• Published 4th Jun 2012
  • 4,159 Views, 489 Comments

Of Laurels & Lace - WritingSpirit



Rarity receives an invitation to a masquerade, but was immediately thrown into conspiracy, treachery and, above all, love.

  • ...
14
 489
 4,159

PreviousChapters Next
The Crux Four

Pendulum Palgiot paced front and back, the late afternoon sun shining a bright yellow down to the four teenagers before him. He wrinkled his nose at each of them, crossing his hooves.

He looked at the colt before him, wearing a messy, muddied suit. The colt's head hung down with shame, along with the rest of them as the stallion said sternly:

"Explain."

He watched, with a sick sense of amusement, as the four of them shuffled nervously. They were from the town, judging from their customs.

Well, almost all of them. The one with the suit was one of their own.

A disgrace, to say the least. He was lucky he spoke up first:

"Sir P-Palgiot... I... well, words can't express my regret and shame for my actions right now."

"You're lucky, Stellar," he replied, harrumphing at his unkempt, raggedy state.

"Epsilon and I just started on that machine, but still..."

"Sir Palgiot, if I... uh... may," the mare of the group spoke up.

"What is your name, Miss?"

"Persimmon, s-sir," she stammered. "Persimmon Cryoheart."

She quickly bowed, before saying:

"I-It's not o-only his fault. I was involved as well."

The other two colts stepped forward, the one with glasses speaking up:

"It's true, s-s-sir. All of us were..."

Pendulum Palgiot blinked at the sight of all four of them, waiting for him to accept his apology.

Then...... he laughed.

All four of them looked up in surprise, watching the Patriarch laugh out with tears in his eyes. They could just stare nervously at one another, not knowing what to do.

"You four share a powerful bond I see," Pendulum said once he stopped laughing.

"No doubt the bond of friendship. The bond of the four of you."

"We're the Crux Four!" the mare exclaimed, before quieting down a little, remembering where she was.

"We never turn our backs against each other."

"Yeah!" the last one, not to mention the most scraggiest of them, spoke up, nudging the teenage butler with a chuckle.

"We're not gonna leave our friend here all by himself."

Pendulum watched in amazement as the four of them joined hooves, saying together in unison:

"Side by side, on friendship's shore. What's our name? The Crux Four!!"

Without hesitation, the Patriarch clopped his hooves, letting out a hearty chuckle.

"Well, I'm impressed. The four of you really share something special: a powerful bond unmatched by many."

The four friends chuckled among each other, pride filling their faces.

"And for that," Pendulum began, clenching his hooves with anticipation.

"I have but a request for all of you."

Stellar was the first to look up in surprise as the Patriarch said:

"To make up for your mistake, the four of you are officially under my service. You are to be my assessors, acting undercover to expose any dark plans that might disrupt our family's position. Understand?"

The four of them gasp in delight, already chattering among each other with excitement.

"Of course, to award your efforts on making a firm bond of friendship, I shall grant each of you your own wish."

Another wave of gasps flew from their mouths.

"Really?" the scraggy one spoke up. "You mean it?"

"Of course I do." Pendulum replied with a chuckle.

"What is your name, my friend?"

"Sidus. Sidus Sirenheart."

"Well, Sidus," he continued.

"What is your biggest wish?"

The colt stood there for a moment, before brightening up, his eyes gleaming with anticipation.

"I had a dream... of joining Sicarius Nox, my Patriarch."

Pendulum chuckled. "Ambitious little one, I see."

"Quickly gather your things then! I'll send you off to the academy myself!"

With a leap, Sidus cheered out loudly, making all of them laugh.

"Omigosh, I can't believe this!" he squealed like a filly, immediately darting out of the room.

Next up was the colt with glasses, clearing his throat as he said:

"Um... I wish to become a doctor... sir! Please?"

"Then a doctor you'll be.... name?"

"Caduceus Brineheart," he said, fizzing with excitement.

"Thank you, my Lord Palgiot!"

The mare, Persimmon was next.

"I just want to have a family of my own. I've been living in an orphanage for a long time now, and I always wanted to know how family feels like."

"Hmmm.... that's a tough one."

Pendulum pondered for a moment, before answering:

"It's still an honorable choice. I will grant your wish."

Persimmon let out a squeak of delight, before catching herself with a bow.

"T-Thank you, my Lord!"

As the mare scurried out of the room, Pendulum turned to the last pony; his most trustworthy butler and helpful pony, always sticking to his side since day one.

"What of you, Stellar? Surely you do have your own aspirations, don't you?"

"I do, my Patriarch, but I plan to reserve them after I served the family."

Stellar gave him a wide smile, making Pendulum smile as he continued:

"I would be most delighted to serve you, whatever the needs."

"A grand sacrifice that was, yet a noble one."

Pendulum gave him a bow, surprising the teenage colt a little. He laughed as his butler beamed a little with pride, ruffling Stellar's short mane.

"Stellar Lionheart... I thank you."

~ * * * * * ~

Stellar sighed, laughing a little as he remembered the day.

All because of one little accident.

The four were exploring the castle. He knew his friends weren't invited into the palace, due to the position of the society they're in. When Pendulum caught them accidentally wrecking one of the earliest machines, however, everything changed.

The butler was in an abandoned part of the castle, nostalgia creeping into him. This was once a spectacle of feral animals, all caged up for the visitors to see.

Harrow was the one that set them free, being the kindest Patriarch he had ever seen.

Stellar sighed, glancing over at one of the cages. He remembered that particular animal that was held there, always fond of it due to its quiet personality amidst the roars and bellows of the rest.

"How I miss those days..."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

"I'm gonna purchase that... Stratty thing."

"Stratford-upon-Avon, Spike," Rarity corrected, grinning as he scratch his head in confusion.

"It's a wonderful place, I hear."

Twilight just smiled along with Pinkie at the couple, tossing a few dice in her hooves.

"My turn," she murmured quietly.

The four of them were playing Monopony in Spring's room, finding it sitting idly on the trunk. Octavia had just left the room, finishing her job of watching over the filly, who was still shaking in her sleep after her ordeal.

Pinkie's eyes lit up as Twilight landed on her property, watching as the unicorn clicked her hooves.

"Shoot."

"Bad luck, huh Twilight?"

"You already have Winter, Pinkie," the unicorn teased, making all of them chuckle. Much to Pinkie's relief, her friends were all accepting the fact that she and the Patriarch were together, even joking about it once in a while.

"What more do you want?"

Rarity's laugh faltered, turning back to the board.

She watched as Pinkie rolled her dice, moving her cannon piece down the makeshift path.

"So," the pink mare began, Gummy snoozing right beside her.

"How did the talk go?"

The white mare just bit her lip.

"I don't want to talk about it."

Twilight and Spike immediately sighed as soon as she finished, both shaking their heads in disapproval. Pinkie just sat there, staring down at the board.

"What went wrong?" she asked again.

"He said I was becoming Harmony again."

Rarity let out a dejected sigh, leaning closer to Spike, who passed her the pair of dice.

"W-Would I really...?"

"You think?" Twilight replied skeptically.

"Becoming another pony... it's really ridiculous, don't you think?"

"I suppose."

Pinkie watched as the dice rolled across the board, Rarity moving the silver thimble down the path.

"And he didn't say anything else?"

"He did mention something. About the Voyager Six."

"I've heard something about that." Twilight replied, recalling the sounds of fanfare and celebration in the palace that day, despite never actually being present at the parade itself.

"The princess mentioned a little about it as well. They were celebrating the departure of six ponies, destined to free Equestria from corruption."

Spike just scratched his neck as he rattled the dice in his palms.

"That sounds a lot like the Elements of Harmony, doesn't it?"

The four of them chuckled at the resemblance, watching as Spike moved his piece: a top hat, down the path. He landed on Rarity's property, the white mare giving him a coy smile.

"Mercy?" he could only say, making her giggle as she whined:

"And I thought you are a fine gentledragon, my darling Spikey-Wikey...."

"Fine..."

Twilight and Pinkie laughed as Spike grumbled, passing the mare a few slips of paper money.

"It would be more fun with gems, though," she mused.

"I don't think so," Pinkie replied with a giggle.

"Spike here will gobble them all up. Munch, munch, yum~!"

The three mares laughed out loud, covering their mouths to not wake the filly up. Spike just rolled his eyes, beckoning Twilight to toss her dice.

"Even a dragon has feelings, you know."

"Fine, fine."

The lavender unicorn slid her train piece along the path, landing at the jail cell.

"Wow. Tough luck."

A soft knock on the door saved her from any teasing jokes, all of them turning to the door as Doctor Brineheart stepped in, giving them a venerable bow.

"I hope you don't mind the intrusion, Miss Pie."

"Not at all, Caduceus," Pinkie replied with a smile, the others nodding in unison.

"It's time," the doctor said, the four of them instantly exchanging nervous glances.

"We'll meet in the library. Inform Soarin' and Rainbow Dash about it as well."

"Alright."

As soon as the door shut, Twilight turned to all of them, each giving their own doubtful looks.

She watched as Pinkie rolled the dice absentmindedly, asking:

"Should we go then?"

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

"... and you'll come to terms with the new government, in order for our alliance to go on. Would you accept?"

Princess Celestia stared down at the long contract before her, before glancing up at the room before her.

On one side, sitting at the benches around the conference room, sat the ministers, all anxious at her decision. She could tell they, if not the whole of Equestria, were depending on her.

No pressure, she told herself.

On the other, much to her detestation, were the hordes of dragons, their heads nobly facing that of their leader, who was sitting across her.

"Please don't make me wait, my Princess," the dragon, Kanov'hin mused.

"Dragons have a tendency to lose their patience, you know?"

"That's your loss," she mumbled under her breath.

She scanned through the contract again, wanting to spit at the words.

... instill our alliance, our military forces are to cooperate in battle...

... supplies must be equally traded if found at most ten miles from the borders of both nations...

... to abolish the old system of the monarchy...

"What makes you think that Equestria itself," she queried, "will agree to your proposal at hand?"

She crossed her hooves, watching as Kanov'hin started to grin cunningly.

"Simple," he just said.

"Once you agree, they have no choice to do the same."

"And if rebellions stir up?"

"We're always here to assist, aren't we?"

The latter of dragons laughed among themselves, only making the ponies in the room watch with spite.

Princess Celestia scowled under her breath. Disrespectful, scaly vermin...

"I don't wish for any of my subjects to be injured," she shot back.

"Then we'll just round them up and toss them in a deep dungeon."

The dragon then slithered abruptly, popping right beside the alicorn.

"But oh, how cold and unforgiving dungeons are..."

"They would rather die than to be sent there, my Princess..."

The dragons all cackled again as the mare crinkled her nose, watching as Kanov'hin settled back onto his grand chair.

"I'll give you some time to think this through," his voice boomed.

"Face the facts..."

The dragon suddenly launched himself, head to head with the alicorn as he muttered:

"... or face our wrath."

Princess Celestia raised an eyebrow in response, watching as the dragon returned to his comrades, all celebrating much to the revolt of her ministers.

"A little early for a moment to rejoice, don't you think...?"

She stepped out of the room before any of her ministers could start to call her. She had to think this through.

Allowing Kanov'hin to control Equestria was an absolute 'no', yet there wasn't any alternative to it. Then there's the brewing chaos in Pendant Lakes...

"Princess Celestia!"

The alicorn stopped pacing in surprise, turning to the direction of the voice. She watched as a group of ponies galloped down the corridor, recognizing the orange one immediately.

"Applejack."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

"Now then, are we ready?"

Stellar watched as Rarity, Spike, Twilight, Pinkie, Rainbow, Soarin', Octavia and Crimson nod in unison. He turned to Caduceus, then to Winter, both stallions giving a nod as well.

"I shall explain about everything, before moving on."

"Long ago, before Winter was born, there were four ponies, all of them sharing a powerful bond: a bond of friendship."

He swallowed a lump of nostalgia down his throat, before continuing:

"These ponies were the best of friends, always there in need of each other. However, fate had planned for them to serve the Patriarch. To extort corruption from the town."

"I was one of the four, along with Caduceus, my friend here. We called ourselves the Crux Four: The Four Hearts."

Stellar watch his friend smile, both of their faces beaming a little with pride.

"The other two had recently passed on. One of them was Persimmon Cryoheart, no doubt you have met her before."

Twilight nodded, trying to refrain from tearing up.

"I was there.... when she had passed. It was your Patria-"

"Fate has taken her, not the Palgiots," Caduceus broke in.

"The four of us were targets of the esteemed assassin as well. It's easier for her to die in peace than at the end of the demon's blade."

"Now then," Stellar continued, watching the lavender unicorn curse under her breah.

"The other was Winter's dear friend as well. Sidus 'Storm' Sirenheart. A household name of the league of Sicarius Nox. He was found murdered, no doubt by Mirror Mare, of course."

"The four of us were present at the fateful events of the Voyager Six. We, along with her Majesty, Princess Celestia, had to work together to stop Mirror Mare, but everything didn't go as planned. You'll see why, but now..."

The butler clicked his hooves, prompting Rainbow to bring Persimmon's box forward, her hooves trembling with anticipation as she settled the lacquered box onto the floor.

The ponies, and dragon, gathered in a circle around the box, as planned. Stellar nodded to Caduceus, who began to ruffle through his bag.

"Now, the secret shall be shown to you in an inter-drift dimension. All of you would be sleeping here, when in reality your subconscious has entered to a timeless place. We have sealed the secret with complex locks and keys; treasures that all four of us cherish with ourselves, all weaved with a deep, dark form of sacrificial magic."

"First treasure: Persimmon's box."

The three stallions stepped forward, Stellar continuing his explanation:

"Infused with the impenetrable devil's lock magic, she weaved it around the lock, sealing it tightly. It has, of course, a specific key, and that was..."

Caduceus Brineheart stepped forward, a rectangular box in his hooves.

"My treasure; the second overall."

As he flipped the lid open, the ponies all gasped in horror, watching as he pulled out the item.

"A severed horn, cut from the unicorn performing the spell of the dark lock with its caster."

The doctor sighed as he brushed his straight mane aside, revealing a stump on his forehead.

"The owner of the horn was the one that sealed it. He will be the one to open it."

"You mean..." Rarity could only say, unable to express her shock.

"A necessary sacrifice, for the safety of Equestria."

Caduceus aligned the horn to his forehead, the tip of it immediately radiating, pulsing with a yellow aura.

Suddenly, a bright ray shot from it, speeding towards the accursed latch on the box.

All of them watched as light and dark fizzled, the two opposing forces crackling in a duel, before the lid finally snapped open, smoke now rising from the broken latch.

The doctor panted with exhaustion, Stellar helping him to a chair.

"A little too much, I say..." he said with a chuckle.

Stellar then reached his hands inside, lifting out another box. This one, however, was more intricate: its surfaces were polished brass with pictures of nodes streaked across it, all connected to the keyhole in the center.

"A fine work of art," Winter praised, "from the late Sirenheart himself."

"Third treasure: Sidus's golden blade."

The Patriarch raised the artifact for them to marvel at, his butler explaining:

"One of the most treasured works of the late Sidus Storm. He was a renowned blacksmith, distinguished for making diverse arrays of weapons as well as being a refined assassin himself."

"To make a clockwork blade like this was hard, considering the minuscule cogs needed for the blade."

As Winter turned the blade into the keyhole, the box started to shift, smaller cubes and cuboids breaking apart from the main structure. They watched in awe as the key split apart as well, before the mechanism snapped open.

In it was a glass globe, a circular plate rising from the top. On the copper plate, there was a mold of a set of teeth into it, a piston below it supporting it up.

"And lastly, my treasure."

Stellar beamed with pride at the globe before him, before continuing:

"I've arranged it in such a way that the mold on the copper plate must match, down to the pressure exerted by every teeth. If correct, the piston would move down, pushing the globe apart. Inside it will be a glass globe, slightly smaller, that can be opened with a twist of a valve. Then, the room will be plunged into the dimension, isolating it from the rest of the world."

"Of course, we have to open this first."

"But how?" Rainbow asked, Twilight now studying the mold.

"That could be made by any animal."

"I'm sure most of you should've known the answer by now. If not..."

He suddenly turned to Pinkie, who stopped in surprise.

"If I remember clearly, you have to key to unlock this."

"What do you-"

Then she stopped, stiffening with realization as Stellar chuckled.

"... it... it was you?"

"Hold it!" Twilight interrupted.

"What was you?"

"I had an alligator as a pet before," Stellar began, making them all turn in surprise.

"She was a fine animal, mystifying in her eternal silence."

"One day, before I set her off back into the wild under the orders of Winter's uncle, I found out she left behind an egg. I've been taking care of the egg ever since, but I knew it wouldn't last."

"So you gave it to me..." Pinkie muttered, her heart tingling with sudden warmth.

"It was you... you were the one who gave Gummy's egg to me on my birthday..."

"Guilty as charged," he responded, raising both of his hooves with a chuckle.

"And I'm happy to see him content around your company."

The pink mare giggled as Gummy chomped her mane again, giving her a toothless grin.

"Aw, Gummy~!" she said, hugging the alligator tightly.

"His 'teeth' were the exact copy of his mother's, if I'm not mistaken."

Winter placed the globe in front of the pink mare, the alligator blinking his eyes, as if knowing what to do.

"Give it a try."

Pinkie bit her lip, hesitantly lifting the alligator forward.

Gummy blinked for a moment, before his mouth opened wide, immediately chomping down onto the dish.

*Click*

At once, the piston slid down with steam erupting from the globe, the metal shell popping open to reveal a glass globe within. The ponies watched in awe at the swirling mass of white; a miniature celestial whirlpool glimmering finely within the spherical container.

On top of it, a small valve sat there, rust already coating its sides.

"This is it, my friends," Stellar said.

"Revelation awaits with a turn of the wheel."

Rarity turned to Spike, then to Twilight, both being unsure of what to do.

"T-Twilight?"

"I don't know... I mean..."

The lavender unicorn bit her lip, watching at the mesmerizing light before her.

"Are you s-sure about this...?"

"I think it's best for us to have some time to think this through."

Octavia's suggestion practically surprised all of them. Silence filled the air, before Stellar replied:

"Fine."

Her friends all sighed in relief, before the butler continued:

"Remember, this is a necessary process. It would be wise to know what you're fighting against first."

Rarity nodded with a smile, along with Pinkie. The rest of them did as well, glancing at the glass sphere whilst watching the three stallions immediately stepping out of the room, leaving them to ponder.

The white unicorn couldn't wait, her patience beginning to leak out. The Voyager Six... the events of a forgotten past... to be set free with a twist of the valve.

"It's time we know..."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

"Do you reckon it's time?" Caduceus asked once they stepped outside.

"Everything is going as planned..." Stellar replied with a sigh.

"So far."

Winter just nodded with utmost silence. His thoughts were wandering, stumbling onto the face of a certain, pink mare.

"Diane..."

"Pardon me, Sir Winter," his butler began, snapping him out of his daydream.

"Might I ask about the possibilities of Harmony returning? She would be able to detect the magic stream of the dimension change, I believe."

The Patriarch just stopped with realization. He forgot to take that into account!

Harmony was one with the stream of magic, due to that bit of demon inside her. Being able to find them, all unconscious and vulnerable in the library, would spell certain doom to their plans, and to Equestria even!

There was no question: they had to find a way to stop her from reach them.

"We can't use guards..." he muttered.

"They won't stand a chance against her."

"Then what?"

Winter pondered for a moment, before saying:

"I'll use my talent."

Caduceus and Stellar stopped in surprise, looking at the Patriarch.

"What do you mean?" the doctor asked.

"Simple. I'll distort the castle's passageways. By using a diverse, complicated network of transfiguration spells, I'll twist the whole fabric of space in the castle."

Winter beamed, watching the two stallions nod in agreement, yet unsure due to the family curse placed upon them.

"It's a sacrifice I have to make, I guess. To stall the time."

"But she could just kill you, can't she?" his butler asked.

"That would completely break the transfiguration spell apart. The caster must be alive for the spell to work."

"Not to mention how vulnerable you'll be," Caduceus added.

"You'll require to conjure the spell for as long as it needs. I'm sure Harmony would detect about it as well."

"Hmm...."

The Patriarch stopped for a moment, looking out the window.

The sun was setting in the horizon; a mesmerizing sight for them all to behold. A flock of geese flew by, being tiny specks in the grandiose painting of a scenery before him.

"I've got an idea."

"What is it?" Stellar quipped.

"The Palace must be crowded. Filled with ponies!"

Winter's hooves pattered with anticipation, as he continued his plan:

"This can draw her attention away from them, keeping them all safe as well!"

"But we don't have enough guards to cover all of the palace, sir."

Stellar watched as the Patriarch settled back into deep thought, before adding:

"Chief Griffonhooves doesn't have that much men to spare either. It's not possible."

There was a long, awkward silence between them, before Winter snapped his hooves.

"I got it!"

"Got what?"

"Stellar, began writing and printing out invitations," he ordered, much to his butler's surprise.

"Invite every pony from the town. Every stallion, mare, no matter foal or elderly. Invite all the shopkeepers, the gardeners, the farmers, heck even the road sweepers."

Winter smiled. He knew doing that would break almost every rule of the palace, specifically that of social levels, much to the shock of the both of them. It was necessary, though, considering the dire situation they're in.

Not to mention how horribly amusing it would be.

"We're going to have a ball."

PreviousChapters Next