• Published 25th Nov 2015
  • 4,264 Views, 82 Comments

Sunset Shimmer - Rainbow Dawn - Woomod



Sunset Shimmer struggles with her burgeoning rainbow powers while trying to reconnect to Equestria.

  • ...
19
 82
 4,264

Epilogue - The Sum of All Choices

The Princess of the Sun awoke from her bed, she walked up to the Balcony to raise the sun. “Blossom I would have words with you.”, magic gathered around her as the sun began to rise. The Princess took in the smell of morning, as her sun’s light filled the room. Another day, Just like there would be countless thousands of.

A song both cruel and kind entered the room, it coalesced into a physical form. “You have need of me Sun Princess?”

“You told me, that your truth was of liberation, that truth allowed us to escape our fates. But in following your guidance, I only fulfilled mine. Do you have any idea how much I want to throttle you right now?” Sunset shimmer stated.

“Quite a bit I imagine, But I only guided you to the path you wanted to take anyways.” Blossom replied.

“That’s what pisses me off the most.” Sunset spat back. “I wanted a Sun Princess who knew humility even if they embraced pride, who could be sincere, who could live harmony not just preach it.” Sunset Sighed looking up at the red sun she controlled. “If I had taken two seconds I could have caught myself and realized, I never stopped wanting the throne, I just stopped wanting it for my sake.”

Sunset looked out the balcony, she could see the strands of light, the individual souls mingling and touching, connecting to one another. She could see the harmony unfolding in the world in front of her, she waited a few minutes. “It really is beautiful.” Sunset smiled softly at the beautiful kingdom in front of her. “Harmony, is countless different things, individual pieces coming together, the countless colors coming together to create a beautiful mosaic. You have my answer blossom, now leave.”

“Of course princess.” Graceful blossom gave a slight bow.

In a few moments that song dissipated and Sunset was alone with her thoughts, It was time for her first day of day court, and she held no intent to not live up to her mother’s example.


The Pegasus looked up at the red sun from the Atrium and smiled. “Sister come on, It’s been so long since I had chance to get out it.”

“Alright Celestia, let me just put myself together. I think people would notice an Alicorn, and I do appreciate my privacy.” Luna took on the appearance of an earth pony. “We should probably pack some things for the adventure.”

“Oh you and your adventuring toolkit, where’s the fun in an adventure if you are prepared for everything.” Celestia chuckled at her sister.

Luna smiled. “Indeed, what is the fun? It is nice to see you so relaxed again sister.”

“Well, I don’t have to worry about everything anymore. I know there’s someone doing my job, and I know she’ll do a great job because she has great friends to help me.” She took one last look at the red sun and smiled.


The girl approached the statue, she touched it, but nothing happened. Tears ran down her face, she looked at the book in her hand, emblazoned with a two toned sun.

“I don’t understand how you work, but I know you can reach her.” The girl started to beg. “Please, I never got to tell her that...I love her, and now she’s gone. I know now my place is with her, wherever she goes. PLEASE JUST LET ME REACH HER!”

For a moment nothing happened, the girl collapsed in tears. Then the portal in front of her opened up. Twilight sparkle looked up at the portal, she waited a moment she was not making a decision but staring in disbelief. She stood up and without a second thought entered the portal, to where she belonged.

Author's Note:

Stories do not always go as we imagine they will when we start them, I had it planned that Sunset would grapple with enlightenment and attachment, and realize her answer is that web of attachment and it was a false dichotomy. But with every chapter this ending became more and more inevitable, to be true to the character's there was only one point where she could have been tempted to pursue enlightenment as blossom saw it, but that first time was always going to be temporary you don’t run away with someone you’ve just met, as knowledgeable as they might be about your situation.

Rather than grappling with a false temptation, Sunset grappled with the ramifications of her enlightenment, and grappled with making a home for herself again. In doing so I became as trapped in this answer as she did.

Comments ( 19 )

so is there going to be a sequel? and im guessing that was scitwi at the end with the bit at the human world

please tell me there's a sequel coming. Sci-Twi, in Canterlot?!?! Oh and great story. A little bare with the details but a nice and concise story with little grammar mistakes.

7105129

please tell me there's a sequel coming. Sci-Twi, in Canterlot?!?! Oh and great story. A little bare with the details but a nice and concise story with little grammar mistakes.

There will probably be a sequel coming.
I may or may not do something with Blossom before continuing this.

7105126

so is there going to be a sequel? and im guessing that was scitwi at the end with the bit at the human world

Yes that was SciTwi, obviously.

Absolutely brilliant.

7105146 good was just making sure you where not planning a plot twist and making it some one else

any ways this story ended sooner than i expected i was expecting it to be longer

7105158

good was just making sure you where not planning a plot twist and making it some one else

IT SAYS Twilight Sparkle, And I only got two of those to work with.
And I don't think Princess Twi needs to cross a portal or hasn't communicated her feelings.

any ways this story ended sooner than i expected i was expecting it to be longer

As was I! But the story has reached a natural climax. I can leave the story here and it's complete, we can largely fill in the blanks with the only blatant unanswered question being blatant sequel bait but that in itself answers questions about the consequences of Sunset going to Equestria and chaining herself to the throne to free Celestia.

So we can think of this "Book" as complete, even if there are clear places for the next "Book" to go.

Seems to me like Sunset was forced into a role she didn't actually want, solely for the purpose of giving Celestia an out from her responsibilities.In which case, I'm right there with Sunset in wanting to throttle her.

7105178 oh so it does i missed that now i feel stupid this is what i get for reading the last chapter when im tired feel free to pelt me with plushies of sunser shimmer

7105192

Seems to me like Sunset was forced into a role she didn't actually want, solely for the purpose of giving Celestia an out from her responsibilities.In which case, I'm right there with Sunset in wanting to throttle her.

That's the irony/tragedy, she became everything she wished her mother could be as ruler, and in so doing created a trap for herself. She was even warned she was walking into a trap of her own devising, but it's Sunset, she's bloody minded.

Speaking of Tragedy tag added.

7105211

Yeah, in other words, she was set up to take the fall by someone who was more than willing to use her own mentality against her just so Celestia didn't have to have responsibility anymore. You can see why I don't like Blossom.

7105565

Yeah, in other words, she was set up to take the fall by someone who was more than willing to use her own mentality against her just so Celestia didn't have to have responsibility anymore. You can see why I don't like Blossom.

That is acceptable, she was always meant to be as much antagonist as mentor into that wider world.
I'm far more interested in if you understand blossom, than if you like her.

7105640

*shrugs* Depends. Some people will understand characters in ways other than how a writer intends. It's all about perspective sometimes, really.

Well I thought I liked it, and then the characters just lost me

Time to get off this train I guess

7149330

When did the character's lose you?

This isn't a bad story, but dang could it use some proofreading.

7149337 Do you hate how your comment didn't get a response? Also, why doesn't this story have an Equestria Girls tag?

Interesting. Could use some proofreading but otherwise a nice story. I will admit mysticism isn’t my usual cup or tea but I did enjoy your approach to it.

All right, this story has horrible grammar, and rushes a bit in places, but underneath has great content as a whole.

Though personally, I think it would have been better to start the story at the Friendship Games, and been a bit clearer about where the Rainbow Power came from. Or that those were the same thing. Twilight's theories sound too convenient when they are the only option presented and they are meant to be taken as the right answer.

Login or register to comment