• Published 25th Nov 2015
  • 4,264 Views, 82 Comments

Sunset Shimmer - Rainbow Dawn - Woomod



Sunset Shimmer struggles with her burgeoning rainbow powers while trying to reconnect to Equestria.

  • ...
19
 82
 4,264

Prologue - A Beautiful Choice

Sunset walked down the podium smiling. Graduation had been everything she could have wanted, just earlier this year she would have clamored for the recognition she had gained but now. Recognition she was once more Queen bee of the school, but now it felt even better as herself then as well a raging she demon. Though it didn’t mean much with well graduating.

“Not going to brag Sunset?” Her rainbow haired friend asked her.

“I Think the acclaim and valedictorian status speak for themselves Dashie.” Sunset chuckled at her friend.

“So what now girls?” The purple haired fashionista spoke up. “I’ve got an apprenticeship in europe.”

“I’m gonna be working on the farm full time now.” Applejack spoke up.

“Yeah no one could have guessed that.” Rainbow snickered. “I’ve got a sports scholarship lined up, or three...but yeah no one could have guessed that either.”

“I’m going to be working at the cakes full time, or maybe i’m going to get a job at the school as an event planner, or maybe….” The pink one kept muffling as applejack covered her mouth.

“That’s great Pinkie. What about you?” She gave a meaningful look at Sunset. “You never talk about where you intend to go.”

“I...Don’t know.” Sunset shrugged. “I never think about it actually.”

“You could go to college with me, I mean with your grades you’d be a shoo in Sunset.” The lavender haired girl finally spoke up as she pushed her forefingers together. “I’d like that.” she added softly.

“I’ll…..think about it. I think I need to give it some serious thought.” Sunset said. “I’m gonna walk home today I think.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunset Shimmer smiled as she walked past the entrance to the school, head held high. Her life was great, she was popular, had great friends, Saved the world twice, and was Sunset Shimmer. She might not know where she was going but she knew she could go wherever she wanted.

“Where are you going?” A voice asked as she walked past the door.

Sunset shimmer turned to look at the voice, it belonged to a pink skinned girl with purple hair, the girl's eyes were closed but she was staring straight at her. “Home.” Sunset stated with a tone of factuality.

“Home? Really? Well home is a good place to be.” The girl smiled and nodded.

“Well yeah, I do it everyday.” Sunset looked at the girl, she swore she could hear music. “Do you never see me go home or something, contrary to certain rumors i do have a home.”

The Girl giggled at that comment.

“What’s so funny.” Sunset blinked for a moment and then looked at the girls closed eyes again. “Oh, you’re blind aren’t you.”

She nodded. “Well it’s good you have a home to go to, i haven’t been to mine in a very very long time.” The girl hopped down and began to walk away.

Sunset looked down and thought for a moment. “I’m sorry for you.”

“Don’t be, It was my choice.” She waved it off and kept walking.

“Weird….” Sunset said and sighed, turning to the the statue in front of canterlot high.



Sunset touched the cold stone of the statue, all it would take would be a single word to Princess Twilight and the book, her book, the representation of all her memories with Celestia, would tear apart the laws that Starswirl had seen in creating a stable portal and open the way home.

Her hands ran along the smooth stone. But then she would leave her friends, her home. Never able to compete with Rainbow Dash, never able to stand proud with Applejack, never able to laugh with Pinkie Pie, never able to go shopping with Rarity, never able to be comforted by Fluttershy.

But if she didn’t, she would always have this gnawing emptiness, that while this is her home she doesn’t truly belong. She belongs in another world altogether, with Princess Twilight, with….Celestia. Applejack once asked if she was scared to go back, maybe once but not now. She may not be who Celestia wanted, but she had taken her own path, forged her own destiny, and she knew Celestia would be proud of who she had become.

Twilight of course would remain her friend no matter what, no matter the world. But with Princess Twilight it was like having a friend you could only see online right now, and that had never been something she sought, it just wasn’t very...pony. So even if she chose home and family over friendship, she wouldn’t have no friends.

Her hands continued to run along the smooth surface of the portal. Twilight had friends too, friends so very much like her own, but she knew they weren’t the same, similar but not the same, and they were Twilight’s friends not hers, would it really be so easy to integrate herself into Twilight’s little group if that’s what she choose?

She suspected the choice would be easier if there was a counterpart for herself here, but there wasn’t, little differences. Her mother had never had children in this world, and so there was just her.

It was just her choice, Just as it had been her choice to come here in the first place, Earth or Equestria, there was no reasons to choose beyond her own.

So Sunset shimmer was faced with a choice, a beautiful choice, of one happy ending or another. But choice was just a fancy word for destiny, so It wasn’t really a choice at all, the choice was inevitable.

A beautiful choice indeed, she knew what she would choose, and smiled never looking back.