• Published 4th Jun 2012
  • 2,019 Views, 71 Comments

Forging a Knight - BeyondElemental



Discord really likes sending people as random creatures to Equestria.

  • ...
2
 71
 2,019

Into the mines.

'Well on the bright side I'm in Equestria, I'm alive, and I'm away from the lava. On the other hand I might just be crazier than a loon, I'm a prisoner and I don't think I can Rarity my way out of it, and I'm still some unidentified creature. The last time I checked Discord didn't breath fire, but then again he didn't seem to be putting his all into it that episode.'

Rumbling filled the air and the ground beneath me gave way to the diamond dog's claws. The dog grabbed me by the neck, pulled me down into the tunnels below, and pinned me to the ground. The air was knocked from my lungs and the taste of the Equestrian rock entered my mouth. His grip tightened as the dogs behind him argued between themselves before picking a harness. I was strapped in with heavy metal chains attached to a wooden collar that forced them to release my throat.

"Go!" yelled the dog before I could even catch my breath.

I turned to see I had been attached to a gem cart followed by a heavily scarred dog who did not take kindly to my hesitation. He reached for his whip and I dug my hooves into the ground as I tried to pull the cart. The wheels creaked and the cart lurched forward as I started to descend into the darkened mine, the only source of light being pale white crystals strewn about the cave. In the distance I could hear the earth being ripped apart by the dogs in search of gems. We passed mighty piles of gems, but did not stop. No, we went deeper.

The further down I was forced the more rough our path became, the crystals that lit our way became more and more scarce, and the grunts of the dogs further down became louder. Soon soft clicking met my ears, the sound of pickaxes and chains. Thin shadows of ponies moved throughout the darkness, quietly digging as the slavers demanded.

"Stop." the dog finally grumbled before wandering off.

As I finally relaxed and sat down a nearby unicorn lifted what looked like a pile of ordinary rocks. The magic surrounding the rocks gave a soft blue glow to the cavern around him as he approached me. As the glow lit up the cart and me, he hesitated. He looked long and hard at me before depositing the rocks in the cart. Once he returned to the hole he came from the whispering began.

"They captured who?!"

"A draconequus?"

"All hope is lost."

These were among the many whispers passed between prisoners as they lined up to fill my cart with rock. My very appearance filled them with dread and the thought that the diamond dogs had captured me only made it worse. I did not want to tell them that I just strolled into the holding cell like an idiot, but by not telling them they assumed the worst.

The scarred dog returned with a fist full of gems and a pint in the other hand, and as he walked he wobbled ever so slightly. He paused only to shove the rest of the gems into his mouth before jumping onto the back of the cart and simply pointing back towards the way we came. The cart had gone from heavy to immovable object. It would take a creature far stronger than I to move the cart back up the mine shafts. I dug my hooves into the ground with the cart not budging. As I went on struggling the drunken dog became more aggravated with every second that passed. Within a few minutes he had hopped off of the cart and had walked over to me kneeling so that he was eye level with me.

"GO!" he screamed, the smell of alcohol heavy on his breath.

"No." I replied calmly.

In the quiet following someone felt the the need to say "He's a goner."

"It's too heavy." I added.

The inebriated dog was unable to think of a reply he simply raised his paw and extended his claws. He started to bring them down on my face but he was stopped by the flames engulfing his own. His screams traveled the length of the cavern along with the gasps of the slaves around me. The cavern was filled with bright orange light revealing the starved ponies around me, who looked on in awe. Diamond dogs spewed out of every nook and cranny looking for their wailing companion. With all the dogs anywhere close to me distracted I blew on the chains using my mouth as a blowtorch, but I was tackled before I could cut through the last chain and was knocked out for the second time today.

As I awoke I could feel myself being held under the arm of one of the diamond dogs. The light of the room stung my eyes and the voices I could here were distorted. Only fragments of sentences could be heard, that or diamond dogs really did have terrible grammar.

"Useless....fire....danger....kill."

The last word hung in my mind while my senses rekindled themselves. Suddenly I realized I was being addressed.

"You, abomination, look at me." came the same grizzled voice I had heard before. My eyes finally focused on the old and graying diamond dog. He was tall, shaggy, unlike all the diamond dogs I had seen so far he did not wear a collar, he held himself up with a spear tipped with a ruby encrusted metal, and had the kind of eyes that demanded respect.

"Well you don't exactly take first in the beauty pageant either princess."

He stared into my eyes and allowed himself to growl at me. He reached out and placed a paw on the side of my face before recoiling.

"Want us, throw him in magma?" asked the dog carrying me.

He thought a moment before surprisingly saying "No, send him to the forge. We are not letting him win by getting out of work."

With that he slammed the handle of the spear onto my head sending my head swimming once again. The dog holding me did not hesitate to carry out his orders and ran full speed down the tunnels not letting me focus my vision or see the path he took, he only stopped momentarily to open a hatch before throwing me through. Once again it was the heat that brought my senses back. The room oozed magma in various places, most noticeably an entire lava-fall was at one end of the room. Some of the streams of molten rock were captured by sapphire encrusted pipes that delivered them to a central forge, anvil and all.

"Why does he need me here with all this already set up?" I wondered aloud.

"Ta keep the metal hot when it comes outta the stream o' coarse." came a feminine reply. A big chested,grey, wolf looking diamond dog wearing a blacksmiths apron stepped out from behind the forge, causing me to nearly pass out. "Didn't mean to scare ya lad." she said between laughs. "The names Ashy and you and me are going to be getting to know each other very well."