• Published 4th Jun 2012
  • 28,317 Views, 2,511 Comments

Rainbooms and Royalty - Trinary



Alternate Universe: Filly Rainbow Dash has just performed her Sonic Rainboom when she gets a visitor

  • ...
61
 2,511
 28,317

The Comfort of Friends

& & &

“Rainbow Dash! Hey, Rainbow Dash!” No sooner had the pegasus in question returned to town than she had found herself being tackled to ground by a certain pink ball of energy and sweets. “Where’ve you been Rainbow? We can’t have a party without you!”

Grunting as she fought to get Pinkie off her, Rainbow retorted. “Sheesh Pinkie! I just had—ung—to talk to…somepony.” She finally got back to her hooves and shook the dust off her coat. Looking around, she saw Applejack, Rarity, Twilight and Fluttershy were with Pinkie. “What’s up?”

“Just wondering what’s up with you.” Applejack said. “You okay sugarcube?”

Rainbow was confused. “Yeah! Why wouldn’t I be?”

Twilight shifted uncomfortably. “Well, it’s just that you’ve been through a lot lately and when you left the party…we were worried about you.” She added shyly.

Rainbow Dash smiled. Normally such sappy displays would’ve prompted her to role her eyes or make a face but…she kinda liked it. “It’s cool. Thanks everypony.”

“We just want to make sure that you’re okay.” Fluttershy smiled gently out from behind her mane. “You’re our friend.”

“Best friends forever.” Rarity agreed, her eyes twinkling. “To think, we all got our Cutie Marks after seeing your Sonic Rainboom!”

Giving a small but cocky grin, Rainbow winked. “Yeah, I’m just that awesome.”

“Careful, yer head might get so big it’ll go floating away.” AJ nudged her, chuckling. “So what’s next?”

“Um, next? What do you mean?”

“Well,” Applejack tilted her hat back. “You came to Ponyville because you were having some sort of trouble with the Princess and bein’ compared to her. Now you’ve gone and helped save the world! Ah reckon that means yer troubles are over, right?” Rainbow’s shoulders slumped. “…oh.” AJ grimaced.

Fluttershy gasped, holding her hooves to her mouth. “Oh my goodness, what happened?”

Groaning, Rainbow Dash put a hoof on her face. “Celestia and I—I just wanted to talk to her about why she didn’t tell me about any of this Nightmare Moon stuff and well…we started fighting. *I* started fighting.”

Twilight felt her jaw drop open. “You had a fight with Princess Celestia?!” She exclaimed.

“Hey, it’s not like it’s illegal to have an argument with her or anything!” Rainbow defended herself hastily. “I wanted to find out what she wouldn’t tell me about Nightmare Moon until five minutes before she showed up!”

“What did she tell you?” Applejack asked Rainbow Dash curiously.

Sighing deeply, Rainbow Dash told them everything. That Celestia had known about the Sonic Rainboom, the connection it formed between the six of them, the return of Nightmare Moon, the reasons Celestia hadn’t confronted her directly, and the steps Celestia had taken to make sure that Rainbow Dash would be ready and able to handle it and the ensuing fight between the two of them.

Five sets of wide eyes met Rainbow Dash’s own as she finished.

“Gracious!” Rarity held a hoof to her cheek. “Such a terrible rift to have come between you two!”

Fluttershy gave Rainbow Dash a comforting nuzzle as Pinkie Pie pounced her from behind and wrapped her up in a great big hug. “Are you okay?”

Applejack gave the pegasus a sympathetic look. “Aw shoot Rainbow, ah can understand why yer so upset. Ah know ah hate it when ponies keep the truth from me.” She nudged Rainbow Dash. “Ah expect that’s why ah was so cross when you didn’t tell us you were the Princess’ student.”

She shook her head. “C’mon AJ, that was totally different!” Dash protested. “This was—this was huge!”

“Ah know, ah know.” The cowpony said, placating her.. “Mah point is that while it hurts when ponies don't tell you the truth, ah don’t think you should let that get in the way of yer relationship with the princess. Ain’t nothing more important than family you know and the princess is a part of yours.”

“Aren’t families supposed to trust each other?” Rainbow retorted. “She didn’t trust me! And I don’t know if I can trust her now and…and everything’s ruined.” She said mournfully.

AJ put a hoof on her shoulder. “Dash…”

The blue pony bit her lip. “Why couldn’t she trust me? Is—is it something I did? Is it something I said? Was I just not…good enough?” She blinked rapidly, her eyes moist. “Is there something wrong with me?” Regardless of her reasons, Celestia’s decision not to trust Rainbow Dash with the information of Nightmare Moon’s return was interpreted as a lack of trust and a lack of faith. The idea that the pony who literally took Rainbow under her wing didn’t have faith in her, hurt. It chipped away at her own feeling of self-worth and left the pegasus feeling very vulnerable. On the eve of her greatest triumph, she felt miserable because the one pony whose opinion she had valued the most had not seen fit to trust her.

“Aww…Dashie.” Pinkie bit her lip as Fluttershy made to rest her head on Rainbow’s shoulder.

“Sugarcube.” Applejack had a pained look on her face. “Don’t you ever be thinking that.”

Twilight hesitated before hazarding an answer. “Rainbow Dash I—I don’t know why the Princess did everything she did. But…maybe she wanted you to seek us out and become friends with us on your own? I mean, if the Princess had come up to me and said that I had to meet some friends as some kind of order, I probably would’ve maybe resented it a little.” She admitted sheepishly. “And whoever I was meeting, I guess. I mean, you can’t become friends just because somepony told you to. It was meeting each other and going through everything we experienced together that made us all friends.” She smiled at her gently. “It was all of us—being friends—that stopped Nightmare Moon in the end. You did that yourself, bringing us all together. Nopony and nothing forced us to be friends with you, not a royal order or a magical artifact: just you.”

“R-really?” Rainbow squeaked.

Twilight nodded. “Princess Celestia might’ve guided us and helped make sure we were in the right place at the right time, but everything after that…that was just US. We made the choices, we became friends and we stopped Nightmare Moon. Nopony else did that, not even Princess Celestia.”

Rainbow Dash smiled, feeling buoyed. Pinkie Pie rubbed her chin with her hoof. “Hmmmm.”

“What’re you thinking Pinkie dear?” Rarity asked.

“I was just thinking about the platypus. I mean those things are so weird! It’s like somepony just randomly tossed a bunch of random parts from different animals together to create an all new seriously WEIRD creature. I was wondering if the presence of platypus—or is it platypi?—can be used to predict the downfall of order and the rise of chaos.” Pinkie asked, her lip jutting out as she pondered.

Rainbow Dash just looked at the pink earth pony. “I DARE you to make less sense.”

Grinning patronizingly, Pinkie gently mussed Rainbow’s mane. “Silly Dashie! Of course I make sense! I make sense all the time and sometimes I even think deep, deep, deeeeep deep deep thoughts! Thoughts so deep I need a shovel to get to the bottom of them! Like whether or not free will is an illusion, why Jimmy cracks corn if nopony cares, is Michael Bay worse than Joe Horshoemaker and where on Earth IS Carmen Sandiego? And I’ve thought a lot about you and the Princess Dashie, so let your Aunt Pinkie explain!”

“But you’re not—” It was too late, Pinkie was on a roll.

“The thing is Dashie that just because somepony you love doesn’t tell you something doesn’t mean that they don’t trust you! It’s like how a mommy pony doesn’t tell her daughter where filly’s REALLY come from because she isn’t ready to know and then the filly spends the entire night waiting in the cabbage patch looking for Mr. Stork!”

“Um—Pinkie?”

“Oooh! Or how parents don’t want their foals to know when one of them isn’t feeling well because they don’t want you to feel sad and worried but then you find out and then you throw them a big party with lots and lots of ice cream and cake—and then they tell you that daddy wasn’t feeling well because of all the cake he ate at the LAST party you threw the day before....”

“Pinkie Pie…”

“…and how sometimes feeding zed-neutrino rays through a tesla coil into the event horizon of a temporal quantum singularity can be used to rewrite the fabric of space and time so it can interact with a tesseract field in order to power the flux capacitor to make blueberry jam…”

“PINKIE PIE!” Rainbow shouted, finally getting her attention and—more importantly—her silence. She panted. “Can we not…talk about this…for a bit?”

“Okay!” Pinkie smiled and gave a little nod. “So whooo wants to have some fun? Tag your it!” She beeped Rainbow’s snout playfully. “Try and catch me slowpoke!”

Rainbow Dash bared a fierce, competitive grin more akin to that of a shark. “Oh you did NOT just say that!” She zoomed off after the giggling pink blur, soon accompanied by the rest of her friends as they ran off, laughing like they were always meant to be together.

Watching the six ponies as they ran and played in the crispness of the night, illuminated only by moonlight and the twinkling of fireflies, stood Princess Celestia. A sad, proud smile graced her muzzle as she watched her student and her friends. Much as Rainbow Dash had sought advice and comfort from her friends, so too had Princess Celestia. At her feet rested a reminder of the aid and wisdom Celestia had received from one of her ponies.

It was a muffin.

& & &