screwball?” she called softly as she slowly pushed it open and entered, ignoring the extra chocolate milk that flowed past her hooves as she did so.

What she saw made her eyes widen.

Screwball’s room had pink clouds floating atop the ceiling and chocolate rain was pouring from them, soaking everything in the room. Screwball herself was sitting in the middle of her bed, just sitting, her head bent down, as the rain poured down around her.

Her mane was plastered against her from all the chocolate rain and she looked soaked. However, it was the aura the filly was giving off that worried Twilight.

It was an aura of utter despair. She had seen this a few times in her past, before and after coming to Ponyville. It never led well, and with this being Screwball, the results of whatever was wrong could prove disastrous if not taken care of.

“Screwball?” Twilight called out, louder this time, her voice worried.

The filly murmured something, but Twilight couldn’t make it.

“Screwball, what’s wrong?” she asked, coming over, her own mane and coat being spared the torrent of chocolate milk due to a barrier spell, which she tried to extend to Screwball too, but found herself blocked.

I killed her,” the filly murmured, but it was so quiet Twilight still couldn’t make it out.

“Screwball, please, tell me what’s wrong,” she asked, leaning closer to try and nuzzle the clearly distraught filly. “Why are you holing up in your room and making it rain chocolate milk, when—?”

“I KILLED HER!” the filly shouted, looking to Twilight with eyes filled with nothing but despair.

Twilight stumbled back from the sudden outburst, before blood ran cold as she took in the words the filly had spoken. “Wh-what do you mean?”

“It’s my fault! She would’ve been fine, if not for me! She’s dead, and it’s all because of me!” the filly wailed, tears streaming from her eyes as the chocolate milk continued to pour around them.

Twilight blinked, trying to understand. “Screwball, what do you mean? What’s your fault? You can tell me—”

“Just leave me alone!” she was interrupted, the heartache in the young filly’s voice tearing at Twilight’s heart. “Spoiled was right all along! I’m a monster! I don’t deserve to live! Just leave me to rot in here!”

And with that, Twilight found herself blown out of the room and the door slamming shut behind her.

“What...? What just happened?” Rainbow asked, looking at everypony gathered.

“I... I don’t know,” Twilight shook her head.

“We need to help her,” Fluttershy said, looking close to tears herself. “Whatever’s wrong, we need to help Screwball through this.”

“I... I don’t know how we can,” Twilight said sadly after lighting her horn. “I just scanned and Screwball has placed so many wards over her room that no magic can get inside.”

“What about Discord?” Rainbow suggested, though her tone made it sound like it was the last thing she wanted to say. “He’s the whole reason Screwball has her powers anyway. Can’t we get him to try and help out? He goes on about how he sees her like his daughter, after all.”

“He does what?” the fillies actual parents asked, though Twilight noticed how Filthy’s tone was of anger, whilst Spoiled’s sounded skeptical.

“Would if I could, Rainbow Crash,” a voice said, causing them all to look to one of the picture frames on the wall.

It was of Stinkin’ Rich and Granny Smith and her family when she was younger, all standing in front of his first official store. However, standing behind them all was someone that had not been there. A draconequus, who was slumping against Stinkin’ Rich’s shoulder, pouting.

“Discord,” Twilight said disapprovingly, “get out of that photo.”

He shrugged, popping away and reappearing in front of them all. Diamond, Filthy and Spoiled noticeably backed away as he loomed over them all.

“Um, what did you mean?” Fluttershy asked, looking up at him.

He continued to pout, folding his arms and looking sourly at the door that was still leaking chocolate milk. “She’s blocking me out as well.”

“How can she block you?” Rainbow Dash glared at him, still peeved for the Crash remark. “You’ve more power than her, don’t you?”

Discord snorted. “Yes and no. We’re both chaotic beings, so we have some hold over each other that the other doesn’t. In this case, she is able to stop me from going some places by blocking me out; including some other dimension she tends to like visiting for whatever reason.”

“Other dimension?” Fluttershy asks, looking confused.

“Screwball can visit other realities?” Twilight asked, her mouth open wide.

Discord shrugged. “Hello. Being’s of chaos? Hopping between dimensions is foal’s play to us. And no, Twilight Sparkle, I do not know which dimension she went to. Now, if you don’t mind, all this talk is boring me. Toodaloo.”

And with that, he was just gone.

After several moments, they all looked to each other.

“So, if Discord’s not helping, what d’ we do now?” Dash asked, looking to Twilight.

“I don’t know,” Twilight murmured, frowning. “I think I’ll send a message to the princesses. Maybe they’ll have an idea of what we can do.”

“I wish we knew what was upsetting her so much,” Fluttershy said sadly, looking at the door to Screwball’s room. “I don’t like seeing Screwball so sad.”

“Technically, we heard how sad she is. Twilight’s the only one who saw how sad she is out of the three of us. But, yeah, we still need t’ help her,” Dash added after getting frowns from the other two winged ponies.

They assured Filthy and Diamond that they’d see what they could do to help Screwball, before heading out.

As they were leaving, Spoiled looked to the door with a sneer, murmuring under her breath so nopony would hear, “Finally, the monster knows her place.”

___________________________________________________________

Luna walked through the dreamscape, searching through Screwball’s memories.

After the newly crowned Princess Twilight had sent herself and Celestia a message informing that of Screwball’s current state, the Alicorn of the night had taken it upon herself to find out what ailed the young chaotic filly. She felt it was the least she could do in repayment to her, after what she’d done.

Getting Screwball asleep had been an easy task. It seemed the filly had been refusing to sleep since the day she returned home from her inter dimensional travels, thus, a light sleep spell and even she, with all her Chaos Magic, hadn’t been able to fight the Alicorn’s influence.

It was unfortunate that this had to occur so soon. With the summit in the Crystal Empire in a week, she wasn’t sure if it would be a bad thing, having to handle such a delicate task now. But she couldn’t leave it til after, either.

Finally, Luna found the relevant memory. Entering it, she found herself in a place she had not been in centuries, though could still tell where she was.

It was the alternate dimension to which Starswirl’s mirror led, though, compared to her last visit in this place, it had advanced far more than she could’ve expected since her banishment. She had thought Equestria had advanced far more than could be imagined when she returned, this world blew even Equestria’s most recent advancements away.

The moving metal carriages, both for sky and air were intriguing, and she wanted to learn more. However, she controlled her impulses. She was not here to learn how far the alternate world had advanced in her absence; she was here to aid a good friend, to whom she owed a great debt.

Glancing around, she spotted the memory Screwball, in the shape of this world’s dominant beings, sitting atop a building, looking down at a see-through screen of some kind.

Willing herself in range, she looked after Screwball’s shoulder and saw what the young one was seeing. It was not pleasant and almost caused Luna to panic, before remembering this was not her world, thus what she was seeing did not apply to her directly.

On the screen was some kind of display of an article of some sort. The headline read: Brutal Beating in Canterlot.

The first story was about a young girl who had been attacked by a gang of thugs shortly after returning from a vacation she’d been having with a friend overseas. The odd thing was, the thugs had been the ones to bring her to the hospital, claiming they had no idea why they’d beaten the girl as badly as they had. All they could say is they remembered a trio of teenagers singing some kind of humming song, before finding themselves standing around the bruised and beaten girl.

The girl’s name, however, was Blessed Moon and the article mentioned her mother being a woman named Luna.

The human Blessed Moon had been rushed into surgery, however was still in bad condition. Her ribs had been broken, as well as her arms and legs and she’d suffered severe concussions.

It was my fault. Turning around, Luna saw the pony Screwball sitting not far away, staring at her human self, her eyes filled with a sorrow Luna knew only too well. I made them angry, changed their memories to think a girl looking like her did what did to them. I didn’t think she’d have a counterpart here. I... I caused this.

At once the sky darkened and chocolate rain became to pour down around them.

Luna glanced over the edge of the building and panic built inside her. The chocolate milk was rising quickly, flooding the area. It was reach them in no time. Screwball was going to drown in her own misery.

Screwball, she said, coming over and taking her in her wings, it was not your fault. You could not have known.

I should have looked closer! the filly wailed, trying to push Luna away. Luckily, in the Dream Realm, Luna had as much power as both Screwball and Discord, so their own magic could not overpower her here. There was a reason Discord had never tried to mess with dreams. He hated having to fight fair. I should have gone looking after giving you Blessed! I should’ve realized she could’ve had a counterpart! But I didn’t look after my first try and this is what happened! It’s my fault she’s dead!

Luna blinked, confused. As far as she recalled, article had never said the human version of her daughter had died. Calling on her magic, she pulled the screen the human Screwball was looking at over and looked it over carefully.

Finding the cause of why Screwball said what she did, Luna sighed and looked down at the sobbing filly. That world’s Blessed Moon is not dead, Screwball.

She is! the filly wailed, looking up at the Alicorn. The article says that three days after she was admitted, her bed became vacant. I know what that means, Luna. It means she died. She died and it’s all my fault!

Luna sighed again. it would seem, despite everything, even Screwball could overlook simple details. Had you read the entire article, it says that the reason her bed was vacant is because, when her nurse went to check in on her one morning three days after she’d been admitted, the bed was empty, as if Blessed Moon had gotten up and just gone somewhere.

There was silence save the sound of thunder in the clouds and the pouring chocolate rain and the chocolate milk sloshing around as it gathered.

After several moments, the filly looked up at her with bloodshot eyes, filled with the smallest hint of hope under confusion. Wha... what?

Luna gave a wry smile. The article clearly states that Blessed Moon simply vanished. The hospital staff had the whole building and areas around it searched, but found naught a trace of the young girl. She did not die, Screwball. In fact, if I am guessing right, I have a good idea as to what really happened to Blessed Moon.

Author's Note:

:ajsleepy: i don't like how this turned out, the later part, that is.

i wanted to show to everyone who keeps complaining about how OP i'm making Screwball seem that even she can make mistakes, and they do have consequences. in this case, making the sirens remember Nyx's appearance as the girl who humiliated them, without doing a proper search, even after pony Blessed Moon came to be.

Next chapter, i will finally be doing the Equestria Girl's chapter arch. Been looking forward to this one for a while.

Hope you could enjoy this, even though i feel this chapter tanks compared to what i wanted it to be.

til next time, later everypony

ps :yay: Changelings are back!

PreviousChapters Next