• Published 25th Nov 2015
  • 4,264 Views, 82 Comments

Sunset Shimmer - Rainbow Dawn - Woomod



Sunset Shimmer struggles with her burgeoning rainbow powers while trying to reconnect to Equestria.

  • ...
19
 82
 4,264

Chapter 5 - Till the Morning

Twilight headed for dinner, she hadn’t had time to share her current findings with Celestia, and Sunset had yet to be found. As she approached two guards opened the dining room where Celestia and Luna were already seated.

Luna looked up from behind a stack of pancakes and downed a cup of coffee before speaking. “Ah excellent, You did not miss breakfast as you did dinner. I was very disappointed Twilight Sparkle, as was this mysterious niece of mine’s missing which she appears to be missing entirely now.” She poured more coffee from the pot in front her after speaking and took a sip.

“We don’t even know where she is Luna please don’t take offense….” Twilight started to protest before being cut off.

“Did I Miss anything?” A yellow unicorn with red&orange hair said as she sauntered up to the table, she looked at the waiter. “Cheese Pizza and Chamomile Tea, please.”

“SUNSET!” Twilight shouted.

“Sunset, welcome home.” Celestia smiled at her daughter.

“Drinking, at just about every pub in the city except Yets. Graceful Blossom can drink enough for a room….literally I think.” Sunset then added almost as an afterthought. “Also the Aether.”

“Whose Grac…..THE AETHER!” Twilight shouted.

“Ah so you met with miss Blossom and she helped you through your fears?” Sunset nodded in response to inquiry. “Still I wish you had come to me to, I understand there is a distance between us but…” Sunset laid her head on Celestia’s shoulders nuzzling her softly. “Sunset what are you doing.”

Sunset pulled her head up. “I just wasn’t thinking and I’ve only been able to go be by myself when I’ve felt vulnerable for years.” Sunset smiled as her tea arrived and she took a sip. “So it was just second nature to me by now to go off on my own when I was worried and vulnerable.” She looked at Celestia. “I understand what it’s like to be you, to wear that facade to have to look strong all the time, Even if for me it was fear instead of hope I had to wear. I still had to live as a symbol.”

Celestia was taken aback and stared at Sunset, how much had her daughter learned and changed in these years? Three to her perspective from what she understood, and in that time she had learned more of what Celestia had tried to teach as well as so much she had never sought to bring upon her daughter when she was so young.

“Excuse me! Can we return to the part where Sunset apparently flew outside the atmosphere! I mean how is that even possible?!” Twilight spoke up.
“Blossom carried an air bubble with us.” Sunset stated matter of factly.

“And who is this Blossom again?” Twilight sighed exasperated.

“She helps at the orphanage in the Canterlot slums Twilight, if you’d like to meet her.” Celestia replied helpfully.

“Ok, so let me get this straight, there’s apparently some pegasus powerful enough to do something even you two can’t do, that if we applied that power we could learn more about the Aether in a month than the last six centuries...just….helping at an orphanage. Not you know anything important, Just raising kids.” Twilight stated slowly.

Luna took a sip of coffee and spoke up finally. “Are you suggesting that we force Ms. Blossom to use this magic as you say?”

“Well No, But….” Twilight started.

“That is good, for if you were I would suggest you start your program closer to home so as not to appear biased. Your friend Rarity has a spell to recreate dresses she has already made I believe, We could have her redesign the guards uniform and mass produce them for instance.” Luna concluded.

Twilight didn’t say a word of protest she knew better than to argue with Luna when she pulled out an example. “So I did some data correlation and I think I can explain the connection between Sunset Shimmer and the Elements.” Celestia raised an eyebrow. “Not to doubt you or Luna’s ability of course, but you just didn’t have some of the new data gained recently.”

“Not to doubt your ability Twilight, But I question if this is proper dinner conversation?” Celestia inquired.

Luna held up a hoof. “Let her speak Sister, we talk about business over dinner all the time. Why should we stop young family members from such traditions?”

“Ummm thank you Luna?” Twilight wasn’t sure she should be thankful as it was more of a conversational dodge, but she was now kinda stuck. She took a moment taking a breath and letting out a soft cough. “Well you see, The elements are able to access their energy from anywhere even dimensions without magic, Likewise even when the tree was weak they were able to provide more energy than they previously did to me and my friends, While finally Sunset taps into this same energy without them which we thought otherwise Impossible.” Twilight spoke rapidly without stopping. “These are the new findings we’ve had which we can use to infer a great deal about their nature, they seem to be tapping into an extradimensional energy source that for lack of a better word overlaps with all nearby or possibly all dimensions.”

“It also contains information, you were able to glean information from channeling it. Namely the fact it already existed on Earth.” Sunset added helpfully.

“That’s true, so Sunset&The Elements are actually acting as some kind of conduit to an extradimensional source of energy. We of course still don’t know the long term effects of being such a conduit on a living being so we should continue to moniter Sunset.” Twilight finished her report.

Luna spoke up once more. “It also acts of it’s own volition.”

Twilight blinked once. “What?”

Luna restated in the exact same tone. “It also acts of it’s own volition, it was certainly not my Sister’s intent to imprison me on the moon.”

Twilight blinked again and stared wide eyed. “But that would mean.”

Sunset smiled and chuckled. “So she can learn!”

Twilight turned her head towards Sunset. “What’s that supposed to mean?!”

“It means……..You wouldn’t know that the sky was blue unless you read it in a book Princess.” Sunset replied leaning forward.

“Yeah well, I’m not the one who ran away from mommy because she wouldn’t give me a pair of wings, and oh look at me.” Twilight expanded her wings out. “WINGS!”

“Who needs wings? There’s nothing like the magical feeling of The Rainbow flowing through me.” Sunset shouted back.

In a flash the room seemed filled with light and Celestia’s presence filled the room. “Girls, calm down.” The elder princess stated calmly.

“Oh let them have their fun sister.” Luna said. “If i’m lucky maybe i’ll get to watch them go at it.”

“I’d prefer not to watch that sister.” Celestia replied.

“Your loss.” Luna chuckled.

Suitably chastised the two younger royals quieted themselves and returned properly to their seats, and began to eat their dinner quietly.



Dinner finished and Celestia stood up. “Well thank you for dinner, but it’s been quite the day and I for one intend to retire early.”

“Oh but sister, should you not throw a surprise party for your prodigal sun?” Luna smiled.

“Blossom, I’m not throwing a Surprise party besides I would need to plan….” Then her eyes caught Luna, and caught the mischievous glint in her eyes of a prank pulled. “You didn’t.”

“The Sun is down sister, I’m current acting diarch. The Party is has been planned, the order given.” Luna smiled triumphantly. “Your daughter is home, enjoy the festivities.” She added in a conciliatory tone.

“I’m going to regret this in the morning.” Celestia sighed.

“You’d regret it more if you skipped it.” Her sister replied.

“I Know.” Celestia sighed and nodded. “There will be cake right?”


Normally the castle was not open to everyone and normally it did not host grand parties, but the call had come there was a party and everyone is invited. So everyone did, from all corners and strata of Canterlot, and the castle gates were open to them, no invitation necessary.

However to the upper classes, and to the press, That it was happening was not as important as why. ‘To commemorate the return of my niece, We are throwing a great night party as a surprise to Both her and her mother.’. A new royal, one born into the gold and white, not uplifted from a pair of wings. While other older members of the upper class feared what who it meant, gossip of such things is rarely forgotten.

Then they walked out, the guests of honor, and the crowds fell silent. Celestia appeared as she always did, no exceptional adornments, but as always she commanded the room’s attention with her presence and charisma. The Unicorn that walked only a step behind her demanded the same attention, her horn unnaturally long and spiraled, the white & pink dress she wore emblazoned with her cutie mark, if they had expected Celestia’s daughter to be an alicorn they had no room for disappointment. They had all suffered under tirek, all seen the form the element bearer’s to return their magic and destiny’s to them, That same form and power marked this Unicorn who stood beside their princess.

Of course, Awe only stops the press so long, about 3 seconds to be exact, and then as if on que the two were swarmed by questions. “Is it true you are Celestia’s daughter?” “What’s your name?” “Where have you been?” “What is your opinion on the two new Princesses?” “What connection do you have to the Rainbow Power?”

Twilight was cut off from them and couldn’t reach. “Shameful I know.” Spoke a voice next to her. “Supposed to be some casual get together, and they are turning it into a giant display, don’t worry Celestia will put her hoof down soon enough. Wine?”

“Oh thank you.” She said taking the glass proffered to her. “I wouldn’t call it shameful it’s just disappointing. I haven’t been able to talk to Sunset and hoped we could talk during this supposably ‘casual’ party.” Twilight replied begging to drink the glass of wine in her telekinesis.

“Then I guess I must apologize for monopolizing her time this day. But I assure you, you will have plenty of time tonight.”

Twilight turned to look at the pink pegasus with closed eyes. “So you are graceful blossom?”

The mare bowed. “Guilty as charged princess. I figured I could provide your escort until Sunset is free.”

“Um, I...Can I ask you a question?” Twilight sputtered out trying not to sound rude.

Blossom nodded. “Yes, I am blind.”

“You helped Sunset through her fears while you two were drinking?” Twilight asked.

“Yes.” Blossom said taking what was left of the wine bottle and flipping it upside down and the top into her mouth.

Twilight blinked at the pegasus rampant consumption of alcohol. “You think you might be overdoing it?”

“Yes, it’s a terrible habit, inhibits the third eye chakra.” Blossom said through the bottle.

Twilight was extremely puzzled, she said it as if that was the point. “Why would you want to inhibit your third eye?”

Blossom popped the finished bottle out of her mouth. “Because if you heard what I hear, you would vainly try to not hear it too.” Blossom laughed.

“Ummmm, okkkkkk.” Twilight looked at the pegasus, she didn’t understand. “So what did you and Sunset talk about.”

“Everything, and What’s she’s become, not to imply those are different things to talk about.”
Twilight’s ears perked up and she began a rapid fire question round. “You know about what’s happened to her? Is channeling the extradimensional energies directly dangerous? How do you know about these things?”

Blossom giggled. “Inquisitive aren’t you. To give you my answer, she escaped her dharma and samsara achieving moksha, Though that’s not her answer as only she can give you her answer. No, it’s not dangerous. I know about these things because i too have achieved moksha.”

“Dharma, Samsara, Moksha?” Twilight asked inquisitively. “WAIT you too so you are….”

“Enlightened, Transcendent, Arhant. I could give you a million names for the concept. I am in my way what Sunset has become in her way.”

“Enlightened, So I just need to learn more? What did she learn between being hit by the Rainbow and the Sirens to let her access it’s power? If I were too learn more about the elements, I could...equal Sunset?” Twilight looked at blossom pleadingly.

“If truth was such an easy thing to so many who seek it would not fail. Those who find are not necessarily those who seek. Kings, Princes, Paupers, Craftsman, Scholars, and Soldiers. It seems there is no rhyme or reason to those who find.” Blossom replied kindly, sadly, as if she knew exactly what she was saying to the alicorn.

“I see….So you are saying I will never be equal to Sunset.” Twilight set her eyes on the Pegasus.

“I am saying, I am not the person who will answer that question. Now I believe you should intercept Sunset.” Blossom replied grabbing another bottle of wine and walking off.

“That is quite enough.” Celestia declared forcefully, her presence echoing across the dining hall turning all eyes to her. “This is a social party, Not a sideshow. If you continue to treat my daughter like one I will toss you out, my sister’s party or not. Is, that, clear?” Celestia stated with an intensity that very few at the party had seen or would see again.

As the orange haired pony walked out of the crowd Twilight moved quickly to intercept. “Hey Sunset, Mind If I’m your escort to this party?”

“Welllll I do need someone to introduce me to all the new notables, I don’t mind if you don’t mind escorting a lady.” Sunset beamed at her friend.

“No problem whatso-”

“Sunset I’m glad to grab you after that crowd, the Press Am I Right?” The White furred and blone maned Stallion stated politely.

“Bluebloo-”

“Cousin Bluey! How’s it been? Oh it’s been so long!” Sunset grabbed Twilight’s hoof and presented it. “And I’m sure you know my Escort Princess Twilight Sparkle.”

Twilight looked at blueblood and did her best to sound polite. “Yes we’ve met, greetings Prince Blueblood.”

“Actually I’m pretty sure those are the first kind words she’s ever said to me Sunset.” Blueblood stated matter of factly. ”Anyways, I’m so glad you are back, Auntie must be overjoyed, we will need to go slumming.” He held up Sunset’s hoof. “But I shan’t take your attentions from your escort any longer.” He stated walking off.

“You two uhhhh, knew each other? You two seemed friendly.” Twilight looked at Sunset, then looking down at her hoof in Sunset’s.

“He’s royalty, hard for us not to know each other.” Sunset thought for a moment. “Yeah, I guess we were pretty friendly. Anyways, that was then, this is now. So what we do my escort? I expect an excellent escorting job, after all this is in my honor.”

“I….Yes. Escorting, would you like a drink?” Twilight asked.

“I think i’m all drank out Twilight.” Sunset shook her head.

Twilight thought, rubbing her temple with her other hoof.

“How about dancing!” Sunset suggested cheerfully.

“I….What?” Twilight blinked at that suggestion.

“Dancing it Is!” Sunset said dragging Twilight onto the dance floor.

Chuaigh mé isteach i dteach aréir, is d'iarr mé cairde ar mhnaoi an leanna. Is é dúirt sí liom "Ní bhfaighidh tú deor. Buail an bóthar is gabh abhaile.

I came by a house last night, And told the woman I am staying, I said to her: "The moon is bright and my fiddles tuned for playing"

Twilight dragged onto the dance floor tried to dance with Sunset, but she flailed and tripped like she had four left hooves. Sunset grabbed her in her hoof. “Can’t dance?”

“Not Really.”

“Can you stand on two hooves?”

Tell me that the night is long, Tell me that the moon is glowing, Fill my glass, I'll sing a song, And will start the music flowing

“Um Yes, why?” Twilight asked sunset inquisitively.

“Because, we’ll dance that way.” Sunset said as she confidently lifted herself onto two hooves, and pulled Twilight up with her.

Never mind the rising light, There's no sign of day or dawning, In my heart it's still the night, And we'll stay here till the morning.

Níl sé ina lá, níl a ghrá,níl sé ina lá is ní bheidh go maidin,níl sé ina lá is ní bheidh go fóill, solas ard atá sa ghealaigh.

Twilight was pulled so close as to touch Sunset, and the shorter mare began to take the lead, slowly at first as Twilight tried to keep her balance.

It's not day nor yet awhile, I can see the starlight shining, Níl sé ina lá is ní bheidh go fóill, solas ard atá sa ghealaigh.

Slowly building speed as Twilight gained confidence in following Sunset’s lead. Until the two began to draw eyes, the Princess and the Strange unicorn dancing in their unique way, but neither notice they were in their own little world of the song and the dance.

Fill the glasses one more time, And never heed the empty bottle, Turn the water into wine, And turn the party up full throttle

“Where did you learn to dance like this?” Twilight asked sunset.

“I was princess of the fall formal three times you know.” Sunset laughed.

“So this is a human dance then.” Twilight nodded. “Whatever drove you to do a human dance as a pony?”

Don't go out into the cold, Where the wind and rain are blowing, For the fire is flamming gold, And in here the music's flowing

Níl sé ina lá, níl a ghrá, níl sé ina lá is ní bheidh go maidin, níl sé ina lá is ní bheidh go fóill, solas ard atá sa ghealaigh.

“Well I’d say it was your four left hooves.” Sunset replied as she continiued to lead the purple princess faster across the dance floor.

“Well, I want to thank you for it.” Twilight smiled. “I don’t think we could have danced otherwise…”

Tell me that the night is long, Tell me that the moon is gleaming, Fill my glass, I'll sing a song, And we'll keep the music streaming, Until all the songs are sung

Níl sé ina lá, níl a ghrá, níl sé ina lá is ní bheidh go maidin, níl sé ina lá is ní bheidh go fóill, solas ard atá sa ghealaigh.

Níl sé ina lá, níl a ghrá, níl sé ina lá is ní bheidh go maidin, níl sé ina lá is ní bheidh go fóill, solas ard atá sa ghealaigh.

Of course all good things must come to an end, and Twilight tripped and skidded across the floor taking Sunset with her. As they got up, Both of them just laughed, oblivious to the eyes at their dance, and oblivious to the eyes at their mistake.


It was shortly before dawn, Sunset looked at the purple alicorn nuzzled next to her in her bed as she got up untangling her and walking towards the nearby balcony.

“Is this what you want?” Blossom asked a serious tone in her voice calm and pleasant voice.

“You know that it’s what must be done.” Sunset stated as she looked towards the moon.

“You are evading the question, what must be done is your choice. I’m asking you if it’s the choice you want to make.” Blossom responded.

Sunset said nothing and her magic gathered around her, yellow energy running along her body as slowly lifted into the air.

Blossom sighed and began to beat her wings, music filled canterlot and as Sunset began to sing her voice carried with the music.

High is the Moon tonight, Hiding it’s guiding light.
Heaven and Earth do Sleep, Still in the dark so deep, I will the darkness sweep.
I will the moon to flight, I will the heavens bright, I will the earth delight.
Open your eyes with me, See Paradise with me, Awake and Arise with me.

The music grew louder.

I am the dawn, I’m the new day begun, I bring you the morning, I bring you the Sun.
I hold back the night, and I open the skies, I give light to the world, I give sight to your Eyes.
From the first of all time, Until Time is undone, Forever and Ever and Ever and Ever.
For I am the Dawn, and the Sky, and The Sun. I am one with the one and I am the Dawn.


Celestia and Luna looked out from the atrium where they raised and lowered the Celestial bodies, looking at the red sun raised high in the sky. Nothing was said, Both knew what this was, what this meant. Luna dutifully lowered the moon, and Celestia mentally steeled herself.