• Published 27th Nov 2015
  • 1,065 Views, 36 Comments

The Clockwork Pony - Blackbird2



After being introduced to the concepts of "robots" from the Other Twilight, Princess Twilight decides to try to build one of her own. What could possibly go wrong?!

  • ...
2
 36
 1,065

Where Do I Belong?

The Clockwork Pony

Chapter 3: Where Do I Belong?

The steady, rythmic ticking of Tik Tok’s heart filled the castle’s library. It provided the perfect soundtrack to the slow, almost methodical, pace with which she was reading her current book. After Twilight recovered from the shock of how quickly Tik Tok had read every book in the library, she had ordered more so the metal pony would have additional reading material. But these gifts came with the provision that she had to actually take her time to read them. To really absorb and savor every word and nuance in the story as Twilight had put it. That struck Tik Tok as odd since she was able to savor every word even with her rapid reading. She could remember every detail and plot point and could automatically tell which page a certain passage was on. It just seemed like a waste of time to read slowly. Of course Spike and Rainbow Dash suggested it was because Twilight was feeling embarrassed by not being able to read as quickly as her creation did. The Princess scoffed at this idea but something in her voice and mannerisms made Tik Tok think they were right. Regardless, she would do as she was told because above all else she wanted her creator to be happy with her.

So here she sat, reading at a painfully slow pace and wondering what was so enjoyable about it. She was distracted from her reading though when her left ear swiveled at the sound of Twilight’s voice approaching the library. She wasn’t alone though as Tik Tok could also make out the distinctive voice of Rainbow Dash. She stood up and made her way towards the front of the library where the voices were coming from. As she did she could make out more and more of their conversation.

“I’m still not sure it was a good idea to let Starlight go back to her old village alone,” Rainbow said cautiously.

“We have to show her we trust her Dash,” Twilight countered. “Sending somepony else with her would give the impression we still think she’s a villain.”

“And I’m still not sure she isn’t! Who’s to say she won’t just steal everypony’s Cutie Marks and brainwash them again then lead them here to your doorstep!”

If that happens we’ll be ready for them. And I’ll take all the blame for it,” Twilight said sternly then sighed a bit. “But I don’t think that’s going to happen. I really do believe that Starlight can, and has, changed. She just needs to see the magic of friendship. And to be good friends we have to put our trust in her.”

Rainbow Dash sighed and shook her head in defeat.

“Fine, fine, I’ll go with your plan,” she muttered then gave a sideways smile. “You’re just lucky you’re so good at giving those friendship speeches no pony can turn down.”

Twilight puffed out her chest and her wings proudly.

“Well I have had a lot of practice with them,” she stated, placing hoof on her chest.

Her pride quickly fell, however, when she heard Rainbow snickering a bit.

“What?” she asked irritably

“I just remembered that Starlight actually did turn down your first friendship speech to her! Remember when she told you to be quiet in the middle of it?! The look on your face was priceless!” the Pegasus managed to say before she broke into a fit of hysterical laughter.

Twilight glared at her.

“Yes. I remember. How hilarious,” she muttered in a deadpan tone.

“Oh come on, lighten up!” Dash encouraged her with a playful nudge. “You got through to her in the end. Probably.”

The purple Alicorn sighed. “You’re right. I just want all of this to work out well.”

“Course you do,” Rainbow smiled and gave her a peek on the cheek. “It’s part of what makes you so loveable.”

Twilight blushed and dipped her head a bit.

“Dash...” she whispered happily.

It was at this moment they both finally seemed to register the ticking sound next to them and they turned their heads to indeed find Tik Tok standing there and looking at them curiously.

“Who is Starlight?” she asked with a tilt of her head.

The pair looked at each other for a second.

“Yeah I think you got this one,” Rainbow Dash said as she turned around. “Have fun! Later!”

With that she flew out of the library and down the hall before Twilight could even get a word out.

“I hate when she does that!” she muttered before she turned back to her creation. “Well, Tik Tok, you see Starlight Glimmer is...well...she’s a pony I’m trying to help.”

“Oh. And you’re doing that by letting her be somewhere else?” Tik Tok asked.

“It’s...complicated,” Twilight. “But if things work out like I think they will, you’ll probably be meeting her here soon enough. Then we can explain everything. I think.”

“Alright,” the robot nodded. “While on the subject of other places, when do you think I’ll be able to leave the castle?”

Twilight’s body stiffened at the question. After about a second or so of standing perfectly still her mouth pulled backwards into an awkward smile. She knew this subject would come up eventually but she still wasn’t quite sure how to give a comforting answer.

“Well...you see...about that...” she started, rubbing the back of her neck nervously. “There are still some...things we need to get ready before we introduce you to the rest of Ponyville.”

“Things?” Tik Tok asked, tilting her head the other way.

“Just...preparations is all. So that everypony else can get used to how...unique you are,” she said with the same awkward smile.

“Because you think they’ll be afraid of me,” the mechanical mare remarked sadly as she lowered her head.

“Hey now,” Twilight said softly as she reached a hoof out under Tik Tok’s chin and made her look up at her. “They are going to be...surprised by you but I don’t want that to discourage you. The ponies in this town can react a bit...extremely to things they might not know at first but once they’ve gotten to know you, I know they’ll welcome you with open hooves. And that you’ll be a great part of this community.”

“Do you really believe that?” Tik Tok asked, her glass eyes shining brightly with hope.

“Yes I do,” the purple princess reassured her and gave her a tight hug. “It’s just going to take some time.”

“Thank you. Mother,” she whispered as she returned the hug.

Again Twilight’s body stiffened a bit.

“Just...maybe not go so much with the whole ‘mother’ thing,” she requested.

“Oh. Alright,” Tik Tok agreed even though the disappointment was evident in her synthesized voice.

“Right,” Twilight nodded then brightened up again. “So where have you gotten in your reading today?”

Tik Tok also seemed to brighten up at the question.

“Well right now I’m about half way through The Lunar Republic,” she answered. “It’s definitely a fascinating look on what might have happened if it had been Princess Celestia who was banished instead of Princess Luna.”

“Oh it definitely is! Especially with all the details they go into about that world,” Twilight beamed then frowned just a bit. “And definitely a lot better than if Nightmare Moon had taken over. I can tell you that from experience.”

“You can?” Tik Tok asked, tilting her head a bit.

Twilight shook her head and gave a dismissive wave of her right hoof.

“Nevermind. It would take way too long to explain. How about we just go over what you think of the book so far?”

“Agreed,” the other mare nodded.

( - ) ( - ) ( - ) ( - ) ( - ) ( - )

After having a nice, long discussion about what Equestria would have been like under the 1,000 year rule of Princess Luna, Twilight was unfortunately called away by the Cutie Map for an urgent “friendship crisis” as she called it. So once again Tik Tok found herself wandering the surprisingly vast, empty corridors of the castle all by herself. Though maybe she wasn’t quite as alone as she thought. Her left ear swiveled as she picked up some shuffling sounds coming from the kitchen. When she arrived she saw Spike standing up on a chair so he could reach the freezer on top of the refrigerator and pull out a carton of ice cream.

“Spike? What are you doing?” she asked.

The baby dragon nearly fell off the chair from the startled jumped the unexpected voice made him do. Once he regained his balance, and breath, he looked over to see the metal mare giving him a quizzical stare.

“Oh Tik Tok, it’s you,” he said with a relieved sigh. He then looked a little surprised at himself. “Wow I must be getting used to that ticking of yours.”

“Is that...a good thing?” Tik Tok asked in confusion.

“I...guess. It definitely means I’m used to you being around,” Spike answered as he stepped off the chair.

“So what are you doing?” she asked again.

He paused mid-step then looked down at the carton of ice cream in his claws before he looked over to Tik Tok with a guilty expression on his face.

“Please don’t tell Twilight,” he begged.

“Why not? Are you not supposed to eat that?” she inquired with a tilt of her head.

“Well...it’s not that I’m not supposed to eat it, it’s just Twilight doesn’t like me eating too much,” he explained. “But whenever she and the others go out for their ‘Friendship Missions’ I...kinda like to help myself to a few extra spoonfuls.”

“And you do this even though you know it’s wrong?”

“Well gee when you put it that way, it sounds like I’m being sneaky or something,” Spike muttered.

“Well aren’t you?”

The baby dragon narrowed his eyes in annoyance before he let out a frustrated shout and threw his arms into the air in defeat.

“Okay I am! I just want some extra ice scream! Is that so wrong?!” he exclaimed before he fell to the floor dramatically.

“In essence no,” Tik Tok confirmed as she walked over to him and helped him up. “But to do it like this I believe it is. Not to mention your plan is doomed to failure because eventually Twilight would discover the ever depleting ice cream in the cartons and would assume it was you who ate them.”

Spike blinked as he mulled over words.

“Huh. I never thought about that. I guess that does make sense.” He looked at the carton in his claws. “But...maybe just a little bit for this one last time?”

“I believe that would be acceptable,” Tik Tok replied, her mouth lighting up in her unique smile.
Spike smiled back before he rushed over to the counter to pull out a spoon and started to dig in. As he dug into the delectable delight he again seemed to phase out Tik Tok’s presence there until she spoke up again.

“Spike. May I ask you...what exactly is your relationship with Twilight?” she asked as she sat next to him.

For the second time in less than an hour the baby dragon was surprised to the point of nearly toppling over himself. This time, however, he had the added “bonus” of nearly choking on the spoon he had in his mouth when she asked her extremely unexpected question. He coughed a bit to clear out the bits of ice scream that hadn’t gone down just right. Once he regained his composure, and ability to speak, he looked back at her.

“Wh-what do you mean?” he asked with one last cough.

“From what you have both said, Twilight hatched you from an egg and helped raise you. Would that not make her your mother?” Tik Tok clarified.

“Well it wasn’t just Twilight,” he explained. “Her whole family helped out in bringing me up.”

“So then...would that make you her little brother?”

“Honestly, we’ve never really sat down and discussed it,” he said with a shrug. “We’ve never really needed to. We’re definitely family but never really needed to define in what way. We just care and look out for each other. That’s all that ever really mattered.”

“Yes I suppose you’re right, that is all that really matters,” Tik Tok agreed in a slightly dejected tone.

“What? You really want to call Twilight your mom?” Spike asked as he picked up his discarded spoon.

“I...I...I don’t know!” she cried out.

She then let out a scratchy static sound that Spike could only assume was her version of a frustrated groan. Which seemed to be a correct guess as she paired it up with slowly sink to the floor and laying her chin on her crossed hooves. Her eye lenses narrowed a bit as her tone became rather melancholic.

“She is my creator. So according to every piece of literature I’ve read, that would make her technically my mother. But she seems to be disturbed by that idea. Is she not proud of me? Is she ashamed of me? Is that why she won’t let me leave the castle?”

“Well,” Spike started as he sat down next to her. “There’s definitely one thing you have in common with Twilight. You both over think things too much!”

Tik Tok turned her head towards him. “We do?”

“Yeah! And you both work yourself up into a funk over it,” he sighed and placed a comforting claw on her cold, metal shoulder. “Look Twilight is proud of you. She’s proud of all the stuff she makes! You should have heard her go on and on about the new filing system she came up with for the library. Yeesh!”

She tilted her head quizzically.

“Nevermind,” he waved off. “The point is there’s absolutely no way she’s not proud of you! And she’s definitely not ashamed of you! I just think the whole ‘mom’ thing catches her off guard. Plus she’s not really a pony who likes to have things pushed on her cause she’ll just push back. You have to ease her into the idea. Just give her time and I’m sure she’ll come around to it.”

“Yes. Time,” Tik Tok nodded. “I suppose my concept of time is different than yours so I keep forgetting about patience.”

“That or you’ve been hanging around Rainbow Dash too long,” he noted before he took another bite of ice cream.

She giggled. Surprising both of them.

“I...didn’t know you could do that!” Spike remarked.

“Neither did I,” Tik Tok replied, touching her metal mouth. “But...I enjoyed it.”

“Good! Then you should definitely try to do more of that and less moping.”

“Yes. Yes I believe I will,” she replied then slowly stood up. “Thank you Spike. This has been a most enlightening and uplifting conversation.”

“Hey no problem. Anytime you need to talk I’m here for ya,” Spike told her as he stood up as well. He then looked down at the half-eaten carton of ice cream in his claws. “And you promise not to tell Twilight about this?”

Her mouth light flashed in a literal bright smile.

“Your secret’s safe with me,” she reassured him.

( - ) ( - ) ( - ) ( - ) ( - ) ( - )

A little later in the day, Tik Tok again found herself walking aimlessly around the castle’s halls. She stopped in front of one of the large, stained glass windows and pushed it open so she could look out at the town spread out before her. How she longed to be out among its ponies and take in the sights and sounds. To get to interact with ponies besides Twilight and her friends. It’s not like she didn’t like them or anything, but all their talk about friendship made her want to go make more friends of her own. Especially given all the stories she read about young ponies journeying far from their home on an exciting adventure. She wanted to experience that most of all!

The stories, she mused, tapping her chin and producing a light “clink” sound. There are some where the plucky protagonist disobeys their parental figure and sneaks out of their home to find the adventure themselves. Perhaps I could try that. After all if Spike can have his little secrets while Twilight’s away...

Her mouth lights glowed brighter than they ever had before in what could be considered a literal beaming smile. She spun away from the window then galloped through the expansive hallways as fast as her gears could take her. She stopped, however, when she passed a hallway mirror and remembered her unusual appearance and Twilight’s words on why that might startle some ponies. Thankfully she knew just how to remedy that problem. She made a quick stop by one of the many castle closets and pulled out a dark green, hooded cloak. She draped the cloak over herself and pulled the hood up then continued on her way. She stopped briefly again once she reached the door then looked around to see if Spike or any other pony was around to spot her. When she was sure the coast was clear she pushed the doors open and stepped out into the bright, sunny day.

She paused for a moment to truly appreciate actually being out in the sun instead of seeing it behind the castle windows. It was much brighter than she would have thought and no doubt would have been warmer too if she had the ability to feel such things. She did lament that for a second but she was far too excited about being outside to let anything get her down too much! Once she adjusted to her new surroundings she ventured fourth into the town proper.

It was a short walk from the castle to the center of Ponyville but the change in scenery was still incredible to Tik Tok. Like all the buildings that sprawled out before her. Even if Ponyville wasn’t a grand city as she had read about, it was still amazing to see after spending all that time cooped up in the castle. From the homes to the businesses to even the small vender tents spread around, it was all so incredible to see. Then, of course, there were all the ponies! So many ponies walking and flying about. She had read about towns full of ponies like this but actually experiencing it was something completely different! She believed the correct word she was looking for was “exhilarating”.

Unfortunately, she was so caught up in the sights and sounds of her new surroundings that she failed to notice those same ponies she was so enthralled with were giving her odd looks. After all the citizens of Ponyville have a checkered past with strangers in cloaks. Sure they could end up being nice and a welcome addition to the town like Zecora but they could also be crazed mares looking to take over the town like Trixie. So while Tik Tok blissfully trotted down the street she was met with wary gazes from those around her. Also some scratching their ears as they wondered just where that ticking sound was coming from.

One such pony actually stopped in the middle of his conversation when he heard it.

“My word, do you hear that ticking sound?” the brown earth pony asked as he flicked his right ear. “Is there a clock somewhere nearby I’m unaware of?”

“Oh I’m sure it’s nothing Doc,” Ditzy Doo waved off.

“I suppose you’re right,” Dr. Hooves remarked even as he scanned the crowd from the outdoor table the pair were seated at. “Still it’s very odd to just randomly hear a clock ticking. Especially one that seems to be...moving.”

He narrowed his eyes on the cloaked figure that seemed to be wandering rather aimlessly through the market place. It definitely seemed like the ticking was coming from it.

“A ticking clock the moves. Why does that seem so familiar?” he mused as he scratched his chin.

“Cause somepony’s probably moving a grandfather clock,” Ditzy answered him. “I used to do it all the time before...um...well let’s just say some ponies don’t like it when they get damaged during transport,” she said with a sheepish grin.

“No I definitely think it’s coming from that pony there,” he informed her, pointing towards the figure. “I swear I’ve dealt with something like this before. Even twice before. But I can’t quite place my hoof on it.” He let out a frustrated sigh and shook his head. “Getting too old. Head’s too full of stuff!”

“Oh come on Doc, you’re not that old!” the gray mare reassured him.

“Oh you’d be surprised,” he remarked with a wily smile before he went back to his daisy and rose pedal sandwich.

Ditzy ignored his cryptic comment as she had gotten used to them by now and instead focused her mismatched eyes on the cloaked figure. While she wasn’t sure why the Doc thought this situation was familiar, she was very familiar with the suspicious and cold looks the other ponies were giving the newcomer. It made her cringe slightly as it brought some very unpleasant memories back to the surface. She shook her head to clear them out and resolved that she would talk to this newcomer after she was done here. It was high time that this town stopped being afraid of every new pony or whatever that came trotting in.

While that life affirming moment was happening a few yards away from her, Tik Tok continued to wander around in utter amazement. Eventually her optics settled on a small stand labeled “Heroes of Equestria” that was selling small figurines of Twilight and her friends. She “smiled” then sprinted over to the stand, nearly crashing into it in excitement.

“These are amazing!” she exclaimed as she stuck her face right next to the figurine of Twilight.

“Like ‘em, eh?” the burly unicorn behind the table remarked proudly. “Made them all myself. Figured since the Princess of Friendships and the Elements of Harmony are living right here in Ponyville we might as well celebrate the fact. Plus it helps remind folks that they have saved Equestria a few times over. Don’t know why ponies keep seeming to forget that.”

“How did you make them?” she asked and tilted her head up to face him.

“Well you see I-” he stopped when he finally got a good look at her metallic face and let out a frightened scream before he fell off his stool, nearly knocking the stand down. “M-monster! MONSTER!!”

“What? No! I’m just-” Tik Tok started to defend herself when another cry rang out.

“Monster?! Where?!”

“Here! Right here! It tried to attack me!” the stand owner screamed.

“No I didn’t!” the robotic pony countered, now turning to the frightened mob that at quickly forming. “I was just talking to him!”

“Then what are you hiding under that hood!” Bon Bon shouted accusingly.

“Yeah!” the crowd cheered out in a chorus.

“It-it’s nothing! I’m just...you know...cold?” Tik Tok offered quickly.

“A likely story! Let’s find out what she really looks like!” Cloud Kicker exclaimed before she swooped down and stole the cloak off Tik Tok.

A collective gasp rang out from the crowd at the revelation of the metal mare before them.

“I told ya she was a monster!” the stand owner shouted.

“The horror! The horror!” Daisy screamed in her usual melodramatic fashion before fainting, followed naturally by Roseluck and Lily.

“No! No! I...I...I...” Tik Tok tried to defend herself but the word just keep repeating in her voice box.

“Let’s run her out of town!” a voice from the mob cried out.

“YEAH!!” the rest of them agreed.

Seeing no other alternative, Tik Tok fled as fast her gears would take her away from the scene. Which, it turned out, was actually quite a bit faster than most of the earth ponies and unicorns following her. It was only the Pegasi who seemed to be able to keep up with her and most of them were still keeping their distance out of fear. As they chased her through the rest of town, they passed by Berry Punch who stared after the mechanical mare then looked down at the mug in her hoof before tossing it away.

True to their word the mob chased her to the edge of town where they apparently lost interest. Tik Tok didn’t care though and kept running. She wanted to get as far away from them as possible. She wanted to stop this terrible feeling coursing through her. But most of all..she wanted to cry. She now understood perfectly what those emotional scenes in all the books she read were about and the fact that she was physically unable to cry made it seem even worse. Somehow she knew just being able to let it out all might help her. But she couldn’t. Instead she ran on her brass hooves until she just couldn’t take it anymore and collapsed in a thicket of bushes. At least there it was unlikely that any other pony would find her. The irises to her optics nearly closed all the way in the only form of sadness she could express.

And that’s exactly what she felt, utter sadness. Part of her mind knew she should be fascinated by this new development but the rest of it was too busy wallowing in the overpowering emotion. She had just wanted to make friends. To be part of the town. Be part of something outside of the castle walls! But Twilight was correct, they wouldn’t accept her. Maybe they couldn’t accept her. She was just too different for them to understand. Maybe she was meant to know only Twilight and her friends. Maybe the world just didn’t want her to make friends of her own.

“Hello?” a pensive voice rang out.

Tik Tok’s head bolted up and she scanned the area, her gears shifting in case she needed to run again

“W-who’s there?” she called out cautiously.

“Please, don’t be afraid,” the voice said again.

“Me afraid?” Tik Tok asked with a tilt of her head. “Shouldn’t you be afraid of me?”

“I dunno? Should I be?”

“No,” she replied, lowering her head. “I just want...”

“A friend?”

“Yes.”

“Then I can be your friend,” the voice offered.

“Who are you?” Tik Tok asked.

“Hold on.”

There was a rustling in the bushes behind her and Tik Tok quickly spun around to prepare herself for whatever may appear. After a few more seconds of rustling sounds, a gray mare finally sprang forward from the bushes and rolled to stop right in front of her. The blonde Pegasus seemed a bit dazed as she sat up and rubbed the back of her head nervously.

“Sorry I got a hoof caught in the bushes back there,” she explained.

Tik Tok just stared at this strange mare smiling sheepishly up at her. Once again her mind was split. She knew she should ask her why she wasn’t afraid of her and how did she find her and what she wanted but instead she could help but focus on...

“Your eyes,” she said softly.

“Yeah,” the mare sighed and looked away. “They’re...weird I know.”

“Not nearly as weird as mine,” Tik Tok found herself commenting.

“That’s true,” the other blonde replied then giggled.

Despite herself, Tik Tok found herself giggling as well. She stopped, however, when another question came to the forefront of her mind.

“Is that why you’re not afraid of me?” she asked as she sat down as well.

“Kinda,” the mare replied, getting into a much more comfortable sitting position. “I just know what it’s like to be treated badly because you’re different.”

“But you’re still not as different as I am. At least you’re a real pony,” the robot said solemnly.

The mare reached out and touched her shoulder, causing it to give a slight “clink” sound.

“I dunno. You seem pretty real to me,” she quipped.

“That’s...not what I meant. I mean...” Tik Tok stopped and shook her head. “Nevermind what I meant. I’m just surprised you would want to be around me Ms...?”

A lull formed in the conversation as the Pegasus just stared blankly at her with her walled eyes. They soon widened with realization.

“Oh! Oh I forgot to introduce myself!” she cried out and knocked a hoof against her head. “Sorry I can be a bit absent minded a times. My name’s Ditzy Doo!”

“Pleasure to meet you Ditzy Doo, my name is Tik Tok,” she greeted back.

“Oooh that’s a pretty name!” Ditzy complimented.

“Thank you. Pinkie Pie gave it to me. Do you know her?”

“Of course I know! Everypony in town knows her! She makes sure of that!” she remarked happily. “Plus she makes the best chocolate banana muffins in all of Ponyville!”

“Yes I’ve seen her bake many extraordinary things,” Tik Tok beamed then lowered her head again. “Though I’m unable to actually eat them.”

“You mean you’ve never had a muffin before?!” Ditzy exclaimed in horror. “That is sad!”

“Yes but I don’t require food to function. Still from what I’ve heard it sounds...interesting to try.”

“Oh it is! It really is! You gotta figure out a way to eat! There are so many different kinds of muffins I can show you!” she explained, practically salivating at the thought of them.

Tik Tok chuckled. “You really do like muffins, don’t you?”

“Oh yes!” Ditzy nodded. “So much so some ponies even think my name is ‘Muffins’. Which is a little embarrassing I admit though...” she sighed and lowered her own head. “It’s much better than what they usually call me.”

“And what is that?”

“‘Derpy Hooves’,” she said the name bitterly.

Tik Tok tilted her head. “Why would they call you that?”

“Because of this,” she pointed to her off kilter eyes, “I get a little...clumsy at times. And...honestly I’m not the smartest mare in town. So when I mess up there’s always some pony there to say ‘Oh there goes Derpy Hooves, derping it up again’!” She sighed. “I hate it.”

“I’m sorry,” the metal mare comforted her.

“Thanks,” Ditzy replied as she wiped a tear away from her right eye.

She then seemed to perk up again and looked at Tik Tok.

“But that’s exactly why I came to talk to you! I saw how the others ran you out of town and it’s just not fair for them to do that you because you’re...different! I’m tired of ponies around here doing that! I knew you’d be upset so I came to offer my hoof in friendship!”

Tik Tok blinked in her unique way at the comment. The stilted expression on her sculpted face really didn’t portray shocked feeling she had at the moment. Thankfully she was able to express her joy in the motion of her mouth lights lighting up at once.

“You mean?! You really want to be my friend?!” she asked in amazement.

“Of course!” Ditzy said proudly.

“Oh thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” Tik Tok blathered as she pulled the Pegasus in for a tight hug that was maybe a bit too much.

“Too...tight! Can’t...breathe!” she gasped.

“Sorry!” Tik Tok squeaked and let her go.

“It’s fine,” Ditzy reassured her after catching her breath. “But there’s just one thing I need to know first.”

“What’s that?”

“What exactly are you?!” she asked, giving the metallic pony another light tap.

Tik Tok laughed at the question. Harder than she had ever laughed before. Something about hearing that question asked so innocently filled her with so much joy.

“I’m a robot,” she revealed. “An artificial pony made by Princess Twilight Sparkle.”

“Ooooh!” Ditzy nodded. “Yeah that makes sense. She’s always inventing stuff. Just like my friend Doctor Hooves!” She paused and tapped her muzzle. “You know I don’t know why those two haven’t worked together yet. I bet they’d make something amazing!”

“I’m sure they would. Twilight is quite the amazing pony,” Tik Tok sighed.

“I figure she had to be to go from a normal unicorn to an alicorn princess. And get her own castle!”

Tik Tok winced a bit. “Yes the castle is...nice.”

“You’ve been inside it?!” Ditzy asked then shook her head at her own stupid question. “Wait of course you have, you were made there. That was dumb of me.”

“It’s alright.”

“So what’s it like in there?!”

Tik Tok hesitated. “I...would much rather hear about what it’s like here in Ponyville.”

“Oh well that I can tell you all about! You see...”

( - ) ( - ) ( - ) ( - ) ( - ) ( - )

True to her word, Ditzy did tell Tik Tok all about Ponyville. So much so that the sun was starting to set by the time she had finally finished up. It was a lot of information to take in and most of it was jumbled, second hoof accounts but Tik Tok eagerly listened to every single word. The town seemed just as alive and vibrant as she had imagined. She just hoped that someday she would be accepted by the town’s folk so she could take part in this grand adventure known as life.

“...and that’s brings us to today and me meeting you,” Ditzy concluded.

“Thank you for all of that Ditzy,” Tik Tok told her.

“Oh you’re welcome! Not many ponies like to hear me talk that much,” she confessed. “But now it’s late and I really need to go pick up my daughter from the sitter’s.”

“You have a daughter?” she asked with renewed interest.

“Sure do! Dinky Doo! She’s my whole world!” Ditzy proclaimed proudly.

“But...you look so young to be a mother,” Tik Tok noted.

“That’s...a story for another time,” the Pegasus replied a bit nervously. “But I’ll be happy to introduce you to her later!”

“I would love to meet her,” the metal mare nodded.

“Cool. Then I’ll see you around Tik Tok!” she said before she took to the sky.

She gave one final wave to her friend before flying off. Tik Tok waved back then let out a small hum as a form of a content sigh. Meeting the town’s folk may not have gone as she expected but she did make one friend and that was worth all the hassle. It was even worth the trouble she knew she’d get into if Twilight found out she was gone. And considering how late it was, she was probably back at the castle by now.

“Well I suppose I’d better get going and be prepared to deal with my punishment,” she remarked and stood up.

Before she could take a step, however, the glow of unicorn magic surrounded her and she felt herself lifted up into the air. She panicked at the thought that Twilight had found her and was so angry that she was levitating her without any warning. She was about to explain herself with a voice caught her off guard. An unfamiliar voice.

“What did I tell you brother? If you want to find something weird come to Ponyville!” a cheery, male voice commented.

“You’re right brother,” the slightly raspy response came. “It was worth the risk of running into those blasted Apples again for this catch. Now our side show attraction will have a tremendous main feature with...whatever this is.”

Tik Tok’s panic increased. It wasn’t Twilight! Or anypony she knew! She was at the mercy of two complete strangers. With all the possibilities speeding through her fast moving mind there was only one thing she could think to do.

“HELP!!!” she cried out desperately.


To Be Concluded...

Author's Note:

Well seems I’ve fallen back into old, bad habits of this chapter taking FAR longer than I wanted it to. But to be fair I DID have my Hearts and Hooves Day fic in between the chapters and I’ve been busy with my video series and work around the house and all sorts of things. Still I’m sorry for the wait and I’ll try not to make the conclusion take as long. Though there are a few original writing things I want to get done first before getting back into this.

Also I need to address the Starlight thing. Obviously when I started this chapter it was before the new season started. We all had an idea that Starlight was going to be in the castle but didn’t know for sure. So to cover my basis I went ahead and made mention that she’s back in her old town to patch things up. Which I still believe needs to actually BE an episode in season six. We can say that this story starts a little after the Crystaling to fudge it into continuity. The rest I’ll just make up as I go along. So does this mean that Starlight will be appearing in this fic at the end? Perhaps. After all both she and Tik Tok are just looking to make some friends and I have a feeling Twilight would push that aspect pretty hard with these two.

Course that’s if she can wrest Tik Tok away from the clutches of the surprise villains! Can you guess who they are? I think I made it rather obvious but still there’s fun to be had in wild random guessing, right?

Well join me next time when I reveal them and what the have planned for the metal mare. And how Twilight plans to get her back!

Til then!