• Published 10th Nov 2015
  • 8,976 Views, 165 Comments

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité - Ponelover



Equestria is at war, Princess Celestia deploys the Royal Guard to fight off the Changelings. But the appearance of a certain European nation changes the equation entirely. (being rewritten)

  • ...
14
 165
 8,976

25th November, 2015 (Edited)

Author's Note:

First off, my deepest sympathies for anyone who have lost their loved ones in France. It is a very terrible tragedy that no one should endure.

Secondly, if ISIS thought that attacking a concert and a ball game would made the world bow to their will, they're frankly wrong. This story WILL continue because I will not bow down to fear. And neither should you as well.

For future readers who are wondering what the hell is he talking about:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34814203
This happened just on the day where I should do an update.

Los Pegasus Harbour, 12:00PM, +11 days after event

The flurry of Mistral and Batral landing ships was enough to make anypony standing in the harbour very confused but were also very amazed at the scale these French are organizing their troops. Spitfire was on the scale of ‘very amazed’ as she still wonders how these French managed to bring so much equipment in such a short amount of time, when she heard about the news regarding the French and how they are now sending troops to Equestria. Air Marshall Spitfire could only look at the Princess with confusion, is the Princess really serious? Spitfire thought back then when she heard from a dragonfire mail about the news. But when the first ships starts approaching harbour she knew that the Princesses never failed to impress her even more.

When the first human soldiers started pouring out of the massive ships they were met with a wave of confusion and a little bit of hopefullness as well. Spitfire, just like everypony in Las Pegasus was staring at awe as the human troops brought in military machinery unlike anything she’s ever seen. There are these things called ‘Howitzers’ which are reported to be capable of sending in a massive barrage of artillery on enemy positions while still being in a secure position. There are also these ‘combat helicopters’ which are essentially Iron Pegasi that could swat entire squadrons out of the sky if the info she received was correct. Damn those autocannons when she heard about the capabilities of the Tigre. The next that came to her mind was these massive Iron Chariots, called ‘tanks’ by the French commander, these bahemoths are essentially meant to slug it out with the enemy until one side wins it out against the other. Everytime I see those things work it’s like seeing a well oiled metal monster. It’s scary now that I think of it.

After the very busy week of organizing both her ponies and coordinating with the French commander, Daring finally got some time to rest before the commencing of what the French were calling ‘Operation Alarme’ that evening. She was about to get some grub when she heard the tent ruffled and in comes the French commander, Army General Armand D’esprey.
“Tough day huh?” as the general asked as he took a empty mug before preparing to get his morning joe.
“Heh, well I haven’t been too busy, you on the other hoof however have been very busy.” Spitfire replied, not entirely thrilled about being made to sit back while fighting was happening, but not wanting to go against her princesses orders either. And despite being used ot such things being the Captain of the Wonderbolts, she HATED paperwork..
“Meh, if you want some more paperwork, I’m sure the Administrative Division would be more than happy to hand over some of their work” the general responded.
“Pass” Spitfire said before grabbing a huge daisy sandwich and moves to the officer’s tables. At it she saw familiar faces, the ever glowing Soarin, the cold and calculating Fleetfoot, and the ever passionate Rapidfire. “Hey guys” she said as she lowered her tray in front of the group and starts eating. “Have any fun with these French yet?” Spitfire asked them as she devours her meal.
“Never seen a military machine so well oiled and efficient in my entire life Spitfire” Fleetfoot replied. “Have you seen the reports on Operation Serval? Mare, these French know how to fight” as she eyed these weird looking bipedal omnivores with intent.
“They’re a fun group,” Soarin replied “really professional by the looks of it, equipment got me worried a bit though, what happens if they were to break down?” Soarin asked with concern in his eyes. He had a point, sure these ‘howitzers’ and ‘tanks’ were awesome, but they are still machines and machines break down.
“Well that won’t happen as long as I’m in charge” a sapper officer passively responded while bringing his tray to the other side of the table.
“Their species sure are strange” Spitfire said. “No magic at all and yet they are still way more powerful than us, isn’t that kinda depressing ponies?” she asked her group.
“Well for me...yeah” Rapidfire was the first to respond. “I mean, we have this energy force spread throughout the planet and the ones coming from the world with seemingly no magic just somehow became more powerful than us? How does that work?” Rapidfire’s response was passionate as usual. Standard Rapidfire as Spitfire rolls her eyes, soon enough their meals are finished and they were relaxing for a while until Fleetfoot broke the tension.
“Well I’m done, you wanna meet the General? He’s going to present something major” Fleetfoot asked her group.
“It’s not like we have much of a choice anyway. Let’s go” Soarin responded by walking out of the room, followed by his teammates soon enough.

The meeting room shaped by the humans are unlike anything the ponies have ever seen. Chairs with tables on them propped up like a classroom, incredibly practical with no ornamental decorum, and a weird rectangular looking thing with a screen in front of it. Soon enough the pony officers and human officers are seated in their respective seats and out comes General Armand and he begins the presentation.

“Alright, thank you everyone for coming, let’s begin with the general outline of ‘Operation Alarme’” as the general changed the slides of the presentation into a very detailed looking map of Equestria.”

“First off the operation will begin at 2100 Equestrian time. We will begin with an intensive aerial bombing campaign in the areas believed to be where the Changeling encampments are” as he points his lazerpointer at a few areas of seemingly empty dessert before pointing to Appleloosa and Dodge City. “I trust these towns are evacuated yes?”

“Yes sir” Spitfire promptly responded.

“Good, now back to the presentation. This bombing campaign will last fifteen minutes and it will soon after be followed by the 1st, 8th, and 17th artillery regiments firing on these positions.” As he outlines the areas near the river west of Ghastly Gorge and a lone rock farm. “This artillery barrage will last for another fifteen minutes and it will soon be followed by a rapid deployment of the 1st Chasseurs to clean up the initial resistance, once a front west of the river is established. Armoured units consisting of 3rd Hussars, 12th Cuirassiers and the 501st tank regiment accompanied by 1st Infantry regiment, 1st Tiralleurs, 35th Infantry and 110th Infantry. The unit’s objective once the bulk of the main force has crossed the river is to take the cities of Appleloosa and Dodge City” as he pointed in the cities of Appleloosa and Dodge City again, “during the attempted capture of said cities, it is recommended to all French units to capture any officers in charge of the changeling army. Remember these beings are shapeshifters and given the fact that these two cities are deserted, detain anypony trying to gain refuge until their proven to not be a Changeling.” As the general concluded the first part of the presentation.

“Now this operation should be completed in two days, three if they prove to be stubborn. We are dealing with an army with a mostly medieval understanding of warfare and organization so it shouldn’t be much of a problem.” All of the ponies present have their ears go up at such a dismissal, but they keep listening as the General continues, “The problem lies here once we’ve reached the Badlands” As he outlines a region fraught with canyons and desert known as the Badlands.”This region is incredibly huge and although relatively flat in most areas, there are some jagged areas that will be difficult to traverse. Knowing the risk of ambush in these areas, the 1st and 8th artillery regiment accompanied by airplanes coming in from Charles de Gaulle, Saint Dizier airbase, Luxeuil airbase and Nancy airbase will conduct a massive, two day bombardment of the general area in order to flatten the ground to allow for better movement of troops, this will also be followed by a relatively slow advance which will take up to four days tops until we reach the Changeling hive at the very bottom of the badlands” as outlines a peculiar looking canyon at the southern tip of the Badlands. “Once we’ve arrived at the hive. First we are going to send the changelings an ultimatum via flyers from our cargo planes, they would have two days to comply and they should considering the extent of our operation if it goes that far. But if they don’t surrender than the 1st, 8th and 17th artillery accompanied by planes from the carrier and the airbases I mentioned earlier will conduct a massive siege, time limit indefinite to destroy the changeling hive just enough for infantry to storm the hive and take Queen Chrysalis.” And with that, General Armand D’esprey finished his presentation, to the shock of his pony compatriots.

“That’s a…….very generous application of weaponry” Spitfire commented
“It’s certainly……..interesting to say the least” Soarin further added
“And now I know why there are so many of those box looking vehicles running around the city” Fleetfoot added to the general sense of shock, if that’s how the running logistics would be like, an entire branch of the military could be opened just focusing on it.

General Armand realized that these ponies are unknown to the concepts of modern war, so he added his own response to dissuade the general sense of shock these ponies are receiving. “I know that a lot of gunpowder is going to be used, but let’s just say that we didn’t have a very pleasant experience in the last 100 years regarding wars and we intend to keep the human costs low.” He returns to addressing the assembled officers.
“And that’s it everyone, prepare your vehicles and move them into position accordingly, dismissed!” And with those words, the general was met with a flurry of running and shouting as everyone prepares their tanks, armoured vehicles and howitzers and starts moving into position. He already told the ponies that it would be too much of a risk for them on a modern battlefield, these ponies didn’t take their commands very well muttering words like “honour” and “bravery” as every medieval people would be reacting when told to stand down. So he organized this presentation in order to convince them that the Equestrian military, at it’s current state would be a liability to the war effort if they chose to participate. It looks like the ponies finally caved in after that presentation the general thought as he saw Spitfire, Rapidfire, Fleetfoot and Soarin leaving the room in various stages of dissapointment and shock.

Couldn’t blame them though, I would react the same if aliens told me that my soldiers would be a hindrance to their war effort.

Hangar of the French carrier Charles de Gaulle, 3:00PM, +11 days after event

“Are the planes ready Elaine?” as supply officer Albert Bruno asked her about the state of the planes.
“The planes are ready sir! we just need to outfit them with Storm Shadows and Hammers,” as Seaman Elaine Caroline commented on the state of the Rafale she’s currently arming for Operation Alarme.
“How about the Super Etendards?” Albert further asked.
“Lazer guided bombs as well as rockets are installed sir, both planes cannons are fully loaded and we only need to wake the pilots in order to start the operation early” Elaine jokingly commented on the currently sleeping pilots, but knowing the extent of the operation. It’s no surprise that the pilots decided to take an early nap, this op is going to last till tommorrow night and although they are getting shifts, the first flight will be using all of their planes and they need to be in tip top shape in order to conduct the operation.

“So with that we are finished then, go take a break and come back in fifteen minutes. We got some paperwork to do” Albert ordered the junior seaman. After the announcement that France is going to intervene in Equestrian affairs in order to gain their trust and with the distribution of the war plans from the Ministere de la Defence, the De Gaulle and her battlegroup has been put into the highest possible alert, and are preparing their planes for the operation. With both Horizons and Aquitaines preparing their cruise missile loadouts as well. After so many years of French intervention in Africa, this was just a walk in the park for the French armed forces, especially against an army with a medieval understanding of warfare. Or at least that’s what I’m hoping for, no idea how are we going to deal with magic though Albert thought.

Kirin capital city Chuoko, 4:00PM, +11 days after event

Daimyo Sukejiro Saji of the Saji domain was finishing the rest of his paperwork when a Kirin honour guard burst into his room. He knew that honour guards are allowed to burst into his room in case of emergencies, so he better have a good reason for disturbing his work or well……..temporary exile is not in anyone’s interest anyway but heh.

“This had better be important” the Daimyo says
“It is very important milord. A trade Bune accompanied with ships unlike anything we’ve ever seen are approaching the harbour milord” the Honour guard replied.
“We shall see if this is true. If it is true then you shall go back to your duties, if not then…….you know what happens” The Daimyo grimly responded to the guard, the thinly veiled threat left unsaid but there. He was walking out from his castle just see a massive commotion in front of the harbour.

“The Daimyo is coming through!!! Please move aside!” an honour guard shouts as the other Kirin heard the orders and starts giving way to the Daimyo. Daimyo Sukejiro himself was a relatively well liked leader, under his leadership, trade between the Kirin Empire of Amaterasu and Equestria have reached new heights and Chuoko prospered as one of the main centers of commerce in the Kirin Empire itself, the fact that this very city is the city where the royal family resides is just icing to the cake. But there are times when Sukejiro needed to exert authority and this is one of them.

“Honour guard, give me a spyglass” as the Daimyo stepped out of his carriage and taking the spyglass, uses his magic to see what is over the horizon. As expected, a trade Bune was approaching, probably coming from one of many trade missions to Equestria. But alongside the huge trade Bune was a fleet of 4 incredibly huge, mastless ships approaching the harbour. The Daimyo jaw dropped as he saw these huge ships, ‘How did they manage to build such huge ships? They are mastless as well but they are moving at the same speed as the Bune, what kind of magics do these creatures use?’wondered the Daimyo as he saw these ships accompany the Bune as they approach the harbour, inside these weird ships are even weirder looking creatures as well. They look like hairless monkeys but lack the general foolishness of monkeys as he saw steely eyes monitoring everything with their weirdly shaped spyglass as well.

As the bune docks in the harbour, out comes a member of the noble houses, Ms Sanako Nakanishi.
“Welcome back Noblemare Sanako, I trust that you had a safe…..journey?” the Daimyo asked the noblemare, aware of the fact that the noblemare might be conducting diplomatic actions with another species.
“Oh yes I had a very….pleasant journey, but I do have a new group that wants to introduce themselves” as she invites the French Diplomatic team to meet a representative to the Emperor.
“Bonjour monsieur……..forgive me but what is your name?” The Diplomat asked in very accented Equish
“My name is Daimyo Sukejiro Saji of the Saji domain”
“Ah of course Monsieur Sukejiro, my name is Charlotte Durand and I will be the diplomat representing the Republique of France. I wish to talk to your highest executive leader”
Knowing what is asked of him, and the possibility that these monstrous ships might possess monstrous magic if they are not pleased. The Kirin Daimyo relented and responded by “That can be arrange Charlotte san, but do note that requests this important might take two days of processing”
“We can wait in our ships, it will be no problem”
“Of course..thank you for your willingness to conduct diplomatic relationships with Amaterasu” as he slowly backed away and returned to his carriage to be brought back to his castle. ‘This day might go on a little bit longer’ he sighs in annoyance.

Saint Dizier-Robinson airbase, 6:00PM, +11 days after event

“Tower, this is Squadron Leader Robert Blanc callsign Colt 1, requesting permission to take off” Squadron Leader Captain Robert Blanc asked
“Permission granted Colt 1, control out” The control tower responded, which is met with a roar of the Rafale’s engines as the squadron of Rafale’s from bases in mainland France prepare for takeoff and engage in operation Alarme. The first war conducted by France in Equestria.

Once the Rafale Squadron has left from the airbase, they are further joined by even more Rafales and even some Mirage 2000’s as well. This, alongside with the planes coming from the carrier alongside cruise missiles launched from De Gaulle’s battlegroup would form the opening salvo in ‘Operation Alarme’.

******

It’s 2045 hours and the the captain of Colt squadron could see the apporaching combat zone. Only 10 minutes later, high up the San Palomino desert and the Everfree forest. The French fighters let loose their payloads of Storm Shadow Missiles. The Captain saw white contrails coming out of the Storm Shadow as he ordered his squadron to loiter in the area, his Squadron would form a CAS contigency while other fighters would recharge and refuel. Forming a sort of shift of continous air coverage throughout the region.

“This is Cobra flight 1, we are returning back to the carrier, good luck out there”
“This is Magic flight 1, returning back to base, good luck”
The flurry of flights returning back to bases was a bit dizzying but nonethelss the good Captain still managed to not yell ‘shut up’ to all the planes returning back to base. With the first phase over now comes the hard part of the mission, loitering around the general area and providing CAS into groups that required them. The Super Etendards are perfect for this mission with their rocket pods, but the Rafale’s still have their payload of AASM Hammer laser guided bombs in case the Changelings pull out some form of hell demon or something similar. With magic, I wouldn’t be surprised if they pull that sort of trick. Good thing we got a 750lb bomb to deal with it the Captain thought.

Operation Alarme, 9:00PM/2100 Hours, +11 days after event

General Carapace was finishing his plans for further advancing to Ponyville. The Equestrian Royal Guard was completely smashed as a fighting force and there is a genuinely real chance for the Changelings to actually capture Canterlot and put Chrysalis into the throne of the defeated Princesses. Queen Chrysalis herself was about to depart from her hive in the badlands in order to put out a rousing speech signifying Changeling victory tomorrow. All according to plan Carapace thought as he finished his drawings and was about to depart to bed. Only to be disturbed by yet another Changeling scout saying the same nonesense about ‘humans’ and whatnot.
“Disturb me one more time about these humans and you’re about to get the punishment of a lifetime. Do not bother me with such blatant lies again!” Carapace shouted to the Changeling scout and he indeed backed down. Damn these Changelings, are they really that afraid of spectres in the dese…. He never finished that sentence as one of the Storm Shadows launched from the Rafales hit his encampment, killing him instantly and initiating a storm of chaos.

Captain Pincer was suddenly awoken from his slumber with incredibly loud explosions, he walks out of his tent only to see the entire encampment on fire. “WHAT IN THE WORLD!?” he shouted in a clearly shocked manner, Changelings are running scattered and panicking as well as a literal rain of fire descended on the Changeling encampment. Captain Pincer was attempting to rally some of the Changeling troops when a Storm Shadow hit a bit too close for comfort and also killed Captain Pincer, furthering the chaos as the Changeling military leadership is eliminated.

With the loss of two of their most vaunted commanders, the panicking Changelings are starting to disperse into the countryside and most attempt to make their way into Appleloosa. Most of them will not survive the journey because during the panic, they didn’t saw the peculiar flying machines dropping small things with slightly larger things attached to parachutes. This will prove to be their ultimate downfall as the 1st Chasseur regiment will have a laughably easy time picking the scattered and disorganized Changelings out.

Once Colonel Sebastien de Roux landed on the ground, his training immediately kicked in as he put aside his parachute, connected to his Félin system and ordered his squad to regroup and wait for the incoming VBL drop. Once the light jeep was finally dropped ointo the ground, his Squad’s training kicked in as they remove the straps and revved the vehicle into life.
“All systems go. Let’s go hunt some bugs” as the Colonel ordered his men to move into the general direction of Appleloosa. Fifteen minutes into the drive and one of his squadmembers spotted something in the desert.
“Enemy located at 1 O’clock” he says
“Roger that” as the gunner moved his turret and fired short bursts, i. Instantly downing the Changeling. His squad and many other Chasseur squads would encounter the same situation, disorganised, panicked Changelings that would be put down with just a burst from the VBL’s machine gun. Eventually when dawn breaks. There would be only 5.000 Changelings left that made it to Appleloosa and Dodge City, out of a force consisting of some 40.000 Changelings on the camp centered on taking Los Pegasus and a force of 20.000 Changelings focused on taking Ponyville, ‘it was total slaughter’ as Spitfire commented after the end of Operation Alarme.

Tour Total, 11:00PM, +11 days after event

The atmosphere of Total S.A, France’s largest oil company was very grim. The displacement has affected many aspects of the lives of French companies, but it is the supermajors that got hit incredibly hard. Already Google, Facebook and every other major IT giant is doing mass mergings in order to stave off the total collapse. Total S.A was no different as suddenly they were cut off from their only source of profit: oil.

“Please be seated” as Thierry Desmaret and Patrick Pouyanné welcomed the members of the board as they all took to their seats. All of them knew that if the wrong decision was taken here, it would meant the end for all their livelihoods and the end of the French economy as well.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, you all know why you are here. In this meeting we will discuss the future of the company as we struggle to find at least one oil deposit in an unknown world. I know this might be challenging times for you all but frankly, your very livelihoods are at stake here, so keep calm and let’s begin.” Patrick Pouyanné stated glumly as the meeting begins.

“So first on the list is exploration missions, it is obvious that the displacement hasve placed a…...major issue regarding the company’s main source of profit. Ms Emily will take over from here” as the CEO of Total gives Emily control of the meeting.

The chief operations officer looks into her colleagues and frankly said. “We need an immediate expedition to locate any signs of oil off the French coast. This will be one of the most risky if not the riskiest operation Total has done, But without this expedition, frankly the company is going to go bankrupt” Emily stated nonchalantly, Total did have some exploration ships docked in harbour for refitting and maintenance during the event but it’s going to be one hell of an expedition by the looks of it.

She was asked by a major shareholder of the company, “What is the estimated time for these ships to be fully operational? Wwe need this oil really badly and frankly, I don’t see that we have much time at all.”

“Don’t worry about that, I have already ordered the exploration ships to begin preparations for oil explorations yesterday, if anything the drillships are already on their way to the Bay of Biscay, the southern oceans near Toulon and what remains of the North Sea” she responded.

“Now moving on to financial matters. Mr Berliet?” as the meeting, now known as the ‘meeting that changed France’ continues. This meeting would propel France as one of the world’s most oil rich countries in Equestria, the discovery of huge oil reserves on the scale of Baku in the northern and southern Lunar oceans would prove to be devastating for French foreign policy, no longer does the country have to rely on foreign oil suppies, because the offshore oils found will be more than enough to sustain France just long enough until more energy friendly alternatives are implemented.

******

Operation Alarme has begun as the French military attacks known Changeling positions

Construction for the Suffren class Carriers, Barracuda class Submarines and Bâtiment Multimission class landing craft temporarily halted due to resource shortages

Oil curfew will be implemented throughout France tomorrow, the curfew was announced by the Economic Minister Emmanuel Macron

Official contact made between Kirin Empire of Amaterasu and the Republic of France in the Kirin capital of Chuoko, French delegation soon will be meeting with the Kirin Empress