• Published 20th Nov 2015
  • 1,046 Views, 18 Comments

Weathering the Storm - ArchAngelsWings



A quiet neighborhood in Cloudsdale, home to a little yellow filly, her sick mother and her father who works long hours to provide for them. This filly's quiet, kind, and well behaved. The pride of any parent. Her life's gotta be perfect. Right?

  • ...
1
 18
 1,046

2 - Frittatas and Fashion

Chapter Two

Frittatas and Fashion

Fluttershy woke with the sun shining through the cracks in her curtains, and the quiet peacefulness of a new morning. She groggily rolled around in bed a little bit before finally getting up. She shuffled toward the bathroom from her room, and washed up for the day to come. As she made her way to the kitchen, she noticed her father half sprawled on the floor and half on the couch. ‘He never makes it to bed…’ She picked up a bottle off the ground, and quickly pitched it into the waste basket. Fluttershy grabbed the blanket from the armchair and threw it over him before heading back toward the kitchen. The soft snores coming from her mother’s room made her giggle even after the worries of last night. A couple mugs clinked as she went through the cupboard for coffee supplies, then she set a pot to brew then began planning breakfast. She yawned as she rummaged through the fridge, pulling out all of the ingredients she’d need to make a frittata. “Tomatoes, spinach, some onion and mushrooms… a little cheese and this is gonna be so good,” Fluttershy giggled to herself as she diced up her vegetables. She bustled about the kitchen blissfully unaware, until she heard a sleepy grumble from the kitchen doorway.

“How did I get so lucky to have an angel for a daughter? You’re this happy and productive in the morning, and I just want coffee…” Breezy stood there looking like the smallest thing could knock her over.

“Momma! You shouldn’t be out of bed!” Fluttershy crossed the distance between them as soon as she heard her mother speak.

“I’ll be okay little one. How about I sit down? Would that put you a little more at ease?” Fluttershy nodded vigorously.

“I’ll get whatever you want.” Fluttershy walked toward the counter and grabbed a mug, already knowing how her mother took her coffee. Breezy sat watching from her place at the table with a smile. Fluttershy walked over to the table, carefully carrying the hot drink. “Three sugars and just enough cream to make it light brown, exactly how you like it Momma.”

Breezy giggled, “Exactly how I like it.” She sipped her coffee and smiled. “So what’s for breakfast Chef Fluttershy?”

“I’m not a chef Momma, I just follow the recipes you gave me. You’re so silly.” Fluttershy checked that the pan on the stove was hot enough to add the vegetables. “I am working on a vegetable frittata though, maybe a little cantaloupe on the side too…” She stood fixating on the fridge for a moment. She found the covered bowl of melon chunks and set it aside. The butter in the pan melted and she tossed the vegetables in, humming as she did so.

“I dunno… I’ve never liked those recipes as much as when you make them ya know.” Breezy sipped her coffee slowly. “Any plans for today?”

Fluttershy continued making breakfast but replied anyway, “Just to help you with the dresses some more, I guess. Did you need anything else done?”

“I think that’s about everything I had planned for today, it should take most of the morning and a little of the afternoon.” Breezy took a long sip of her coffee and looked at the ceiling tiles pensively. Fluttershy nodded and turned back to the veggies sauteing in the pan on the stove, she gave a quick stir to keep everything evenly cooked. She turned from pouring the eggs into the pan when she heard a second voice enter the small kitchen.

“That smells good,” Stormy Skies half grumbled, as he shuffled into the kitchen and took the seat across from Breezy. He rested his forehead on the cool lacquered wood of the table and let out a sigh. Fluttershy pulled another mug from the cabinet, counted out ten spoonfuls of sugar, poured the coffee and added milk until it barely resembled coffee anymore. She took the mug and gently placed it next to Stormy at the table.

“Papa, drink this. Okay?” She placed a kiss on his cheek quickly and went back to tending to the fritata. He grunted and scooted the mug over to his lips and sipped at it like it was the best thing in the world. Breezy sat watching the simple exchange and smiled to herself. Fluttershy heard her father’s slurps as she finished making breakfast. She slipped the frittata onto a serving plate, sliced it into equal portions and sprinkled cheese over it. Breezy got up from the table and gathered place setting for each of them, and only smiled when her daughter’s face looked at her with disapproval apparent. Breezy nudged Stormy so she could set his plate in front of him and he gripped his mug protectively.

“A fresh veggie frittata and some cantaloupe,” Fluttershy answered the silent question from her father’s gaze, as she set the dishes down at the table. She served everyone and then finally took a seat between her parents and tucked into her plate.

“Definitely a chef,” Breezy said in between bites of breakfast. Stormy nodded with a grunt of concurrence and continued eating without looking up from his plate. Fluttershy smiled and poked at her food a little. “What’s wrong little one?”

“Nothing, Momma.” Fluttershy ate the rest of her breakfast, and cleared the table when everyone had finished. “I’ll pack you a lunch for work today Papa.” Stormy looked at her and then to his empty mug and back again, “But after I make you another cup of coffee.” He surrendered his mug and she filled it with more coffee flavored sugar milk for him. Breezy had started on the dishes, and laughed to herself listening to them. Stormy slinked out of the kitchen, mug in hoof, with there being nothing left to hold his attention at the moment. “Momma you should get back to bed, you’ve done plenty more than you should have,” Fluttershy nudged her mother’s flank gently.

“Alright alright. I’ll go start working on the dresses again.” Breezy placed a kiss on her daughter’s forehead and headed out of the kitchen. She stopped in the doorway. “I love you, little one.”

“I love you too, Momma.” She ran over and hugged her mother, before going to finish up the dishes and pack her father’s lunch. She reheated some of the leftover stew from the night prior and filled a thermos with it. She rummaged through the kitchen a bit and found some crackers and some cinnamon apple chips to go with it, and packed those away in a sack with the thermos. Fluttershy took the sack out to her father who was finishing up his coffee. “Here’s your lunch for work Papa.” She placed it on the side table and hugged him quickly. “I’m gonna go help Momma now, b-but I hope you have a good day at work.” She took a few steps back and looked at him with a small smile, her eyes pleaded with him a little, wanting something more from him than his usual distance.

Stormy grunted, “Thanks kid,” and with that he grabbed the sack, pushed past Fluttershy and headed out the door. The fragile smile on her face fell and she shuffled to her mother’s room. She could hear her mother humming happily on the other side of the door, and she took a breath and her smiled reappeared on her face once more before pushing the door open.

“There you are my darling,” Breezy said from behind a pair of bedazzled spectacles, as she gingerly hoof-stitched a ribbon rosette to the waist of the dress she was working on. Her tongue poked out of the corner of her mouth while she finished up, and Fluttershy giggled. After making sure it was on securely, she looked at her daughter. “What’s so funny missy?” She put her hooves on her hips in mock anger.

“You are Momma,” she laughed and replicated the face her mother made. Breezy smiled and laughed at herself too. She patted the spot next to her, and Fluttershy happily sat there and watched as her mother stitched things in place impeccably. They sat like this for hours, occasionally trying on the dresses to make sure everything fit properly. Fluttershy took in every little detail her mother showed her and committed it to memory. After hours and hours of toiling, they finished their project and beamed at each other. “You’re so amazing, Momma!” Fluttershy hugged her mother and admired her handiwork. “They’re prettier than anything you could buy at a shop in Canterlot or Manehattan!”

“I’m glad you like them so much, sweetheart.” Breezy smiled down at her daughter. She looked at the clock on the nightstand. Fluttershy’s eyes followed her mother’s.

“Ohmygoodness! I’m gonna go make something quick for lunch. We gotta keep your strength up or you’re never gonna get better!” Fluttershy dashed out of the room and almost tripped over her own hooves on her way to the kitchen. Breezy sat in bed and looked after her daughter.

“Or I’ll never get better…” Breezy said under her breath and wiped the tears from her eyes. She fumbled with a piece of ribbon and tried to keep a straight face on in case Fluttershy came back before she finished making food. She scribbled something down on a notecard and tucked it into the nightstand drawer. Fluttershy came back with a tray of grilled cheese sandwiches and bowls of tomato soup after a few minutes, and Breezy’s eyes were dry. “That looks delicious Fluttershy.” She smiled as her daughter set up their plates.

“I’m sorry it’s so plain Momma, I just wanted to get you something to eat quickly was all.” She looked into her bowl of soup and bit her lower lip.

“Sometimes the simple things are the best things.” Breezy ruffled her daughter’s mane, and smiled as she took her first bite of the grilled cheese sandwich. They sat in silence as they ate together. Fluttershy cleared the dishes after they finished and returned to her mother’s side. “You know that you don’t have to be with me all the time darling. I’m the grown-up here ya know.” Breezy laughed softly.

“I know… but I worry about you Momma.” Fluttershy’s eyes got big and her lip quivered a little. Breezy put her hoof under Fluttershy’s chin and looked into her eyes.

“I will be okay, everything will be okay, you’ll be okay too.” She smiled her biggest smile. “Why don’t you run along and enjoy yourself while I tidy up in here?” She got out of bed and scooted her daughter toward the door.

“Ummm… Okay Momma. I’ll go practice my crocheting, maybe I can make something to go with our dresses…” Breezy could see the gears turning in Fluttershy’s head as she thought about her new project and smiled. Fluttershy took one last apprehensive look at her mother and then headed toward her room for the rest of the afternoon. Breezy scribbled a letter out, tucked it into a stamped envelope and made her way to the mailbox just in time for the post pony to take it with him. She smiled and waved as he flew off.

‘As much as I can before I can’t anymore.’ She smiled wistfully and made her way back inside without Fluttershy noticing she’d ever left her room.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the super long wait! :ajsleepy: I don't write as regularly as some people... :raritycry: I shall also apologize for how short the chapter is. Eh heh heh... :twilightsheepish:

Comments ( 5 )

Wow I really want to learn more about Breezy. It was a nice chapter (worth the wait) ^^

6952365 I'm super happy you liked it! :raritystarry: I was worried people would be upset with the hints of sad thrown in there... :fluttercry:

6962137 Well unfortunatly we already know her fate so the sad is bound to happen ^^'

Login or register to comment