• Published 16th Nov 2015
  • 838 Views, 11 Comments

CiderCon Chronicles - SSCiderConOfficial



Super Speedy Cider Con reveals the main backstory to our mascots, how they met, and how this family became united as one. Enjoy! Thanks everypony~

  • ...
3
 11
 838

Chapter 14: The Magic of Friendship

CiderCon Chronicles

Chapter 14: The Magic of Friendship

"When you first sent me to Ponyville, I didn't know anything about friendship. I met somepony tonight who was having the same problem -- your sister, Princess Luna! She taught me that one of the best things you can do with friendship is to give it to others, and help them find it themselves! And I'm happy to report that all of Ponyville has learned that even if somepony seems a little intimidating, even scary, when you offer them your friendship, you'll discover a whole new pony underneath." -
"Harmony: The Adventures of the Elements in their Own Words" - Collected by Spike the Dragon

Constable Even-hoof had watched the events unfold around him with the calm detachment that had served him so well throughout his career. He had gotten up from the table and run to help Bramley just like the other townsponies. Unlike them, though, he wasn't rushing blindly into danger. His senses were working in concert to put together the "Big Picture". Everything he heard, saw, and even smelled, brought the picture into sharper focus. It was a technique he'd used time and time again to help him sort out the chaotic situations into which agents of the law often found themselves thrust. Even through the dizzying sequence of events that led to where they were now, he was constantly taking in information and further clarifying his picture.

So now, he hardly needed to hear the changeling's words to know the truth: This changeling was no threat to any of them.

He had seen, with his own eyes, the changeling risk injury to save Bramley. He'd noted the fact that, as obviously powerful as the changeling's form was, had he meant to harm any of the guests, there wouldn't have been anypony there that could've stopped him. He had seen Warm Welcome's reaction to it all. He'd heard the almost imperceptible quaver in the changeling's voice that meant that the changeling was afraid of them.

So, when P'tach had finished, the Constable didn't need time to deliberate like the rest of the townponies did.

He stepped decisively forward. He chose his words so as to let the townsponies see some of the "Big Picture" that he saw.

"Son," he began, "I just saw you risk everything to save a colt you've known for less than a week. That, and the fact that Warm Welcome trusts you, tells me about all I need to know."

The Constable extended a hoof. "Welcome to town."

Moments later, Doc Gladstone came up to exclaim "Whoooo-eeee! I ain't nevah' seen nothin' like that!" Doc mimicked his flight across the yard, and his impact with the tree. "Bzzzzzzz BOOM!"
Doc laughed and, with another "Whoooooo-eee!" for good measure, shook the changelings hoof with enough fervor that it nearly dislocated his shoulder.

Then they were all upon him, a back slapping, hoof shaking, hugging, congratulatory mob.

P'tach reveled in it.

He had expected for the townponies to need time to deliberate, so it had been a shock how quickly the Constable had accepted him. For all of the group to react this way was more than he had ever allowed himself to hope for.

Bramley and Warm Welcome kept their distance for a few minutes, enjoying watching the changeling greet, and be greeted by, his new neighbors.

When the initial clamor had died down a bit, Warm Welcome spoke up. "Well, " she said, gesturing to the changeling, "I guess y'all figured out why I invited y'all here today."

She shrugged. "Surprise!" she said with laughter in her eyes and a grin on her face.

Everypony burst out with laughter, the joy of the moment was infectious.

Doc Gladstone's voice cut through as the laughter was dying out. "Y'all can stay ovah' here n' enjoy yuh'selves, but ah' am a'goin' back to the food!" He nudged the P'tach. "Whatcha' say, son? c'mon n' have some suppah'!"
Doc Gladsone threw his hoof over the changeling's shoulder and led him to the table as the other townsponies,
whooping and laughing all the while, followed.

********************

For everyone involved, it had been the best event that Warm Welcome had ever hosted.

The guests had laughed, told stories, seen something incredible, met a new neighbor, and took home enough food for at least another two meals.

P'tach, for his part, had been amazing. First, by the fact of how spectacularly he had saved Bramley, then by his social interactions. Any trace of the fear and shame that seemed so much a part of him was gone. He sat at the table, talked, laughed, and genuinely charmed the other guests with his personality. It seemed almost impossible that this was the same changeling that had fainted at her approach not so long ago.

Bramley was just simply over the moon. To start, keeping the secret had been agony for the little pony. He had been so excited about P'tach that he wanted everyone to know, and now the time for keeping secrets was over. Most importantly, though, he knew his friend was safe, and wasn't going to have to leave.

A yawn escaping her mouth reminded Warm Welcome of how bone weary she was. She had noticed some time ago how quiet it had gotten upstairs, and assumed that Bramley and P'tach(or just "the colts" as she found herself referring to them) had finally played themselves to sleep. Determined not to break her cardinal rule and leave dishes overnight, she attacked the last few with fervor, and finished the lot.

On her way to bed she quietly opened the door to Bramley's room a crack to check on the colts. Sure enough they were both asleep on the floor, sprawled out in seemingly uncomfortable positions, surrounded by toys and comics. She quietly opened the closet door and retrieved the spare blankets. Quietly, she unfolded one and placed it over Bramley. The colt was sleeping so heavily that he didn't stir. She unfolded the next and placed it over P'tach.

To her surprise, he opened his eyes a little, seemed to register her, mumbled something that caused a sob to well up in her throat, and slumped back to sleep.

Warm Welcome fought back tears going to her room as she replayed the words over and over. She laid in her bed for several minutes and sobbed into a pillow as she thought about the words.

Three simple words. Words of affirmation. Words of thanks. Words of love.

The simple phrase:

"Thank you, Mother."

********************