• Published 4th Jun 2012
  • 28,318 Views, 2,511 Comments

Rainbooms and Royalty - Trinary



Alternate Universe: Filly Rainbow Dash has just performed her Sonic Rainboom when she gets a visitor

  • ...
61
 2,511
 28,318

Clash of Magics

&&&

Shining Armor had been twisted by Nightmare Moon’s magic, like Ditzy Doo and the pegasi guards. Even his hair and coat color was different. Everything was darker, duller. If Ditzy Doo was a Shadowbolt, Shining Armor had become a dark knight. Blackened Armor.

His face was adorned with a cruel leer. “When my Mistress realized that she had company and dispatched me hence, I didn’t dare imagine that I would run into you.”

“Shining Armor…” Twilight reared and started to gallop towards him only to have Rainbow Dash suddenly interpose herself between them, pushing Twilight back.

“Twilight don’t! It might look like Shining, but it’s not him!” She warned.

The lavender unicorn struggled, but Dash was stronger than she was. “B-but that’s my brother! Rainbow let go! Let me go!”

“No it isn’t!” Rainbow insisted. “Trust me!”

“Clever girl. So you CAN learn.” Blackened Armor mused. “As much as I’d love to catch up with my baby sister and my ‘iddle Dashie.” He taunted cruelly. “I’m afraid I’m going to have to cut this short.” A wicked, sickly looking light over took his horn and seven spheres engulfed each of the travelers. “My Mistress will be coming and look…here you are: all wrapped up and ready for her.”

Rainbow Dash hurled herself at the edge of her bubble. There was a faint, echoing sound made upon impact but not so much as a crack appeared. “Shiny I know you’re in there somewhere! You have to fight it!”

He shook his head, chuckling. “Aww, Dash, Dash, Dash…you never give up do you? You tried that on the Shadowbolt who used to be Ditzy Doo. Do you really think it would work any better here?” He gave her a knowing smirk. “Or were you counting on the magic of ‘looove’ to make the difference?”

The trapped pegasus flared her wings, as if wishing she could fly away to escape this situation. No such luck. “S-shining…”

Blackened Armor put on affected look of contrition. “Oh, I’m sorry, did you think you were being subtle? That Shining Armor didn’t know?” He chortled, dropping the thin pretense of sympathy. “I can see all of his thoughts…Shining Armor knew about your crush the entire time. He thought it was ‘cute.’ Half of Canterlot knew! It was one of the biggest jokes in the city.”

There was a thudding noise in Rainbow’s ears that she took a moment to realize was the sound of her own heart and of the blood rushing through her veins. She found herself short of breath, as if she had flown too high and the air was thin.

Her tormentor, her foalhood crush, her captor, her friend…whoever he was, he pressed his face in close to the sphere holding her captive. “Of course he never thought about you like that. Not even close. You see…he’s taken. By somepony a lot more important and let’s face it, better than you. One who isn’t constantly mistaken for a colt.”

“Shining—whoever you are—stop it!” Twilight implored, seeing the distress on Rainbow Dash’s face. “Leave her alone!”

He ignored her. “Did you think he didn’t notice you watching him all those times you thought you were being clever? Like during his morning calisthenics, for instance? Watching him work out? Or that time you ‘accidentally’ wound up in the guard’s shower when he was in?” He rolled his eyes. “You might as well have written it over Canterlot in cloud writing. Ironic, really. He knew your secret for years, but thought it was funnier to never let on. But you never could figure out just how completely out of your league he was.” Blackened Armor whinnied in amusement as Rainbow shrunk in on herself, trying to disappear.

“Rainbow…” Twilight reached out a hoof, trying to comfort her, only to be blocked by Blackened Armor’s magic sphere.

Fluttershy whispered softly from her place next to Dash’s sphere. “Don’t listen to him Rainbow, you know that’s not Shining Armor.”

The entrapped pegasus took a breath, trying to steady herself. “I-I know that. I know that.” She closed her eyes.
Blackened Armor sauntered around Dash’s sphere like a predator on the prowl. “Shining Armor always thought of you as an egotistic, overgrown filly.” He said conversationally. “In his mind, you were barely out of diapers. Shining Armor would never look at you the way you look at him. It’s sad really.”

“S-shut up.” Rainbow shuddered as if struck by body blows. “You’re not Shining Armor…y-you’re not.”

Blackened Armor tilted his head. “You wound me ‘Dashie,’” his smile took on a cruel tone. “I’m trying to help you. No need to spend the rest of your life pining away until you're an old gray mare. Even if he is the only stallion that you’ve ever had feelings for. Even if he’s the only one who made you feel safe, the one who made you feel secure and strong. But he never cared about you. Not really. He would’ve felt the same for anypony who Celestia had for a student.” He laughed—no, he brayed. Long and loud.

She shut her eyes, shaking her head. Her friends saw her pain and were enraged by it. “You brute!” Rarity spat as Pinkie stuck out her tongue at him.

“Big meanie!” She pronounced.

“Y’all leave her alone!” Applejack snarled, bucking at the sphere. “Dash, that ain’t yer friend! And when ah git outta here ah’m gonna buck the evil clear outta his hide!”

Twilight twitched “That’s enough!” she huffed silently. “I said that’s ENOUGH!” Her horn lit up with a bright burst that shattered Blackened Armor’s magical spheres. Seven equines landed hard on their hooves. Rainbow Dash buckled and fell to her knees.

“RD!” Applejack and Fluttershy knelt down on either side of her. “You okay sugarcube?” Dash’s flanks shuddered as she fought to keep her composure.

Twilight meanwhile was rapidly losing hers. “I don’t know who you are but you are NOT my brother! That is not how Shining Armor acts or even thinks! You’re a lying…caricature! And I’m going to get my REAL brother back.” Her horn shimmered.
Her friends ran up to join her at her side. “Stand back!” Twilight shouted. “His magic is too strong.” She lowered her horn. “I got this.”

“I’m petrified.” Blackened Armor deadpanned as a ball of magic grew out of the tip of his horn. “I always was the better spellcaster.” A magical blast erupted towards them, crackling and surging.

“That’s right…” Twilight agreed slowly, tilting her horn into the ball’s path. His magic bounced off, deflected harmlessly away. “You WERE the best!” she pronounced.

Blackened Armor narrowed his eyes, focusing his magic more. “Not bad…but not good enough!” A blackened magical stream of energy spewed from his horn only to be met halfway by a lavender stream from Twilight’s own horn as the two magical titans clashed.

The dark stallion took a step forward, forcing Twilight back. Her hooves dug furrows in the ground as she resisted, focusing with all her might. “You might as well give up now…want to know a secret?” He winked roguishly. “I know what Shining Armor knows—and he always won these little magical tests of strength.”

She grunted. “You…keep reminding us…you’re NOT Shining Armor!” Twilight felt her knees wobble as she fought to stand tall. “And I have….a secret…of my own!”

“And what would that be?” Blackened Armor yawned.

Everypony watched in silent awe as Twilight struggled up, standing tall with her eyes sparkling with magic. “I’ve been holding back!” She shouted. Her magic stream doubled in thickness and strength, this time forcing Blackened Armor on the defensive, pushing him back.

“You can do it Twi!” Applejack cheered.

“Two. Four. Six. Eight—whose magic is really great? Twilight! Twilight! Yaaay Twilight!” Pinkie hollered, hopping up and down.

Rainbow Dash looked on in amazement. Shining Armor was the most powerful unicorn she knew…and Twilight was pushing him back. “Whoa.” She whispered, her eyes wide.

Twilight snorted challengingly at her brother and the thing using his body. “Do you know what it was like growing up?” She gritted her teeth. “I felt like I lived in a world made of cardboard. Always taking constant care not to break something…to break somepony.” She planted her hoof down, crunching the dirt beneath her. “Never allowing myself to lose control, even for a moment, or somepony could get hurt.” She set another hoof forward as her eyes glinted dangerously. “But you can take it, can't you, big guy?”

Blackened Armor grunted and strained, finding it harder to match her magical strength.

“So…” Twilight went on. “What we have here is a rare opportunity for me to cut loose, and show you just how powerful I really am!” She gave another little burst of magic, that completely overpowered Blackened’s own. Her magic traveled through his own and back to his horn, causing feedback that knocked him off his hooves and into a tree.
The stunned minion of darkness picked himself off the ground and looked up at Twilight Sparkle with a cross of awe and fear.

The determined lavender unicorn strode towards him with purpose. The downed stallion fired off several bursts of energy that pinged harmlessly off Twilight’s shields or were brushed aside with casual ease. “Y-you can’t do this to me!” He panted, fear in his eyes. “I’m your brother!”

“No you’re not!!!” Twilight shouted angrily, panting heavily as she stood over him. “You—you’re a PARASITE wearing my brother’s skin! And I.” Her horn flashed, pulsing with energy. “Want.” She stomped her hoof. “Him.” Her face was twisted in a snarl as her eyes narrowed, turning brighter with white magic. “BACK!”

Concerned, Rainbow Dash started forward before being held back by Applejack and Zecora. “Twilight—wait!”

It was too late. Her magic washed over Blackened Armor like a tidal wave as he screamed. “NOOOO!” He was blasted back against the tree, propped with his limbs forced apart. The dark minion thrashed and screamed but Twilight pressed herself closer and closer. Soon the tip of her horn gently tapped her brother’s and sparks flew. A bright white light flashed, tinting Twilight’s lavender magic pure white.

Like a layer of paint being scraped aside, the darkness inhabiting Shining Armor was peeled away. Bit by bit, his white coat and multistriped blue mane was revealed. His gold-rimmed light purple armor reasserted itself as his dark, nightmarish one shifted.

Then with one last concentrated burst Twilight stripped the dark shadow that stubbornly clung to her brother and separated it from him. With a piercing shriek the black shade writhed in the bright white light and disintegrated.

There was a burst of light that forced everypony’s eyes closed. Then when they opened them, blinking. They saw Shining Armor woozily swaying on his hooves. His eyes—once amber yellow—were back to their normal blues. “H-hey Twiley.” He smiled weakly right before his eyes rolled up and he fell on his side, completely unconscious.

“Shining Armor! Twilight!” Rainbow Dash broke free and rushed over to them. “Are you okay? Is he--?”

Twilight, her mane and fur slightly singed but otherwise normal, swayed a bit, clearly dizzy. She giggled. “Heehee y-yeah sure. He’s fine—we’re both fine!” She smiled giddily.

Rainbow looked skeptical. “Um, are you sure?” She tilted her head to try to look Twilight in the eyes.

“Heeyup! Whoo—sorry!” She smiled goofily. “Just a bit of a magical high…haven’t really cut loose like that in a looong time! Kinda felt good!” She hugged herself. “Shining Armor is just exhausted…he’ll be fine. And back to normal too.”

Rainbow Dash sighed in relief. “That’s great to hear.” She started to say something about how incredibly epically amazing her magic was but even those words seemed inadequate. Their was an awkward silence as they waited for the others to join them.

“Would you believe…we never had…a single fight? Twilight half-panted, half-giggled.

Rainbow Dash thought about. “…no.” she said.

“Y-yeah, me neither.” Twilight giggled, still coming down from her magic rush. “Funny thing…Shining and my parents encouraged me to talk to counselors and therapists. T-they said I was pretty buttoned up and had issues with repression.”

“Ahuh.” Rainbow nodded, not really sure of what else to say. “And?”

“I guess I’m not s-so repressed anymore!” Twilight burst out into a fresh round of giggles.

Rainbow shook her head, unable to do anything else but join her in laughing. After about a half minute of stress relief, Twilight nudged her friend. “You know…that thing controlling Shining Armor? It was lying. He—”

“I know.” Dash’s shoulders sank. “I know.”

But Twilight didn’t stop. “Shining Armor really does care about you, for you. He talks about you a lot at home, about how brave and confidant and amazing you are. Some new prank or stunt you pulled is always part of dinner conversation at least once a week.” She gave Rainbow a neck hug, resting her neck across the blue pegasus’ own. “Whenever he tried to encourage me to go out and have more faith in myself, he always told me to ask myself ‘what would Rainbow Dash do?’”

That made the cocky pegasus smile. “Funny.” Rainbow said. “He always told me a lot about you too. About how smart and clever and nice and stuff you were. He was always real proud of you, telling me to try to take a page out of your book and think before I act.”

“I guess he figured we would make a good team.” Twilight said wryly.

“Yeah…but not the best.” Dash turned to nod at the rest of their friends, who decided to keep a respectful distance to let the two talk. At her nod, they started coming closer just in time to hear Rainbow Dash say, “All of us together? Now THAT’S the best team ever.”

Applejack smiled. “You bet your rainbowed backside it is!” She stuck a hoof out. Rainbow reached out with one of her own. Then Twilight put her hoof on top of theirs.

“Together.”

“ForEVER!” Pinkie Pie agreed as she stuck her own in.

Rarity nodded, elegantly outstretching her own hoof to join the others. “Indubitably.”

Fluttershy smiled shyly and stuck her hoof in. “Friends?”

The six mares shouted together. “FRIENDS!”

“Forever!” Pinkie said again, only to be echoed by the others. They looked expectantly at Zecora who, for the first time, seemed genuinely stunned, and touched. “Come Zecora! Always room for one more!” The pink pony giggled.

“We wouldn’t have made it this far without you.” Twilight said gratefully, a small smile on her face. “Friends?”

Zecora tilted her head down and flicked her hood up, shrouding her face in darkness. “I am most honored and grateful as well. To count me as a friend would make my heart swell. But, I’m afraid I must say neigh. My role is your guide, that is the part I must play—and the price I will pay.”

“What’re you—” Rainbow Dash started before her ears perked up at a sound on wings flapping on the wind. “Incoming!”

Everypony looked up just in time to see three dark pony shapes swooping down towards them on bat-like wings. “Shadowbolts!” Rainbow cried in warning as she pushed the ponies closest to her—Twilight and Fluttershy—down to the ground. Zecora and Applejack, reacting quickly, did the same with Pinkie Pie and Rarity, respectively.

The three dark pegasi of Nightmare Moon flew by, passing overhead by less than a foot. But they weren’t the target. Two of the Shadowbolts slowed down and hauled up the unconscious Shining Armor by his hooves.

“Shining Armor!” Twilight scrambled to her hooves, her horn a glow. “I’m not losing him again!” But the third Shadowbolt struck her from the side in an ambush, knocking the stunned unicorn over. Reaching into her flight suit, the dark mare grabbed something small and tossed it at the others. Upon impacting on the ground a burst of smoke was released, causing the others to sink to their knees coughing and covering their eyes.

Meanwhile, the other two had made off with Shining Armor. Rainbow Dash flexed her wings, only to find them suddenly bound by a pair of bolas thrown by the Shadowbolt captain. “Grrrrr!” Dash growled as she tried to shake them off. Glowering at the pony who used to be Ditzy Doo, she snarled. “What do you want?!”

“Oh we have what we came for.” She said evenly, a cruel smile upon her muzzle. “Now here’s what you’re going to do. If you ever want to see your precious boy-toy again, you’re going to lie down and surrender."

“No way!” Rainbow Dash stood tall, her wings snapping the bola rope as she flexed them. “THIS is what I’m gonna do! I’m gonna rescue him! I’m gonna save Shining Armor, you three, and all of Equestria and then, just to finish off, I’m going to buck Nightmare Moon right back to the moon!” She snarled.

“You?” The Shadowbolt sneered. “You cannot stop Nightmare Moon! You have no weapons, no defenses—no plan!”

Rainbow snorted. “You’re not Ditzy Doo…but I know you have her memories.” She snarled. “Go ahead and take a look! You’ll find I do my best work on the fly, improvising as I go! Don’t believe me? See for yourself!”

The spawn of Nightmare Moon looked inside the poor mare that was transformed into the leader of the Shadowbolts. For a second, her glowing golden eyes wavered with fear as she looked into Ditzy’s memory and Dash’s determined eyes.

“Scared yet?” Rainbow Dash asked. “You should be.”

& & &