• Published 20th Nov 2015
  • 2,064 Views, 120 Comments

What a Wonderful Life - Dustchu



Life in the Columbia Commonwealth is a strange and new experience, especially for a butter yellow pegasus named Fluttershy.

  • ...
6
 120
 2,064

Getting Settled In - The Next Day

Author: Dustchu

Editor: Bendy




One day passed since Fluttershy had left her home in Equestria, to go live in the commonwealth for the Interspecies Friendship Project. One whole day, she had spent in the United States, away from her friends, family, and Angel Bunny. She would have liked to bring him over, but she was scared he would get hurt, or worse...

Eaten.

As of right now, Fluttershy was taking another look see around her bedroom. From what she knew, it was The Master bedroom, quite spacious, had a nice big closet and nice wallpaper plastered on the walls. She sat on the floor, pulling over her saddlebags and opening them up, she hadn't brought any clothes, cause Ponies always went around in the nude, and she didn't think she would be going to any events that required formal wear. Even if she had to, she'd need to find someone to make her a dress, she wasn't sure how well human dressmakers were with their craft.

Inside of her saddlebags, she had brought the simple things. A toothbrush, backup toothbrush, some oddities like soap and personal hygiene items, a few books she had been given by Twilight for her stay. Most of the books were somewhat detailed texts about what Equestria knew about humans, their culture and so on. She figured she might give it a quick read sometime later in the day, after all. Fluttershy had no idea how long she would be staying here in this country, and she might have to learn new things.

Sighing softly to herself, she picked up her bag and headed into the bathroom. This room was far different than the bathroom she had at her cottage, it was larger, and had many devices sitting about for everyday use. The mirror above the sink was a bit high up, but there was a sort of stand that was placed in front of it for her to use so she could use them both. The shower was very odd to her, she was used to tubs and such, but the shower was large enough to fit her, and three other ponies, and was enclosed in glass.

This was all so new to her, and while she was a bit scared to find out what else she had to deal with, she figured that everything would be okay in the end. After all, she had a nice human to help her out.

*Crash*

Speaking of which.

After quickly depositing her bag's contents - certain items that belonged in a bathroom of course -she exited the room and returned her bag by the closet before deciding to see what the human was up to. It sounded like he was having trouble with something, she wasn't sure what though. But judging from the cursing noises, it was something frustrating.

As she exited the room, she took a moment to admire the hallway decor, which mostly consisted of a few potted plants like flowers, and even a few small trees, and some paintings of sunsets, beaches and other pretty locations she wouldn't mind visiting if she got the chance. Beaches were one of her favorite places to go to, and the mare wondered if there were any good ones in America?

Maybe I could ask Samuel? She smiled, humming to herself as she made her way to the stairs, and descended them into the foyer. She could hear Samuel cursing in the kitchen, "Samuel?" She called out to him, and as she did she heard something fall to the floor.

"Oh, Miss Fluttershy?" Samuel asked as the pony entered the kitchen, when she did she saw the soldier was standing in front of a large pod like device in the kitchen, sitting in a small closet. A small vertical window revealed a round white object inside, what it was she didn't know. "Did I wake you?"

A shake of her head, "No, I was already awake." Fluttershy replied, looking at the device Samuel must have been messing with. "Are you having problems with something? Maybe I can help."

The man huffed, sitting down in a bright red chair sitting by the countertop. "I was just trying to set up that danged thing," He said, jerking a thumb towards the device he was messing with. "It's a Mister Handy Service Pod, and most homes have them. Seems the big wigs wanted you to have one of these as well." Reaching over to the table, he picked up a small piece of paper. "Top of the Line Type I Mister Handy personal butler bot." He read off, turning it over and looking at the back. "These things are expensive."

Fluttershy gulped, "Um... how, expensive are they?" She wondered, she hoped if the bot ever broke, she wouldn't have to replace it out of her own pocket. She didn't have any money, as she left her bits at home. But then again, she had no idea what a bot was.

"Mmm, last time I checked, they were around..." Samuel looked up at the ceiling, tapping his chin as he set the paper down. "Ten thousand dollars?" At Fluttershy's quizzical look, he remembered she probably didn't know the conversion rate was for bits to USD. "Oh right, um... conversion rate would be..." He muttered a few things to himself, before snapping his fingers. "Around, probably five to eight thousand bits?"

The mare blanched, E-eight thousand?! "O-oh my..." She barely whispered, shivering slightly. "Are... are you sure it's that much?"

Noticing her unease, Samuel assumed that was a lot. "Yes I'm sure, but don't worry, like I said before, for this project, the Government is paying for pretty much everything. Water, power, food, and some extra spending money for you to in case something catches your fancy." Samuel explained, turning back to the Mister Handy. "Now to turn this on." He stood up once more, walking back to the pod and began fiddling around with it.

After a few moments, Samuel finally found out why he couldn't get it to turn on...

He missed the activation button that was clearly on the side.

After hitting it, the pod door open, shifting inward on itself before sliding away into the back, revealing said Mister Handy. It was odd looking to Fluttershy, it almost looked like a dead spider, it had a round pristine silverish body with three arms curled up against itself. But then it sprang to life, nearly giving Fluttershy a heart attack. Below its body she saw a burst of flame shooting out, and to her shock it started to fly! Its arms extended outward, and she saw three smaller metal arms extend from the top of its body with a small round lense of sort on each one. The three arms it had on its lower body each had something different on them, each one that scared her quite a bit.

A pincer like hand.

A very large buzz saw that whirred.

And something that looked like it could spew flames.

Samuel grinned, "finally! Jeez, so much trouble."

The Mister Handy whirred, hovering in the kitchen before speaking. "Hello sir! Might I say how wonderful it is to meet my new caretakers, I am here to tend to your every need!"

"So Miss Fluttershy, what do you think?"

...

...

*Thud*

"I dare say, that equine has fainted!" The bot chimed in, as Samuel face palmed.

"Oh jeez."


-ooo000=+=000ooo-
A Few Minutes Later


Fluttershy woke up to Samuel shaking her gently, and the sounds of the robot suggesting they call a vet. She was confused of course, why would she need a vet? Blinking her eyes, the mare slowly sat up and gave her head a dainty shake before looking up at Samuel, who was giving her a concerned look in return.

"Are you okay? I didn't think seeing a bot would do that to ya." He admitted, rubbing the back of his head as the bot continued to hover nearby.

Fluttershy shook her head. "I-it's fine." She told him as the bot hovered closer to her, making her turn to him with a curious yet somewhat fearful gaze.

"Dreadfully sorry madam!" The bot apologized, and Fluttershy had a hard time reading its face... seeing how it didn't exactly have one, so she couldn't tell if he meant it or not. "I was unaware you were my new caretaker, and it would seem I frightened you a great deal, please accept my humblest apologies." He asked in a quiet tone.

Fluttershy looked him over, given that he had a metal body it was very hard to read him, she couldn't exactly feel anything from him. Her instincts told her, there were no feelings. But she pushed that aside, instead smiling gently and replying. "It's... it's okay, I-I'm sure you're not all bad."

Seemingly more chipper, the bot perked up. "Quite the opposite madam! I am your personal assistent, tending to your every need from cleaning up the house, to cooking you breakfast in the morning!" He told her. "I can also do laundry, fix up any appliance, mend clothing, tend to any garden you wish to plant, moderate animal care, and if needed I am able to dispense five bottles of water a day and tell jokes!"

Fluttershy perked up when she heard animal care, maybe he wasn't all that bad if he knew how to take care of animals. "Oh my, that's quite a list you have there... um, if I May ask... who are you?" She said, holding out her hoof. "M-my name is... uh, Fluttershy." She introduced herself, it wouldn't hurt to get to know him before he made any final decisions.

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance madam," The bot started, taking her hoof in his pincer claws. It felt cold against her hoof, and she suppressed a shudder. "I am your personal assistent, Wadsworth, at your service." He then gave a little curt bow... well... as much a bow as a robot can give, anyway.

"Oh, well... it's nice to meet you Wadsworth." She smiled again, pondering why she needed a robot all the while.


-ooo000=+=000ooo-
Later


After talking a bit with Wadsworth, Fluttershy decided to give the house a look around, might as well, considering she might be living here for the foreseeable future. She left Wadsworth in the capable hands of Samuel as she left to explore the house, to admiring the decor mostly and see what all lie within. So far she had seen a few nice plants, adding to her checklist of plants that needed water, and some nice paintings. She had gone through the kitchen for a bit, finding it had a larger than normal fridge that contained some food supplies for both her and samuel, most of which consisted of milk, eggs, butter, bread, and some meat.

She didn't like that, but she understood that humans were omnivorous.

There was also a large stove, a spacious counter that went from the stove to the window, on top of it were some smaller appliances, a coffee maker, microwave and some dish holders which held some nice looking glass plates with a floral pattern on them. The cupboards held just that... cups, some more dishes, and utensils, among other things needed in a kitchen.

She had looked through some of the other rooms, such as the garage outside which had an abundance of tools and gardening supplies in it. The tools were unknown to her, and after a talk with Samuel, he told her they were for working on vehicles or the appliances around the house. She understood... sort of. The two bathrooms were well stocked with fresh towels and various soaps and shampoos she hadn't heard of before, the kitchen had plenty of food so they wouldn't starve, the other bedrooms were a bit smaller, one being occupied by Samuel and the other being a guest room.

The living room she was in as of now was large, and she wondered if humans liked their houses large. She spotted a comfy looking couch situated against the wall, colored a nice baby blue color that reminded her of Pinkie Pie's eyes, and in front of it was a small coffee table, with a nice comfy looking lazy chair on either side, all of them were facing a television which was currently off. Deciding to see what was on it, she cantered over to the device and looked for a way to turn it on.

She saw a series of knobs on it, five to be exact. She saw on that said on... Well... I guess that's it, silly me. She chided herself as she flicked the switch to the right, turning on the tv. It popped up with a burst of static, startling her slightly into moving away from it. The TV started out as static, before it cleared up into a picture, specifically one of the human soldiers near a large fence in a desert.

"Tensions arise along the American Mexican border today, as more protesters arrived just last night to protest the increase in American soldiers patrolling their borders." A human female reporter spoke, holding up a microphone as soldiers in the background indeed patrolled on one side of the fence, while hundreds of people on the other side all held up signs and yelled. "Due to the increase in personnel, the Mexican government has asked for the US to cease all operations inside its country, however the President has given no comment on whether or not this will happen."

Fluttershy watched the exchange between the soldiers and civilians, pondering why the US had so many soldiers along the border. What was going on there? She didn't know, she just hoped it wasn't going to be bad.

*Knock knock knock*

"We have visitors!" Wadsworth called out, almost excitedly.

"Yes, yes we do." Samuel replied to the bot from within the kitchen, his tone deadpan. "Brilliant deduction Wadsworth."

"Thank you sir!"

Fluttershy chuckled before getting up and turning off the tv, and made her way to the door. She wondered who was visiting, she didn't know anyone, yet. Maybe its a neighbor? Once she reached the door, she reared up on her hind legs and opened the door before spotting who it was.

It was a tall man, well dressed in a nice suit and fedora and holding a clipboard. Striking blue eyes peered out from under his hat as he flashed a million dollar smile the mare's way.

"Hello there!" The man greeted in a chipper tone. "I'm from Vault-Tec, and I'd like to ask you something."

Fluttershy gulped, he was very tall, almost taller than Samuel. "Y-yes?" She asked, wondering what he wanted as Samuel and Wadsworth popped up from behind him.

"I'd like to ask you, if you would like to secure yourself a place in one of our fabulous vaults." He said, still smiling as Fluttershy felt something in her stomach twist up.

A V-Vault? She thought, not saying anything. The pegasus stood there in the doorway, unsure of what she should do. Looking over to Samuel, she saw him with a thoughtful look on his face. Suddenly he looked over at Fluttershy, and he gave a shrug. Gulping again. she turned to the man. "I... I suppose, I'd like to hear more about them?"

The man seemed to smile even wider, and Fluttershy wondered if he had any distant relation to Pinkie Pie. "Great! May I come in?"

Moving to the side, he moved past her and to the living room with Samuel following him. Fluttershy soon followed them both, closing the door behind her and wondering if she made a tiny mistake all the while.

She'll soon find out.

Author's Note:

Big thanks to Bendy for editing this tripe and making it better. Thank you man, so much!

Sorry for the late update, been going through some... serious crap as of late.

What a lovely month this has been~ :pinkiecrazy:

ENJOY THIS!
:heart:
~I love you all~

Comments ( 33 )

Vault 101?

7062021
Hahaha, I won't say much... but.
static.planetminecraft.com/files/resource_media/screenshot/1233/Vault_101_entrance_ext_3258835.jpg

7062088
I take it that's a reference I didn't know about? :rainbowkiss:

"I'd like to ask you, if you would like to secure yourself a place in one of our fabulous vaults."

O shit.

7077199
Indeed my friend, o shit is an understatement.
:pinkiecrazy:

my only question is how is Fluttershy going to be in the wasteland, :pinkiegasp: she's going to get a pet Deathclaw I just know it.:rainbowkiss:

7096280
Who knows how the wasteland will treat her, hehehe.
Assuming she lives that long :P

7096321 true, but still want to see her with a pet Deathclaw.

7096334
You're not the only one :rainbowlaugh:

7096386 one of the only reason's why I would like to see that is from a two panel comic I 'have?'.

7096403
Comic ehh? I am curious now :pinkiegasp:

7096443 found it on Facebook. I'll post it on here if I have it tomorrow okay?

7096470
Okay, I shall await this comic :rainbowkiss:

7096478 that is if I have it, let me check.:derpyderp1::raritywink:

7096478 yea, going to have to get it off Facebook,:twilightsheepish: sorry.:fluttershysad:

7096494
7096655
Hahaha, its alright, no worries friend :raritywink:

7097395 okay I was wrong, it's three panels long and here is the link:

https://derpibooru.org/1040011

7098044 Ooooooh alrighty~
That was a glorious comic, hahaha, nice!

7098947 Tis fine, tis fine

7099149 Indeed you do :derpyderp2:

ATOM BOMB BABY LITTLE ATOM BOMB I WANT HER IN MY WIM WAM

Is this dead? I hope not.

7639950
Heck no, just having trouble is all, updating other things.
Short answer is I'm swamped with stuff to update.

8053023
Egads, I need to update this crap! :rainbowlaugh:
Thanks for pointing that out.

So will there be a new chapter anytime soon, this was really good and im interested in seeing how fluttershy does in the wasteland if it gets to that

8416338
At some point, not sure when tho, sorries 3:

more more more more more more more more more!!!!!!

8416986
mind i give you ideas of the life of the city before the war end?

i got some great ideas for Fluttershy to feel more and more welcome to USA and a few people that see the new commonwealth and there ideas of it

If you want to learn history of what life would be like back then and what would it be like in the fallout world am your man

Are ya gonna finish this thing, or like no? Seriously. All good fallout stories seem to just shrivel up and die on this site.

Update ????

Login or register to comment