• Published 4th Jun 2012
  • 4,159 Views, 489 Comments

Of Laurels & Lace - WritingSpirit



Rarity receives an invitation to a masquerade, but was immediately thrown into conspiracy, treachery and, above all, love.

  • ...
14
 489
 4,159

PreviousChapters Next
Frosted Limelight

Caper Masque! The Manehatten Caper! The Magic Extraordinaire!

The black pony grimaced as he looked at the old poster. He crumpled it tightly in his hoof, giving it a sneer as he toss it into the wastebasket.

He never loved being part of the act, by act meaning the Circo Coriandri, the Coriander Circus.

It was his dream, and his talent, to perform magic. He would be lying if he said the Cutie Mark of cards flying out of the top hat didn't prove it.

Now he wasn't so sure.

"Why am I here?" Caper asked himself. "What am I doing..."

The small buzz of a fly distracted him, as he shooed it away with annoyance. The autumn winds blew slightly into his face, reminding him the reason he's here.

It was one of those nights. Tickets for the Circo Coriandri was selling out. Ponies all over Equestria had come to with high hopes.

A long snake of a queue stretched to the ticket booth, which is a pretty normal sight for Caper. He was younger, more influential and outgoing then.

"Caper, you forgot to give me an autograph!"

"Hey, Dresden!" he called to his best friend. "How's Sweden? Heard about your skiing trip!"

"You should've been there, bro!" Dresden said, his hoof patting Caper's back. "Everpony was having a heck of a time in the snow. Celestia, the mountains are awesome!"

Caper smiled a little. Freedom really meant a lot right now.

"You're still stuck in the magic business?" Dresden asked as he chomped into a hayburger.

"I don't know if I will ever get out from this circus."

Caper sighed as he continued practicing. The audience are here for perfection, so perfection it is!

"Dude, you've done this like a hundred million times." Dresden rolled his eyes. "It's gonna get so boring, man. Ponies all over will already know how you do it."

Caper flicked a small card in his hand. "This is different, Dresden." He dipped it slightly in olive oil.

"A magician must always try something new."

"Olive oil, huh?"

The black pony flipped open a lighter, the small ember already flaring as he flicked the card through.

Flames started to consume the card, as Dresden watched in anticipation.

Caper smirked. He tossed the card in the air as it burned up into ashes.

"Now, Dresden. Think of a card."

He watched as his best friend pondered a little.

"Got it!"

"Okay." Caper reached for a bottle of gin. "Here goes..."

He popped the cork open as the gin slowly flowed into his mouth. Dresden tried not to laugh as he watched his friend trying to hold it all in.

Caper directed the lighter to his mouth, flicking it open as a small flame danced around the flint.

In one quick move, he spewed the gin from his mouth. A dazzling ray of fire bursted, the air around heating up slowly as Dresden watched in amazement and awe at the fire show before him.

Something seemed to fly out from the flames, slowly whizzing towards Dresden as he caught it with perfect accuracy.

"No... No way!" he shouted in disbelief. A black card showing three, inricate white diamonds lay tightly in his hoof.

"How! How is it-"

"As I said, every magician pony must learn a few tricks or two." Caper said with a brimming smile. "This is your card, I presume?"

Dresden could only silently nod in surprise, as Caper chuckled at his friend.

"Come now, Dresden! We've got a show to attend!"

Caper smiled a little, returning from his fond memories.

"Good times..."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

Manehatten was large, crowded, towering above everypony under the colossal shadows. The glass skyscrapers stood in a gleaming magnificence, reflecting the morning sun down onto the roads. Twilight looked out the window in amazement as the yellow cab started moving.

Vinyl was beside her, humming a slightly distorted tune on her iPod. Applejack, however, was asleep, clearly tired out from the long carriage ride from Ponyville.

"So Twilight," Vinyl suddenly said. "You think Octavia and Rarity will be safe over there?"

"I hope so, Vinyl." she replied, as she grow more concerned for the white unicorn.

"Be careful over there."

It was a wonder why Rarity had never asked for the Princesses's help. After all, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna were indispensable to every problem around Equestria.

Well, maybe some day.

"Persimmon Mills." Twilight reminded herself. That was the name of mare she needed to find. To search for answers.

To help Rarity.

From what her friend told her, Persimmon was living somewhere in Manehatten. There was no address, meaning that the search had just became a hundred times harder.

She paled as the taxi swiftly passed by a grand row of apartments. "The pony could be anywhere!"

Vinyl stifled a laugh. "Well, she must live somewhere." she said as she scrolled down her music list.

"I'll ask around, probably. I've got a gig somewhere down the corner."

"A gig?" Twilight asked. "You mean you've come all the way down here for a gig?"

"There isn't much of those in Ponyville," Vinyl shrugged comically. "The only times I've played was at Pinkie's parties. But now she's injured, hurt and all..."

Vinyl shuddered a little. "I don't get it. Why would somepony attack Pinkie Pie?"

"I honestly don't know." Twilight said. "But I'm gonna find out why."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

The breeze slowly drifted through Rarity's mane as she held her breath.

"Spike?"

"Yes, Rarity?" the dragon replied with worry. He shifted uncomfortably on the wooden bench, his claws slowly digging into the handles.

"Do you...... k-know that," she stammered.

The dragon gave her a hush, as his claws started twirling around Rarity's mane. The unicorn giggled as the dragon stared dreamily at her, with hearts in his eyes.

"I might not be the dragon I used to be," Spike said. "But my heart is still beating for you. Always."

Rarity blushed a little. "That's so sweet of you, Spike."

The leaves showered onto the two in a golden-orange waterfall, as Rarity huddled closer to the dragon.

"Spikey-Wikey..." she whispered into his ear.

"I love you."

The dragon gave her a smile. He gave a kiss on her cheek, making her blush.

"I love you too."

Something snapped between them. The sky started cracking into white as Rarity felt herself fly. "Wh-What's happening?!"

"I... I don't know!!" Spike shouted as he tried to pull Rarity back down.

"Spike!!" she called out in desperation.

"Hold on... Rarity. I got you!"

Their grip started to loosen as Rarity started tearing up. "Don't let go of me!!"

"I won't! Never!!"

Tears start to form in Rarity's eyes as Spike tried to pull the unicorn down. He grunted and growled with each pull.

Suddenly, the grip between them broke. Rarity gasped in shock as she started floating away.

"Spike!!!" she screamed, watching helplessly through tears as the dragon started chasing after her.

"Hold on, Rarity!!! I'm coming!!"

The world around her began to blur, as Rarity felt herself consumed into a white void.

"Spike!!!"

The white mare pounced from the chair, but was pulled backwards from a leather strap. She struggled frantically in vain. "Let me go!!! Let me go!!!"

"Rarity!" Winter quickly rushed to her. "It's okay! It's okay."

"Calm down, Rarity."

The white mare started sobbing loudly as Winter began unstrapping her from the machine.

"It's alright," Winter tried to calm her down.

Rarity collapsed to the stone floor, still sobbing her heart out.

She covered her face with her mane as Winter trotted up to her.

"Come on. That's enough for today."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

The club was bouncing with life as Twilight and Applejack made their way through the crowd. Lasers flashed in the distance, with head-pounding music blaring from giant speakers at a corner.

"Twilight!!!"

"What!!" Twilight shouted back to Applejack.

"Ya sure we're in the right place?!! It's like a crazy pony festival in 'ere."

The bass began thumping louder and louder as they finally found a seat near the bar. The bartender was shaking cocktails in the center as ponies started cheering and jumping on the dancefloor.

"What do you mares need?"

"Just a pineapple shake," Twilight responded. "And an apple martini."

"Martini?! Don't 'cha think it's a little too expen-"

Twilight hushed her as she scanned through the club. Ponies everywhere are banging their head to the music. A sudden shower of water sprayed onto the dancefloor as everypony started cheering their voices out. Screams and cries of enthusiasm and anticipation filled Twilight's ears, as she tried to cover them up with her hooves.

"Twilight!!! When can we get out of here?!!" Applejack shouted over the music with annoyance.

"When we find Persimmon!!!"

Suddenly, Vinyl's hoof came into view. The pony gestured Twilight and Applejack over.

Swerving through the crowd, they found Vinyl struggling to lift another pony up from the floor.

"Let me go~!" the pony shouted drunkenly, waving her hooves around.

"Here, Twilight! This is the one you're looking for!!"

"What?!!" Twilight exclaimed, looking at the pony with shock.

"This is Persimmon?! What the hay? I thought she would look more formal!"

"And who are you?" Persimmon sneered in her drunken daze. "Not from around here, eh?"

"Word of advice: get out of my way!"

She harshly shoved Applejack aside, stumbling towards the bar.

"Why you-!"

"Applejack!" Twilight stopped her. "We're her to talk to her, not to beat her up!"

"She ain't right, Twi!"

"Of course she's not! She's drunk! With one too many beers or ciders, I dunno!"

Applejack stopped short, tipping her hat to the side as she grumbled a little.

"Persimmon!! Persimmon Mills!!" Twilight called out to the drunken pony.

"It's not Mills, you glutton!" the pony replied rudely, staggering as she squinted her eyes.

"I want to have nothing to do with that stupid, bucking-"

Persimmon fell suddenly, right into Twilight's arms.

"Please, Persimmon! We need to talk to you!!"

The music blared even louder. Applejack shot a glare at Vinyl, who was busy scratching the turntables.

"We need to get out of here, Twilight!"

Both ponies helped Persimmon up, slowly bringing her out of the club.

"Leave me alone!! I'm fine, you crazy-"

"You're the one that's crazy now, you skank!" Applejack shouted with rage.

Persimmon seemed to quiet down a little, as the music continued to blare furiously.

"Come on, Applejack!" Twilight said. "Let's take her outside."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

"And now for the event of the night!! Be amazed at the outstanding feats of the Manehatten Caper! The Magic Extraordinaire!"

"Give it up for Caper Masque~~~!!!!"

Caper walked into the center of the tent, waving his hoof with enthusiasm as the crowd clopped their hooves, cheering loudly for him.

He swished his cape around, giving the crowd a wink. Flicking his wand, a flock of doves sprung from thin air, making the audience gasp and clop with awe.

"Thank you! Thank you!" he bowed as he reached the center of the tent.

"Thank you everypony, for coming here."

"Tonight is a wonderful night!" Caper shouted as the cheering died down. "I am grateful to everyone for coming here!"

The crowd whistled and cheered a little.

"Of course, magic is just an illusion. A show of trickery, deceit, to fool the innocent eyes."

He gave a sly grin as he scanned through the audience.

"A lie."

"So you could say I was lying to you then," Caper said with a chuckle.

The audience laughed at his joke as Caper continued.

"But for now, let magic captivate. Feast your eyes, be prepared to be amazed."

He readied his wand.

Here goes nothing.

With one flick, a table fell suddenly from the sky. The audience gasped in horror and excitement as Caper stepped to one side.

"My bad!" he told them coyly. The audience started clapping and cheering for joy.

"There's a table. All I need is..." he flicked his wand again.

Something fell from the top of the tent, landing just right behind him.

He smirked as he finished his sentence. "A chair."

Clops and cheers echoed through the night, as Caper slowly performed his tricks one by one.

"Snap out of it!"

"Huh? What?" the black pony teetered around his seat, nearly stumbling off.

Autumn sat across him, trying to look casual as she slowly finished her last muffin.

"You were telling me," she swallowed the piece. "about leaving. When did you say we can leave?"

Caper bit his lip. He himself wasn't even sure how they could leave.

"Next month? Two months after? I don't know."

Autumn held herself back. "Surely, you must at least... have a way out of here?"

Caper slumped into his chair. She immediately knew the answer.

"Well, you should've at least just tell me." her voice grew in frustration.

Both ponies sighed deeply. Caper finished his tea as Autumn just watched him.

"What are we going to do?" she asked with worry.

He placed the teacup down. Holding Autumn's hooves in his, he stared deeply into her orange pupils.

"I'll take care of it."

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

Applejack leaned against the dumpster, refraining herself from even smelling the air around her.

Twilight stood beside Persimmon, who was sitting on a cardboard box.

"Persimmon? You okay?" Twilight asked.

"I'm fine, miss." she replied, as she brushed off a tear. "But w-why.. who.. Caesar-"

She whimpered slightly as Applejack walked over to them.

"C-Caesar isn't t-the type that everypony would mess with. Why did he-"

"We don't know," Applejack cut in. "But what we do know that somepony's been hurting our friends. And I sure hope you and Caesar had something you know about it."

Persimmon glanced away uneasily, her hooves fidgeting around.

"There, there." Twilight said with a grin. "It's okay, you can tell us."

"Ho-How did you know? About me?" Persimmon asked.

"A friend read your book. Dragonheart, is it? She was the one that told us your... ex-husband has passed."

"Ah, Dragonheart," Persimmon suddenly smiled a little. "That was one of my favorite works. Caesar and I used to enjoy writing it together."

Twilight placed a hoof on the pony's shoulder as she started sobbing a little again.

"I'm sorry about... about Caesar."

"Never mind him," Persimmon shuddered a little. "He isn't worth a mare's time."

Applejack sat beside her. "But why marry him?" she asked curiously.

"If he isn't even worth your time, why did you become his wife?"

"It's complicated, miss." Persimmon said with a shrug.

"Caesar and I, we both met at a theater many years ago. I was a young mare like both of you back then."

Persimmon blew into her handkerchief as she continued her story.

"Caesar, he was one of those performers on stage you see today. He was always dramatic, always the kind to get into trouble."

"He was a playful one," Persimmon laughed a little. "Especially with mares."

Twilight shuffled closer to her. "What do you mean 'playful with mares'?"

"He's one of those who naturally, and I mean naturally, flirt with mares. Luckily the mares are sensible enough to stay away from my colt."

Persimmon giggled with a blush. "I was a more... serious pony back then. I hated drinking, smoking, doing what I did today. Caesar respected me for it, and I like that."

"When he proposed to me in his hometown, near some fountain, I was, of course, surprised! And of course, I agreed."

"Awwww...." Twilight said. "That's cute!"

Applejack munched on an apple. "Shucks, that's mighty sweet of him."

"I know!" Persimmon said with a sigh. "We both grew up, have some kids. But something. Something changed in Caesar. The Caesar I once knew suddenly disappeared."

"Every night, he'll end up drunk, half-brained, drugged. I don't know." the mare continued with a sob.

"I had to force the kids to sleep just to have an argument with him."

"Then what happened?" Twilight asked.

"We were behind on rent. We had warning letters nearly every month. One day, I decided that was it, so I filed a divorce and took my kids along. We've been living in Manehatten ever since."

"I never knew what happened to Caesar after that." Persimmon started crying again. "Celestia, please have mercy on his soul."

"We've gotta get you home, Persimmon." Applejack said as she stood up from the box, tipping her hat while she looked into the bustling nighttime skyline.

"So," she asked Persimmon. "where did you stay?"

"Over there!" Persimmon pointed to a small apartment just across the street. "I live alone now; most of my kids are in college and sorts. Life here was quite harsh sometimes."

"Don't worry, Persimmon." Twilight assured her with a smile. "You'll be fine."

Persimmon smiled widely at the purple unicorn. "Thanks."

The three ponies set off, walking out the alley into the busy road.

A crowd of ponies stood in front of the zebra crossing, as Twilight, Applejack and Persimmon squeezed inside. Cars slowly passed by, as they stood there patiently.

Applejack tapped her hooves, trying to time the light. Something caught her attention from the corner of her eye.

It was a pony, but she had never seen anypony like it before.

"Applejack!" Twilight called out to her as the crowd started shoving.

Applejack looked back at the spot, but nothing was there.

That's weird...

Persimmon staggered through the crowd, with Twilight and Applejack following closely behind.

"Honesty, eh?"

Applejack looked around, startled by the sudden voice.

"Who's there?" she demanded.

"No one." The voice cackled slightly.

Applejack turned to her back, to the wave of a crowd passing through her.

"Beg your pardon miss, but might I ask?" the voice continued

"How's your... pink friend?"

Applejack gritted her teeth fiercely. She squinted her eyes through the crowd.

"What do you know about Pinkie Pie?"

Some ponies stared at her like she was insane, but she brushed it off.

"Nothing much. I just visited her that day, though."

The voice laughed a little with sarcasm.

"Shame about the fall. It wasn't... suppose to happen."

Steam fumed through Applejack's ears.

"What did 'cha say?!"

"Oh and Spike, is it? For a dragon, really he is just something with a... low intellect. In other words, perfectly useless!"

"Come out right now!" she shouted in the middle of the road with rage. "Come out so I can teach your sorry little flank a lesson!!"

"APPLEJACK!!"

The orange pony turned to Twilight, whose eyes widened in horror.

"Get Off The Road!!"

Applejack glared at her. "What, Twilight?! He's here! The pony!"

The traffic light turned green.

She spun around, just in time to see a pair of headlights rushing towards her. Behind the wheel was a pony wearing a mask stitched at the lips.

She let out a small gasp.

The car smashed into her, glass shattering as Applejack was thrown into the air.

Pain shot up in her body as she whirled around, falling back down onto the road.

"Celestia!! Applejack!!"

The car raced off without care, without even braking. Its wheels lurched forward as Applejack felt the rubber tyre crunching into her hoof.

She let out a broken, glass-shattering scream.

"Applejack!!" Twilight rushed towards her friend. "Applejack!!!"

The orange pony tried to speak, but no words came out from her mouth, only a small trickle of blood.

She felt her body crumple from pain, searing inside her guts.

Her crushed hoof was completely numb, a small pool of blood already forming at the end.

"Somepony get some help!!" Persimmon shouted to the onlookers.

"Applejack!! Stay with me, you hear me?" Twilight exclaimed in desperation.

Applejack tried to move her mouth. "H...H...He.."

Twilight bit her lip, as tears started flowing from the eyes of both ponies.

"What is it, Applejack? What is it?!"

"H-He... He was... here."

Applejack sputtered and coughed, a slight spray of blood landed on Twilight's body.

"Pl..Please. If... If I don't make it....."

Twilight nodded, her eyes swelling in tears.

"T-Tell... Tell Applebloom... and Big... Big Mac...."

She coughed a little more, as the faint sounds of sirens wailed through the city.

"...I...I'm.... sorry...."

PreviousChapters Next