• Published 4th Jun 2012
  • 4,150 Views, 489 Comments

Of Laurels & Lace - WritingSpirit



Rarity receives an invitation to a masquerade, but was immediately thrown into conspiracy, treachery and, above all, love.

  • ...
14
 489
 4,150

PreviousChapters Next
A Rather Somber Arrival

Sunlight dappled across the window as Rarity woke up, her head still dizzy from the train ride.

Octavia was still gently asleep across her, clearly unaware of the arrival of morning.

Rarity gave out a polite yawn, raising her hoof to her mouth, before walking out the carriage door. Taking one last glance back, she smiled at the peacefully resting grey mare.

The train took a sharp turn, nearly throwing the mare off her hooves. She caught herself by the glazing handlebars of the doors, cursing under her breath.

As she walked down the passage, ignoring every bump of the journey, she quickly took out her comb and makeup, as she headed down the bathroom.

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

Spike's eyes fluttered open. His head was pounding, sore from the restless sleep he had.

He tried to get it out of his mind, but the vividness of his argument with Twilight kept assaulting his brain.

"Rarity was worried, and I mean worried, sick about you!!"

"Why would she even bother? She's probably happier finding some rich baron, or prince for that matter!"

"See, this is why it is hard to help you!" Twilight screamed, straight into the dragon's face.

"Just because you grew up a little doesn't mean you have to be a -"

"What?!" Spike replied harshly. "Come on, spit it out Twilight!"

"A MONSTER!!" Twilight broke down into tears, his attitude stinging needles into her heart.

A tear flowed from Spike's eyes as he looked at himself in the mirror. He was in his adolescence, and he was slightly taller than his fellow pony friends now.

What happened later made it even worse.

"I'm sorry, Twilight," Spike retracted slightly, trying to make it up to her as Twilight's mane covered her face, tears trickling down her face.

"I didn't mean to-"

"Don't be sorry to ME, Spike!" the unicorn, the one he had always known as his older sister, glared at him, tears still flooding in her eyes. "Be sorry to Rarity!"

Spike tried to wiped the tears away, but more returned instead.

Twilight's screams came back, shattering into his mind.

"She realized that you truly love her, didn't you know?"

"She wanted to tell you about her feelings, her feelings for YOU before she left! But you just had to...just HAD TO be the stubborn dragon you are!!"

"She didn't want to see you hurt! Or even sad, for that matter!

"Twilight," Spike began, but was cut off by a stern, painful...

SLAP!

"Leave me ALONE!"

The last thing Spike saw was Twilight running out of the library, galloping towards Sweet Apple Acres, tears flying in the wind.

Spike looked out his window, his fresh scars still hurting in his heart. He had let his 'big sister' down.

Damn it, Spike! he scolded himself. He gave out a frustrated roar, kicking a stack of books in the corner.

Trying to get a hold of himself, he heard the creak of the door behind him.

Was it her? Did she really forgive him?

"Twilight, I-" Spike began, turning around, but saw nopony there.

All of the sudden, he felt a strong blow on his head. Startled by the sudden attack, he tumbled onto the floor.

A second blow left him unconscious.

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

"- Miss! Are you al-"

Rarity groaned. Her head was pounding, as if somepony hit her with an iron bar.

"-rity? Speak to m-"

Her vision was blurry. Something lurched her body forward.

Her hooves reached around the floor. Velvet...

"-'s waking. Give her some ai-"

Rarity's perception grew clearer as she slowly squinted her eyes. A pair of lavender eyes stared back into her.

"Octavia?" she recognized her friend's eyes. A few other ponies surrounded her, all with looks of worry and concern.

"Rarity, what happened to you?" Octavia asked, clearly disturbed by her condition.

"Whatever do you mean, Octavia?" she replied, her mind still fuzzy and her mane slightly messed.

"I'm completely fine."

"Miss," a pony in uniform stepped from the crowd. He appears to be the coachmaster, with a look of uncertainty crossed his face.

"Your friend here reported you exiting the bathroom, then suddenly tense up before fainting to the floor."

Rarity's eyes widened in shock. "There must've been some sort of mistake... Octavia, please tell me. I couldn't have possibly done that. I feel fine, perfect! Over the top! It must be somepony else, anypony!"

"Miss? Are you alright?"

Rarity felt her legs gave way. This is not happening! This is not happening!!

Octavia quickly rushed to her friend's side, her worry increasing every minute.

"I'm sorry," the gray pony apologized to the coachmaster.

"She needs a place to sit. I don't think she will be able to bear with the news for now."

The coachmaster frowned, before giving a nod.

Octavia quickly helped the white mare up, who was still trembling with shock. She sighed with deep concern.

As they entered their cabin, she settled Rarity onto the red couch.

"Here, Rarity." Octavia said as she raised the cup of hot tea towards the stunned unicorn.

"This should help clear things a bit."

Like an obedient child, Rarity drank, her mouth shivering.

"Rarity?" Octavia asked cautiously, not wanting to provoke her.

"I-I'm fine," Rarity stammered, still shuddering from her ordeal.

"Please Rarity, can you tell me what happened?"

Rarity's mind hurt at the thought of her fainting. She felt a lump on the back of her head.

"I-" Rarity froze a minute, before finishing with a whimper.

"I don't know..."

Tears started springing from her eyes. Octavia slowly stroked her mane, trying to calm the unicorn down.

"It's just.... I feel like... somepony took a part of me.." Rarity said between sobs.

"and they just.... smashed it to the ground... and just stepped on it and..."

She couldn't hold back her tears. She sobbed openly on her friend's lap.

Octavia hugged Rarity tenderly like a mother would to a filly, as the white unicorn kept on crying before her eyes closed once more.

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

Twilight drank the last of the apple stew, before wiping the corners of her mouth with a napkin. Applejack looked at Twilight, giving her a worrying glance.

"Ya sure you wanna go back to the library, Twi?" Applejack asked, making her friend uneasy.

"I'm fine, Applejack." the unicorn replied, forcing out a grin, although the orange mare raised an eyebrow.

"It's just a small argument, that's all."

"Uh-huh," Applejack said, having a sip of apple punch before continuing:

"An argument that made you run all the way here, crying and begging Big Mac to let you in."

"Things didn't go well, I'll admit to that." Twilight assured her.

"But Spike's growing up now. I'll have to treat him like an adult."

Applejack just shrugged as her friend continued: "I know the last few months that Spike's been through is harsh, but that doesn't mean I had to argue with him over that one day."

"Yep, especially since he's growing faster than Applebloom." Applejack said with a chuckle.

"I have to agree, it's pretty sudden, but Rarity will be back soon," Twilight took one more sip of the apple punch, "and Spike will be the same lovey-dovey dragon he always is."

The orange mare tilted her hat sideways. "Well, I guess I'll be seeing you then, Twi."

Twilight smiled, the first ever since last night.

"Thanks Applejack, for everything."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

Rarity opened her eyes, covering them from the blinding rays of the sun.

"You're awake."

She turned around. Octavia sat across her, looking up from a book, something about music theories, with a smile, before looking back into it again.

She bit her lip, remembering the drama she caused outside. She shifted close to Octavia, a smile gleamed across her face.

"Thanks Octavia," she muttered.

Octavia looked up again. Closing the book, she placed it onto the wooden table, listening attentively to the white unicorn.

"I don't know what to do if you were not around."

"It's not a big deal, Rarity."

Rarity looked into the grey pony's eyes, her lavender pupils glistened as she spoke:

"After all, that's what friends are for."

The white unicorn let out a small laugh, before sitting back, looking out the window once more.

The scenery was different: instead of a meadow, she saw a rocky, mountainous slope. A goat stood at the far end, curious at the passing train.

"I don't want to bother you Octavia, but," she turned to the grey pony, "Where on Equestria are we now?"

"Somewhere north of Everfree Forest. Aston Peaks, is it? Pendant Lakes is just beyond this tunnel."

Rarity shuffled nervously. The slight mention of the name made her shudder.

"The coachmaster wanted to make sure you're fit enough for the journey."

She tried not to scoff. "Tell the coachmaster I'll be fine."

Her head however, was filled with doubt.

At least, I think I'll be...

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

Winter walked down the corridor, light shining in from the tall windows, arching the wall of the palace. A giant tapestry hung above his head, indicating the family coat-of-arms: a golden 'P' over a halo of laurel leaves.

He continued his stroll, passing through suits of armor. A red carpet guided him further downwards. The line of windows come to a halt, quickly replaced by a row of shell-shaped torches, flames dancing around the air.

He quickly stopped in his tracks, standing in front of an elegant, dark brown, wooden door, carved by some of the best wood carvers in Equestria.

All this, just for his sister.

He gave a small knock on the surface, before hearing a small voice.

"Come in..."

Turning the knob, he stuck his head inside.

The room smelled of morning dew. Every four sides of the room were painted with murals of trees, birds, tall grass, flowers of different colors and even butterflies, all glimmering under a morning sky.

The cupboards, chests and bed were painted a bright green. Up above, a domed stained glass window tells of ancient ponytales of the sun and moon. Light filtered through the glass, turning it a bright yellow.

At the end of the bed lay the lucky occupant, a small filly with a blonde mane.

"Morning, Winter," the filly said, before letting out a polite cough.

"Morning, Spring." Winter beamed with pride at her sister. She was one of the cutest, most adorable sisters he ever had. Ever since she gained her Cutie Mark, Spring had been one of the most cheerful and outgoing pony Winter ever met.

Despite her disease.

"Winter?" the small filly called out as she looked up to her brother, her beige pearls stared longingly into her brother's sky blue ones.

"Yes, Spring?" Winter answered patiently.

"Do you think I'll make it?"

That question punched Winter in the face. He stumbled with his words a bit.

"Well?" Spring repeated with a squeal, her older brother chuckling slightly.

"I think you'll do just fine, little sis."

A knock on the door interrupted their conversation, the both of them turning to the door.

A pony in a white uniform walked in, pushing a small cart of bottles and tools.

"Sir Palgiot," he said, "it's time for her medication."

He gestured two nurses as they walked in. Winter looked at her sister with concern before the doctor walked him out of her room.

"So Doctor Brineheart," he asked as soon as they stepped out the door. "How long does my sister have left to live?"

Doctor Brineheart cleaned his glasses before taking out a chart. He quickly did some mental calculations before arriving to the answer.

"About one year and a half, two years tops."

Winter felt his heart sting as he listened. His face darkened, prompting the doctor a question:

"Isn't there anything you can do? Anything at all?

Doctor Brineheart responded with a shake of his head.

"It'll take more than a miracle to cure her disease. We haven't seen anything like it before. It's something completely foreign, something new."

Winter sighed with defeat and worry. His sister, the favorite among all three, had at most two years of her life left.

Then he smiled. At least she'll be happy.

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

Twilight walked into Ponyville, with Spike entrancing her thoughts. She felt guilty for scolding him harshly before, the pain only bringing her to the edge of tears.

She took in a huge breath. This is it, Twilight! No backing down now!

She marched herself down to the library: her one and only residence along with Spike.

As she slowly trotted, passing through a few ponies, she heard a barely audible shout:

"Twilight?"

Her ears perked at the mention of her name, she looked around, her mane slowly ruffled in the breeze.

Then she saw it. The source of the voice. Twilight started to smile.

Fluttershy.

"Twilight!" the yellow pegasus called out as she raced through the crowd. She skidded to a halt before crashing into the purple unicorn.

"Twilight, I heard about your argument with Spike," Fluttershy panted, before gasping for air.

Twilight looked at her in bewilderment.

This wasn't normally Fluttershy's behavior, but her overwhelming concern for her friend proved otherwise.

"Are you alright, Twilight?"

The unicorn bemused a grin.

"I'm alright now, Fluttershy. Thanks for your concern."

Her friend let out a relieved sigh, before continuing:

"Is Spike awake yet? I was about to visit him when you came along..."

"I dunno," Twilight replied, her voice faltering.

"You're both still arguing about... um... about yesterday?" Fluttershy whispered carefully, not wanting to make her friend mad.

Twilight just shook her head. "I'm over it," she said. "and I wish Spike is over it as well..."

Both looked at the door. It loomed over them, making the pegasus cringe in fear.

"It's alright, Fluttershy," Twilight reassured her with a grin.

"I'll knock, just in case..."

As her hoof touched the door, it immediately swung open, revealing the darkness inside.

"Ok..." Twilight began, slightly puzzled as she trotted into the library. Fluttershy followed closely after her.

A landslide of books blocked the path, the sight slightly annoying the unicorn.

The purple dragon wasn't seen anywhere in the shadows, prompting them to step forward.

"Spike!" she called out. "Spike?"

The darkness loomed in the library. Fluttershy let out a small 'eep as she felt her shoulder brushed against...

"Peewee!" Twilight exclaimed in surprise, the small, little phoenix responding with a little chirp.

"Have you seen Spike, Peewee?"

The bird shook its beak, its smile faltering into a small frown.

Fluttershy slowly tried to cheer Peewee up, as Twilight continued into the darkness.

"Spike?" the unicorn called out again, this time a little bit louder.

No response. She was beginning to worry.

Then she saw it. A silhouette of the purple dragon on the floor.

"Spike! Oh thank goodness I found you-" Twilight began as she ran to the dragon's side, but as her eyes focused in the dark, she gasped out in horror.

Spike's head was bleeding, a small stream flowing, forming a miniature red lake on the library floor.

"Oh Celestia!" she shouted out, a fresh tear beginning to form in her eye.

"What's wrong, Twilight?" Fluttershy's voice echoed from behind a stack of books.

Twilight quickly placed both hooves onto the dragon's scaly, purple neck, jerking it harshly. Come on, Spike! Come on, don't do this to me now!

"Fluttershy!" she screamed at the top of her lungs. "Go get some help! NOW!"

As she heard the yellow pegasus galloping out the door, the unicorn quickly shook the dragon's body again.

"Come on, Spike. Don't you do this to me! Don't you even dare!!"

She screamed as she began sobbing, her head buried in the dragon's chest.

Tha-thump!

"Wait... could it be?

Twilight listened again, her ear on the dragon's chest.

Tha-thump!

He's still alive!!

As soon as she heard the third thump, sirens wailed outside the library, red lights illuminating in the darkness

Twilight whispered into the dragon's ear, clearing the mixed tears of sadness and happiness in her eyes.

"You're going to be okay..."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

Next Stop: Pendant Lakes!!!

"Well," Rarity looked from her window. The town of Pendant Lakes was in clear view now.

"It seems... inviting enough." she said to Octavia as the grey pony started to pack up. "I'm sure I wouldn't mind living here."

The gray mare only looked out the window, inspecting the town as the train came closer towards the station.

Rarity's horn began glowing a pale cyan as her bag enveloped in the magic itself, her friend hastily settling her books on music in a separate bag.

The wheels finally screeched to a halt, making the white mare jump a little as the steam engine died down.

"This is it, Rarity." she quietly whispered to herself. "No turning back now.

Rarity and Octavia clambered down the rusty steps of the train. The blazing sun prompted the white unicorn to wear her yellow hat, topped evenly with a crown of daisies.

Octavia, though, looked around as the other passengers began boarding or depart from the train, turning the station into a ripple of ponies.

"Great!" she complained. "More pushing."

Rarity held her hat down, the breeze threatening to blow it from her. As she looked around, she quickly noticed an iron post.

At the top of it, a rotting board of wood stood firmly clasped between two plates of steel. Rarity shielded her eyes from the blinding sun as she read:

Pendant Lakes

She gulped, the gruesome scene began replaying in her mind. She felt faint, about to collapse.

"Come on," her friend's voice shattered her thoughts, saving her from the morbidity. "This way."

Rarity breathed a huge sigh of relief.

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>


"So where you ladies off to?"

The carriage they hired wasn't satisfactory, but it will have to do.

Octavia was the first to talk. "As you can see, sir, both of us received invitations to a masquerade ball..."

Rarity looked out from the carriage, observing the town.

From the train station, they reached what the locals had called Fountain Square. The white marble fountain stood in the center, water spouting from the top, creating a majestic scene.

Around it, colts and fillies of different ages ran around, usually chasing the pigeons feeding on bread thrown by the parents. Vendors of different stalls sparked the attention of everypony, showing off their collection of knick-knacks.

Stone benches stood around the fountain, forming a giant circle. The marble pavement was filled with bread crumbs for the pigeons, and one or two coins lying around, hidden beyond plain sight.

A couple caught Rarity's interest. Both seemed like around her age, as they walked toward the fountain. With a coin in their joined hands, they both whisper in prayer.

Then, as the prayer finished, they threw the coin, making a splash in the fountain.

Slightly puzzled, she couldn't hesitate but ask:

"Sir?"

The carriage driver turned around, seemingly willing to answer Rarity's question.

"If you do not mind me asking, what purpose is it of the fountain over there?"

The driver chuckled. "Why, that fountain is a special fountain. It inhibits the power of an everlasting relationship, a pony with his or her mate, destine to fate together.

"You mean that fountain is some sort of Love Fountain?"

He tipped his hat at the slight mention of the name. "Yep! Many couples sought to come here from all four corners of Equestria, just to throw one small coin in that there fountain."

He smiled widely, almost as if he was proud of it.

"Why, sometimes we ponies living here at Pendant Lakes called it Lover's Embrace!"

Lover's Embrace, huh...

"Well, bring Crimson here tomorrow night, Octavia. I'm sure he'll be too happy to oblige," Rarity teased her friend as she began to giggle.

"Shut up, Rarity," the gray mare replied with a blush, before slowly laughing along with her.

Rarity finished laughing, a wide smile pasted onto her face. You're a lucky mare, Octavia.

As she looked around at the quaint little town, she felt her heart ache, her mane blowing in the breeze as she settled in deep thought.

Spike...

PreviousChapters Next