• Published 19th Nov 2015
  • 4,359 Views, 51 Comments

Free Falling - Scquishiey



Rainbow Dash goes out for an afternoon flight. Things don't go very swimmingly–or do they?

  • ...
5
 51
 4,359

Chapter 4. My Heart Shrinking

Rainbow Dash awoke in a daze, not sure what was going on or where she was.

“Am I dead?” She whispered, her eyes barely open. She felt groggy and confused.

“Heh, far from it.” Said a voice

Rainbow Dash’s ears shot up and she rubbed her eyes with both fore hooves trying to clear her vision.

“Glad to see you’re awake.” Said the same voice.

When Rainbow Dash finally got enough of the haziness out of her eyes, she looked over to see that Soarin was right in front of her with a sweet smile upon his face.

Soarin seemed as if he were emitting an angelic glow, and Rainbow Dash felt like she found the light at the end of a dark tunnel when she stared at him.

“S-Soarin?” Rainbow Dash stuttered.

“The one and only.” He flashed a cheeky grin.

“Ugh, what happened?” Asked a very tired Rainbow Dash rubbing her forehead.

“You blacked out.” Soarin replied.

“Oh.” Was all Rainbow Dash could say. She looked around from where she was and realized that she was on her couch in her living room.

“How’d we end up at my place?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Heh, I had to carry you here through the storm. The lightning sure took a toll on you, especially your wing.” Soarin replied and pointed a fore hoof at her left wing.

“My–my wing!” Rainbow Dash sat up and looked at her damaged wing covered in gauze. She also noticed that her stomach was also wrapped in gauze and different areas of her body had adhesive bandages stuck all over.

“Whoa, calm down, you’re fine, you’re lucky it was only a small streak of lightning that hit yah.” Soarin reassured her. “Just give it time.”

Great. Rainbow Dash thought. She was grounded for who knows how long. Well, her house was in the sky so she technically wasn't grounded, but still, she hated not being able to fly.

“Oh…” Rainbow Dash said quietly still looking at her damaged wing.

Soarin trotted up to her and sat down on the same couch that Rainbow Dash was laying down on.

“Th-Thanks.” Rainbow Dash said quietly, but loud enough for him to hear.

“Hey, no prob.” Soarin said with a slight smile.

Rainbow Dash looked over at Soarin, staring at him intently. His fur and mane were still damp from the rain, but it looked like he probably dried himself off a bit when they got to her house. She looked down at her own fur, she too, was also damp, but not very much, did Soarin help dry her off? She started to feel a slight warmth creep up on her face while she was staring at him again.

Ugh, what’s wrong with me? Rainbow Dash asked herself in her internal monologue.

She couldn't stop staring at the stallion who sat across from where she was laying down. He risked his own life out in that crazy storm just to save her life and carried her all the way back to her house in Ponyville.

Soarin was staring straight across the room, mindlessly humming a tune while swinging his legs while he was sitting down next to Rainbow Dash.

Soarin glanced over at Rainbow Dash and noticed her bright, red face.

“Hey Rainbow Dash, are you okay? It looks like you might have a fever.” Soarin asked with concern in his voice.

Rainbow Dash’s ears perked up as she made a wry expression. “Oh, uh, no! I’m fine.” Rainbow Dash wanted to smack herself. Come on Rainbow Dash, what’s wrong with you? She asked herself.

“I’ll go make us some hot cocoa!” Soarin said happily as he got up from his spot on the couch and trotted to her kitchen.

Rainbow Dash’s eyes followed him until he disappeared into the next room.

A few moments later Soarin came trotting back into the living room with two cups of hot chocolate being held in each wing. He set both down onto the coffee table in front of Rainbow Dash.

“Here yah go!” Soarin said happily.

“Heh, thanks.” Rainbow Dash said. She then sat up starting to feel much better than before and grabbed her cup and blew the steam away before taking a sip.

“Ahhh…” Rainbow Dash let out a contented sigh after she was done gently sipping her chocolatey drink.

Soarin, on the other hoof, started chugging down his cup of cocoa, and let out a long, loud, manly sigh before setting the cup down onto the table with a loud thud after he was finished.

“Ahhh that hit the spot!” Soarin said and proceeded to lick his frothy chocolate mustache strewn on his upper lip.

Rainbow Dash couldn’t help but suppress a giggle as she watched him. He was so goofy and full of life–just like her. She realized that they actually had a few things in common, like, they both loved flying, they were never completely serious about anything, they loved the Wonderbolts, they were both blue–

“Hey, the rain stopped.” Soarin stated.

Rainbow Dash’s thoughts were cut short when Soarin looked out the window. Rainbow Dash turned her gaze towards the window as well. She saw blue skies through parting clouds as the weather patrol Pegasi moved the clouds revealing Princess Celestia’s beautiful sunset in the distance.

“Well Rainbow Dash, I sure had a great time with you today aside from the little incident that happened earlier, but I really should be heading back home to Cloudsdale.” Soarin said while smiling at Rainbow Dash.

Soarin stood up and grabbed his goggles off the coffee table where he had placed them earlier, and strapped them around his forehead. He then turned around to face Rainbow Dash, her glistening magenta eyes locked with his emerald eyes.

Rainbow Dash felt her heart skip a beat.

“Well see yah!” Soarin turned around and made his way to her front door waving a fore hoof goodbye to Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow Dash’s ears flattened as she watched him with crestfallen eyes.

Soarin stopped walking. “Hey, if it’s okay with you, I would love to hangout again sometime.” He said giving her a heartwarming smile.

Rainbow Dash’s ears perked back up and she got off from the couch and looked at him.

“S-sure!” She said with a little too much enthusiasm in her voice.

“Great!” Soarin said and threw his arms around her in a tight, friendly hug.

The hug took Rainbow Dash by surprise and she began to tense up and felt her cheeks heat up once again. She quickly relaxed herself and returned the hug, enjoying his warm embrace.

Soarin ended the hug leaving Rainbow Dash with a feeling of displeasure. Deep down inside she didn't want the hug to end, but even she didn't want to fully admit it to herself. What’s up with me? Rainbow Dash asked herself as she pouted.

“Here, I want you to have these.” Soarin took off his flight goggles that were strapped to his forehead and tried to place them on to Rainbow Dash’s forehead, but the goggles just ended up slipping down and hung around her neck since Soarin had a huge head compared to hers and he forgot to readjust the strap before giving them to her.

“You’re giving me your goggles?” Rainbow Dash asked while looking down at them.

“Chyeah, as a thank you for giving me such an eventful day.” Soarin said while rubbing a fore hoof on the back of his neck. “It’s not like I get to save somepony’s life every day.”

The two Pegasi both chuckled in unison.

“Thanks Soarin.” Rainbow Dash said while looking up at him with shimmering eyes and a sweet smile.

“I’m free next weekend; you think we can do something together then?” Soarin said nervously, hoping that she would say yes.

“I would love to.” Rainbow Dash replied softly with a tiny smile.