• Published 25th Nov 2015
  • 4,276 Views, 82 Comments

Sunset Shimmer - Rainbow Dawn - Woomod



Sunset Shimmer struggles with her burgeoning rainbow powers while trying to reconnect to Equestria.

  • ...
19
 82
 4,276

Chapter 4 - To soar above the world

Sunset snorted, a riddle for an answer she had hated when her mother did that she wasn’t going to let some stranger do that. “What kind of answer is, ‘I’m not the one to answer that’?”

“An honest one. Fly with me Sunset.” The Pegasus said turning around and flying upwards without a second thought.

Sunset chased after the Pegasus. “Dang it, Don’t do that Answers in riddles Horse crap with me.”

“That is well then, I have no intention to answer you in riddles.” The Pegasus answered melodically as she continued their upward climb as they soared through the sky. “When you ask a simple question, you will get a simple answer.”

Sunset groaned in growing agitation she knew the type thought they were so wise and couched it in riddles so people wouldn’t figure it out. “I Kinda doubt it, but let’s try. Ok who are you?”

“I am called Graceful Blossom.” The Pegasus responded in the same calming soothing tone.

“Why are you here?” Sunset inquired.

“Because you need to understand.” Blossom said once more in her unchanging tone.

“Understand what?” Sunset asked, but no answer came. “UNDERSTAND WHAT?”

Blossom sighed in resignation, her tone changed for the first time since they had met. “What you already see.”


They continued to fly upwards to the music surrounding them, Sunset wasn’t sure why she kept following the Pegasus she gave another dumb riddle as an answer. Sunset put those things out of her mind, concentrating on her body as she flew, the wind on her face as they flew, feeling the taste of raindrops on her tongue each time they burst through the clouds. Feeling each flap of her flaming wings as if they were part of herself, ‘But they are part of me aren’t they?’ she thought to herself they were her magic even if it wasn’t her body it was her.

She turned her gaze to the ponies below going about their lives she wondered what they were doing, what their lives were like now, what friendships were being made and which were being strained. “They look so tiny from up here.” she stated idly.

“They are the same size as when you were on the ground.” Blossom said in her normal serene cheerful tone.

“How many answers did you just give me?” Sunset inquired.

“As many as there are layers to that question. Three, maybe four.” Blossom chuckled as she flapped her powerful wings and began a sharper upwards ascent.

Sunset thought for a few minutes, it felt constraining as her mind tried to keep up with and grasp what she already knew. “When you sound like you are talking in riddles you actually aren’t are you? You are just trying to give the simplest answer to questions that you can’t answer.”

Blossom flipped over flying backwards and smiled, Sunset took that as a yes.


Sunset and Blossom continued their ascent through the clouds. Sunset continued to take the beauty of the world unfolding in front of her, the sunny blue skies, the clouds that passed by, her mother’s sun in the sky. Sunset stopped for a moment, had she ever just stopped and appreciated the Sun? It was always a symbol of what she was trying to achieve, a symbol of her mother, yet it was her symbol too.

It took a few moments for blossom to notice Sunset had stopped, she turned around and flew back. “Appreciating the view?” She inquired.

Sunset lingered on the view before responding. “Yes, I waited a long time to do so, perhaps too long.”

“Ahhhh, I do hope the world is as beautiful for you to see as it is for me to hear.” The blind Pegasus nodded. “So what view so entraps you Sunset?”

“The Sun.” Sunset said a tone of slight awe in her voice, still taking in and contemplating it’s beauty.

“Appreciating a view that consumed your whole life? I thought you had come further than that.” Blossom giggled. “Or perhaps, you see something you didn’t see before?”

Sunset nodded her head, even if only for herself. “I’m appreciating the view of the sun. Not as a symbol, but as the Sun. That’s something I’ve never been able to do.”

Blossom said nothing, and they sat there for a few more moments as Sunset took in the view before they renewed their ascent and the music started towards a crescendo. Finally they breached the last clouds escaping the sky and entering into the celestial spheres of the aether, the realm of stars, moon and sun. Finally the music reached it’s crescendo and took a more subdued tone as they stayed there.

Luna’s stars in their positions, the sun burning nearby, and flat world of equus below them she could see it all. Sunset drank in the beautiful view of being above the world, she sucked her breath in at the realization of how literal that was, she was above the world. She was more powerful than all of Equestria. Now she finally did have nothing more important to do than contemplate what she had become, The power was just a side effect, a living testament to what she had become. This was the secret to being an Alicorn she could never have grasped writ large, the irony struck her having finally given up trying to equal her Mother she had become so much more than her.

“Is this what you wanted me to see?” Sunset asked in awe. “How far I’ve come?”

“Yes Sunset, Welcome to the waking world.” Blossom gave a disarming and sincere smile as she held out an open hoof.

“I Have so many questions….” Sunset said breathlessly as she reached for the Pegasus' hoof.

Blossom laughed again with that melodious laugh. “Yet, you already have all the answers you’ll ever need.”

For a long moment Sunset thought on those words, no words passed and only the music around them made any sound, then confidently Sunset grabbed blossom’s hoof. She had all the answers she would ever need.

Author's Note:

This was exhausting, writing a conversation between two mystics, about mysticism, that I felt people could follow. Exhausting and hard work, I hope you all enjoy it.