• Published 4th Jun 2012
  • 4,159 Views, 489 Comments

Of Laurels & Lace - WritingSpirit



Rarity receives an invitation to a masquerade, but was immediately thrown into conspiracy, treachery and, above all, love.

  • ...
14
 489
 4,159

PreviousChapters Next
Rapprochement

Applejack never felt any better.

"Yee~hawww!" she hollered, galloping down the grass hill with a bright smile on her freckled face. Her blonde tail flew in the wind, flowing freely. Winona barked joyfully, chasing the orange pony across the meadow.

Apple Bloom giggled closely behind, following her sister cheerfully.

Both ponies settled, panting and sweating heavily. Applejack smiled at her sister.

"That was one blast of a race!"

"Ah'm just glad mah hoof's still got its flair."

She waved her once-bandaged hoof in front of her sister. The filly chuckled with glee.

"Just be careful, sis."

Applejack sighed. "I promise. For the fifth time in this hour."

She settled under the shade of a tree. "Don't worry, Apple Bloom. I won't get hurt."

Apple Bloom laid her head on her sister's knee, closing her eyes.

"I hope so..."

It wasn't long before Apple Bloom started snoring gently. Applejack laughed softly, stroking and cradling her sister's scarlet mane.

"Silly filly."

The clock in the town hall struck three in the distance, the yellow bell ringing loudly.

The orange pony grimaced a little. She slowly helped herself up, leaving the sleeping filly behind in her nap.

Three o' clock. July 21st.

Applejack placed her hat down, silently sniffling remorsefully. Winona whimpered beside her, looking at the pony with worry.

"I'm sorry..."

She trotted down the path, ignoring the eyes of a few curious ponies before her. A small tear leaked from her eye, only beckoning more ponies to ask:

"What's wrong?"

"It's- it's nothing." Applejack brushed them off, biting her lip nervously.

Lies. It was always lies.

Who cares, her inner voice resolved. It was the anniversary after all.

A small cottage came into view from the meadow, making Applejack smile.

"If anypony knows how to cheer me up," she told herself, "it's Fluttershy."

Reaching the door, she gave a small knock.

"Fluttershy?"

No answer.

"Fluttershy?" she knocked again. "It's me. Applejack."

Still no answer.

"That's strange."

Applejack peered into the window, only to see a pair of red blinds fluttering gently behind a thick, glass pane.

"Fluttershy?" she tapped on the window. "You okay in there?"

Her confounded expression slowly turned into worry.

"Flutters? Don't scare me now."

She steadied her hind hooves, knocking on the door once again. Silence.

Applejack bit her lip, her flank facing the door. "Don't make me do this, Fluttershy!"

She cursed under her breath.

"Here goes nothing..."

With one swift kick, the door burst open from the staggering force of her hooves. Applejack yelped in pain, feeling her front hoof crumple.

"Stupid little..." she muttered, limping inside as she gazed into the darkness.

"Fluttershy?"

The orange pony looked around cautiously, ignoring the aching pain in her hooves. Wisps of dust fluttered as she stepped onto the ruffled carpet, barely avoiding a small porcelain vase on the floor.

"Fl-Fluttershy?" she called out nervously, her ears twitching in pursuit of getting a sound.

A small creak caught her attention. Applejack held her breath, going closer towards the stairs.

The wooden stairs squeaked as she climbed upwards.

Her hoof crunched into glass, making her yap in pain.

"What in the-"

Shards of glass filled the floor, joined by an oval, wooden board. Applejack lifted it up, immediately staring into her cracked reflection.

"What the hay happened here?"

Something ruffled through her tail, making her freeze with a nervous turn.

A small rabbit looked back at her. The orange pony sighed in relief.

"Celestia it's only you, Angel." she laughed.

"Where's Fluttershy?"

The usual, deadpanned frown on the rabbit's face wasn't there, replaced by an expression of terror and panic.

Applejack felt dread stinging in her gut. Something was wrong.

"Is she here. Is Fluttershy here?"

The rabbit responded with a frantic nod.

A loud shatter made her turn, looking up the stairwell.

"Fluttershy?" she yelled out, trying as fast as she could to gallop up the steps despite her throbbing leg.

She stopped as a loud scream erupted into the hallway. The sounds of crashing and breaking of wood soon joined after. A menacing shadow flashed through the light on the walls, seemingly tearing drapes of cloth.

The snarling and growling died down, prompting Applejack to go closer.

"Fluttershy?"

The orange pony gasped in horror. Fluttershy's room was in shambles, the floorboards broken and potted with holes. Her bed was ripped, the pillow lying in a mountain of feathers. The curtains dangled from the side, the cloth that once hung there now lying on the fallen cupboard, completely torn apart.

The silhouette of a pegasus panted and heaved, sunlight trenching onto her yellow, wrathful face.

"Fluttershy," she stepped back nervously, raising her hooves in self-defense.

"It's only me. Your friend, Applejack."

Fluttershy gnarled at her, the pegasus's spiteful glare piercing into her friend's eyes.

"Get out, Applejack!"

She turned to Angel, her pet cringing in fear behind Applejack's hoof.

"I told you, Angel! I don't want to be disturbed!"

The pegasus kicked her hooves, glaring defiantly at the rabbit.

"You wretch!"

"Fluttershy!" Applejack shouted, trying to knock some sense into her friend.

"What's wrong with you! Snap out of it!"

The pegasus spat on the floor, slowly marching towards Applejack.

"Put Angel on the floor now, Applejack!" she demanded, her eyes warping into small slits.

"I want to teach this sorry little rabbit a harsh lesson!"

Applejack turned to Angel, the rabbit's eyes pleading desperately at the orange pony.

"No."

Fluttershy's ear twitched dementedly.

"What did you say?"

Applejack pushed the rabbit behind her, backing up nervously as the pegasus stomped towards her.

"What did you say?!"

The orange pony held her breath.

"I said no!"

The pegasus started laughing maniacally, letting out a whimper from Applejack as fear grew inside her with each passing minute.

"No, she said!" Fluttershy clapped her hooves. "No!"

She slammed her hooves through the wall, the wood blasting apart as a dark frown formed on the pegasus's face.

Applejack anxiously clambered down the stairs, with Angel hanging on tightly to her back. She could hear her friend marching up from behind, her voice booming powerfully with hate.

"Nopony says no to me!"

The orange pony stumbled outside, collapsing onto the floor and gasping for air. Angel quickly hopped beside her, trying to lift her up.

Winona barked, dashing to the orange pony in desperation as Applejack

"Go get Macintosh!" she managed to speak, sweat flowing from head to hoof. "Quickly!"

The dog ran away hurriedly. Applejack quickly staggered outside with Angel hopping on her back, her front hoof now searing with pain.

"Darn this hoof!" she shouted with annoyance.

"Applejack!"

A small dash of yellow rushed t.owards her, pure terror scrawled across her face as Apple Bloom skidded to a halt in front of her sister

"I heard shouting!" she exclaimed. "What happened?! Did somebody get hurt?!"

"Come back here!"

"Let's get outta here!" Applejack exclaimed, lifting herself from the floor.

The sisters galloped hurriedly down the path, away from Fluttershy's cottage.

Applejack turned back to the cottage for one last time, looking in horror as grey and black clouds swirled above her friend's home. Thunder streaked ahead, a ferocious wind nearly blowing Angel off her back.

Fluttershy glared at her from the door, making the orange pony's spine tingle as she shouted from behind her pink, ruffled mane:

"I. Will. END YOU!"

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

The cavern rumbled and shook slightly, the stalactites on the ceiling chiming as they struck each other. Ponies all around gasped, looking around nervously.

Octavia gazed worryingly at the door, her heart slightly sinking.

Spring slept soundly in her hooves, completely oblivious to the chaos around her.

"Master Winter should be here any moment now."

The butler helped himself up, brushing the dust off his suit with the dignity of a gentlecolt.

Octavia flinched as the cavern rumbled again, now even louder. She gazed at the ceiling nervously, the swaying stalactites threatening to fall anytime.

Spring opened her eyes, rising from her slumber.

"They're here."

The door swung open, making all the ponies in the cave look.

Rarity stumbled in hurriedly, followed by Crimson. Explosions rang outside as Chief Griffonhooves helped them in.

"Crimson!" Octavia called the stallion's name. He responded with a relieved smile.

"Celestia, 'Tavi!"

Crimson rushed to the grey pony, hugging her tightly. "I thought I'll never see you again."

Rarity stepped towards them, giving the nestling couple a warm smile.

"Rarity!" Spring exclaimed, beaming widely. Stellar gave her an affectionate smile.

"Good to see you safe, Miss."

"Rarity, thank goodness." Octavia uttered with relief as Crimson helped her sit on a rock.

The unicorn's smile faltered.

"S-Something's happened."

Crimson sighed in distress as his marefriend looked between him and Rarity in confusion.

"Why?" she asked them, "What happened?"

The stallion spoke as Rarity started sobbing quietly.

"It's... It's about Spike."

The door slammed open. Autumn Palgiot quickly galloped inside, a violet body fastened to her back.

"Doctor Brineheart!" she shouted the doctor's name. "This is an emergency!"

"Excuse me," the doctor said, swerving through the crowd as a bunch of nurses followed him.

Rarity's eyes widened, her anguished face paling as Autumn passed by her.

"Spike?!"

The mare stopped short, turning to the unicorn.

"You know this dragon?"

"Make way!"

Doctor Brineheart untied the rope around Autumn's back, settling the unconscious Spike on a blanket.

Rarity sobbed with grief, looking away as Stellar placed his hoof around her.

She buried her head in Stellar's suit, silently praying for the dragon.

"Please be alright..."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

Twilight jerked her mane free, snapping a few, overhead branches as they reached down menacingly at her.

She harrumphed with annoyance. "Stupid trees."

Rainbow munched on a strawberry cupcake, smiling with glee. Her wings fluttered, carefully avoiding the trees around her.

"How far is the exit?" she asked the frustrated unicorn.

"I don't know."

Twilight groaned again, a small part of her mane tangled in the trees. Pinkie giggled, slowly bouncing over to her friend.

"Let me help you!"

The pink pony slowly untangled her friend's mane, humming a small tune as Twilight tapped her hooves patiently.

"So... Pinkie," the unicorn began nervously, "have you ever been to Pendant Lakes before?"

Pinkie flinched a little, before answering:

"Once or twice. It's pretty nice over there!"

Twilight sighed with relief as Pinkie finished untangling her mane.

"There! All done!"

"Did you... make any friends there, perhaps?" the unicorn asked as the three of them continued into the forest.

"Friends?" Pinkie looked at Twilight perplexedly

"Hmm... let's see..." she pondered.

"I have no idea, really."

Rainbow finished her cupcake, a satisfied grin on her face.

"So no friends at all?" she asked the pink pony, waiting for the answer.

"Nope, Null, Nada!"

Twilight sighed in disappointment.

"Did you actually meet anypony there?"

"There were a lot of ponies," Pinkie replied cheerfully, "but not many talked to me or anything."

Light glimmered from the path beyond them, making Pinkie gasp in delight.

"Ooh! Ooh! I think I see the exit!"

The three ponies galloped with anticipation towards the light, a widening smile pasted on all of their faces.

"We're almost there!" Twilight exclaimed. "Just a few more..."

Pinkie skidded to a halt, with Twilight crashing into her.

Both ponies crashed onto the road, the pink pony giggling a little.

Twilight blew her rumpled mane away in annoyance.

"What is it, Pinkie?"

"Look!"

Pinkie's hoof pointed ahead. The path plunged into a dark hole. Rainbow looked down, seeing only an array of broken wood and ropes.

"The bridge collapsed, Twilight."

The unicorn peered down, looking at the splinters of wood scattered around the chasm.

"Great!" she threw her hooves in the air. "Now we'll never get out of here!"

"Of course we can, silly!"

Pinkie steadied herself, buckling her hind hooves. She swung her bag to the back, a look of sheer determination growing on her face. Gummy chomped tightly on her mane, almost as if he was aware of what's happening.

With one swift kick, she galloped with a jump, letting out a loud cry of "wheeeeeee!". Her cotton mane puffed slightly in the wind, making it more ruffled than it naturally is.

Twilight and Rainbow looked in awe at their friend's acrobatics, the party pony landing safely on all four hooves.

"Why the big eyes?" she giggled.

Twilight was the first to clap.

"That was incredible, Pinkie! How-how did you-"

"No sweat!" Pinkie's voice broke in. "An exercise a day keeps a chasm like this away!"

"That doesn't even make any... Never mind that."

Rainbow gazed to the purple unicorn, beckoning her to go. "Come on!"

Twilight shook her head frantically.

"Nuh-uh! No way I'm going to do some fancy, crazy yet fancy, jump like that!"

The pegasus groaned, her wings fluttering impatiently.

Pinkie giggled. "You're a unicorn, silly! Use that thingamabob of yours!"

"My what?"

"Duh, Twilight! Your horn!"

"My-" Twilight stopped short.

"Of course!" she smacked herself, "What was I thinking?!"

In a shimmer of purple light, the unicorn popped at the other side of the chasm.

“Smart thinking, Pinkie!”

Pinkie guffawed at that comment.

“Anypony could’ve guessed that!”

“You know what? She’s right.”

Rainbow looked at the unicorn, slightly worried. “How come you never thought of it, Twi?”

Twilight stopped for a moment. “I don’t know…” she said, slightly puzzled.

“For some reason, my mind’s kinda fuzzy, like something’s blocking it or stuff.”

“It’s the forest.”

Both ponies looked at Pinkie Pie, slightly surprised as the pink pony gazed worryingly at the trees around them.

“What do you mean?” Rainbow asked reluctantly.

The pink pony didn’t answer, turning back with a small frown on her face.

“Come on.”

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

Caper paced around the small cavern, isolated from the immense crowd of ponies taking refuge in the larger caves. Anxiety began to flush through him as he spotted Autumn in the crowd.

"What am I going to do?" he asked himself.

"Do what you always do, Caper."

From the dark corners of the cavern, a light-blue pony stepped out. A warm yet demented smile was plastered on his face, his hooves open in a welcoming gesture.

"Disappear."

Caper stepped back, his eyes widened in shock.

"Dresden?!"

The other pony rolled his eyes.

"Who else would I be?"

"B-But," Caper stammered, his back now brushing against the jagged walls of the stone cavern.

"But Autumn- but she.... Autumn killed you!"

"You think very lowly of me, Caper."

He flashed a grin, settling on the damp, rocky floor with a snort.

"There are things you never knew about me."

Caper's hoof hesitantly reached for his gun, but Dresden's scoff made him stop.

"Come on, Caper! We're friends!" he said, his brows furrowing at the revolver in Caper's buckle.

"Can't you have a chat with your best friend a little? Talk about the past, the times of the old."

The tension in Caper's mind started to ease a little.

"And how can I trust you, Dresden?" he challenged, "How am I sure you won't touch me and everypony else?"

"Simple."

Dresden threw a coin towards Caper, the glint of silver flashing across his eyes. The magician caught it with ease, inspecting it carefully. A dove was carved elegantly, frozen in flight on one side, an ace of spades on the other.

"This... this is our friendship coin."

"Aye," Dresden said with a chuckle.

"Remember our secret oath? Our words of truce?"

Caper raised his hoof, stopping his friend as he looked tentatively at the gleaming coin.

"Fine," he suddenly said.

"We'll talk."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

Drops of rain hailed onto his red coat as Big Mac stood on the mud-filled path.

The usual serenity of the scene before him wasn't there, only looking more harrowing with each streak of lightning.

"Macintosh, ya think she's alright?"

Applejack stood beside her brother, hanging on tightly to her hat, the ferocious gale threatening to blow it away along with the countless dried leaves fluttering through their manes.

"Eeyup."

The red stallion looked at the splintered door of the cottage.

"If anypony can get her mind straight," Applejack said, looking up nervously at some of the shattered windows on the top floor.

"It's you, Macintosh."

Big Mac gulped a little with discomfort, another flash illuminating their faces.

"Ah hope so."

The stallion walked towards the door, now hanging at the hinges. He held his breath, before stepping inside into the foreboding cottage.

Darkness draped over the room, only brightened by the fierce streaks of lightning outside. Applejack stood at the door, wishing the best for his brother.

"Fluttershy?" the stallion's voice boomed in his deep voice. He looked around the living room, trying to ignore a few knives jutting out from the wooden panels of the wall

Something seemed to drift in his ear, making him stop. Applejack's ears perked as well, the faint sound picking up slightly.

Both ponies turned to the stairs, the small sound slightly twisted with a pulsing echo. Big Mac took the first step.

"Don'tcha make any noise, ya hear?" he told his sister quietly.

Applejack nodded, watching with concern as her brother climbed up the stairs.

"Be careful, Mac."

The faint sound seemed to pick up slowly as Big Mac advanced up the steps. He strode gently, trying not to make a sound.

His mind tried to register as the sound became louder and louder, recognizing it as Fluttershy's voice.

"Is she.... singing?"

Reaching the top floor, the warped, echoing sound of Fluttershy's voice drifted down the hallway from behind a wooden door. He tried not to shiver as the pegasus slowly hummed. There wasn't any sweetness, only a distortion of derangement and animosity.

The words grew clearer and clearer as Big Mac got closer towards the door. His spine tingled, the song starting to freeze in his heart.

"Hush now, quiet now,

It's time to lay your sleepyhead..."

Fluttershy's voice seemed to drift around his ears, rushing it in a demented passion as quick as the adrenaline flowing through his veins.

"Hush now~, quiet now~..

It's time to go to bed~~"

"Fl-Fluttershy?" he called out, giving the door a gentle push.

The wooden door swung open slowly with a creak.

The pegasus stood over a gathered mound of debris, her eyes flushing in a bitter rage. She glared at the stallion, making him freeze on the spot.

"You?!" she shouted at the top of her voice. "What are you doing here?!"

"Fluttershy-" he began, but stopped short as he looked in horror at the scene before him.

Blood stained the walls in giant splatters, joined only by the blades stabbed deep within the wooden panels. The floor was scattered with yellow feathers, clearly fallen from the wings of the frenzied pegasus.

"What the hay..."

A pony hung from the beams, tangled in a bunch of wires with blood dripping from the bottom of the pony's hooves. Fluttershy smiled, giving the dangling pony a push.

Big Mac paled as a small whimper filled his ears.

"That pony's still alive!"

He puffed his chest a little.

"Let this pony go! Now!"

The pegasus growled fiercely with a blade readied in her hoof.

"Don't you dare get any closer!"

"You don't know what I'm capable of, Fluttershy." he shouted back.

Fluttershy snorted coldly.

"And what would you do? Hurt me?!"

A streak of light flashed into the room, clicking the gears in the stallion's head into place.

"Don't make me do this, Fluttershy."

The pegasus laughed before her face quickly turned into a frown. She gritted her teeth with a harrumph, ruffling her wings harshly.

"Try me."

Big Mac closed his eyes.

With one swift gallop, he tackled the pegasus, which let out a piercing shriek as her back pummeled through glass. Both ponies fell out into the rain, the pegasus's pupils now widened in fear.

Applejack rushed out, watching in horror as both ponies crashed onto the dirt road.

"MACINTOSH!!"

Big Mac groaned, his body crumpling numbly in pain. He turned to his side, trying to get a glimpse of Fluttershy.

Fluttershy's wings were folded, slightly severed to the bone. Blood dripped from her mouth, mixing with sweat, mud and rain. She let out a small whimper, the burning rage in her eyes slowly fading.

"I-I'm not.... like you...."

The stallion lifted himself up, ignoring the burning pain fizzling in his body. Applejack helped him up, her face mixed with distress and concern.

"Celestia, Fluttershy..." she looked at the cringing pegasus, forcing out a small sob.

"There's somepony else. Somepony trapped upstairs in her room."

Big Mac winced in pain, nearly tumbling over as Applejack caught him just in time.

"Ah'll take care of it."

Applejack turned to her brother.

"And what about her? Can we get her to the hospital in time?"

Big Mac looked at the pegasus, trying to repress her deranged face. Her demented scowl.

Her disturbing lullaby.

"I hope so."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

He let out a small sigh.

The countryside was always a great escape from civilization. The forest air was always refreshing. The birds chirping a sweet melody in his ears. The gallant view of waterfalls flowing in a breathtaking leap. The large columns of smoke flowing through the air....

Wait, that last one didn't seem right.

He looked in horror at the sight before him.

Flames whipped from beyond the undergrowth. The smell of burnt wood reeked as sparks jumped from the embers. The granite road that laid before him was blackened with soot, covered with broken rock and wood.

A small crunch made him look down. His hoof landed on a small sign, blackened and shattered. The paint was still legible, stating the name of the town:

Pendant Lakes

A small figure seemed to rush up to him. He squinted his eyes, trying to see through the smoke.

"What happened?!" he shouted through the roaring of flames.

As the pony grew closer, he realized who it was.

"Winter?! Winter Palgiot?!"

Sweat dripped from the Patriarch's blue mane with each pant.

"This isn't a good time to be here, sir!" Winter shouted.

He swung his backpack, the sound of clinking glass only made the Patriarch stare at it in suspicion.

"What's in that thing?"

"Potions," he answered, still horrified at the havoc around him.

"You're a doctor?"

"Somewhat like that." he replied. "Traditional doctor."

Winter started to smile, but faltered as a loud 'boom!' echoed from behind him.

"Come with me, Mr..."

"Dredges Deniers." he told the Patriarch with a slight grin.

"But you can call me Dresden."

PreviousChapters Next