• Published 23rd Nov 2015
  • 6,632 Views, 190 Comments

She's Definitely Got The Mane For It - Dilos1



There's something about Rara that just seems so familiar.

  • ...
27
 190
 6,632

Razzle Dazzle

"Rarity was right," Applejack muttered as a frown found its way to her muzzle once the show was over. "Ah don't believe it."

Now that was not necessarily the truth on her part. She could believe that one of her oldest friends had used such a flashy and, quite frankly, blinding display. She could believe the fact that she had backup dancers, pyrotechnics and flashing strobe lights. And it was actually rather impressive the way her voice was distorted halfway through as she sang.

What she could not believe was the way her manager, a real stuck up prick of a stallion with a mane only slightly less puffy than Pinkie Pie's by the name of Svengallop, was speaking to her. It was not in the kind of way that indicated he thought he was superior to her, but more like he felt he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt what the singer needed every moment. From what she had seen of him so far, all he really did was make demands in her name, always pushing and shoving to get what he wanted.

And Applejack did not like it one bit.

As the farm pony watched said manager trot up to Rara, Applejack's nickname for the mare, and begin complimenting her in ways that sounded more like he was complimenting himself, she turned to talk to Rarity, who had stood next to Applejack during the entire performance. While she was speaking to the alabaster unicorn about Rara's performance, neither mare noticed that, standing a short distance away on the side of the concert stage, a familiar alicorn with a lavender coat was watching the singer conversing with wide eyes.

Is. . . did I just. . . is she a. . .? Twilight Sparkle's brain muttered as it attempted to process what she might have just witnessed. But even as her thoughts continued to run by at a thousand miles an hour she tried to convince herself that it was not true. There was absolutely no way it could be true. All of the suspicions that were building in her head were completely unfounded, and were nothing more than a reaction a rather drastic case of deja-vu. That was it, nothing more.

But as Twilight watched the supposed countess walk away before being intercepted by Applejack, who began talking with the singer in a hushed tone, her suspicions would not leave her be. There was just so much she had in common with those three, it was almost uncanny. The outfit, the singing, the huge stylized mane. Could it really be possible that Applejack's friend was really a-

Twilight quickly shook her head at her own foalish thoughts, chastising herself for even considering such a possibility. After all, there was absolutely nothing suggesting that she really was affiliated with those three. All of the supposed "evidence" Twilight had seen and witnessed were nothing more than especially elaborate and flashy special effects. All she was really doing was jumping to conclusions with nothing to back them up.

"Hello there Twilight," she heard Rarity say as the unicorn approached her, an awestruck smile on her muzzle. "My word, did see Countess Coloratura's performance? It was absolutely stunning was it not?" she said with no small amount of glee.

Twilight pushed her thoughts out of her mind for the moment as she turned to answer her friend.

"Yes I did. I know those songs aren't usually my kind of thing, but even I have to admit it was pretty impressive," Twilight said. "And isn't it also great how Applejack is friends with her? I never would have thought she would know somepony as famous as her, aside from the Princesses of course."

Rarity nodded her agreement. "Indeed it is. And apparently they used to write each other letters, at least until they fell out of touch." Rarity put a hoof to chin as she thought about something. "Although, I do find it rather odd in that Applejack never really knew of Countess Coloratura's success until just today. I would have thought that that information would have already found its way to Applejack long before today."

Twilight considered the observation, agreeing that it was a little odd. "Maybe," she said. "But still, I'm sure it's nothing that's worth getting worked up over. I mean it's like Applejack said, they fell out of contact with each other years ago, so the fact that Applejack knew nothing about it until today is not beyond the realm of possibility."

"Perhaps," Rarity answered with a nod. "But still, I wonder what happened to cause it. She and Applejack seem to be on friendly enough terms, which is something to be gracious for, however. . ." Rarity trailed off.

"However what?" Twilight asked, wondering what had made her fall into silent contemplation. Rarity glanced up at her and cleared her throat to speak.

"Oh, well usually I don't like to impart information without permission, but in this instance I believe it is harmless enough. You see, I just got done speaking with our farm pony friend, and she has made it abundantly clear to me that Coloratura is not the same pony she knew as a filly."

Twilight's ears flicked slightly in response to what she just heard, and she felt the earlier suspicion that she had squashed return just the tiniest bit. "Really?" she said, hoping Rarity had more to say.

She was disappointed however when Rarity replied, "Yes, but I am afraid that is pretty much all I really know about their relationship. Aside from what Applejack has already told us I simply do not know what her friendship with a soon-to-be superstar was like, so I simply cannot say." Noticing the alicorn's contemplative expression Rarity then added, "Oh not to worry dear. I am quite sure everything will work itself out. In the meantime, have you noticed Countess Coloratura's wardrobe? It is simply to die for!"

Twilight let her mood be lightened as Rarity began to gush about the pop star's choice of apparel, momentarily forgetting her worries as the fashionista's praise swept them away from her as the two began to walk to little cart that sold oat-burgers.

"I must say, I simply must contact whoever her tailor is. That outfit of hers is to die for. And the veil she is always wearing, so mysterious. Not to mention that choker with the gems on it."

Twilight came to a complete stop when she heard Rarity say that, and the white unicorn suddenly had the Princess's full wide eyed attention. Rarity noticed the look on Twilight's face and fixed her with a curious expression.

"Is something wrong Twilight?" she asked her friend, wondering if there was something wrong with what she had said, although she could not imagine what it could possibly be. But Twilight did not answer immediately as she looked at Rarity like she had just seen a ghost of some sort, and quite frankly it was beginning to make the fashionista rather nervous. "Twilight?" she said curiously, wondering what was making her friend act like this all of a sudden.

Rarity's voice seemed to snap Twilight out of her odd trance as she lightly shook her head from side to side. "Sorry Rarity," she apologized with a sheepish grin. "I was just thinking of something."

"What about?"

Twilight opened her mouth to speak and tell Rarity what was on her mind, until she spotted some distance behind the fashionista that Applejack had struck up a friendly conversation with Coloratura as the singer was busy giving "hoovesies", little heart shaped stamps designed like horseshoes, to the little fillies and colts that practically swarmed around her. Twilight felt her mouth close as she watched her farm pony friend speaking with the singer.

"Twilight?"

Twilight was slightly startled by Rarity's concerned voice, and she turned to quickly address the question before she inquired about her health. "I'm sorry Rarity," she apologized for the second time today. "I don't know what's going on with me. I just seem to be blanking out all of sudden for some reason."

"Oh my," Rarity said as she put a hoof to Twilight's forehead, presumably to feel her temperature. "You are not falling ill I hope. Tell me dear, do you feel ill? Maybe you should be at home, resting up instead of helping supervise. If you like I can knit you a nice sweater that you would look absolutely lovely in."

Twilight gave a light chuckle as she gently pushed her friends hoof away. "No thank you Rarity, but I appreciate your concern. No, it's nothing like that."

Rarity smiled, looking a bit unsure with Twilight's insistence. "Well, whatever it was dear, I hope it does not continue to bother you. Well now, I must be going. I need to go check and see how Sweetie Belle is doing. I imagine she was quite taken with finally meeting the Countess Coloratura. Farewell."

"Bye," Twilight said as she waved, watching her friend depart. When Rarity was out of sight the sheepish smile on her face slowly fell as she glanced over at the pop star, who had just finished giving hoovesies to the foals, and was now discussing something with her manager. She still doubted the thoughts forming in her head, but still they would not let her rest until she found out for sure.

For the moment she resolved to just simply keep an eye on the singer until a piece of evidence presented itself, whether good or bad.


Twilight could not help but stare wide eyed at the sight that she had just witnessed. Partially hidden but not actually hiding behind the wagon full of supplies, courtesy of Pinkie Pie, Twilight could barely believe what she was seeing.

There Applejack stood, ears drooping and sad expression on her face as she watched what was supposedly her fillyhood friend walk away from her with an angered look on her face, though it was barely seen behind her dark veil. Twilight Sparkle had just witnessed them have a little spat about how Applejack's suspicion of Coloratura letting her manager use her for his personal gain by making demands in her name. It was hardly an inaccurate accusation of the stallion, as Twilight had seen earlier when he was with Pinkie.

What struck her now was the fact how, less than an hour ago the two mares seemed to be on pretty good terms with each other, despite the fact that they had not seen each other for so long. Now however, Twilight was all but forced to bare witness to them part ways after fighting. The more logical part of her brain was still in disbelief, trying to rationalize that all she had seen was a minor disagreement between friends, something she was familiar with in regards to Rainbow Dash.

The rest of her mind saw something else however. Something that she had trained herself to recognize ever since her last visit to the human world. To her, this was not just some ordinary disagreement between old friends. To her, there was a completely different explanation for this, and she began to wonder if she should contact the princess for help. She discarded the thought however, as she would not be able to find Spike in time to put a stop to whatever the supposed mare was up to.

She thought about getting her friends to help, but even though Applejack had just had a fight with her, there was still the possibility that she still considered Coloratura a friend. If she approached the rest of her friends with her theories, then there was a chance that they would take her side over Twilight's. Not to mention it would give the singer an opportunity to get away while they were discussing the matter, especially if she already had Applejack in her thrall. Twilight did not see anything to indicate her friend was under any sort of influence, but still it never hurt to be too careful.

Twilight concluded that she was essentially on her own, as she snuck off to devise a plan on how to deal with this. She didn't want to make it seem like she was confronting Coloratura, as she simply did not know how many other ponies might be under her spell. Svengallop was obvious, as there was virtually nopony that would be that rude to Pinkie Pie. For all she knew there might be an army of enemies around her this very instant.

As Twilight walked along, she found herself eyeing every pony that came near her with a certain amount of suspicion, making sure that she knew what they were doing at every moment.


"Hey Twi'? Can Ah ask ya somethin'?" Twilight was pulled out of her thoughts as she noticed Applejack speaking with her. The lavender alicorn had been sitting on a wooden soapbox, and had been staring at the grassy ground beneath her when the farm pony called her name. She looked up to see Applejack looking at her with a somewhat hopeful expression.

"Sure Applejack, what do you need?" Twilight responded. She was willing to help her friend with whatever she needed, but Twilight still wanted to be cautious. She still did not know if Applejack had been hypnotized or something.

"It's about Rara," Applejack said, and Twilight's ears stood up a little straighter. "Ah'm pretty sure her manager, that Svengallop fella, is just using her."

At the moment Twilight was more willing to believe the opposite was true, but decided not to say anything and hear her friend out. Applejack removed her stetson hat as she continued to speak.

"It's just, Ah think Rara really does care about other ponies. Ah saw the way she was actin' with them school ponies the other day, and Ah know that deep down she's still the same as when we parted. Ah want to remind her of that, but that Svengallop character just keeps stickin' his muzzle in."

"What do you want me to do about it?" Twilight asked, suddenly not so sure of herself. Applejack's words had reminded her that she had also seen how Coloratura acted around the school ponies, how she seemed to be so happy just being with them. And then there was the fact that she was hosting the Helping Hooves Music Festival. She had even said so herself that meeting with the school ponies was her favorite part of the concert. Would any one of those three really do something like that?

Twilight doubted it, and that only made her wonder if she wasn't just jumping to conclusions based on nothing more than mere suspicion. After all, she had not actually seen Coloratura do anything harmful.

Applejack interrupted her musings by voicing her request.

"Ah've asked Rara ta give me a chance to prove to her that what Ah'm sayin' is true, and Ah need your help to do it. Are ya up for it Twi?"

Twilight furrowed her brow in thought, wondering what she should do. She was still suspicious of the singer, but that suspicion had all but gone up in smoke in the face of her more rational thoughts.

Her mind made up, Twilight gave a short nod. "Of course Applejack," she said. "What did you have in mind?"


Twilight stood on the main section of the concert stage, overseeing Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy as they hovered above with a red tarp in their hooves. Though her attention was focused on the two pegasi, she was aware of Countess Coloratura standing little ways behind her on the catwalk. Every once in a while Twilight would glance at the singer, still unable to decide whether or not she was right or wrong. She was leaning more towards the fact that she was wrong, but the little seed of worry if she was right was still there.

Svengallop had just finished finished speaking to Coloratura, and was practically ecstatic when he heard that she had decided to cancel the contest for the school ponies that was to be held later. He trotted away to speak with Pinkie Pie, no doubt about the change in plans.

Twilight then noticed Applejack giving her a nod. Twilight nodded back, and quickly flew up to spy on the two ponies conversation over the top of the stage. What she saw there made her feel like decking the stuck up stallion, and her wariness of Coloratura faded as she watched her friend be insulted by him. At the moment, she wanted nothing more than to fly down there and give Svengallop a piece of her mind, whether he was under some sort of spell or not. She reigned herself in however, and when Svengallop had finished "speaking" with Pinkie, he left to meet up with Coloratura on the stage again, leaving the pink mare on the verge of tears.

Twilight was going to have some words for him later when this was all taken care of.

Her task complete, Twilight flew back down, though she remained airborne as she watched the stallion approach Coloratura with a rather smug grin, one that Twilight wanted so desperately to smack right off of his face. To her mild surprise, Coloratura's own expression suggested that she felt the same as Svengallop spoke to her.

"Okay Countess Coloratura. All taken care of," he said. Before he could say any more however, Twilight lit up her horn, and a large rectangular magical construct appeared above the stage, drawing everypony's attention to it as an image of the scene Twilight had just witnessed played on it like a movie projector. Soon, Svengallop's voice emanated from seemingly nowhere as the stallion on the screen spoke to Pinkie in a rude manner.

"You know the drill: deliver, or the diva ditches your dippy charity."

A momentary pause followed, during which everypony began to cast disapproving glares at the stallion on the stage, including Coloratura. Twilight allowed the construct to fade into nothingness as she watched the scene play out.

"So that's how you've been managing things?" she questioned as she glared at the Svengallop, a mix of disbelief and disapproval in her voice.

Svengallop however did not seem to catch the hint as he said, "Yeah, so? What's the problem?" It was obvious to Twilight that he was all but oblivious to the looks he was receiving.

Stomping up to Svengallop, Coloratura explained. "The problem is you've been using my name to intimidate ponies to get you want!" she exclaimed, punctuating the statement by stomping her hoof on the stage. Twilight looked on with vested interest, as the worry in her heart melted away at the sight she was witnessing.

"But I work incredibly hard for you," Svengallop replied, almost sounding whiny in Twilight's ears. "I deserve everything I get."

"But because you scare ponies into thinking I won't perform for their charity's otherwise," the Countess snapped back. "I would never do that to my fans!" Coloratura proceeded to get right up into Svengallop's face. "Which is why you should have known that I would never have canceled the school ponies contest."

"Hmf! All this charity and school pony contest nonsense is just remnants of that boring little Rara I met back in Manehatten." Svengallop said with no small amount of disdain as he spoke to her.

"You clearly don't understand the real me!" Coloratura said as she flipped the veil, which up until now Twilight had never seen her without, over her head, revealing her eyes teal eyes. At this point the lavender alicorn had heard enough to convince her beyond a shadow of a doubt that her fears were completely unjustified, but she still stayed however to see how this scene would play out. She may have been the Princess of Friendship, but personally she wanted to see the singer sock the stallion right on the muzzle before it was over.

It was unfortunately not to be however, as Svengallop practically laughed right in her face as he said, "Heh! That's a joke! I made you somepony! What can you even do without me?" Trotting away from her as though he were the most important thing in the world, Svengallop said, "Good luck Countess Coloratura." And with that he was gone, nose up the air like he was a noble pony, leaving the singer glaring daggers at him before a frown found its way to her face and her ears drooped low.

At that moment, Twilight wanted nothing more than to fly down and comfort the mare, but Applejack beat her to the punch. Staring off at where Svengallop was headed, Twilight began to fly after him.

She still had a few choice words for him before he left.


Twilight Sparkle found Svengallop just as he was entering the the little trailer set up behind the concert stage that Coloratura used to rest in. He opened the door forcefully, and even from a distance the Princess could plainly hear the curses he was muttering under his breath.

Twilight descended to the ground just as the thin door slammed shut behind him. With a stern expression on her face, she casually trotted up to the trailer. She heard the sound of the stallion rummaging around inside as she reached the door. She was just about to raise a hoof to knock when the rummaging stopped suddenly. Twilight paused, a little unsure, before she shrugged.

She was cut off yet again when Svengallop exclaimed from inside, his voice slightly muffled, "You think this is over Coloratura?" he half shouted, and even though she could not see him, Twilight could plainly hear the anger in the words, like just saying the singers name had left a bad taste in his mouth. "You are going to regret making a fool out of me!"

Twilight had just about had enough of the pony's antics, and brought her hoof again to knock on the door and let him know exactly what she thought about him upsetting her friends.

"I know what you really are, you stupid seahorse thing!"

Twilight halted immediately when she heard that last bit, and her hoof froze just before it made contact with the door.

Did he just say. . . ?

Twilight tilted her ears forward to listen more intently to the stallions sputtering.

"You may think you're so clever, hiding what you really are from all of these ponies, trying to get on their good side. Well, let's see how much they love you when I've shown them what you really are, you sneaky siren."

Twilight felt her heart skip more than a few beats, and her face instantly paled at the revelation.

So it was true! The pony was exactly what Twilight's paranoid mind had suspected all along! She was not a pony at all!

Countess Coloratura was a siren!

Twilight felt all sorts of feelings begin to flood her mind as a result of finding out the truth, if unintentionally. She felt a certain sense of pride at her suspicions being confirmed, anger that she had been fooled like everypony else, and fear at what might happen if the information was not taken to the Princesses, or at least the local authorities. But amid all of those other emotions, Twilight felt something rather strange, something she did not expect to feel.

Twilight Sparkle felt saddened.

She was not upset by the fact that Coloratura, Applejack's fillyhood friend, had turned out to be one the things Twilight had fought against on the other side of the mirror, but because even though she was right, she was also wrong as well. Yes, Coloratura may be a siren, at least according to Svengallop, but she certainly did not act like the ones Twilight had met. She was nothing like them in any way, shape or form.

Countess Coloratura was a kind, generous mare that was close friends with Applejack. Not once had Twilight ever seen the singer do anything to really indicate if she was evil like the others. In all of the times Twilight had seen her, Coloratura had been more generous and thoughtful than most ponies that Twilight knew.

So yes, Twilight was upset by the fact that Coloratura turned out to be a siren, but she also felt guilty for suspecting her of wrong doing simply because her past interactions with her kind. It was like what she had told Rainbow Dash when she and Pinkie had visited Griffonstone. The actions of others do not reflect the actions of all.

Still Twilight wondered, if Coloratura really was a siren, then how was she able to keep herself going without spreading negativity and hate everywhere she went? She imagined that it must be difficult for her to get by without it, so how was she sustaining herself.

Her thoughts on the matter were interrupted when the Twilight heard Svengallop trotting inside, coming towards the door. She stepped off to the side to avoid having it slam into her face just as the stallion kicked it open. The open door hid her from view as he stepped out holding something in his right hoof.

"Now, let's see how well you can manage without me when I've exposed you for what you are. I wonder where the Princesses will cart you off to. A dungeon cell underneath Canterlot sounds fitting, although I'm sure with a few tall tales I can get you a spot somewhere even better, like somewhere in Everfree or, ooh! Maybe Tartarus!"

Svengallop kicked the door closed with a back hoof, allowing Twilight to see him holding a very familiar looking red gem in his hoof. "We'll see how much all those stupid charity's do for you after you've been carted off to some-"

"Ahem."

Svengallop yelped in fright as he quickly turned to face the pony that had snuck up on him, only to find a certain purple princess looking at him with a very unamused look on her face. He either did not notice the look, or just didn't care as he said, "Oh my, uh, Princess Twilight! It is an honor."

Twilight Sparkle did not say anything in response.

Svengallop continued to run his mouth at a million miles an hour anyway. "Princess! I am afraid that I have the absolute worst news! I believe that there is one of those dreaded sirens among us!"

"Really?" Twilight said, although Svengallop seemed to finally notice the lack of any actual concern in her voice and the look she was giving him. This threw him for a little bit of a loop, but he appeared to choose to ignore it as he continued speaking.

"Uh, well yes! And I have reason to believe that it may actually be Countess Coloratura!" Svengallop set the gem on the ground before putting a hoof to his forehead in a show of despair. "Oh! This is an absolute tragedy! To think that somepony so beloved could be a monster in disguise! We have to contact the police, the royal guard, the other princesses! Something must be done!" he exclaimed.

"I agree," Twilight Sparkle said before her horn lit up in a light magenta aura.


"There you are Twilight," Rarity exclaimed as the lavender pony sidled up beside the fashionista. The two ponies stood among an entire crowd of stallions and mares as they watched Coloratura perform in front of everypony with Applejack by her side. In front of the two mares, Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo sang their hearts out, their lovely voices filling Twilight's heart and everypony else's with joy and admiration. It had admittedly been a surprise for all when the pop star strayed from her usual routine of strobe lights and pyrotechnics to sing straight from her heart while playing on a grand piano.

"Wherever have you been dear? We missed you," Rarity scolded, though Twilight knew there was no actual malice in her friends tone. She was just upset that she had missed a little bit of the show.

"Sorry Rarity," Twilight apologized. "I just had to help a friend."

Rarity did not inquire to what Twilight was referring to, though she did wonder why she was smiling like that.

Twilight continued to smile as she watched Applejack sing on the stage, not even knowing that she was standing right next to a siren the entire time. And to be completely honest with herself, Twilight could not have been happier.

Author's Note:

When I first saw Countess Coloratura, my very first thought was "Siren". I mean seriously, look at that hair style. The only other creatures that I have seen sporting that much mane are the Dazzlings.

And once again I am left wondering where exactly Equestria lies in the technological department.
I know this is not my best work, and I'm reasonably confident I messed up some of the details from the episode, but I hope you enjoyed it never-the-less.

Also, do me and a friend a favor and look up his story, http://www.fimfiction.net/story/300734/the-watchers-orgins by zyonzillia. It's pretty interesting, and in a good way to boot.
Alert me to any errors or mistakes in the comments section below.

Now, as for what became of Svengallop. . . For now I shall leave that up to your imagination.:pinkiecrazy: