• Published 28th Nov 2015
  • 11,819 Views, 446 Comments

George Trestale, God of... Something - DrOcsid



Equestria has a new problem - that is, they have to deal with yet another human, and this one's been bestowed with godlike powers that don't even work properly. That, and amnesia. Probably not a good combination.

  • ...
34
 446
 11,819

Back to the Beginning

And there we were, speeding across the grass in a horseless carriage, hopefully soon to reach the RYAN. Following alongside some train tracks we eventually came across, I wasn't quite sure exactly how fast we were going, but the wind giving me an improvised mullet told me we were going pretty damn fast. That and how Tetesac's beard was flying like a kite.

"God damn, at this rate we'll reach Canterlot before I even built the RYAN." I squinted to try and see the tank tracks leading forward into the distance. My glasses were thankfully blocking some of the wind, but still not enough to keep it from giving my eyes a blow-dry.

"Yes, that is all fine and good, but we should probably work out how we are going to explain all this to Celestia," said Tetesac, also trying to shield his eyes from the wind.

"What's there to explain? There's a big tank heading for Ponyville, that's all there is to it. No need for any extra details. None at all."

"Details like that you built it?" Lyra added with a smug grin.

"Yes, exactly like that," I replied. "That can wait until after the tank is taken care of. Or, alternatively, never."

"And what if she asks where it came from? I can't say you're the best at lying, George," Tetesac interjected.

"Simple. I'll tell her Humphrey Walt built it."

It wasn't long before we noticed the RYAN on the horizon. Although I was already confident we'd get to Canterlot in time, the idea that we were going to pass the tank soon added a small sense of relief to my mixed bag of emotions.

"There it is up ahead!" I pointed towards the RYAN, leaning forward in my seat. "Goddamn, some sense of accomplishment for once!"

"Well, now it is simply a matter of how much faster we arrive there than the tank," said Tetesac, squinting forward. "We need adequate time both to board a train to Canterlot and for Celestia to prepare for the arrival of your tank."

"Well, it's not like there's a ton of stuff she'd have to prepare," I shot back. "She's got all-powerful magic and stuff. For all I know, she could just pick the thing up and throw it into space."

"Well, you never know, George. You were always rather... creative with your designs."

At that point, we found ourselves zooming right on past the RYAN. In a moment of immaturity, I briefly looked back to blow a raspberry at it.

"George, you're spitting in my face," said Lyra, attempting to shield herself with her hooves.

"Oh. Whoops, sorry. I'm just feeling pretty accomplished right n-AAAAAGH!"

I was quickly cut off by the sound of an explosion and a brief loss of control. I spun around only to see a smoking crater where the car had been a few seconds ago. My vision jerked over in the direction of the RYAN, its barrel emitting fresh smoke.

"Oh for god's sake, it's shooting at us!" I quickly started swerving to the left and right in an attempt to throw it off.

"D-Don't worry, George, we're faster than it, remember?" Lyra didn't look too sure of herself.

"Right!" said Tetesac, his eyes darting back and forth between the car and the RYAN. "I think you simply need to get out of its range!"

"What the hell kind of range does that thing have?!"

"I don't know! You're the one who built it!"

Another explosion rocked the car even more severely than last time. I quickly looked back to check for damage, fortunately not seeing any.

"Alright, I hope to God we get out of range soon!"

Lyra looked back at how far away the RYAN is. "Yeah, well, you better hope really, really hard! I didn't plan on getting blown up today!"

I kept my eyes on the land ahead of me, but they were slowly drawn to something else. A red button, next to the steering wheel. Below it was a label saying "Nitrous oxide - Experimental feature - Do not touch!"

"O-Okay," I said, bringing my hand close to the button. "This might help us..."

"Wait, George!" said Tetesac, trying to lean forward and read the label. "You don't know what that does!"

"Yeah, a big red button can't mean anything good!" Lyra added.

"Screw that, I'm pressing it." And I did just that.

It took me a second to register exactly what was happening, but I came to realize that we were traveling along the ground at a ludicrous speed that made it hard for me to even lean forward.

"H-Holy God! Too fast! Too fast! God help us, we're all gonna die!" I couldn't help but freak out, considering I could barely even see. Looking down to keep the wind out of my eyes, I noticed a compartment that had opened that contained a pair of goggles. I quickly snatched them and put them on.

"Okay, okay, okay! Okay! We're good! No need to worry! I can see now!" And what did I see, but a hill coming up in the distance right in front of us. A small, innocent hill, with an uphill grade that couldn't have been more than 25 degrees.

"Oh jeez, stop! Stop stop stop!" I hit the brakes, I turned the wheel as hard as I could, to no avail. We went soaring off the hill in the most majestic way possible, powered by nitrous-fueled rockets.

"Holy crap! We're flying, guys! We're flying, I tell you!" My enthusiasm was short-lived, however, for as quickly as we had started flying, we had now started falling. I braced myself as the car hit the ground and all four of its wheels instantly popped off, the car sliding for a bit and then coming to a stop as its wheels, now free as birds, rolled off into the distance.

"D-D-Did we land? Are we stopped?" I was clenching the steering wheel like I was trying to strangle it.

"Yeah, yeah, we're fine..." Lyra looked like she was about to throw up, having turned a shade of green only slightly different from her fur.

"You, Tetesac? You alright?" I looked to the backseat only to see that Tetesac had passed out completely.

"Well then." I shakingly got out of the car to survey the damage, as Lyra did the same. "Hm, yeah, I think- No, yeah, I think I see the problem here. Issue here is that we don't got wheels no more."

"Nice going, royal scientist," said Lyra.

"Oh, shut up, it's just a prototype. God, what are we gonna do now?" I looked behind us off into the distance. "Well, at least we can't see the RYAN anymore."

"Yeah, but for how much longer? We've gotta get moving again somehow."

"That wouldn't be an issue right now if our wheels weren't currently taking an express trip over the horizon."

Just then, Tetesac shifted for a moment, and suddenly jolted awake. "W-Whuh? Where am I?"

I looked at him for a second before responding. "You're in the world of the living, Tetesac."

He looked around for a moment before sighing. "Well, that is a tremendous relief." He slowly dragged himself out of the car and placed himself next to me and Lyra. "Ooh. That, on the other hand, is not."

"Yeah, tell me about it," I said, placing my hands in my pockets.

Tetesac didn't respond, simply standing there for a second before going around to the back of the car and opening the trunk. "Oh dear. This isn't going to help us any, either."

I walked around behind the car to see what he meant. Yeah, I can agree with his assessment. Every single bottle of whiskey that was stored in the back of the car was shattered to bits.

"Perhaps we should have used non-glass bottles," said Tetesac.

"Yeah, tell me about it," I replied, shutting the trunk. "I mean, at least the car still works, right? We just need wheels."

At that moment, as if I had jinxed it, I heard a small explosion, and smoke started rising from the hood.

"Oh, for god's sake." I walked over to the front of the car and opened the hood, only to receive a generous gift of smoke in the face. After a bit of coughing and waving the smoke away, I took a look at the engine to see that it had pretty much fallen apart.

Yeah, okay, that was the final straw. I slammed the hood shut and strolled ever-so-calmly back to Tetesac and Lyra. "So, all in all, we've got no engine, we've got no wheels, we've got no fuel, and on top of that, the trunk now smells like a hangover. And on top of that, we're stranded in the middle of an open field of grass and dirt, with an invincible homicidal tank on our tail that's bound to kill both us and the entire population of Ponyville. Now, isn't that just fuckin' amazing? Everything that possibly could have gone wrong, has gone wrong!"

"Yes," replied Tetesac. "I like to call that 'Humphrey's Law'."

"Dammit, Titty Sack, I can't believe I'm saying this, but this is no time for jokes!"

"Er, well..." Lyra stood there trying to think of something. "George, you've got magic stuff, right? Even if it's broken, you might be able to help this situation somehow."

"None of my powers I've tried involve MARVIN repair, or conjuring up wheels and whiskey. And even if they did, I'd probably just blow the damn thing up."

"Well," Tetesac interjected, "We don't have many options, do we? You might as well try."

"Try what? The car's a lost cause."

"Well," said Lyra, "You can teleport, right?"

"Only in a small radius around me." I looked down at my hands solemnly. "And I've got no idea if I can bring others along for the ride. But then again, only one way to find out!"

Without warning, I grabbed Tetesac's hand and Lyra's horn, and prepared to try this unlikely theory out.

"H-Hey!" exclaimed Lyra, "I have hooves for a reason!"

"No time to worry about that," I said, "We're making history here!" I prepared to wave my arm to the right for the first time in a while, only to realize that I can't do that with my right hand firmly grasping Lyra's horn.

"Oh, wait, I have to wave my arm for this. Okay, uh, Lyra, come back around and grab my other arm." Lyra did just that, but instead of using her hoof like any reasonable person would expect, she instead bit my arm.

"Agh! Don't bite me! Just use your hoof, dammit!"

"Oh, right, sorry," said Lyra, sheepishly. "We don't usually grab stuff with our hooves."

In any case, I closed my eyes and focused on Canterlot. Everything that had happened there came back to me in a blur as I kept imagining that one place we needed so sorely to get to. I can only imagine I looked like someone who was severely constipated as I started attempting to focus my willpower into getting there. And with that, I slowly waved my arm to the right.

I felt us move, only for a moment.

"Are we there? Did we make it?" I slowly opened my eyes, to see, to my complete and utter amazement, that we...

...were five feet to the right.

"Welp," I said, letting go of Tetesac and Lyra, "I guess that's not going to be our Deus Ex Machina."

"Sure, but at least now you know you can take others with you," Lyra said optimistically.

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean crap if I can't actually go where I want to."

"Well," said Tetesac, "Our only hope is that you can figure something out. There ought to be some part of your power that isn't completely broken."

"I sure hope so," I said, sitting down in the grass. "It'd be nice to not have to be responsible for the death of god knows how many ponies."

I got up and walked over to the MARVIN. "Maybe if I hadn't built this thing to be such a piece of crap..." I brought my foot back and kicked it as hard as I possibly could.

Okay, bad idea.

"AAAGH!" I promptly grabbed my foot, now in considerable pain, and started hopping around on the other. "G-DAH! Goddamn it, these shoes give, like, no protection!"

I didn't have much time to worry about this, though, as I quickly ceased my hopping and yelling when I heard the melodious sound of an engine starting.

"...Wait, what the hell?" Suddenly ignoring my foot, I ran over to the front of the car and opened the hood to see, to my complete astonishment, the engine, all in one piece and running like a dream. I looked over at Lyra and Tetesac, who were similarly shocked.

"We-he-hell!" I slammed the hood shut and did a little spin. "Would ya fuckin' look at me! Master car repairman over here!"

"Yes, that's quite impressive, George!" said Tetesac, grinning. "However, we still do not have any wheels or fuel to speak of."

"Yeah, but at least we're getting somewhere!" I jumped up and clicked my heels in midair, only to spot something in the distance behind us. A little black speck, which I was sure to be the RYAN.

"Shit! And not a moment too soon! The RYAN's gaining on us! We gotta think of something right now!"

"Oh jeez," said Lyra nervously, "Uhm, maybe kick the MARVIN again?"

"Right!" I went over and kicked the car, making sure to do it considerably lighter this time, only to have nothing happen. "Damn it!"

"Wait one moment," said Tetesac, squinting into the distance. "That isn't the RYAN, that's a train!"

"A train?" I said skeptically. Looking into the distance again, though, I could see he was right. That really was a train. "Oh, well that's a tremendous relief."

It took me a second to realize what that meant, but after a moment it finally clicked. "Oh shit! A train! That could be our ticket out of here!"

"But how are we going to get on?!" asked Lyra, walking in place anxiously. "There's no way it's stopping out here!"

"Hm... teleportation's too risky, and there's no way we can jump on something so fast..." Just then, my eyes were slowly drawn to the MARVIN. Particularly, the winch on the front of it. At the same time, I looked over at the train tracks we'd been following. "...Guys, I have an idea."

"Do you, now?" asked Tetesac, skeptically.

"Quick, no time to explain! Everyone push the MARVIN as close as you can to about a foot away from the train tracks!"

Without questioning it, me and Tetesac went to the MARVIN and started shoving it towards the tracks. Lyra, like some lazy pony, elected to use her magic to help us push. Regardless of the methods used, however, we managed to get the MARVIN close enough.

"Okay," I said, running around to the front of the car and beginning to yank the rope out of the winch. "Everyone get in the car, now!"

"George, are you planning what I think you are?!" asked Tetesac, clearly frightened.

"Just shut up and get in, quick!" I pulled rope out of the winch until I could pull no more, and jumped over the hood into the driver's seat. I looked behind us to see the train coming up fast.

"Alright, everyone! Please stay seated and keep your two arms and six legs inside the vehicle at all times! Keep your heads back against the seats and get ready as fuck!"

The train was now passing us. I had only one shot at this, and I needed to make it count very, very badly. I stood up and held the hook ready. I turned my head back to see the caboose about to pass us. I snapped forward, hoped to the gods for the best, and threw that damn thing as hard as I possibly could.

To my actual, legitimate amazement this time, it successfully latched on to the handrail at the end of that very last car of the train. I quickly sat myself back down in my seat and grabbed the steering wheel as the rope began to run out.

"BRACE YOURSELVES, GOD DAMN IT!"

The car simply sat there for an awkward moment before it was suddenly yanked forward at a speed that I swear almost gave me whiplash. We sped forward, being slowly dragged onto the train tracks, momentarily going for a very bumpy ride on the sleepers.

"Agh- god- not- this- shit- a- gain-"

After a short moment of this, we finally ended up grinding on the rails, sparks flying everywhere. I took a moment to catch my breath as the ear-grating sound of metal on metal pierced my senses. I looked back at Tetesac and Lyra, who were both clutching their seats the best they could.

"You guys alright?"

Tetesac slowly began to speak first. "T-That..."

"No time for that now! We've gotta get off this damn thing! Once the train hits a turn, god knows where this thing will go flying! We've gotta climb that rope onto the train itself, and real fuckin' quick!" I jumped up and waved Lyra and Tetesac over. They started to climb up towards the driver's seat while I prepared to grab onto the rope. I looked down at the tracks rushing under the rope, and momentarily received a grim reminder of my mortality. Well, it's either possibly die now, or probably die later. I slowly crouched down and grabbed the rope, but was interrupted by Lyra biting my arm again.

"Agh! What is it?! We've gotta hurry!"

"I've got magic! I can just levitate you guys over!"

"...Oh. Okay. Yeah, let's do that." With that, I found myself encased in a mint-green bubble and moving slowly towards the back of the car.

"Don't... usually move... big living things... can't break concentration..." Lyra was clearly trying her hardest to get me over there, but I think someone must've left a penny on the tracks or something, because we hit a bump, Lyra faltered, and I found myself falling.

"WOAHLYSHIT-" was all I could get out before I, luckily, managed to grab hold of the rope. Literally hanging on for dear life, I shouted back at Lyra for a second. "Dammit, Lyra, you almost killed me!"

"Sorry! I'm sorry! Here, I'll pick you back up again-"

"No, I'll be fine! Get Tetesac across!" I started slowly inching my way towards the caboose, watching Tetesac become engulfed in mint and start slowly being moved towards me.

I finally managed to get close enough to the caboose to grab hold of the handrail and pull myself over, landing on my arm. Ouch. I quickly got up to see Tetesac arrive right next to me, being gently placed on the platform. "Alright, Lyra!" Tetesac called back to her, "Now, are you able to levitate yourself across?"

"I-I can't do that!"

"What?" I exclaimed, "You telling me unicorns can't levitate themselves? The hell kind of sense does that make?!"

"W-Well, some can, but not me. Even the ones that can are usually only able to do it for a few seconds!"

"Okay," said Tetesac, "That's fine, just climb across the rope! You have our full support!"

"Okay... Alright..." Lyra didn't seem too sure of herself as she touched the rope with her hoof.

I took a moment to lean over the side of the train and look ahead, only to see that we were headed for an oh-so-dreaded turn.

"Lyra! Goddamn it, hurry! It's either possibly die now or definitely die in about 15 seconds!"

That got her going. She pulled herself onto the rope, letting out a small scream after her legs allowed her to swing upside down. Nevertheless, she started inching toward us as fast as she possibly could, and as soon as she was close enough, me and Tetesac grabbed her hooves and pulled her onto the caboose just as the train hit the turn, knocking us all over.

The three of us stood up only to see the MARVIN now bouncing around in all sorts of angles, still being pulled along by the train.

"Yeah," I said, almost completely breathless. "It's a damn good thing we weren't on that." I grabbed the hook and pulled it off the handrail, leaving the car behind and out of its misery.

I took this moment of solace to slump down against the door to the cabin. "Holy shit. I can't believe that worked."

"Y-Yes," said Tetesac. He looked even more out of breath than me, which was a surprise considering he basically cheated to get across. "That... was quite a plan, George."

"Hey, if it's stupid, and it works, it's not stupid."

"No," said Lyra, kicking me in the leg. "That was pretty stupid. There were a whole ton of parts to that where we could've easily been turned into a mass of red paste."

"Well," I said, "The fact of the matter is, we're on a train headed in Ponyville's general direction at a speed that's way faster than the RYAN. I consider this a victory." And with that, I stood up and opened the door to the cabin. Just like the last train, there were four bunks on each side of the cabin, one of them occupied by a yellow stallion who had been reading a book up until now. He simply stared at us with extreme confusion and possibly fear as we walked in.

"Do not worry, simple pony," I said, giving a slight bow. "We come in peace." The stallion responded by dropping his book and shutting his curtains. I walked over to the book and picked it up. Lyra looked over my shoulder to see what it was, only to give a disgusted groan. "Fifty Shades of Neigh? Not only is that guy perverted, he has really bad taste."

"...You know what, I'm not even going to ask." And with that, I threw the book back through the curtains, myself hearing a thud and a slight yelp after it traveled through.

"Well," said Tetesac, "I do believe we deserve to take a seat after this, do we not?"

"Oh, definitely," I said. I promptly placed myself in the bunk directly behind me, while Tetesac took the one on top, and Lyra the one to the left.

"...These bunks are rather small," said Tetesac from above. "I cannot even fully stretch out my legs."

"Well, yeah," replied Lyra. "They're made for ponies."

Just then, the door at the other end of the car opened, and in walked a pony wearing clothes that told me she was the ticket collector. She was also wearing an expression that told me she was very confused, as we all stared at her, and she simply stared back. After a moment of this, she simply shook her head and began to leave. "Man, all the crazy stuff I see, I don't even care anymore," she said.

"Wait!" I said, successfully getting her to stop.

"Yeah, what is it, Mister Human?"

"Where does this train go?"

"Canterlot." And with that, she turned around and left through the door.

"Wow," said Lyra, "She didn't even ask for our tickets."

"Forget that!" I said excitedly. I jumped out of my bunk and faced my two cohorts. "We are headed directly for Canterlot! Would you believe this shit?! Hah!" I began doing a little dance right there in the cabin.

"Yes, it is nice to have something finally go well for us in this little adventure of ours," said Tetesac, stroking his beard and grinning.

"So," said Lyra, "We should probably work out how we're going to explain this to the princesses now, and more importantly, how we're even going to get to the princesses to explain this to them."

"Right," I said, "Good point. I probably shouldn't just barge in there and go 'What's up, bitches, I've got some princesses to talk to!'."

"In all likeliness," said Tetesac, "We are probably going to have to let ourselves get arrested. There is simply no way we will be able to talk ourselves in."

"Who the hell needs talking? All we need, I tell you, is stealth. Well, that and teleportation."

After a while, we finally pulled into Canterlot's train station. By now, the sky was transitioning into nighttime. I was glad that our goal was finally within reach, and now, all we needed to do was get to Princess Celestia and talk to her.

"Alright," said Lyra, "What's your plan on this whole stealth thing? And what's wrong with just letting ourselves get arrested?"

"Time's not on our side here, Lyra! If we get arrested, god knows how long it'll take to be able to speak with either of the princesses! No, breaking in will lead to far more instant results."

"And if we get caught and imprisoned?" Tetesac inquired.

"Then we'll go with your plan, Tetesac. But for now, let's go with mine."

With that, the three of us exited the train out the back. What followed next was a series of fumbles and mistakes that there's no way what we were doing could possibly be referred to as "stealth". I'm pretty sure we were seen by at least 35 ponies out there. But, regardless, we eventually managed to make our way over to the castle's outer walls, sticking to them as to not be seen.

"Alright, guys, grab on to me. This might work, and it might not." Lyra and Tetesac grabbed my arm, Lyra taking care to use her hoof this time, and I waved my arm to the right. To my surprise, we actually got through the wall.

"Nice job, George," whispered Lyra. We were now directly outside the castle itself. The area we were in was thankfully not teeming with guards, but we still had to find a way inside. I scanned the place for a second before noticing a pony walk out of a small side door, pushing a cake on a trolley. The three of us ran over to that spot and stood there for a moment before I relayed our exact plan to Tetesac and Lyra.

"Alright, judging from that cake, this is probably the palace kitchen, which will be teeming with cooks. We've gotta slowly sneak through and not get seen by any of these guys. See, chefs use lots of sharp objects for their job, which makes them kinda scary. So we probably shouldn't get caught here."

"Hey, wait a minute, who made you the leader?" asked Lyra teasingly.

"I did! Now, let's just slowly open this door..." And with that, I pushed the door open with my hand and looked inside, only to meet gazes with about five different pony chefs.

"Uh. Okay. Guys, follow my lead, okay?" I whispered. After these words left my mouth, I quickly stood up and walked into the kitchen, trying to look as confident as possible. "Greetings, chef ponies! I am the health inspector, personally hired by Princess Celestia due to my uncanny ability to spot even the smallest of code violations! These are my two assistants, Dumbass and Stupidface, and this is a mandatory routine inspection!" While saying this, I made sure to slowly waltz my way towards the other door as the chefs continued to stare at us and whisper between each other. "Now, there are a good many things we tend to look for in our health inspections, but the most important one is always- OKAYGUYSLET'SGO." And with that I dashed through the door into the castle's hallways. "Okay, let's find the throne room as quick as humanly possible!"

"Wait," said Lyra as we ran. "Which one of us was Stupidface?"

"That's a secret!" I said, looking around at the decorations on the walls, trying to remember what they looked like from the last time I was here. "Goddamn it, why is this castle so big?" By this point I heard a decent bit of pony shouting. Sounds like we've been found out.

"G-George..." said Tetesac, trying his damned best to keep up. "Make a left here!"

I noticed the turn up ahead, and I dashed into the hallway, only to be met with two guards.

"Halt!" one said. "You humans and... pony... are trespassing on royal grounds! You are under arrest!" said the other.

"Dammit, Tetesac!" I said, "Why'd you lead us straight into two guards?!"

"George, look up ahead!" said Lyra. I craned my neck to see above the guards, and lo and behold, there was the door to the throne room. We're so close...

"George," said Tetesac. "Run, quick."

"What? What are you doing?"

"Just leave me here! I'll be fine! You and Lyra get in there!" And with that he turned to the guards. "Hey, look! It's me! The King of Humans! Your greatest enemy! Arrest me, quick, before I declare war!"

And with that distraction, me and Lyra dashed past the guards straight toward the throne room. I bashed the huge doors open with my shoulder and ran inside.

"What's up, bitches?! I've got some princesses to talk t-GAH!"

And with that, I was cut off by the stunning amount of force that comes with being tackled by a guard.

Author's Note:

It's finally back. Woo-hoo.