• Published 15th Nov 2015
  • 3,650 Views, 148 Comments

Monster-bumps - Napalm monster



Two new kids move to Canterlot high. They seem normal, except one of them is hiding a secret. And the Rainbooms wanna know why? They'll soon regret it when they find out what it was (Spoiler for the new goosebumps movie)

  • ...
6
 148
 3,650

Chapter 10: Bug and Car Chase.

Author's Note:

As always, comments and feedback are welcome.

Ralph and the girls sat there in the truck and cheered over there victory. They had entered the mines, and against all odds: They found the pen, beaten Dead and his gang of monster. Now they had the pen.

Mission accomplish!

"Yeah!" Rainbow cheered, pumping her fist in the air, "Heros one, Monsters zero!"

Sunset then turned to Ralph now holding his pen securely in his hands. Finally they could end the monsters rampage.

"All right. So start writing. Did you forget we’re in some kind of a hurry?"

He looked up at her, still clutching the pen, “Okay, but what’s the story?”

"What else?" Sunset asked, confused.

"Yeah, Monsters lose. Good guys win. The end!” Rainbow replied hastily.

“No," he said, annoyed. “It doesn’t work unless it’s a real story with twists and turns and frights and surprises.”

"I don’t know about all that y'all," Applejack said, "But to me, that seems like a whole lot to come up with in the next few minutes before we run into another monster tonight.”

Ralph sighed, "We have to go somewhere secluded where I can start writing, but somewhere DeadBones wouldn’t suspect me going."

The girls then began pondering, they mulled over which place would be safe against an army of monsters. They kept contemplating, until Pinkie voiced her opinion where to go.

"Ooo! Ooo!" Pinkie squealed excitedly, "How about the school?"

"You think that'll work Pinkie dear?" Rarity asked, arching an eyebrow.

"Wait, it's perfect. I hate school, so that'll be the last place Dead will check in the whole town.............I hope." He whispered that last part.

"It's worth a try." Sunset said, "We can't afford Dead finding us."

The group nodded. They had a plan now. All that was left to end this nightmare was go back to Canterlot High, let Ralph do his magic, and everything will be okay. This whole ordeal would be over.

Once settled down, Ralph grew silent and began contemplating the story over in his head.

'Okay how should it start? 'Sighing loudly, a boy walked over to a large school. He wore a black hoodie, black jeans, black sneakers, had jet black spikey hair that was darker than the night, and a rather sullen demeanor, with something of a permanent scowl. He was short. Around middle school age.' '

He continued.

' 'Next to him stood a-'

Ralph's musing was cut off when Rainbow grabbed his arm suddenly, surprising the young writer slightly.

"Hey what are you-" Ralph was cut off by Rainbow once more.

"Relax squirt, I'm bandaging your arm." She replied pulling out some bandages Fluttershy gave her.

He arched a brow and stared at his arm remembering how Killer Frosty grazed him with an icicle when he pushed Rainbow to the ground to avoid icicles being plunged into her back and killing her slowly. All this time he didn't even feel the pain, possibly due to the adrenaline of getting chased by monsters. He saw a small gash on his forearm. The cut wasn't deep but it looked non-critical enough to be easily treated. Ralph glanced up at Rainbow as she began wrapping his arm for him. And she was smiling.

"Hey look," Rainbow began in a soft voice, "I'm sorry for opening your books and I'm sorry you got hurt to save me."

For the second time tonight Ralph eyes widened in surprise at her unexpectedly concede and apologizing to him. He really underestimated this girl. He had taken her as a spoiled, unfeeling, arrogant girl who didn't take anyone else's feelings into account. All his life he was surrounded by those type of arrogant people and seeing a girl like Rainbow apalogize openly. It made him feel strange, it was almost refreshing to see this kind of friendly demeanor. Now he felt really bad for judging her so poorly. His misanthrope personality getting in the way and all.

"It-it's alright, aslong as your okay." Ralph replied, his voice losing its hostility and usual sulk.

Rainbow took notice of the change of his voice and smiled at the smaller boy, "So no hard feelings? I'm sorry I was being uncool earlier."

"I'm sorry I acted like a dick," Ralph admitted breaking eye contact.

Rainbow then stuck her fist out and urged him to bump once his arm was fully wrapped in bandages. Ralph and Rainbow pressed each other's fist, making a fist-bump before retracting their arms away.

Ralph frown then slightly curled to form a semblance of a minor smile. His frown was still there, but the corners were slightly curled up. Rainbow was able to spot it and felt the gloomy aura subside slightly. It didn't feel as depressing as before, but it was still present. Just not entirely depressing.

Meanwhile, Aiden and Rarity were having their own conversation. Rarity was regaling the green haired girl of their previous exploits and how they saved their town more then once. Aiden listened in awe as she couldn't help but smile at all the times the girls saved their school and possibly the entire world from destruction. She especially liked the story when the girls formed the Rainbooms and stopped three mean, evil sirens.

"You all defeated sirens?" Aiden repeated, earning a nod from the fashionista.

"Yes darling, with the help of our friend, Twilight of course." Rarity nodded, her eyes closed.

"Whoa! And you all have magic?" Aiden asked.

"Yes, but the magic only works if all of us are together, including Twilight. If she was here then we could show that short, skinny juvenile, Dead not to threaten us around like he did."

"I don't know," Ralph muttered, overhearing the conversation, "Even with magic, my monster can survive anything. They keep coming back angrier and stronger. Like I said, the books are the only thing that can stop them permanently."

Suddenly everyone heard loud buzzing filled the air. Everyone paused and looked around the truck.

"Either I'm hearing things or does everyone else hear a buzzing sound?" Rainbow asked, looking around for the noise.

"Oh my!" Rarity squealed in mild disgust, "I hope to heavens a mosquito didn't get inside!"

"That's sounds too big to be mosquito." Applejack then turned her head slowly to side mirror.

In her mirror was a giant car-sized bee flying after them, with a large cloud of bees following the much larger bee behind.

"We have company!" Applejack shouted swerving so the giant bee would not hit the van.

Ralph and the others were tossed around in the back as Applejack swerved down the streets and dodging the giant insect.

"Watch out!" Sunset cried out as the car almost ran into a sign post.

Fluttershy yelped and closed her eyes waiting for the impact, but thankfully Applejack quickly spun the wheel to its maximum limit, and turned the wheel avoiding a nasty collision. The giant bee then descended over the car, its large body slamming on the roof as it jolted the vehicle sideways. It raised it large stinger attempting to impale someone. It heaved its stinger down which bursted through the inside of the car inches away from Ralph's face, his eye widened to the size of dinner plates and remained deathly silent as all color drained from his face, he let out a loud gulp, gazing nervously at the black stinger infront of him, which could've been over his head. The bee pulled out its stinger and tried a different tactic, the Queen Bee clambered forward and landed on the hood of the truck blocking he farmers view as the others screamed at the sight of the giant female queen. It was go gross for Rarity as she squealed the loudest among everyone seeing the bug so close.

"Brakes! Hit the brakes! Hit the brakes!" Sunset repeated, terrified as she sat on the passenger seat next to AppleJack.

AppleJack obliged, AppleJack gripped the steering wheel trying to shake the bug off, swerving left and right. Bracing herself, AppleJack mashed the brake, sending the giant Queen Bee flying forward and under the car. Her view now clear, she pressed the accelerator and the car jolted, everyone bounced when they ran over the massive bee, hopefully crushing it under the tires of the pickup truck.

The giant bee laid in a heap, a pool of ink surrounding her. Her antennas were bended and crooked, her wings were shriveled and crumpled up. And her legs were all sprawled, tire marks over her body. Seconds later the ink seeped back within the seemingly dead bee before its wings unfurled. Sustaing no damage. It's antennas straightened up. The bee shifted and heaved itself up and stared with its compound eyes the fleeting car.

The bee skittered to its feet and made a string of angry clicking sounds before using it healed wings and fly after them.

"Oh no!" Pinkie said, everyone turned to see the angry bee return, "It's back!"

The bee landed on the car once more, making it jolt before it picked the back of the car up using its foreleg, middle leg, and hindleg. Everyone screamed inside as the car was tilting forward.

The giant bee began heaving the car up, much to everyone's distress. It began scraping the side of the car more as it tried pulling them up. The mass of buzzing insects following their queen, the humming getting louder.

"I got an idea!" Ralph yelled, "Does anyone have sugar or honey."

"I have both!" Pinkie stated pulling out packets of sugar from her hairs, and a large honey pot offering it to Ralph.

Ralph had half a mind to ask why she conveniently had sweets in her hair, but the other half of his mind was more focused on staying alive. Ralph hastily grabbed the honey, he then opened the window, and saw a giant billboard sign on the side of the road. Using all the strength in his arm he lobbed the pot over to the billboard succefully. Honey splashed against the surface of the billboard, the yellow sticky substance made a giant splat which caught the Queen Bees attention, she jerked her head up and stared at the honey on the upcoming billboard, entranced and drawn to it like it was beckoning it over. The Queen Bee began drooling at the sight of the golden honey.

"Dinner time!" Ralph yelled, when the honey made contact with the billboard.

The queens antenna shivered as it picked up the sweet scent and allure of honey where Ralph threw it. Unable to neglect its insect instinct, she dropped the car and the giant bee had a hard time slowling down its wings, it tried to halt but it accidentally slammed into the surface of the billboard. Its bulky head crashed through making a large hole it was now stuck on.

The queen bee tried to peel itself out, but the honey on the billboard prevented it from moving its giant, huge body. The honey also was sticky enough to keep the bee trapped and unable to move for a while. It hummed in anger, and just stayed there trapped to the honey while the Shiverribas and Rainbooms drove off.

"Wooohoo!" Pinkie cheered.

Everyone was cheering as they inwardly sighed in relief.

"That may have been the easiest monster we faced tonight." AppleJack said, her hands clutching the steering wheel.

Rarity turned to Ralph anxiously and gave him an uneasy look, "Darling, Uhm, by any chance you didn't write more books with bugs in them did you?"

"Oh!" Ralph suddenly jumped slightly from his seat and chuckled nervously,

"Weeeeeell..."

"What is that thing!?" Rainbow yelled as she cut off Ralph abruptly.

Ralph turned and gasped.

"It's the Zilther beast!"

The Zilther looked back and saw with its middle eye the approaching pickup truck. It then held up its crystal rock and created a small dark purple sphere of pure dark energy surrounded by a series of white rings that orbit the main sphere. Everyone’s eyes widened as the Zilther pulled back and prepared to launch it at them. AppleJack then stomped on the accelerator and the girls yelled at the upcoming energy ball of darkness.

The car managed to dodge it, the blast making a huge crater behind the vehicle and sped under the Zilther Beast, the car didn't stop and drove as fast as it could carry the girls away from the purple three-headed, creature. The Zilther Beast turned around but when it already spun around, the car was long gone.

"Look out!" Fluttershy pointed at two people standing in the middle of the road right in front of their car. Applejack swerved hard to the left, but it was too late. They rammed straight into them…and straight through them, into a telephone pole.

They screamed as the car made contact with the pole and the metal crunched and squealed. The car’s hood crumpled around the pole. The people they swerved to avoid soon began glowing, they became transparent in the moonlight before disappearing into the air like mist.

Ghosts.

"Is everyone alright?” Applejack asked. Everyone breathed and panted heavily. Scared and shaking out of panic but all in one piece.

Too bad they couldn’t say the same for the car.

"What in heavens name is a telephone pole doing in the middle of the street?” Rarity complained.

"Uhm, guys…" Pinkie pointed at the front window "I don’t think that’s a telephone pole girls."

They looked up and up, and up. The pole stretched at least twenty feet high. Pinkie was right, It wasn’t a pole at all. It was something else entirely.

It was a leg … a giant, green, glowing insect leg the size of a telephone pole stretching up attached to a sixty-foot-tall praying mantis!

A praying mantis that was bowing its head in their direction, making disturbing clicking noises. It's compound eyes hovering over them all as they began screaming loudly at the grotesque eye just gazing at them closely.

"I don’t remember writing about a giant praying mantis!" Ralph yelled more in confusion than panic, as the rest of them screamed their heads off.

The mantis spat out a large glob of green mucus at them. Mantis gunk sprayed and splattered against the windshield, encasing them in the dark.

"Right." Ralph murmmurred sharply, "Now I remember."

"Get us out of here," Sunset yelled to Applejack. "Now!"

Applejack threw the car into reverse, and then into drive. They sped away from the mantis. They could hear it pounding concrete behind them, the road cracking beneath its massive weight. AJ swerved back and forth between its gigantic legs.

"They’ve all turned against me!” Ralph complained. “It’s like Frankenstein’s monster turning on Frankenstein! I give them life, and how do they repay me!? By trying to end mine!!"

The pickup truck made a sharp turn at the next corner heading back in to town, while the the Mutant Mantis accidentally crashed into the nearest building, having trouble turning corner, it shrugged off the the debris and continued chasing the Shiverribas and Rainbooms. The Mutant Mantis then spat more green, sticky fluids at the car.

"Look out!" Pinkie yelled.

AppleJack turned the wheel and swerved the car in a zig-zag motion avoiding making contact with the globs of green mucus. She kept spinning the wheel avoiding getting hit, while her boot kept pressing against the accelerator. It was putting much strain on the country girl having to avoid a giant bug, spitting mucus at them, while turning the wheel frantically. Everyone in the back was startled at the sudden sharp turns she kept making.

The Mutant Mantis leaped up using its powerful wings and landed infront of the car. Everyone screamed and watched it raised its claw ready to strike the car. AppleJack spun the wheel and dodged the claw as it came down cracking the road instead of the car.

"Eww! Eww!" Rarity squealed, "I hate bugs!"

"Don't be so insensitive!" Fluttershy yelled defensively, "Not all bugs are mean! They're actually kinda cute."

Rarity rolled her eyes, "Fluttershy, that's not really helping our situation!"

"Oops," She muttered softly and hunched her shoulders slightly, "...sorry."

The Mutant Mantis was gaining speed and kept trying to swipe them with its large claws. It hissed before bringing its claws down inches near the trunk of the car, only making large cracks on the road as the car kept dodging every swipe it attempted to make at them. The car kept swerving as the giant glowing insect kept trying to puncture the car.

“It’s above us!” Aiden cried as the mantis hissed again.

Thick splats of mantis mucus rained down on the sunroof and on the streets.

"No! it's behind us!" Fluttershy shouted as another leg stomped down closer, inches away from the car’s trunk.

"It’s everywhere!" Pinkie cried out in despair.

"Everyone shut yer trap, or I will pull this car over right now!" AppleJack warned. She was bluffing of course, cause who would turn around when they're was a giant insect trying to eat them?

Instead of pulling over, she sped up, unfortunately she didn't see the curb in time, the car bounced over it and into a supermarket parking lot, they barreled hard, the car landed on the roof. Skidding across the parking lot while everyone screamed and held on to their seats tight. They stopped when they slammed into a parked car. Only their seat belt kept them from flying through the windshield.

Air bags exploded into their faces, and the car filled with smoke. Everyone quickly unbuclked their seatbelts and dropped down, quickly they crawled out on their hands and knees, fast as they could out of the overturned car, as the Mutant Mantis closed in. The loud footfalls signified it was approaching nearer towards the group.

"In here!" Aiden cried.

Everyone threw themselves through the supermarket door just as the mantis poked its head out of a large brier. It spotted the car it was chasing overturned and lumbered towards it. The glowing bug snatched the car by its hood and tore off the roof using its claws. It screeched in frustration when it discovered the occupants had already left, then angrily tossed the car across the parking lot.

Ralph panted and ducked beneath the checkout counter, thinking it could have been them in that car.

“Why’d you have to come up with the most bizarre creatures?” Rainbow whined. "Why, Ralph? Why?!"

“Just have a knack for it, I guess.” Ralph replied quietly, he sounded almost proud.

The mantis leaped toward the overturned car and stomped on it, crushing it to a pancake. It's legs crushing the car making glass pop out and shatter on the parking lot.

"My Wagoneer!” Applejack cried. She seemed more dismayed by this than anything what had happened all night. “Granny's gonna kill me."

AJ then turned to Ralph and glared daggers at him, then jabbed her index roughly into his chest.

"You owe me a new car." She growled lightly.

Fortunately, the mutant mantis had a liking for cars, and the parking lot was full of them. It hopped from car to car, having fun shaking them and rattling profusely in the air like little toys before crushing them flat.

It continued to the next car and stomped on it with its multiple legs before picking it up between its claws and tossing it aside and moving on to the next one.

It might have been playing, or it might just have been looking for them. Either way the group was relieved its attention was on something else other than them.