• Published 29th Feb 2016
  • 9,532 Views, 3,825 Comments

Trials of a Royal Guard - Anzel



Duty, honor, and loyalty above all else. That was what Silent Knight had been told ever since he was a colt. They had guided him all his life and he was more than ready to follow in his father’s hoofsteps by dedicating himself to the Royal Guard.

  • ...
27
 3,825
 9,532

PreviousChapters Next
10. Dread Knight

Crystal-clear water swirled around my hoofguards as we stood in the flow of Dreyri River. Rationally, I knew it was clear but I could see streams of blood in it. My blood, the major’s blood, the lieutenant’s blood… so much blood after those sputtering spheres landed nearby and exploded.

That was the past though, right? I paused to look around. We weren’t in the battle yet. We were just standing in the river, looking across at the couple of hundred meters open on the other side that the Sudramoar gryphons planned to use as a kill zone.

Exemplar Ferrel stood on my left, watching me instead of our target. She’d been doing that all afternoon. Opposite her was Gray Maelstrom and Lightning Hammer. Beyond the two of them, there were a few other unicorn warrant officers I didn’t recognize. All siege unicorns who had some form of devastating magic.

In the moment, though, I’m not sure what they could do really compared to what was going on in front of me. Exarch Glory was standing halfway across the river, up to her shoulders in rushing water, and it wasn’t moving her an inch.

Nor were the bolts coming from the crossbows or bullets from the slings. She was a single, glimmering target way out in front and the enemy simply couldn’t hit her. No shot connected. It was a miracle or some form of spell.

“Brigadier, the time draws close!” the exarch thundered. The voice carried like that of an alicorn. Her horn illuminated and a glowing gold light fell from the sky to hit it. Celestial feathers seemed to swirl in the narrow beam, growing in brightness with each passing second.

Lightning Hammer looked to me. “Major, advance.”

“Yes, sir!” I shut my visor and ordered, “Dragoons! With me.”

Retreat! They’ve broken through!

Hide the fear, Silent. Bury it deep into your soul and let me take over. I’ll get us through this. I’ll show them all.

We marched forwards through the water with me leading the way. Run! The major is dead! Run! My dragoons formed a long rank, two deep. We’d spaced ourselves so the siege unicorns had spots in between.

“Take flight, servants of disharmony, for today thy work is undone!” the exarch called. The glowing feathers spread out and suddenly exploded into a million points of light. From the heavens above, a massive ethereal shield materialized and slid down from the clouds.

Several of my lancers paused, looking up in shock. “Keep moving! We can’t afford to be distracted,” I called gruffly, waking them from their stupor.

Before we reached the middle point of the river, the drums started and the entirety of the allied army began its advance. All along the battle line, temple guard shields sprung up but everyone was focused on the giant one dominating an entire brigade’s length.

The Sudramoar gryphons responded in the only way they knew how: they used their crossbows, bolt throwers, trebuchets, and slings. They hurled them at the golden light but were unsuccessful.

Exarch Glory continued forwards without fear and the shield advanced ahead of her. I didn’t know if she was as long lived as the exemplar but she seemed well versed in shielding ponies from harm.

That thought shifted my attention to Exemplar Ferrel. She trotted beside me, moving at a good pace. To my surprise, a metal kite shield floated along her right while a matching warhammer bobbed at the left.

She looked over at me. “You will have to choose whether to survive today or not, and there will be a cost regardless. I am sorry, Silent Knight.”

By the alicorns! Why me? Focus on the here and now. Focus on what is happening this minute… not last time… not what might happen. I clenched my jaw and pushed forwards as the waters of the Dreyri hit my side and started pushing me out of formation.

“Hold the line and get through this deep spot as fast as you can,” I ordered.

Exarch Glory stood on the shore, her back to the enemy! She was watching us with casual interest as the gryphons threw everything they had against her shield. It was either a foolish show of bravado or the unicorn mare had no fear at all.

I was full of fear. Fear for myself, fear for Crystal Wishes, and fear for my lancers. That fear had to be controlled today. Fear was good. Terror was my enemy… and my ally. The Black Dragoons brought terror and death to their enemies. The Sudramoar knew us as blood-crazed elite soldiers that always came back regardless of whether or not one fell.

Exemplar Ferrel surged forwards and was the next to reach the bank. Her horn burst into a bright light and a shield came up around the exarch. A matter of seconds later there were two explosions.

Run! Retreat! Order the retreat! My heart stopped. The Sudramoar still had some of those abominations? “Forwards!” I called numbly and the line did not stop, my hooves did not stop. As the smoke cleared, the shields were still intact and the temple guards were there. Unwounded and seemingly unconcerned.

It was time to get out of the blood—water. Out of the water. I picked up the pace to push through the shallows and up onto the bank. The Sudramoar battle line was spread out in front of me.

They’d dug earthworks. Nothing permanent or too insurmountable but plenty of protection and absolute death had they been able to hit us from range. It also provided enough cover from our crossbows.

Brigadier Hammer came up next to me. “This shield almost makes it feel as if we’re not in a battle. It is unnerving.”

“And not unending, Brigadier. I suggest you begin thy plan and close to melee range immediately,” the exarch said. Up close, I could see she was sweating profusely. So the magic was not endless.

“Agreed.” Hammer tilted his head back and his horn lit. A quick burst of lightning shot straight up. That was the signal.

From the hill my dragoons and I had occupied the day before, the catapults opened up on the enemy lines. The heavy stones crashed into the earthworks and areas beyond. From the screams, I’d say the artillery master was on target.

“Major, keep us safe,” Brigadier Hammer called before he and the siege unicorns trotted further into the nopony’s land.

“You heard him!” We kept pace with them. If any of the enemy soldiers tried to close the ground between us, they’d be in for a world of trouble.

When we were close enough for me to see the confused looks on the gryphon soldier’s faces, Brigadier Hammer planted all four hooves and pointed his horn at the earthworks. “Alright, ponies, let’s make some holes!”

Lightning flicked along his horn before blasting out and hitting one of the piles of earth that had been built up. Dirt flew everywhere and a noticeable groove had been cut. It was still only about enough to get a pony through.

Gray Maelstrom’s head tilted. She didn’t say anything, but a white crystal floated in front of her horn. She reached a hoof up and gave it a flick, spinning it. At the same time, her horn started to glow at the tip. It felt as if the pressure around us was changing.

She didn’t hold it near as long as she had on the Happiness, instead letting it go almost immediately. Energy leapt into the crystal before lancing out in a fan, blowing apart a long wall of earth.

Brigadier Hammer cleared his throat. “Mine works better on infantry. Fire at will.”

All around us, the unicorns started their spells. Some were like fire, others pure energy. No two were exactly alike but each one punched holes into the crude earth fortifications.

By this time, the rest of our brigade was coming out of the river. The soldiers were just watching the show with a mixture of wonder and fear.

“All battalions, advance and engage!” Hammer ordered, which was then immediately repeated by the nearest colonel and then the subordinate officers on down the line.

My dragoons and I weren’t part of a battalion any longer. We were Hammer’s personal enforcers. “Come on, Silent Knight, we’re going to show everyone how this is done.” He started trotting at the head of the force.

This was not a wise idea. It is one thing to lead us across the river and show us some magic, but to be in front of the actual assault… No. And yet I couldn’t question him. Not in front of everyone.

“Alpha section, guard the brigadier. Bravo and Charlie, with me!” Was this the choice? Me or Hammer? No, it couldn’t be… but she said there would be a cost either way. Hammer dies, we lose? I die, Crystal loses? Surely it couldn’t be such a cruel choice for me.

Brigadier Hammer shot me a look but said nothing. There was nothing he could say. My order was an appropriate reaction to his and questioning it would have undermined my authority.

The look held a moment before we continued our advance on the shell-shocked gryphons. When we were only ten or so meters out, the artillery stopped and the exarch’s shield faded. This was it! “Dragoons, charge!”

And just like that we started galloping, lances presented. Behind us, a battle cry filled the air as the brigade—no, the entire army followed suit.

The gryphons in front of me stared on in disbelief. Some of them started scrambling to repel us. Beyond the defenders at the front, I could see just how many were waiting for us. Saying ‘a lot’ did not do the number justice. Perhaps it was all of them?

My focus shifted to the poor soldier right in front of me. I leapt over what was left of the earthworks and surged forwards, putting my lance fully through him. In a single fluid motion, I hit the release and drew my sword. I wheeled around and brought it down through the next soldier.

In the past, this sort of thing bothered me. The faces of the enemy stuck with me like the losses of my own… but not anymore. Step forwards over the corpse and engage the next. Then the next. Kill as many as necessary to get home.

All along beside me, dragoons crashed into hapless defenders, lancing and cutting them down. This was the easy part. If there were such a thing.

Thunder Tumble leapt past me and started to trot forwards. I grabbed his tail and pulled him back.

“Stay close to me, boy,” I ordered in a voice I didn’t wholly recognize.

I couldn’t see his eyes through the visor, but his posture told me he was confused. He obeyed nonetheless. At least he knew how to follow orders.

“Reinforcements incoming!” I heard Clement Knight shout.

A brief glance up confirmed it. Sudramoar soldiers were rushing up to take the place of their fallen comrades. They looked fresh and ready for a fight.

Energy crackled to my right before a bolt of lightning leapt past me and crashed into several of the gryphons rushing to fill the gaps. They seized in pain and collapsed in front of us, many of them smoking. It did not look like a pleasant way to die.

“I told you it worked better on infantry!” Brigadier Hammer called as he rushed right past me with my alpha section in tow.

I grunted and hurried after him. Momentum was important but passion was not going to help us if we were foolish. The thrill of victory might have already been getting to us. That worried me but I had to bury the fear, bury any anger, lead, and fight.

“Tighten up!” We rushed forwards, leaving behind the carnage of the first assault. Pushing the advantage and returning the favor of a route to the Sudramoar was key. Once again we crashed against a wave of gryphons. These soldiers weren’t as shocked as the first. They’d managed to keep mostly out of it.

One lashed out with a mace, hitting my heavily armored shoulder and knocking me sideways. The plate had been severely damaged but it held. If I was hurt, I couldn’t tell with the adrenaline surging through me. There wasn’t time to stop, anyway. While the gryphon was focusing on me, Tumble stabbed him in the gut.

I shifted and bucked him away before bringing my sword up to parry a blow from another attacker. He was fast and swung again, high this time. I ducked just in time and awkwardly slashed at his legs. The attack connected and he fell, crying out in pain. It was an awful sound that reminded me of my ponies dying in the river. I ended him quickly to put a stop to it.

In front of us, an energy shield suddenly appeared. It was perfectly timed, too, as a volley of crossbow bolts smashed into it.

Exemplar Ferrel bumped into me, her warhammer flying forwards to smash a gryphon’s sword from his claw. “The exarch has retired the field. I will stay for the inevitable.”

“Thanks,” I huffed before shoving Tumble to the right and out of the way of a gryphon spear.

"Medic!” someone shouted. Block it out, Silent. Block it out!

The grey-feathered bird sailed between us, carrying too much momentum. We both managed to catch him with a slash.

“Be more careful! I can’t keep—”

“Sir! Lieutenant Honey is down,” Clement said as he rushed up, flying just slightly off the ground.

My hooves clenched. “Take command of her section immediately.”

“The first ser—”

“Sergeant Major, was I unclear? We’ve never lost an officer. Take command of her unit!”

“Aye, sir!” he replied before flying off.

The enemy was starting to push harder against our line. From where I was, I couldn’t tell which direction the battle was going. All I knew for certain was that we’d killed a lot of them in a short period of time.

“Forwards! Everyone, forwards!” I heard Brigadier Hammer shouting from somewhere.

“Forwards!” I parroted.

Two more gryphons in front of us. Both scared. They knew the armor. The first one turned to escape and the second barely got his sword up. The look in their eyes was familiar. I’d seen it in my infantry unit. Sorry. I really am sorry.

They were no challenge for Tumble and I. The one that had lifted his sword wasn’t skilled enough to parry an attack. The other… well, we’d just run him through from behind and trampled him.

We hurried past their corpses. A quick check of our position still found friendlies on both sides moving forwards at a reasonable pace. Were we winning? We’d won a lot lately but smaller battles. Nothing like this.

There were plenty of Black Dragoons around me. Our presence frightened the enemy because they knew we were skilled and thought we never took prisoners. That reputation had been earned in the stalemate. Hammer thought if one dark warrior was good, why not raise a unit of them so the gryphons could never know which one was me?

A halberd whipped past my head. Pay attention, Silent Knight! Don’t get us killed. We have work to do. I located the attacker and blocked the next swing. Two steps closer, stomp his foot, duck beside, drive sword back. Next soldier.

Explosions resounded off to my right, causing me to cringe. There couldn’t be too many more of those spheres left. Every time I heard one, though, it just sent me back.

"I need a medic over here! Maybe two!”

Medic? Someone, please help me! Push the memory away, this isn’t the same. We’re not in the river.

“We’re breaking through!” someone shouted, drawing my focus back to the here and now. Breaking through? Yes!

The Sudramoar line looked like it was starting to give in the middle. Our fierce assault fueled by unicorn magic and elite soldiers was proving too much for the enemy. If we could break them here, they would crumble along the flanks.

“Dragoons, lead the way!” I shouted before kicking aside the nearest Sudramoar solider and charging ahead. Lead by example, show no fear, and give no mercy to the enemy.

A roar followed on my tail as we smashed into the remaining Sudramoar gryphons in front of us. I could see it… the light on the other side. Just a little further. I slashed across one gryphon and smashed another in the beak with my hoof. Just a little further, Silent.

Brigadier Hammer lunged along with me, his horn blasting through a wall of gryphons. A fierce look of determination was plastered on his face. It was the same expression a hungry timberwolf has when it can see its meal ahead of it.

Thunder Tumble smashed his shoulder into a gryphon in front of us and the dragoon next to him quickly struck. “Almost… there!” he huffed.

Then it happened. We broke through the remaining Sudramoar in front of us. They were all retreating. No, some of them were retreating. There were more! A whole rank of gryphons still in formation and readying their crossbows.

“No!” I shouted but it was too late.

The line of Sudramoar archers opened up with their weapons. I could jump, I could escape. Tumble was beside me, though, and Hammer close by. Do something.

I threw my wing out in front of Thunder Tumble. Crossbow bolts ripped through it. Others hit me in the shoulder and in my armor. It was a miracle that they seemed to be glancing blows.

The gryphons were reloading! We had to get to them right now. I turned to Tumble. He was on the ground. Some of the bolts had missed my wing, gone through the feathers, and hit his breastplate. There was blood… so much blood.

Right in my ears, there was a howl of anguish and rage. My vision narrowed and I felt my body surge towards the line of archers. Even on a shattered wing, we sailed to the murderers. No mercy.

Silent Knight can’t survive this, but I can. Without a doubt I’m needed. Just give in. It will be easier that way. Just give in.

And so I did.

Author's Note:

The first of a two-parter! Stay tuned until next week for the conclusion.

I was thrilled with how this chapter came out and the inevitable cliffhanger. One of the things I did differently was to stick to one continuous scene for the whole piece even with the callbacks to the past. I think it worked very well for showing the chaotic nature of the battle.

If you are enjoying this story, please consider taking a look at Crystal and my's website QuillnBlade.com for extra content such as mini stories, an Ask Us form to submit questions, responses to said questions, and special rewards for the awesome folks who support our Patreon.

PreviousChapters Next