• Published 24th Nov 2015
  • 674 Views, 10 Comments

Dodge Junction - aceotaku



Rainbow Dash, her friends and the royal guard visit Dodge Junction to investigate a missing train shipment.

  • ...
0
 10
 674

Chapter 4: Full Steam Ahead

A plume of green smoke rose up in the sky, near the private train that had brought the Royal Guards and their guests to Dodge Junction.

Zecora stood near a broken vial, a puddle of green liquid producing the strange smoke as the zebra watched impassively. She turned as she heard hoofsteps approach, along with the sound of a mare sobbing. With a subdued flash Trixie appeared suddenly, undoing her invisibility spell, tears flowing down her cheeks heavily as Zecora sighed.

“What is the matter, Trixie?” Zecora asked.

Trixie sniffled, not even bothering to hide her tears. “I...I ran away...I-I-I a-a-abandoned h-her...I-I a-abandoned Rainbow Dash!”

Zecora raised a brow. “Abandoned?”

“W-w-we were surrounded by l-law officers a-a-and I didn’t really understand but they were going to arrest us....I-I panicked and used my i-invisibility s-spell b-but I-I left Rainbow Dash and th-they took her a-away a-and...” She collapsed to the ground, covering her face with her hoof. “I r-ran away!”

“Ah that must have been when you saw my signal.” Zecora frowned. “You shouldn’t have panicked like that; Rainbow Dash is one of our most powerful allies here. I would have thought you would care more than I about her well being.”

“I-I...” Trixie gasped between sobs, losing breath. “B-But I...I got s-so scared and I panicked....”

Zecora sighed. “I hope you put the tracking crystal somewhere on her.”

Trixie blinked and gasped, eyes widening. “Oh! I-I did! W-we can find her!”

Zecora nodded. “Honestly Lulamoon, you need to act more like that character from those books you publish, your timidness is getting out of hand.”

Trixie and nodded with a whimper. “I-I know...b-but...I-I can’t seem to be able to muster up Jinx’s level of confidence...a-and I-I don’t want to be like that anymore a-a-anyway.”

Zecora shrugged and wiped the fluid off the ground in front of her, cutting off the smoke signal. “You’ll be fine Lulamoon, if you want to make up for your cowardice, all we need to do is to find Rainbow Dash and rescue her from...whatever is transpiring here.”

Trixie whimpered. “W-why do you think they took Rainbow Dash a-and tried to arrest me...?”

“It seems our thief is trying to pin the crime on us, albeit for the time being. Obviously we’re dealing with an incompetent amateur, for his actions have shown his hoof.”

“They have?”

The zebra nodded. “Indeed. First however we must rescue Rainbow Dash, surely she is not in a good postion right now.”

Trixie nodded. “R-right...” She whispered lowly. “I’m sorry Rainbow...I-I-I hope I can make it up to you...”

-----------------------------

Rainbow Dash groggily opened her eyes, looking around herself. The first thing she noticed was her friends Applejack and Twilight Sparkle lying unconscious on the floor along with a third pony she never met before. The Pegasus hurriedly trotted to the three mares, attempted to shake each one awake.

“Girls! Wake up!”

Twilight opened her eyes. “H-huh...?”

Applejack followed. “W-what happened...?”

The third mare sat up slowly. “Who...?”

Rainbow Dash sighed as she waited a minute for her friends and the stranger to get their bearings, looking around their surroundings. From what she could identify, they appeared to be in a train’s engine room, a rather well maintained one at that.

Twilight cooed as she looked around. “Hey this is an Iron Will Industustries ZZVII Astride! This model is used as IWI’s personal shipment train, due to being made with thicker iron plating in the carriages due to the dangerous materials IWI typically transports!”

Rainbow raised a brow in surprise. “Uh, thanks for the exposition, Twi. So, why are we inside such an important train?”

Cherry Jubilee looked around. “Strange, I thought these old things broke down, this one looks pretty new though.”

The pegasus turned to the red maned mare. “And you are...?”

Applejack gestured in a ladylike manner. “This lovely mare is Cherry Jubilee, she’s one of the many mechanics who work on the trains.”

Twilight smiled gently. “She’s been helping us with the investigation.”

“Oh. Uh, hey there, I’m Rainbow Dash.” The pegasus said to the earth mare, giving her a hoofshake.

Cherry Jubilee smiled wider, stars in her eyes. “THE Rainbow Dash? Oh it’s an honour to meet you ma’am!”

“Uhhh no biggie.” Rainbow chuckled, sweating nervously, and then turned serious. “Anyway about what you said, are you saying that the shipment trains are ALL broken down?”

“Well yeah, the Mayor said so himself and if the Mayor says it, it must be true right?” Cherry frowned, looking perplexed.

“But see, this train is obviously in good shape, and we’re helping to investigate missing shipments. Missing IRON WILL INDUSTRIES shipments.”
“But Iron Will DOESN’T ship anything through here.”

“Then what is this train for then!?” Rainbow blurted out irritably. “Use your head! If Iron Will Industries doesn’t use Dodge Junction, then WHY IS ONE OF THEIR PERSONAL SHIPMENT TRAINS HERE!?”

“Don’t forget those AWFUL brutes that accosted us.” Applejack interrupted. “They claimed Zecora was behind the crime but that makes no sense at all.”

Rainbow nodded. “Yeah some guys blamed Trixie too.” Her gaze turned into a glare. “Oh it couldn’t be THAT obvious....could it?”

Suddenly, a crystal lying at the edge of the room glowed softly; gaining the attention of the four mares and a familiar voice spoke through it.
“So ya saw through mah clever ruse?” Governor Bluegrass’ voice spoke out. “Probably just as well I took care of yah when Ah did.”

“Bluegrass!” Rainbow Dash snapped.

Bluegrass chuckled, his voice slightly tinny through the magical communication. “Now, ya’ll are probably wonderin’ where ya’ll are and why ya’ll are here, and Ah will explain that shortly.”

“How are you talking to us?” Twilight piped up. “Where are you?”

“Far out of sight, keepin’ mah hooves clean.” Bluegrass chuckled again. “This here device is an Iron Will Industries invention, a magical crystal that is magically linked to similarly crystal in appearance and colour, which Celestia gave to everyone in charge of every major city, town and settlement in Equestria. This one is a specially ordered one Ah got for my brother, but Ah got some spares Ah can use while Ah use this ta speak to ya.”

Applejack marched over to the crystal, angrily. “Why did you accost us and place us inside this tin can, you ruffian!?”

“Well as you have surmised, it is indeed Ah who is diverting the IWI shipments for the use of mah minion. It was easy to use mah influence and control over the train schedules to hide away the shipments and remove all trace of them even being here. You, mah ‘friends’, are about ta witness firsthoof the next step in mah smuggling operation.”

Rainbow had so many questions to ask now, but decided to focus on the most pertinent ones. “And why did you go to the trouble of sloppily framing Zecora and Trixie for your crime? And why did you bring us here?”

Bluegrass grunted irritably at the word ‘sloppy’ but decided to ignore it. “Well, it was the only way Ah could think of to halt the investigation until mah plan can be enacted upon. As for you....Ah ain’t doin’ this cause you’re meddling or anything. Really, your ‘investigation’ has no real threat to me or mah plans. No, my reasons here are far more...personal. Are ya’ll familiar with Appleoosa?”

Applejack nodded. “Why yes, we are.”

“Ya’ll took down Rotten Bad Apple, and caused him and his kin to go to prison.”

“He was robbing the bank, kidnapping mares and foals and masterminding a conspiracy to destroy a town!” Rainbow countered then blinked in confusion. “Wait, how do you know about that?”

“It was all over the papers!” Bluegrass snapped loudly. “All there in all caps: ‘Appleoosa and Buffalo make peace!’ with mah beloved cousin and nephews and niece in chains and you three mares shaking hooves with the locals! ‘Rainbow Dash and friends save town from vile conspiracy’!”

Rainbow groaned. “Oh...”

“You’re related to Rotten Bad Apple?” Twilight asked.

“Damn straight Ah am! What, ya thought the Bad Apple Clan began with Rotten and ended with his kin? Hah!” Bluegrassed snapped harshly. “No way! We are many and strong, and when Ah read who put mah cousin in bars, Ah vowed to make them pay!”

“But I’m an Apple too.” Applejack interjected. “Not willingly, of course, but still!”

“Do you think Ah care? You may be an Apple, but you AIN’T a BAD Apple!” Bluegrassed breathed heavily before calming down. “Anyway, point is, now Ah’ll get mah revenge at the same time as continuing the scheduled smuggling!”

Rainbow glared. “How? And why did you put us on the train? That just means we have first hoof evidence of your plans.”

“Oh but how will ya use it, when you’re DEAD!?” Bluegrass taunted and the four mares heard mechanical whirring around them, light flooding through the windows around them.

Rainbow dash, Applejack and Twilight looked through a window each, gasping in surprise as they saw dozens of rail tracks around them and further out a wall surrounding them completely, said wall have hundreds if not thousands of ponies sitting and cheering excitedly.

“W-What the...?” Rainbow and her friends wondered aloud.

“OH wow!” Cherry Jubilee exclaimed. “We’re in the Coliseum! This is where the race is held! The first event is the destruction derby, where one of the old, broken down trains is placed in the middle of the arena to be...smashed...by...the competitors...” She gasped. “I missed my chance to enter!”

Rainbow frowned. “I’m afraid we have a bigger problem. We’re INSIDE the train to be demolished.”

“WHAT!?” Cherry Jubilee exclaimed.

Bluegrass laughed wickedly, earning their attention again. “EXACTLY! Genius right!? Ah allow the shipment trains in, quietly fudge the paperwork so they’re declared unfit for use and, off the record, have them put in the destruction derby to be demolished, and then Ah take the shipment, still safe in their ultra secure containers, ship them off the day after and then let my friend steal them from the train, and of course, since it’s all off the record, nopony realises anything is missing!”

“Except the company that didn’t receive their shipment.” Rainbow interjected.

“Oh shut up! You just can’t appreciate a true criminal genius! And now, once the event starts, not only will Ah get mah hooves on this weeks ‘delivery’, but you, who DARED to put mah cousin in prison, will pay for your transgressions WITH YOUR LIVES! AHAHAHAHA!” Bluegrass snorted as he tried to calm down. “Oh and don’t even THINK of gettin’ out, Ah had every door sealed TIGHT and the windows are reinforced and, not to mention, the entire train is lined with Orihalcum, meaning nopony can magically sneak in....and nopony can magically get OUT. Enjoy your last moments of life, Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle and...uhhh....Apple –something.”

“But sir!” Cherry Jubilee interrupted. “Why am I here too? What did I do to deserve your revenge?”

Bluegrass was quiet a moment. “Ah just find ya annoying, and Ah thought, well since you WERE there an’ all, Ah might as well take you out too.”

Cherry Jubilee’s eyes drooped in betrayal. “Oh Mister Mayor...y-you’re so mean...”

“And I guess your threat as The Phantom ensured you had this event go on long enough to keep your scheme going without thus?” Rainbow Dash remarked

“Heh, figured that out too did ya?” Bluegrass smirked to himself despite nopony being able to see it. “Yeah Ah admit it, got the idea from mah ‘partner’, figured a spooky, mysterious bogeyman would keep everypony from askin’ unwanted questions. Anyway, goodbye, I got a lot to do on my end here, so enjoy dying!” The crystal grew darker and stopped glowing.

Rainbow frowned. “Alright, how can we get out of here before”

“And now!” Bluegrass’ voice yelled out through speakers outside the train, “The time has come for our many expert train drivers and mechanics to start their engines and get ready to compete in our opening event: DESTRUCTION! DERRRRRBYYYYY!”

The pegasus’ eyes widened in shock as her ears flattened. “....crud.”

--------------------------------

Lieutenant Shores ran across the street, yelling incomprehensibly, waving her spear...until she ran into her superior officer and fell to the ground.

Captain Blueblood looked at his charge with controlled surprise. “Milady Shores, whatever are you doing here? You are supposed to be chaperoning Dames Applejack, Twilight Sparkle and Zecora, were you not?”

“Sir!” The mare instantly got up on her hooves and saluted. “Indeed I was, but then I heard the most troubling report: Zecora and Trixie were the criminals behind the crime, and so I went in hot pursuit of the zebra, but I had lost sight of her sir!”

Blueblood gave her an even gaze as the other soldiers blinked in confusion. “Excuse me?”

Sapphire Shores nodded. “Oh yes sir, it caught me by surprise too, you see! One of the donkeys that work for Governor Bluegrass gave me the report and everything!”

Blueblood narrowed his eyes. “Ah.” He turned to the other Royal Guardsmen. “It seems our culprit has overtipped his hoof. Stallions, Mares, we shall march to Bluegrass’ estate.”

“Sir?” Lieutenant Shores asked in confusion.

Blueblood tutted and turned to the mare with a forgiving smirk. “Miss Shores, I’m afraid you have been tricked. There is no possible way Zecora or Trixie Lulamoon could be our criminals, for if they were, they wouldn’t come directly to Celestia to ask the Royal Guard to investigate, would they not?”

Sapphire shores blinked then looked upwards in thought. “Now that you say it...I guess not...?”

“Exactly. But tell me, why would Governor Bluegrass, the pony in charge of this city, who has direct control over the schedules and workings of this town, frame a pair of mares for a crime? What would he have to gain by such a trick?”

Sapphire Shores nodded as she thought it though. “I suppose he...wanted us...to be thinking they were behind the crime?”

“Good, good, now why would that be?”

“Because....he...did the crime?”

Blueblood nodded. “Very good. Now, tell me, Lieutenant, since Governor Bluegrass committed the heinous crime of theft, what shall, as enforcers of the law, do?”

Sapphire Shores thought, then stood straight and saluted, lifting her spear aloft. “We...Arrest the criminal scum! Sir!....right?”

“Exactly.” He pointed his hoof forwards. “Now Stallions, we march! Let us show Bluegrass he cannot escape the law!”

“Yeah!”

The Royal Guard, lead by Blueblood and Lieutenant Shores, charged off towards Bluegrass’ mansion.

-------------------------

Sheriff Bluegrass looked around the ‘mansion’ with a frown. No sign of his brother anywhere, meaning he must be elsewhere. Of course, Sheriff Bluegrass knew exactly where he would be right about now. He turned and left the building, running towards the large building in the centre of the city: the Control Tower that controlled all the rail lines.

He needed to talk to his brother.

-----------------------------

Applejack repeatedly kicked at a wall, grunting. “You know, ordinarily a lady wouldn’t use her delicates hooves like this!”

“I know AJ, but we don’t have time!” Rainbow Dash replied, wings folded in front of herself. “Neither Twilight’s magic nor mine can do anything right now, and we don’t have the same physical strength an Earth Pony does.”

“What about Cherry Jubilee?” Applejack countered as she kept kicking.

“She won’t respond to any of us.” Twilight said with a frown. “Her own Mayor betraying her...I can’t even begin to imagine how she is feeling...”

“Well we can’t just sit here and wait!” Applejack said. “We simply HAVE to get out of here before this DEATH TRAP is crushed by several speeding trains, and us along with it!”

Rainbow Dash looked out the window, ears drooping and eyes wide in fear as she saw several trains speeding towards them from all sides. “I...I think it’s too late...”

“It’s never too late!” The group blinked and turned at the source of this statement: Cherry Jubilee, standing over a set of levers on a control console, pointing towards a large metal structure nearby. “I’ll need fuel to be feed into here. Can your magic give me a steady amount of fire?”
Rainbow nodded. “Yeah...but not forever.”

“Doesn’t need to be forever. Just gotta keep it going long enough for us to win.” The mechanic’s eyes blazed with determination, gripping a pair of levers. “Stupid Mayor....we’ll show him just how annoying I can be!”

---------------------------

Fluttershy waved a flag high in the air, cheering. “Go everyone! Win the race!”

She, along with Rarity and Pinkamena sat in the stands of the Coliseum, sitting among the audience as they watched the Race’s opening act unfold: eight trains converging towards a lone train set for demolition.

“Rah rah who cares.” Pinkamena sighed flatly, rolling her eyes as she waved her own flag that didn’t even move.

“Oh don’t be such a party pooper, Pinkie.” Rarity said, looking annoyed. “We gave those guards the slip so we can enjoy some sightseeing for once without getting roped into helping stop some villainous plot like last time. Here we are, watching a freaking race with TRAINS and you can’t muster a single bit of enthusiasm! I mean, how can you NOT find this fun!?” She emphatically gestured her forelegs towards the currently ongoing Race.

“It’s Pinkamena.” The pink mare stated absently. “And I can’t get over how stupid this whole thing is. I mean, they need these trains to ship things and provide travel, and yet they spend HOW LONG wasting them on these stupid races? Especially since they’ll just get damaged and wasted smashing against each other. I mean really, who uses trains in a DESTRUCTION DERBY?”

Rarity rolled her eyes, folding her forelegs over her chest. “Oh Lighten up, it doesn’t matter alright, stop over thinking it, it’s COOL!”

She blinked and looked in surprise as the supposedly broken down, abandoned train sitting in the centre of the arena suddenly rammed forward, slamming one of its attackers off the tracks before streaking across the rails.

Rarity stared for a moment before grinning. “See!? Now THAT’S what we came here to see! Excitement! Surprises! THE SOUND OF SMASHING METAL AND THE SCREAMS OF BROKEN DREAMS!” She stood up on her hindlegs, waving her forelegs. “THIS IS GETTING SO AWESOME!!”

Pinkamena raised a brow. “Seriously, how they hay are you ‘Kindness’?”

“Wooo!” Fluttershy cheered, gliding laps around in the air as she cheered. “Go train that was supposed to be demolished but wasn’t!”

-----------------------------

Twilight and Applejack clung for their lives to whatever they could as the train suddenly went from zero to TOO FAST, Rainbow keeping the engine stoked as Cherry Jubilee manned the controls. Twilight frowned at the pair before closing her eyes in concentration, horn glowing.
The train rushed onto a set of rails that circled one opponent, after one lap Twilight’s magic adjusting the rails so that the train slammed onto the side of its opponent, derailing it.

“Two down, eight to go!” Twilight shouted.

“No.” Cherry Jubilee corrected. “This should be enough to end the Derby, but now comes the Race for real! Just keep making the way for us Miss.” She pointed towards a large tower that dominated the skyline. “That controls all the rails, including those used for the race! The only one who can use it these days is the Mayor, so that’s where he is during the Race!”

“Right!” Twilight nodded, starting to sweat as she used her magic to control the rails. Their train jolted suddenly and everypony was almost knocked off their hooves in surprise. Everypony managed to recover and look through the windows, seeing a pair of trains speeding along at their sides, taking advantage of the placement of rails to ram their sides.

Cherry Jubilee grunted irritably. “Just what we need! Double teamed by Governor Bluegrass’ right hoof donkey’s: Bucky McGillicutty and Kicks McGee! They ALWAYS win!”

“Not this year they won’t!” Applejack said resolutely, turning to kick at the wall, only to yelp as part of the metal above her turned green and melted. “What!” She gasped as a blue hoof grabbed hers and pulled her up onto the roof.

Twilight gasped and moved to save her. “Applejack!”

Rainbow smirked. “Twilight, relax, she’s fine, she’s in good hooves right now.” She smirked at her friend. “Just trust that she can do her part, and focus on yours!”

“R-right!” Twilight nodded and closed her eyes, moving the tracks so their enemies were sent heading to the far right and left, respectively, giving them more breathing room.

-----------------------------

Above, safe in his tower, Governor Bluegrass fumed as he watched the spectacle take place. “How dare they!? Ah went to a lot of trouble to make all this happen and they won’t just sit there and die!?” He then spoke angrily into a pair of lowing crystals. “You two are supposed ta be mah best jacks, you better not embarrass mah good name and LOSE! Don’t forget how much Ah’m PAYIN’ the two of ya! AH don’t care what ya have to do, just make sure those mares die and that train is DEMOLISHED!”

He placed his hooves over the many, MANY levels surrounding him that controlled every track in Dodge Junction. He sighed and relaxed, being here always made him feel better, reminded him that he was in control of everything; Dodge Junction ran because of HIS guidance. HE was the most important pony, no matter what anyone else thought!

He glared at the train that seemed to embody his hatred, his need for vengeance....as well as his golden ticket to the status he deserved.

---------------------

Applejack yelped and turned to her apparent abuductor. “Do you REALISE how dangerous that was!? Why, you almost pulled out my hair, let alone ruin my FABULOUS mane!” She blinked, recognition dawning. “Oh, aren’t you Miss Zecora’s co-worker?”

Trixie whimpered nervously, hiding under her plain, brown hood. “Y-Yes...I-I’m T-Trixie...”

“What are you doing up here?” Applejack frowned as she realised something. “Hay, what am AH doing here!?”

“W-w-we have to help protect the train....th-the Mayor m-might have something underhanded planned....”

AT her words, two trains started moving to their left and right sides, on both trains stood a donkey wearing sunglasses.

“Why, that’s the brute who claimed that Zecora was stealing the shipments, and then, Ah think, beat us up!” She looked between them. “Well...one of them did at any rate; they’re so alike Ah can’t tell for certain.”

“Th-they’re Mr Bluegrass’ bodyguards.” Trixie explained. “Th-they do everything for him...”

“And Ah suppose we must stop them directly?” Applejack asked.

“Y-yes, the others can’t really defend from inside, and will be too busy focusing on keeping the t-train fuelled and moving th-the tracks.” The blue unicorn looked down. “I...I have to help....t-t-to make up for m-my weakness....”

Applejack smiled softly and laid a hoof onto the mare’s shoulder, making her gasp and look up in surprise. “Ah’m not sure what you did, but Ah’m sure it’s fine. Rainbow Dash wouldn’t blame you for anything. It’s natural to get scared and nervous, you just simply have to make sure your fear doesn’t get the better of you.”

“B-But....”

“No buts, now chin up and we’ll talk about this properly later, right now we simply MUST get rid of these awful brutes!”

Trixie nodded. “Y-yes...”

The pair turned, Applejack facing the donkey on the left side while Trixie nervously shook and looked at the donkey standing towards the right side, the blue unicorn’s eyes hidden under her hood.

Kicks McGee slammed his front hooves down as he turned his to strike against the train, only for a fashionable red scarf to be tied tightly around his leg, which he yanked at forcefully...and caused Applejack to be pulled over to him, her hoof meeting his with a powerful slam. The fashion conscious pony leapt onto all four hooves, frowning distastefully at the donkey.

“Now it is not very ladylike to resort to fisticuffs.” Applejack lamented. “However, not only did you try to harm myself and my friends, your employer has committed numerous crimes against fashion (and, on a lesser note, actual crimes) and so I shall be forced to act very UNLadylike!”

The donkey merely regarded her silently as the two began trading kicks, their hooves connecting with each blow.

Trixie meanwhile, dodged a brick Bucky sent flying towards her, yelping as she leapt to and fro to escape several volleys of the heavy projectiles, gasping in pain as a brick struck her hoof and another struck her side, sending to sprawling to her back.

The unicorn whimpered, tears falling from pain, the donkey smirking as he got ready to kick a few more bricks. Trixie’s mind whirled with shame, flooded with self-loathing over her weakness.

“Hey, Trix, come on,” a memory of Rainbow dash suddenly spoke up in her mind, “you’re way stronger than you think! Come on, you’re an awesome pony, don’t let anypony say otherwise, that includes you!”

Her eyes widened. “Rainbow Dash....she’s always believed in me...and I...” She frowned, shakily getting to her hooves as she frowned fearfully but determinedly. “I...I can’t let her down again...or Miss Zecora....or Mister Iron Will...they’re all counting on me....” She bit her lip, looking at the donkey. “y-you b...b-big dumb bully! I...I-I...I am not afraid of you!”

Bucky McGillicutty tilted his head and shrugged, tossing a brick in the air as he turned to buck it....only to be momentarily blinded as a burst of fireworks flashed around him, startling him at the same time...and the brick her threw fell on his head.

Trixie gasped and hid behind her hood as the donkey glared at her, bare fazed by the blow that struck him, but the unicorn gathered her wits and stood her ground. “Y-yeah, s-see!? I-I-I was chosen by M-Mister Also Iron Will himself f-f-for a reason!”

The donkey glared and leapt down into his train’s front carriage, kicking the surprised, yelping driver out as he took control, making his vehicle lean so its sides grinded noisily against his opponent’s.

Trixie gulped, pulling a vial out from under her cloak. “I-I’m...I’m not alone...I’m not alone...I’m not alone...” She nodded to herself, closing her eyes as she tossed the vial out onto the tracks Bucky was driving along, the opposing train suddenly grinding to a stop as the metal of its wheels melted and melded with that of the rail line, the donkey shaking in anger as he inspected the damage.

Trixie sighed to herself in relief as their train overtook his at last, turning to look at how her ally’s battle was progressing.

Applejack leapt to the side as Kicks McGee slammed a hind hoof onto the metal roof of his train, leaving a large dent.

“Oh bravo, you managed to damage your ‘ride’, as they say.” Applejack mused sarcastically. “Yes, you truly are a fearsome adversary.”

The donkey growled angrily, glaring at the mare, only to blink in surprise as instead of seeing a single orange mare, he was surrounded on all sides by her. For their part, the many Applejacks all looked equally confused, before each striking a glamorous pose.

“Oh my, I dare say this is even more flattering than a mirror!” Applejack tittered. “There’s potential here to be sure.”

Kicks McGee snarled impatiently, striking at a pair of Applejacks, only for them to vanish in burst of fading stars.

“It appears you guessed wrong, darling.” Applejack smirked as she wrapped her scarf tightly around the donkey’s limbs, tying them close to his body and leaving him tied up and defenceless as she leapt back to the train containing her friends, the opposing train losing speed and falling back.

She smiled at Trixie as the unicorn’s horn stopped glowing and the illusory doppelgangers were dispelled. “Thank you kindly for the assistance, darling, though Ah’m sure Ah would’ve been able to handle it myself.

“O-Oh I-I-I’m sorry...” Trixie whimpered, hiding under her hood. “I-I didn’t mean to offend you...”

“Oh no offence meant darling, now, why don’t we hope inside and let our friends finish this?”

“A-a-alright...”

The two climbed back inside, Applejack daintily while Trixie was far more slow and cautious. They watched Cherry Jubilee continue steering as Rainbow Dash kept the engine fuelled and Twilight sweated and grunted with effort.

“Why, Twilight, darling, are you alright?” Applejack asked, concerned.

“Just...fine...” Twilight panted. “I just...need to use every bit....of my reserves...”

“Twi, that’s dangerous!” Rainbow Dash interjected. “We can trade places, I can handle it!”

“No...I need to contribute too, it’s always either you or Applejack who makes the save...” Twilight panted and grunted. “I have my pride too you know...”

“Twilight whatever are you trying to do anyway that is leaving you look so....dishevelled?” Applejack asked at last with a slight, disgusted, wince. “Your coat is all matted with...ugh....sweat.”

“You’ll see...just....about....now!”

“Full steam ahead!” Cherry Jubilee called out, slamming a lever all the way forward.

Rainbow nodded, giving Twilight a look of unease as she poured a great burst of magically fuelled fire into the engine.

The train sped at full speed as Twilight’s magic moved several rail tracks in front of them, moving them upwards at an angle.It went so fast, the train flew off the edge of the tracks, the angle sending them flying directly towards the top of the central control tower.

Of course, Applejack and Trixie didn’t know this, and simply clung to each in fear, screaming at the top of their lungs with terrified faces.

--------------------------

Governor Bluegrass gasped as he saw the train barrelling towards him, quickly made his escape, leaving the room as the train crashed hard into it, the force knocking him to his hooves and sending his toupee flying off.

Bluegrass glared as he shakily got to his hooves. “H-how DARE YOU!? Do ya have ANY idea who Ah AM!? Ah OWN this town! Ah own these trains! Ah own YOU! AH”

“That’s enough, brother.”

Bluegrass paled, starting to sweat as he turned, facing his brother who was backed by several Royal Guardsmen, Captain Blueblood and even Zecora.

“H-How the hay...?” Bluegrass sputtered.

“Met them at your place, Ah then lead them all here.” Sheriff Bluegrass said curtly, glaring at his brother. “You’re under arrest.”

“A-Arrest? M-Me? W-why!?”

“Abuse of your office, lying to yer own employees, sabotaging yer own trains, stealing from our own employers!” Sheriff rattled off. “Need AH say more?”

“Y-You have no proof.” Governor Bluegrass interjected. “I-I’m completely innocent!”

A metallic clank came from behind as the door of the crashed train fell and allowed five ponies to step out. Rainbow Dash smirked. “I’m sure our witness testimonies will be more than enough.”

Bluegrass paled, turning to his brother with a desperate look. “C-c-come on, Ah’m your brother! H-Help me out here!” He held up his hooves pleadingly.

The stallion before him nodded solemnly, taking. “Ya are mah brother, however,” he took his brother’s hooves in his own, a pair of hoofcuffs snapping around them, “but nopony’s above the law, especially not you.”

Bluegrass stared at his hooves in disbelief, sweat pouring down his brow.

Author's Note:

Oh MAN, so much I had planned here. originally this was going to be longer, in fact I was going to split it into two or three parts, with a heavy focus on the actual race, and Bucky McGillicutty and Kicks McGee were going to get a few more rounds, including one of them managing to explode a few rockets to move their train back from the rear, only to be defeated by an illusion trixie made of the tracks, and thus crash into a pit. but...that didn't happen and instead I, as usual, rushed it and finished it quickly.

I am very sorry and honestly I feel like I'm not doing as good a job of writing as I can. But still! I will keep on trucking ahead!

I hope you all enjoyed this and please comment!