• ...
8
 129
 5,898

Twily Isn't Sick!

Twilight Sparkle, age nine, had just moved into the castle of her mentor the Sun Princess Celestia. Her accommodations were lavish. She had a large bedroom with space for three book cases (and yes, she needed three book cases.) Her Smarty Pants doll, given to her by her BBBFF, sat upon her pillow. And the bed! Such luxury had never been seen by the young student. It was a canopy bed with silken sheets and several comfortable pillows stuffed with pegasus down. When she sank into the mattress, it perfectly conformed to her body. The ceiling was gorgeous, showing a lovely mural of the day and night sky. In addition, her big brother was a royal guard and, thus, was always around. That way she never got lonely for home.

And if she did get lonely for home she could visit her family any time she wanted and her family visited her frequently. Her baby dragon Spike had his own basket at the foot of her bed which he was currently curled up in. Her teacher, Celestia, was kind and saw to her every need. She gave her toys and read her bedtime stories and was always patient with her even when she made mistakes. Given all this, Twilight was very happy and content. There was only one problem this fine morning. Twilight sat up and sneezed. Her covers blew away from the force of the sneeze. Her eyes narrowed. She had nearly finished her unit on Starswirl the Bearded. There was no way she was going to get sick and miss it. Besides, she wasn't sick. She just had a little sneeze that was all. She hopped from the bed and a second sneeze sent her sprawling on her tummy. She growled and stood back up. Some early morning exercises would surely make her feel better. Like Celestia had taught her, she began to stretch. Then she breathed, drawing up energy from her root chakra and leading it towards the crown chakra, which jutted out into her horn. As the magic within her stirred and harmonized with the sun she felt her normal burst of early morning energy.

She stretched back her hind legs and released the energy as a breath. As she breathed she noticed a tickle in her throat. She acknowledged it, chose to ignore it, and lifted up her hooves in salutation to the sun. She chanted, allowing energy to come up from her throat chakra and infuse the words of the chant with power. Her unusually dry and slightly sore throat chakra. It was a prayer, one sung by her ancestors as they journeyed across the plains of the young world. It was a chant that filled her whole soul, put her in touch with her roots, with the Divine.

The meditation was interrupted as she sneezed again. This sneeze sent her sprawling on her back and she kicked her hooves into the air. This woke up Spike who stood up from his crib and stretched. He toddled out of the crib, gurgled and put his hands on Twilight's face, concern visible on his babyish face. Twilight sat up and patted his spines. "I'm okay, Spike. Just a sneeze."

Spike cooed in delight at the spine rubs. Shining Armor, looking powerful in his golden armor, walked in and gave a strange look at his younger sister. "You look sick."

Twilight stood and used a napkin to blow her nose. "I am not."

Shining put a hoof on her forehead. "Kiddo, you have a fever."

Twilight rolled her eyes. "I've been in my ridiculously warm bed all night. Of course I'm a little warm."

"Hey, didn't Moondancer get a cold last week?" Spike asked.

"Yes and she was out all week too. No way did I get a cold from her."

"There was a cold going around the barracks last week too." Shining said. "Look, I'll tell the cooks to make you some tomato soup like you like and you can stay in bed till you get better."

Twilight pouted. "I don't wanna stay in bed. Staying in bed is boring."

"It'll be better than making yourself worse."

"But I don't want to miss today's lesson!" Twilight said, stomping her hoof.

Shining sighed. Twilight was the only filly he knew that would go to class even when she had a perfect excuse not to. "I'm sure Celestia will let you have a sick day."

"But I don't wanna sick day. And I'm not sick!" She stomped her hooves again.

"Alright, alright. You're not sick. You're still sick though."

Twilight swatted him in the face with a pillow. Shining caught it in his magic and swatted her back with it. "Fine, fine. Goodness, you're cranky before you have your orange juice."

Twilight gasped. "Orange juice! Shiny, you're a genius!" She gave him a big hug which Shining returned before she ran off. Then she ran back and ushered Spike onto her back. Shining rolled his eyes, affectionately ruffled her mane and followed her to the cafeteria.

Since today was the day she had her private lessons she was eating in the castle cafeteria with several servants, dignitaries, nobles and other guests. Like always she had chosen a seat away from the others. Spike crawled off of her back. Twilight had gotten a glass of orange juice and a bowl of strawberries, tangerines, apples and oranges. She'd also gotten a sapphire for Spike (they catered to Dragons.) Spike began to gobble up the sapphire. Twilight gobbled up her fruit bowl.

"This healthy meal should be enough to make me feel better." Twilight said.

Shining sat down next to her with his own tray. "I thought you weren't sick."

"I won't be after this."

After breakfast, she hurried to Celestia's personal chambers to begin her lesson. Shining took Spike to his caretaker, the old stallion that also cared for Philomena. Celestia was sitting before a fire on her cushion.

"Good morning, my faithful student." The solar monarch greeted.

"Good morning, Princess." Twilight said, then another violent sneeze sent her sprawling backwards.

"Twilight!" Celestia jumped up and helped Twilight to her feet. Twilight wiped at her nose. Celestia levitated over a napkin that Twilight blew her nose with.

"Are you feeling alright, Twilight?" Celestia asked.

"Never better Princess!" Twilight shouted, plastering a grin on her face. The grin came apart when she started coughing. Lighting up her horn, Celestia scanned her student.

"I'm afraid you have unicorn flu, Twilight." Celestia told her. "Cough, sore throat and violent sneezes. It should clear up in a few days, but you shouldn't be around other unicorns for a while."

"Oh, darn it!" Twilight sighed. She looked at her teacher with wide, pleading eyes. "You're not a unicorn so you can't get it right?"

"I'm an alicorn. I don't get ordinary illnesses."

"So, we can still have lessons?" Twilight asked, hope in her voice.

"You really should be resting and somewhere warm."

"Your chambers are warm."

"Well, that is true." Celestia conceded. "But are you sure you don't want to take a sick day?"

Twilight shook her head. "I want to finish up on the Starswirl unit."

"Very well." Celestia said, smiling. She laid back down on her cushion and lifted up a wing. Twilight hesitated for a few minutes before snuggling under her. Celestia wrapped her up in the wing and held her close.

"You don't have to take notes for this lesson."

"No notes?"

"Nope. I'm just going to tell you some stories."

Celestia's wing was warm and soft as it settled over Twilight. Twilight couldn't resist snuggling closer to the sun goddess. Celestia began to tell her stories of the great wizard. Not only his accomplishments, but also amusing tales from his life that weren't in the history books. How he had a collection of socks he had gathered from his ex-wives that he vindictively held onto. How two young sisters who were his students enjoyed pranking him. How he turned the tables on them and pranked them back. Once he put a bucket of ice water above their door timed to fall when they walked in the room. The ensuing prank war was ended by Princess Platinum herself. Twilight listened, enraptured by her teacher's tales. Lunchtime came and Celestia ordered some tomato soup for Twilight and sandwiches for herself. Twilight settled back beneath Celestia's wing, soup held in her magic. By dinnertime she was getting sleepy again. Her lesson had long ended and now they were just talking. Soon, Twilight fell asleep against her. Celestia called for the guard outside her door. Shining Armor walked in.

"Plan worked." Celestia said. "She got her rest and her lesson."

Shining nodded. "How is she feeling?"

"Still a bit sick. Highly contagious, but you already got unicorn flu so you can't get it again. She's all yours, Private."

Shining walked over and scooped Twilight up, giving her a little kiss. She wrapped her arms around him and they walked from the room.