• Published 2nd May 2016
  • 3,658 Views, 208 Comments

Children of the Star - Grey Ghost



Princess Twilight Sparkle finds out who her real father is...and now she and her sister's must find him.

  • ...
12
 208
 3,658

A Little Sun

Celestia hummed to herself as she and her always loyal guard, Air Razor trotted through one of the quieter Canterlot neighborhoods. He was a young pegasus with aquamarine fur that tousled with every step of his muscled legs. A well groomed purple mohawk poked out of the top of his helmet and a tail of a matching hue was cropped short.

It wasn’t uncommon to see the princess and her ever trusted guard, she made it a point to be as approachable as possible, it helped keep her in touch with her precious subjects. While she didn’t remember everypony’s name, not even she could do that, she did at least make an effort to remember faces and a few details apiece.

“Ahh, it truly is a lovely day, isn't it?” Celestia smiled down at Air Razor. “Be sure to remind me to send a thank you note to the Canterlot weather team for all their good work.” Perhaps it was just her reputation, or an attempt to please her, but there were always more sunny days in Canterlot than not. It did make her walks more pleasant, but her poor gardener spent quite a long time watering all the plants.

“Of course.” Air Razor nodded, scanning their surroundings as they walked, ever vigilant. His ears flicked to and fro, catching little murmurs from the crowd around them. Nothing noteworthy caught his attention, but he refused to relax.

“Oh come now.” A small chuckle escaped her lips. As much as she loved his dedication, Celestia always found that he tried just a little too hard sometimes. “You could stand to make conversation with me. Do I have to make it an order?” she teased.

“If that's what you want.” Air Razor grunted, looking back at her. “I am yours to command, but remember.” Celestia had to roll her eyes; the guard’s stoic mask seemed glued to his face “At least one of us has to pay attention.”

“And that is why I always take you on my walks,” Celestia snickered, sticking her tongue out at him. “Your candid attitude is very refreshing compared to what I’m used to dealing with.”

“I’m not what you're used to dealing with,” he countered, peering down a passing alley.

“Which is why I keep you so close to me,” she offered. “I need somepony that gives me complete honesty between the scheming nobles and blind yes-ponies.”

“You know that that’s not what I...” He slowed to a standstill, holding his wing out, signaling for her to stop.

“Air Razor, what's wrong?” she asked, following his gaze.

“Who's there?” he called, moving up to the mouth of the alley. “Come out, now.” He flared his wings out, crouching into a combat stance. A small whimper echoed through the alley and a dirty little filly stepped out from behind a trash can. Celestia could make out red in the filly’s mane, but the exact shade was buried beneath a layer of grime. Her fur was likewise marred by garbage and dirt, bits of yellow-orange remaining untouched.

“I-I wasn't doing anything bad, I swear,” the filly told the guard, trembling. Her eyes darted around in her skull, most likely looking for a method of escape.

“What were you doing back there, little one?” he asked, kneeling down to look her in the eyes.

“...Looking through trash cans for food,” she admitted sheepishly, peering back at the trash cans behind her. One had the lid off, bits of garbage surrounding it.

“Why would you need to do that?” he asked, frowning at her. He glanced at the garbage cans for a moment before returning his focus to the filly. “A foal like you should have a safe place to fill your belly.”

The filly cringed, eyes locked on the ground. “I’m hungry and I don't have any money to buy anything to eat.”

“And why not ask your parents for some money?” Celestia asked, putting the pieces together in her mind.

“I-I don’t have any...” the filly whispered, a weak sniffle passing through her as a few tears landed at her hooves. “Momma died and I don’t know my daddy...”

“Do you have a name, little one?” the princess asked, gently stroking the filly’s mane. It hurt, seeing one so young suffering so. Some might have seen it as a weakness, but Celestia always had a soft spot for children.

“S-sunset Shimmer...” she muttered, flinching at the princess's touch. After a moment, the filly relaxed, nuzzling into Celestia’s hoof.

“That's a lovely name,” Celestia complimented with a maternal smile. Relief washed over her at seeing the filly grow more comfortable around her. “How about instead of digging through garbage we take you back to the castle for a nice bath and a great big meal?”

“R-really?” Sunset asked, looking up at her with wide eyes. “Y-you’d do that for me?”

“Of course, I was just feeling peckish myself.” The princess nodded. “And I always enjoy having guests to share a meal with.” She looked over her shoulder. “Isn’t that right, Air Razor?” The guard’s only response was a slow nod.

“Thank you!” Sunset’s face lit up, wrapping her arms around Celestia’s leg in a tight hug.

“I am more than happy to do it,” Celestia replied with another warm smile. “Now,” she said as she lit up her horn, picked up Sunset and placed her on her back, not caring about the grime staining her pristine white coat. “Let's get you that bath first and then you can eat whatever your little heart desires.”

“Yay!” The little filly cheered, a bright smile on her face. Celestia felt her own smile grow wider as she started walking down the streets of Canterlot again. She was sure that she received some odd looks over the dirt covered filly bouncing happily on her back, but she ignored them. Air Razor followed dutifully behind her, keeping a watchful eye on the filly. The trio returned to the castle and Celestia took Sunset into her personal bathroom.

“Everything is so big...” Sunset said in awe, letting Celestia place her in the tub.

“Well, it has to be considering that I’m much bigger than all my little ponies,” Celestia told her as she started washing the filly’s mane. Sunset giggled, closing her eyes, enjoying the cleaning. “Oh my, you have such beautiful colors in your mane now that all the dirt and... what I’m going to call garbage juice is gone,” Celestia commented, rinsing out the suds. She ran a hoof through the blonde stripe that ran through Sunset’s mane, holding it up to the light.

“Mama used to say I was really pretty...” Sunset said softly, opening her eyes. She tilted her head up to look at Celestia with bright blue eyes, moving carefully to avoid getting suds in them. “I think she was more pretty though.”

“Your mama was absolutely right,” Celestia replied, beginning to scrub her coat. “You’ll have to beat everypony away with a stick when you're a full grown mare.” She stopped her scrubbing to poke Sunset’s nose. “You don’t give yourself enough credit.”

Sunset giggled, her muzzle scrunching up as suds clung to it. She shook her head, flinging the suds away and whipping Celestia with her mane in the process. “You're funny.”

“Why, thank you, I’m told I have a very good sense of humor. ” Celestia closed her eyes and smiled. Whatever had happened to this filly, it hadn’t seemed to damage her, at least not terribly. She would still have Sunset talk to a counselor, just to make sure there were no warning signs that trauma would resurface. “You are just the sweetest little thing.”

“Thank you. Mama used to say that too.” Sunset smiled sweetly, looking much better. Her smile turned devious and she splashed Celestia, drenching her head.

“Oh is that how you want it?” the princess asked with a devious smirk of her own as she used her magic to pick up a small bucket. “Then try this one!” she laughed as she poured the bucket’s contents all over the filly. Sunset squealed in delight, splashing back. By the time their little splash war was over, Sunset had tired herself out and Celestia was thoroughly soaked.

“I think you’ve had enough fun for now, Sunset,” Celestia giggled, pulling the plug out of the tub and levitating a towel to wrap around the two of them. “Now, let's get you dried off and fed. I did promise you could eat whatever you liked.” She smiled, walking out of the bathroom with the filly in tow. Sunset didn’t try to put up a fight, sticking close to the princess’s side.

“That sounds good...” Sunset said, trying not to yawn. She rubbed at her eyes, leaning against Celestia for support.

“I think, once you eat, you should be put to bed,” Celestia said, running a brush through Sunset’s mane. “There are plenty of free rooms for you to choose from.” Celestia felt her work was sufficient, putting the brush down. “Do you like what I did with your mane?” she asked, smiling down at the filly.

Sunset trotted up to Celestia’s mirror, examining herself. “I love it!” she beamed, rushing over and giving Celestia another hug. She turned her head up to the princess, putting a hoof on her mane. “I’ve never had it curl before.”

“Good!” The princess smiled, wrapping a hoof around Sunset. “Now let's go to the dining room. That splash fight we had worked up an appetite.” She put Sunset on her back again, trotting happily through the halls of the castle.

“Um... Princess?” Sunset asked, watching the scenery go by with no small amount of awe.

“You can just call me Celestia,” she told her. “And what is it?”

“Can I sleep with you tonight?” Sunset asked innocently, gazing up at her with hopeful eyes.

“Of course, my dear,” Celestia told her, looking back at the filly with a maternal smile. “Anything you want.” The two continued on into the large dining room, and Celestia put Sunset down in the seat next to her as she waved a pony over. “Now tell the nice pony what you want and he’ll bring it to you,” she cooed.

“Um...” Sunset blinked, looking up at the waiter. “Can I have some macaroonis?”

“If that is what the little lady wants,” the servant nodded, taking notes. “And what would her Majesty like today?”

“Oh, just a simple salad with roses and a light dressing. And be sure to bring that tea I love.”

“Anything for dessert?” the servant asked, though he had already written it down.

“The usual,” Celestia replied, giving the waiter a knowing smile. “And bring some for Sunset as well.”

“Very well.” He nodded and walked into the kitchen. The two of them were left to their devices, though the silence seemed to bother Sunset.

“You get to eat whatever you want?” Sunset asked, looking up at Celestia with childish awe.

“Yes, it's one of the things that come with my station,” Celestia informed the filly. “Though I never ask for anything outlandish, my food is funded by my subjects, after all.”

“Being a princess sounds so amazing!” Sunset cheered, a wide grin on her face.

“In some ways it is,” Celestia chuckled. “But being a princess also comes with many responsibilities,” she explained as she took her crown off and put it down in front of Sunset. “It is my job to keep as many of my subjects happy as possible. Along with raising and lowering the sun and moon.”

Sunset grabbed it, placing it on her head. She giggled as it slid over her eyes. “I’m Princess Sunset!”

“Then what is your first royal decree, Princess?” Celestia asked with a bow. She had to stifle a smile; the little filly had done exactly what she had thought she would.

“Cookies for everypony!” she cheered, thrusting a hoof into the air. “Ice cream for breakfast! No more time outs!”

“Then it will be done,” Celestia giggled, wrapping Sunset up in a hug. “Princesses can’t be grounded after all.

She giggled, hugging her back, nuzzling her chest. The two continued their embrace until the servant walked back into the room, setting their food in front of them.

“Your meals are served,” he said, removing the lids that covered their dishes. The pasta in Sunset’s meal had steam rising off of it and was bathed in golden yellow cheese.

“Thank you!” Sunset smiled, licking her lips.

“If you want more, all you have to do is ask,” Celestia smiled, taking a bite of her salad. Sunset nodded, eating with the most horrid table manners Celestia had ever seen. “The food here is better to eat than it is to wear,” the princess teased, using a napkin to clean the filly up a bit.

“Sorry...” she blushed. She looked at her utensils, grunting in effort as she lifted her fork up with her magic. Struggling for a moment, she speared some macaronis and took a bite.

“Has anypony taught you how to use magic?” Celestia asked, watching the young unicorn with fascination.

“Mama did...” Sunset muttered, looking down at her plate. “She said I was really good at it. We were gonna go to a mama daughter camp this summer.”

“I see…” Celestia frowned. “And… how would you like to learn magic from me?” she offered carefully.

“R-really?” Sunset asked, looking up at her with teary eyes. “Y-you’d want a reject like me...?”

“Sunset, you are not a reject,” Celestia assured her, pulling her into another hug. “You are a wonderful little filly that is full of potential. I can tell.”

“That's not what Granny said...” Sunset muttered, burying her face in her coat.

“Sunset, who are you going to believe?” Celestia grinned as she stroked the filly’s mane. “Your granny, or the princess of an entire nation?”

“You’re nice...” Sunset looked up at her with big innocent eyes. She clutched onto Celestia tightly, the sound of the alicorn’s heartbeat soothing her.

“I try,” Celestia smiled, nuzzling Sunset. “I think tomorrow I should give you a tour of the castle and then give you your first lesson.”

“I’d like that...” Sunset muttered closing her eyes, starting to drift off.

“It seems I’ll have to save my dessert for later,” Celestia chuckled and placed Sunset on her back. “For now I have to put my new apprentice to bed.” She felt a bit of a twinge in her heart as she said that word. She let out a quick sigh, shaking her head as she returned to her bedroom.


The next day, Celestia had left Sunset in the care of her head maid while she and Air Razor made their way to one of the nicer parts of Canterlot. Something Sunset said had stuck out to her and she had spent the night doing research... which had bore some interesting fruits. She and Air Razor stopped in front of the door of a well kept home and he knocked.

“Coming~” a soft voice called out. A few moments later, an older unicorn mare, her colors a mix of purple and blue, opened the door. “O-oh my.” Her eyes went wide as she looked up at the princess.

“Are you Moonglow Shimmer?” Celestia asked with a fake smile that she had perfected over the years. Though keeping it in the face of what she was doing was a will and testament to her centuries of experience.

“Y-yes your highness,” Moonglow nodded eagerly. “P-please come in...” She stepped to the side, letting her in.

“I’m sorry to intrude,” Celestia said as she ducked inside and took a seat at a small tea table.

“No, no, i-it’s alright...” she assured, giving a shaky smile, “Would you and your companion like some tea?”

“I will have some. Air Razor, what about you?” she asked, tilting her head back to her guard.

“Please.” The stallion nodded, standing next to the princess. She nodded and ducked out of the room for a few minutes. She returned with three steaming cups and a tray of tea snacks.

“So what brings you to my humble abode?” Moonglow asked with a smile.

“It recently came to my attention that you recently lost your daughter, I wanted to give my condolences.”

“You are too kind, Princess.” Moonglow sighed. “It took me by surprise when she succumbed to disease. A parent should never have to bury their child.”

“I would also like to give my condolences for the loss of your granddaughter.” This caused the older mare to pause, before composing herself.

“Yes, she fell to the same illness as her mother. It has been difficult moving on.”

“Oh, really?” Celestia asked, raising her eyebrow. “Then why is it that I found her in an alley, trying to dig her dinner out of a trash can?”

“S-surely you are mistaken,” the older mare stuttered, nearly choking on her tea. “If my granddaughter were out on the streets, I would have put out a notice to the guards to find her.”

“She also happened to tell me that you called her a ‘reject’,” Celestia grilled, sipping at her tea.

“P-perhaps you have come across a different filly claiming to be my granddaughter?” Moonglow suggested. “Maybe it was a friend of hers?”

“Mrs.Shimmer, I would advise against any further lying, my companion is most suited to tell fact from fabrication,” Celestia warned, motioning toward Air Razor, whose eyes flashed green.

“Fine, I threw her out,” Moonglow huffed, putting her teacup down. “I had told my daughter to not have her, but she just wouldn’t listen. She said that her work would give her plenty of time and bits to raise the filly as a single mother. What my daughter did was just… it broke tradition. If her father were still among us he would've never let her go to that clinic.”

“Need I remind you that ‘tradition’ is what almost caused our extinction?” Celestia asked, raising her eyebrow.

“Hmmph, a child should always be raised by two loving parents. There's nothing extinction causing about that.”

“Sunset Shimmer is a sweet foal who lost her mother,” Celestia responded, a cold edge bleeding into her voice, “It’s a wonder her mother turned out well at all.”

“My husband and I raised our daughter to be a fine, upstanding unicorn, thank you very much,” Moonglow said, trying to stay calm.

“Moonglow Shimmer.” Celestia rose up to her full height, spreading her wings. “I have half a mind to throw you in the dungeon for child abandonment. Sunset is not at fault for the circumstances of her birth, nopony is. The only thing I need from you is the name of the clinic.”

“I have an old pamphlet from it that my daughter showed me once. I’ll go get it for you.” The older mare got up, rummaged through a nearby dresser and levitated a colorful brochure to Celestia. “There, that should tell you the name and even the address.”

“Thank you.” Celestia took it in her magic, tucking it under her wing. “There is one more thing, Moonglow Shimmer.”

“What is it now?” the older mare frowned.

“Your granddaughter is under my care now. You have no rights to her anymore.” Celestia got up, moving to the door. “It will be up to Sunset if you ever see her again.” She looked over her shoulder giving Moonglow a hardened look. “Pray that she will be forgiving.”

“...Good, I didn't want anything to do with her anyway,” Moonglow replied, turning away from her two guests. “Have a good day, your Majesty.” Celestia stepped out, leaving Moonglow and Air Razor.

“I hope you realize, Sunset is the only family you have left,” Air Razor spoke, moving to the door. “Think about that, as you grow old and alone, having rejected your own blood.” He walked out the door, pulling it shut behind him.

“Air Razor, stand next to me,” Celestia said curtly, folding her wings tightly to her sides. She could already feel the temperature around her heating up. It had been a long time since Celestia had lost her temper in public. The area of glass that had once been a desert oasis was still a famous tourist destination. “I am about to lose my composure and I’d rather not do that in public.”

“Of course.” He nodded, stepping behind her. “You put too much of a burden on yourself.”

“The burden is part of my station,” she replied, lighting her horn up and teleporting the two of them to a secluded part of the castle. Once there, Celestia let out a long roar of frustration. “That mare was insufferable!” she vented, seething slightly. Wisps of smoke and bright orange sparks rose off her mane and tail as she tried to even out her breathing.

“She was most distasteful,” Air Razor agreed, cringing a little. “Too much...” he rubbed his chin, searching for the right word. “Bitterness.”

“Slash, you can drop the disguise,” Celestia huffed, turning back to the stallion. “We’re the only ones that know about this room. Besides, with as much negative emotion I’m about to pour into the room, even you will have trouble dealing with it.”

“As you say.” The stallion removed his armor, his body quickly becoming consumed with green flame. He grew to be a head taller than her, his body covered in thick, jagged chitin. He gained a long, blade like horn, as his wings became thin and insectoid. Finally, his tail morphed into something akin to that of a scorpion, tipped with a stinger.

“And now I’d recommend covering covering your ears. I’m about to break out the Royal Canterlot Voice,” Celestia warned with the last bit of her composure. Her mane burst into flames, heat waves creeping off her.

“Of course.” He created a dome shield around himself, nodding for her to proceed. Celestia took a deep breath, flaring her wings out.

[That horrible, detestable excuse for a mare!” Celestia boomed, the walls of the room shaking. “How dare she throw her own flesh and blood out like garbage! I’ve dealt with villains that have more decency than her” She paused, panting a bit, her entire body flaming like a pyre.

“Finished?” Slash asked, dropping his shield and raising his eyebrow. The increased temperature didn’t seem to bother him at all, or at least he didn’t show it.

“Oh, I’m sorry, some of us can't bottle our emotions up indefinitely,” she shot at him, her wings returning to her side. With one last deep breath, her mane returned to normal; a few errant ashes and sparks the only evidence of her outburst. That and a nasty black scorch mark on the ceiling.

“My apologies.” He bowed his head. “But, do you think it wise to find the young one’s sire?”

“Well, it would be her only other possible family member,” Celestia sighed. “My other option would be to continue to try and raise her here. And, my job as princess does not afford me much free time. I don't want Sunset to feel neglected, Slash.”

“Of course.” He cleared his throat, buzzing his wings for a moment. “Do you wish me to look into it? Or shall I have captain Steelwork take care of it?”

“If you wish,” Celestia nodded. “You know as well as I do that I can't make you do anything.” She smirked at him. “Give my best to the captain while you’re at it.”

“I have no idea what you are implying.” He shifted back into his pony form and put his armor back on.

“Of course you don’t,” she chuckled, shaking her head. “Please, go and investigate the clinic. Bring me anything that sticks out to you. While you do that, I have a little filly to teach.”

“As you say.” He turned, leaving through the hidden door, which closed itself behind him. Celestia calmed herself, walking out of the room and towards the room where Sunset should have been. She opened the door to a sitting room, and saw Sunset happily playing with the maid.

“Celly!” Sunset grinned, making a mad dash over to her, hugging her leg tightly. Celestia paused at hearing that nickname, having not heard it said in quite some time.

“Hello Sunny,” she chuckled, recovering from her slight shock and stroking the filly’s mane. “Did you have fun while I was gone?”

“Uh huh!” Sunset nodded. “Ms. Silver Shroud was very nice!”

“That's why I had her watch you. So, are you ready for your first lesson?”

“Yes!” Sunset beamed, nodding her head eagerly.

“Then let’s go to the library,” Celestia smiled. “There's plenty of space and a chalkboard there. Do you want to walk or should you ride on my back?”

“Can I ride?” Sunset asked with a big, innocent smile.

“I swear you’re going to grow up spoiled rotten,” she chuckled, placing the filly on her back and walking out of the room. Celestia started out simply, taking Sunset to her private study. She gave the filly a few small tasks, mostly in levitation, the easiest spell for unicorns to learn.

Air Razor reappeared a few hours into the lesson, a stack of files resting neatly on his back. Celestia looked up from her teaching, noting the look Air Razor was giving her.

“I think it’s time we took a break,” she said, looking down at Sunset. “Why don’t you go get a snack from the dining room?”

“Okay!” Sunset smiled, rushing out of the room before asking about how exactly to get there.

“The records, as you wished.” Air Razor passed them over, taking a position next to her.

“Anything that stuck out right away?” Celestia asked, picking up the first form.

“Sunset appears to share a father with five other fillies. An earth pony by the name of Dust Star.”

“...I’m sorry, could you repeat that name? I think I just misheard you,” Celestia asked, looking at Air Razor in utter disbelief.

“His name is Dust Star,” Air Razor repeated. Celestia’s eye twitched, pouring over the forms until she found the name.

“That… I would say that I don't believe this… but considering this is him we’re talking about that would make me a liar,” she said aloud, shaking her head.

“Who are you talking about?” he asked, tilting his head.

“Oh, I suppose I haven't told you the story,” Celestia realized. “Funny, I’ve told you just about everything else about my past.”

“You have a lot of it to tell.” He nodded. “I do believe there is a picture of him in there somewhere.”

“A disguise, I’m sure,” Celestia waved off. “I already know this stallion’s true face all too well. Along with his real name, Star Dust.”

“That's... not much of an alias,” Air Razor commented, “Is this stallion someone we should worry about?”

“Knowing Dusty, he used such a bad alias so I’d figure out what he had done in an instant,” Celestia explained.

“So... what exactly did he do?”

“You said it yourself, he passed his genes on to six fillies. Star Dust was always about innovation. Something tells me he wants to see what kind of innovation his own children can come up with.”

“I feel as though there a few laws being broken here...”

“The first and foremost being the fact that he was on Equestrian soil,” she sighed. “Star Dust is technically supposed to be exiled.”

“Technically?”

“Okay, he is exiled. Though he imposed it on himself first,” she clarified. “He made a mistake with one of his experiments that caused the formation of the badlands.”

“That does sound like reasonable cause for exile, but how do you wish to proceed?”

“I’d say keep an ear out to see if Star Dust does appear to be using more aliases. With your informants that should be simple enough. And keep an eye on all those other fillies for me. I wish to know what kind of children my dear old student has.” Celestia smiled at Air Razor.

“Of course m'lady.” He nodded, starting to walk to the door. “I shall do so at once.”