• Published 25th Nov 2015
  • 3,892 Views, 159 Comments

Underworld Frisk - Darkonshadows



Pinkie fell to these monsters, now she has to dance with her heart to save them and herself.

  • ...
15
 159
 3,892

4 - Sans Sorrow

Pinkie stirred slightly and felt very warm, in fact she felt safe and happy as her eyes opened to the sight of a familiar desk and a diary. She was in a bed like the last few times she woke up over the past week of spending time with Toriel. It wasn’t in the room with the toys and she certainly wasn’t in the guest bed that Pinkie now knew belonged to Toriel’s deceased son.

Pinkie immediately recognized that she was in Toriel’s bed, given that she had two white furred arms wrapping around her body that was a safe bet. She could even feel a pair of lips pressing against her neck. It wasn’t hard for her to tell she was being held by Toriel, who was cuddling her in a very comfortable manner and she didn’t feel like getting up from this compromising position.

Even then the minor shifting Pinkie had done woke Toriel up, seriously the pony only moved about as much as the space the currency from Equestria occupied and it woke the goat lady up. Story of the Princess and the pea much? Toriel was a queen, so that might be related to her ability to feel even the slightest shift Pinkie made.

“Hmm… Pinkie, I’m so glad you’re okay. I’ll let you up in a bit, but for now I just want to keep you to myself.” Toriel’s voice sounded soft, yet it also cracked slightly since it sounded like she had been deeply upset by what Pinkie had done. “You really scared me when you started turning grey, I thought you had… well that’s not important right now since your still here. I’m sorry for being so selfish; I wanted you to be able to fight back, to be able to leave. Most of all, I wanted you to be able to return to the life you once knew and I still don’t think that can be done peacefully. Maybe you can do it peacefully despite my fears that you can’t.”

Toriel started to stroke her fingers through Pinkie’s mane and Pinkie sighed at the feeling of Toriel toying with her mane. Toriel knew a lot of things about the pony she now held to her body, her likes and dislikes learned over a week of openly talking to each other about themselves. Among the dislikes she knew about Pinkie, poking fun at her weight was a definite thing to avoid. She smiled as Pinkie stayed right where she was and didn’t seem to be moving because Toriel started playing with her mane.

“It’s okay Tori, so what is beyond that door? You wouldn’t have attacked me if it wasn’t so serious.” Pinkie didn’t feel like looking to the air for the current time and just rested in Toriel’s arms. Like the time of day really mattered in the Underworld anyway, even though Pinkie would always give her friends the time of day anyway if she knew what it was, which she currently didn’t at the moment.

“It is a very cold place is what it is. Beyond the door is the route to Snowdin, I have taken the liberty to make you a scarf and got some food prepared for when you leave and… I’ll miss you dearly.” Toriel’s snuggling grip tightened around Pinkie Pie who gave off an embarrassing squeaking noise.

“Why don’t you come with me?” Pinkie tried to lift her head, but couldn’t due to Toriel’s sudden strong grip on her mane. Toriel had figured out that Pinkie liked having her mane pulled and held; Pinkie didn’t have much of a chance to fight back against the passionate goat lady that she was snuggled up against.

“I… well someone needs to tend to the flowers.” It sounded like a horrible excuse to not leave to Toriel and she just knew Pinkie was going to call her out on it. The pony glances at the air for a moment and then leaned her head back to nuzzle Toriel’s chin.

“You’re too scared to leave aren’t you Tori? I get scared too, all the time in fact. I try to keep my attitude as positive as possible and I try not to let things like sadness get in my way. My special talent as a pony is making others happy and I just wanted you and the monsters to be happy.” Pinkie felt a tug on her mane and she smiled, it seemed Toriel was going to style her mane again and she was going to let her. There was a reason why she went to Rarity sometimes and having her mane toyed with was one of them aside from the pretty dresses, giving the fashion designer a headache and sniffing around her rear end like a dog.

“I can’t protect anyone, I’ve become quite pathetic. It’s hard for me to set aside my depression in the face of all that has happened. I’ve been quite lonely because I keep to myself too much, my expectations are unknown to myself anymore, I fear for your life and the coming future, on top of all that I’m royalty Pinkie. I’m the Queen of the monsters Ms. Pie and I’m a great failure.” After a moment of silence Toriel reached out of bed and picked up the red ribbon dangling loosely from the bed post. She then sat herself and the pony up into sitting positions and started to roll Pinkie’s hair up into a cute bun, she held it in place with her left hand as she began wrapping it in the ribbon which she tied off expertly. “You broke my heart when you gave yours up to me willingly you know. It hurt me so deeply and far more so than I thought possible. I didn’t think I could feel pain that bad anymore, I thought myself numb to it all. I was wrong. What you did wasn’t what I wanted at all, but you made me see that things could have gone differently if I hadn’t tried to force things”

“It’s okay Tori, everything will be alright. Though I’m not leaving without you coming with me, you really need to get out more. Though I don’t think you’ll be lonely anymore, if the monsters refuse to let you be that way anymore.” Once Pinkie received a pat on her back signaling that Toriel was done with her mane, she turned around on the bed and looked at Toriel who was looking down at her sadly. “So how did you get my soul back into me?”

“You couldn’t have enjoyed it in the state you were before, but I did it like this...” After a moment the adorable goat lady with a thick tuft of fur sticking out from her chest leaned down and kissed Pinkie on the lips. After a few moments Pinkie tilted her head and started returning it with equal passion, which led to Toriel gripping the back of Pinkie’s neck. This spurred the pony on to add some tongue to it.

Once they broke apart, Pinkie felt her heart thundering loudly in her chest as she had never experienced anything like that before. After staring at each other with blushes on their faces, Toriel carefully maneuvered herself out of bed trying not to dislodge Pinkie and left the pony sitting there confused.

With the pony staring at her as she grabbed some clothes to put on elsewhere, Toriel wiggled her short tail in Pinkie’s direction with a shy smile on her red face before walking off towards the door to her room. Pinkie felt incredibly flustered as she stared after the goat lady.

“I’ll go clean up and get breakfast ready. A few friends of yours keep dropping by who are very worried about your health; I’ll assure them you are fine after having been out for a little more than a day. Please, just rest for now my sweet little pie. Just know that you’ll always have a place to come back to as my door will always be open for you after you leave.” And out the door the teasing Toriel walked carrying one of her robes with her; she didn’t shut the door upon exiting as if to prove her statement.

-

Toriel knew ponies were nudist by nature, but it still felt awkward to be naked around Pinkie who was always naked as was a thing that was normal for ponies and their culture. Monsters didn’t put much stock into culture, but like ponies she guessed that she was akin to the aristocratic unicorns Pinkie had spoken of when she went to visit her friend Minuette up on the mountain city of Canterlot. Her fur was thick enough that it wasn’t cold to go without wearing one of her robes, plus she could heat her body with magic almost indefinitely. It still felt a little odd to be without clothes.

For Toriel that bit of teasing was really quite hard to do, but she felt better after snuggling the pony in her sleep fur to fur. To feel Pinkie’s heartbeat against her chest made her sleep calmly instead of having nightmares for once. Pinkie was right about the other monsters though, she herself could have asked for help from the other monsters to stave off that loneliness. She was both a sad queen and a great fool who almost destroyed a beautiful thing; that thing being Pinkie’s wonderful soul. She now just wanted to form a strong bond with Pinkie and for it to last even if it just ended in friendship.

At least Toriel knew the meaning of pansexual and what that had to do with Pinkie’s nature, she was alright with Pinkie being open about her feelings and not letting a single thing get in the way. She herself didn’t want to let anything get in the way of their friendship and budding mutual romantic interest which hasn’t gone too far, aside from the recent cuddling and that one true kiss she just initiated with Pinkie. She licked her lips thinking of the sugary sweet taste Pinkie gave off when she kissed her, it tasted exactly like a pie to Toriel.

“I’m going to miss her when she leaves.” Toriel looked down and lit her hands aflame as she started cooking breakfast using her magical flames.

“Then go with her mistress Toriel.” The sound of Mifty the Froggit’s voice caused the goat lady to jump slightly and turn to the intruder in her home with a hand wreathed in chaotic flame. That flame quickly died down in the face of an unconcerned Mifty looking at her. “If you wish to follow your heart, then do so. We, the monsters of ‘Home’, will not hold it against you. We can tend to the flowers and we can take care of ourselves, we just needed a boost in morale to remember that we should take care of ourselves as well as each other. Pinkie was that reminder that we should stop letting things fall to ruins. We have idled long enough. It is time for us to get back into the spirit of things and laugh a little, even in the face of dire straits.”

“I haven’t been much of a queen to any of you have I?” Toriel continued to make breakfast; she knew Pinkie had a sweet tooth so it was pancakes and hash browns today. She had enough tomatoes to make some homemade ketchup for the diced and fried potatoes; she had enough syrup for the pancakes as well. With some fruit juice it would be relatively healthy.

“Maybe not, but given the circumstances as to why… we still think you’re great mistress Toriel. You just needed some… pony… to bring out that greatness that we still believe in. If you believe she will die without you… then why would you ever let her go alone you idiot! What happened to us was a tragedy and it didn’t just affect you milady, if you are that worried about it then do something!” Mifty was an average sized Foggit, but she was speaking with conviction that made Toriel pay attention. “We don’t have much down here, so what! We’re still alive and we should stop whining about how the dice fell and get up off our fat lazy butts! You’ve been moping for way too long for it to be healthy to continue doing so and so have the rest of the monsters in the ruins we named ‘home’! So why don’t you stop her from being killed if you’re that concerned about her? I don’t think you care about her at all and are pretending to just be her friend!”

“How dare you talk to me in such a manner…. I am not your mistress, I’m your queen! Also you’re right; I have been moping for far too long. I think I will set out with Pinkie to see what has become of the rest of the underworld under my ex’s rule! I won’t forgive him for the slaughter of innocents, but I will let him be if he still cares for our people. I do care, I am her friend and I think I might even be a bit smitten with her even when I thought I could never feel such passion again! I even want her to be as happy as she made all of you feel!” Toriel felt something odd; it felt like a wellspring of energy was born inside her body. It was as if she could feel the sliver of Pinkie’s soul that was still wedged inside her igniting in a blaze of passion. The Froggit she had glared down didn’t look cowed at all, instead she looked rather hopeful. “First step we still have to eat this breakfast I’m making; I’ll set up a third spot for you my friend.”

“You are our rock Queen Toriel, even when muted you were still infinitely kind enough to not make things worse and you endured for so long. It’s nice to see that you have come back to your senses and have taken an interest in someone who you wish to consort with. I’d even think you have a soul like that of humans if I didn’t know any better that it was impossible. You were always shy, but strong when we counted on you milady.” Mifty bowed curtly to Toriel before hopping off towards the exit of the kitchen. “I will go get your guest out of bed for breakfast. I’m sure we will both enjoy your divine morning feast, no matter how simple the fare may appear to be.”

“Hold on Mifty… I assign you as current regent of the ‘home’ ruins. See to it that ‘home’ becomes prosperous and that our morale doesn’t fall again! For when I leave, I will be trying to bring life back to the other monsters trapped down here.” Toriel smiled vibrantly seeing the wide eyed look in Mifty’s four eyes. “I will announce it later, now go. I have a table to set up and then I must prepare for my journey with a dear companion.”

-

“Hey Pinkie it’s breakfast time!” Mifty opened the door to Queen Toriel’s room and saw Pinkie sniffing the pillow and could swear she saw little red hearts wafting off of the ponies head.

“I wasn’t doing anything!” Pinkie quickly put the pillow back on the bed and hurriedly placed a tuft of white fur pulled from a brush into her nearby saddlebags, which she quickly strapped on before giving the four eyed frog a rather fake grin.

“Of course you weren’t… Queen Toriel has seen to it that we are having breakfast together and as her consort she wishes you to see her for breakfast.” Thanks to Mifty, the underworld might be a slightly brighter place even if they couldn’t get out anyway. “She has also decided to stop being so cowardly and will join you on your adventure.”

Considering Mifty just convinced the sleeping queen to awaken from her misery, if Pinkie Pie knew that she had convinced Toriel to go with her then she would have given Mifty a tight hug of not death even if close to asphyxiation.

Looking at the air for a moment, Pinkie nodded and launched herself at the suddenly shocked Mifty. She was going to thank her friend with a great big Pinkie Pie trademarked tight hug of not death even if close to asphyxiation.

- Skip to near the end of breakfast. -

Pinkie happily ate her pancakes and smiled brightly at a Toriel who smiled right back at her, they were going to continue dating to see where it led. Not to say that they weren’t close enough already for Mifty to start declaring Lady Pie as consorting with Queen Toriel, but they just didn’t feel like it went beyond platonic feelings quite yet. Even with snuggling and kissing already involved it was still considered platonic between them.

“I think the monsters here will be able to get by without my presence, I must get to packing. I will be ready to set out within the hour. That will give you enough time to say goodbye to all the friends you have made here.” Today Toriel was wearing her blue robes, which Pinkie had thought looked nice on her and had said as much. It was the reason why she chose blue today; she had all colors of the rainbow in robe colors and at least three matching sets of each.

“Okay, I guess I’ll have to say bye to the spiders, they really cleaned things up around here. Well except for all the spider webs, but it’s rather obvious why they won’t clean those up.” Pinkie left Toriel’s home to go say good bye to all the monsters she had met and that she promised to visit if she survived her travels to the seal on the Underworld.

-

“Thanks for the vegetables; they’ll really help me out.” Pinkie was saying good bye to the Vegetoid’s and they kept giving her free vegetables and were making sure she had a lot of nutritional food with her before she left. “Still don’t know how they grow them underground.”

“Well not all plants necessarily need sunlight until they start growing out of the ground, Vegetoids can empower plants to grow without sunlight and they help keep a lot of monsters fed. The soil down here is very rich and there is plenty of water, so it’s not entirely impossible and just really hard to do without photosynthesizing potential. Solar moss helps a bit, even if it can’t match the power of the sun. Here take this monster compendium I wrote, I can’t exactly go with you because Toriel is leaving me behind as regent Pinkie.” Mifty held out the book to Pinkie and didn’t release until she said her part. “Please make sure our queen doesn’t fall into despair again. Keep her happy, as a lover or just a friend. It doesn’t matter which one you choose to be for her, she just wants to be by your side.”

Pinkie nodded as she stowed away the book, Toriel was definitely a beautiful bipedal creature and if there was one thing Pinkie liked on a beautiful creature… it was a wonderful smile. She was still unsure of where they were going with each other, but she knew that the kiss they shared was really special. She wrapped the scarf Toriel made for her around her neck; it was a pink and white fluffy scarf.

“Go on ahead Pinkie; wait by the exit after the grove. I have to address the other monsters of the ruins about Mifty’s regency and then I will catch up with you.” Toriel tilted her head and smiled brightly, a true smile for Pinkie Pie and the pony was all smiles as well.

With that Pinkie set off down the stairs into the basement and down the tunnel to the door, opening it led further onwards for Pinkie who continued down another long corridor until she came to a grove where she saw a familiar evil flower.

“So you saved one person…?” Flowey was about to go on when Pinkie cut him off.

“I saved a lot of monsters and improved their livelihoods. The question is whether or not I can save you as well Flowey.” Pinkie smiled at the flower who just frowned at her, it was obvious to Pinkie that ‘there is more to Flowey than can be initially seen’. The flower was demented and evil sure, yet there was something about him that had Pinkie determined to ‘find the light in him’.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about; in this world it’s kill or be killed.” The flower seemed particularly upset that he couldn’t wipe the simple smile off of the pony’s dumb face with his words as she stared off into the air blankly.

“Only because you want it to be that way, then again nothing is ever as one perspective sees things to be. You want the world to be dark and grim and I want it to be bright and happy, if we mix them together we see an entirely different picture, mine will be in colors and yours will be in shades of grey. So monsters want to kill me and steal my soul, I don’t have a problem with that if I can always change their minds so that they won’t do that.” Pinkie kneeled down to stare Flowey in the eyes with a friendly demeanor. “I don’t believe in hurting anyone as solving the problem here. You may be creepy and tried murder me, but deep down I don’t think you’re evil at all. I have no idea what it is, but when I do find out what’s wrong with you, you better believe I’m going to try and make things better for you when I do! Why I even Pinkie Pie Promise that I’ll help you one day, cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye. Just know that when I make a promise like that, I definitely intend to keep it!”

The mention of the word ‘promise’ stunned Flowey and he had a look of shock on his face for a bit, he sat there staring off into space blankly as if he were reliving some kind of horrid nightmare. Pinkie leaned forward and kissed Flowey on the forehead and his reaction to this was gagging loudly, followed by angered sputtering and generally just trying to think straight where all his logic was completely thrown out the window. It was interesting at how well logic could actually fly when the gravity of the situation that was involved was flipped upside down.

“Yuck, why did you have to go and do that? Now I’m covered in cooties!” The flower used its two petals to rub at its forehead. It sunk into the ground in apparent disgust leaving Pinkie entirely alone to her thoughts about that strange reaction.

Pinkie stood there staring at the spot the flower disappeared from, she was surely going to have a lot of strange friends in the future if the killer flower was one of the ones she had to really figure out.

“Pinkie, I heard the voice of that demented flower. Are you okay?” Toriel came up to Pinkie looking worried, only to see the pink pony smiling at her vibrantly.

“I’m fine Tori, the flower has got some sad views of the world and I wanted to cheer him up!” All Pinkie had to do now was keep doing what she was doing; also she needed to lose weight. Pinkie seemed bipolar about how often she glared or smiled at the air, currently it was a glare.

“Are you looking at the mysterious messages in the air? I saw them when you forced your soul into me. It told me to save you and I had to think hard on just how to do that. I think I can understand you’re strange actions now because of seeing it personally, what did it say to make you so angry?” Toriel kneeled beside Pinkie to hug her gently.

“Oh I’m not angry, just slightly peeved that I keep getting jabs at my weight. Otherwise what I usually see is rather friendly advice, so if I really had a problem with it I would just stop looking up entirely.” Again Pinkie was talking about nothing and trying to make it sound like she could see something, everyone around Pinkie was slightly crazy and it would only get worse from there.

“I don’t see a problem with that, it just gives me more belly to rub.” Toriel rolled Pinkie on to her back with a gentle push of her foot before started rubbing the ponies belly causing her to giggle uncontrollably. After she was finally done, Toriel looked ahead at the exit to the ruins. “Come on Pinkie, we must be on our way.”

Following the yellow backpack wearing Toriel through the exit, Pinkie walked out into the light of a wide expansive open area that looks like they were in the middle of a forest with a lot of trees packed tightly together and the ground was covered in snow. There was only a single path leading forward.

“Are we still underground?” Pinkie looked to her left and spotted an oddly out of place bush, considering the really tall closely planted together tree’s around this singular pathway. She moved over to the bush as Toriel answered her.

“Yes, we are. Everything you will see here is below ground. Even if it looks like we just walked out into a frozen forest, we are still in the Underworld.” Putting her hands in her sleeves Toriel looked at the road ahead and turned to see what Pinkie was pulling out of a nearby bush. “What’s that?”

“It’s a camera; hey it has a time delay setting on it. Get ready to smile and say ‘Fuzzy Pickles’!” Pinkie’s exuberance led her to placing the camera on top of the bush as she bounced up next to Toriel causing her to look at Pinkie in a weird manner.

“Why would anyone want to say…?” As Toriel was about to say it, Pinkie hopped up and kissed Toriel on the cheek getting her to smile. “Fuzzy pickles.”

A snap was heard and then Pinkie picked up the camera and showed Toriel the picture of them together. She gave off a small chuckle as Pinkie had a big wide smile with a hoof wrapped around Toriel’s waist while she was blushing and smiling about the kiss to the cheek. They looked at several other things about the camera and smiled a bit in a conspiratorial way, then begun whispering to each other.

“Pinkie, I don’t think we’ll ever be far apart if we were to stay just friends.” Toriel watched as Pinkie put the camera away into her saddlebags.

“Me neither, we’re going to have a lot of memories to capture of our adventures here and I’m sure the guy would let us borrow his camera. Come on Tori; let’s walk down this really eerie and spooky pathway together!” Pinkie waved the chuckling goat lady onto the path and they walked along it together.

As they moved along the path Pinkie couldn’t help but feel that something was watching them as they passed over a large stick in the road.

“Well of course you’re watching us, why wouldn’t you be? I mean if you weren’t watching us then what would the point of all this be?” Pinkie stopped when they came up to a weird bridge with what looked like a poorly constructed gate passing over it in a slanted manner that would never stop anyone. If the gate was intended to be Japanese in design, it was working perfectly as an aesthetic to the Underworld given the name of such a gate was ironically enough ‘Torii’. They could hear something trudging in the snow coming up behind them, but they didn’t turn around and there was a question as to why when they’ve only been on this one path for a while. “Eh, it’s probably just the back wind.”

“Hello, don’t you know how to greet a new pal? Turn around and put her there.” Doing as the voice said, both Pinkie and Toriel turned around and saw a shadowy figure.

“Okay Pinkie, stand right there.” Toriel said while pointing to the spot with a smile and Pinkie moved to the spot the outstretched skeletal hand was seemingly motioning out to. “I put her there, now what do I do with her?”

“I mean shake.” The stout skeleton with the blue jacket, white shirt and black shorts said earnestly.

“Oh that’s an easy one; it’s kind of cold out here.” Pinkie started shaking violently, despite the fact that she wasn’t actually that cold.

“Oh my goodness…” The stout skeleton started chuckling and rubbed his head with a bright. “You guys are funny, I meant shake my hand.”

“Okay!” Pinkie shook the skeletons right hand instead of his outstretched left and he jolted a bit when her right hoof wrapped around his hand. “Maybe next time you’ll even ask me to do it without my joy buzzer.”

“Oh you guys are good, how did you know I was a practical joker?” The skeleton asked and then he was shown several pictures from his camera involving him and several pranks, one in particular involving a fart cushion. “Ah, I was wondering where I left that. Now can you shake my hand for real so I can introduce myself?”

Rolling her eyes, Toriel reached out with her left hand and gripped the skeletons left hand only for a farting noise to go off causing Toriel to blush as she shook it.

“Oh my, did I do that Pinkie? I’m afraid we need to ‘air’ out some things between us.” Toriel said jovially. “Like the fact that I can do that whenever I feel like it.”

“Well anyone who can fart on command like that belongs in an insta-toot.” Pinkie and Toriel started laughing along with this new stranger.

“Be still my beating fart, you guys are hilarious! One of you sounds familiar to me though, but I can’t recall where.” The skeleton had yet to introduce who he was and already he was getting along with them.

“I wonder if there will ever be a gas ceiling to all the puns we can make if we put our heads together.” Pinkie and Toriel were smiling brightly with this new stranger.

“Wouldn’t that hurt though?” They started laughing again and then after they calmed down the skeleton held out his hands. “Okay, okay, stop, you’re killing me as much as yourselves! I’m ‘Sans’, sans the skeleton.”

The two laughed at the joke Sans pulled with his name, once they calmed down Toriel motioned to Pinkie while she tried to figure out why sans sounded so familiar.

“Hey Sans, I’m Pinkie Pie! This is my… could I call you my mare friend?” Pinkie asked seriously with a deadpan stare.

“You can call me whatever you want Pinkie, except ugly.” They all started laughing again as Toriel couldn’t help herself. “Seriously though, I am Queen Toriel and it is nice to meet you Sans.”

“You’re voice sounds familiar to me, have we met before?” Sans was genuinely friendly with the two and he was enjoying where the conversation was heading if it kept being a laugh riot. Hopefully nobody got hurt when the police hit the riot with laughing gas. “Anyway, you guys got some good funny bones, very humerus at that. We’re all going to be good friends!”

“Ah yes, I remember now. This is the guy I was telling you about Pinkie; he sat on the other side of the door cracking jokes the entire time when I was feeling lonely. We’re already friends; we just didn’t give our names until now.” Toriel smiled a bit and tried to think of a good joke. “Knock knock.”

“Who’s there?” Sans said immediately wanting to play the game.

“Wanda.” Toriel answered simply with a smile.

“Wanda who?” Sans questioned with a clearly defined smile on his face.

“Wanda hang out with us right now?” After a moment, all three of them smiled and crossed the bridge through the gate together making nonstop puns and cracking jokes every few seconds.

Author's Note:

If you can't figure out why the chapter is title the way it is, define the word 'sans'.

Without sorrow, there is no joy.

Anyway it'll be more than a week at least before you hear from me again, Xenoblade X is soon coming out and I'm jumping on that post haste.