• Published 9th Jan 2016
  • 9,806 Views, 216 Comments

Alex's Care Taker - SparkStone



When the Care Taker of ponies get sent to Equestria, many rejoice, and many meet the beloved human of the Equines.

  • ...
12
 216
 9,806

Chapter 5

Wonderbolts

Alex and his companions enter the Wonderbolts Airshow. Lined with rows of seats, the ponies, dragon, and the formally invited human helps themselves to the open seats. Rainbow was more excited than Alex even though it was Spitfire was the one who had him come along. The airshow starts off, and Rainbow is telling every single detail about every Wonderbolt that shows up to Alex.

It was difficult to process the information, but that didn’t stop Alex from enjoying the show. Finally annoyed of her behavior, Applejack taps Rainbow to calm her down.

“Pipe down Rainbow, the rest of us are trying to watch here.” She said in a stern tone.

“Oh! Right! Gotcha!” Rainbow winked.

She climbed on the back of Alex’s head and leans forward, almost as if she was reaching out the Wonderbolts. Alex, who was watching the show, notices Rainbow’s eyes shine as she pays such close attention to the flying pegasi. They freely fly through the airspace with such grace and performance. She smiles widely and says, “This is so much fun! Thanks for taking me here Alex!”

“No problem.” Alex states. “Since you were coming with me on my travels, it’s only right that I treat you all as well.”

As the show progresses, he watches for two certain ponies. The lightning speed pegasi pass by and wave to the crowd. Among them was the ones Alex was looking for. Spitfire and Soarin. Looking back at the day when he met them, it was an interesting time of his life.


Around 3 years ago, the fire mane pegasus lies on the couch and speaks to Alex in her casual tone. Taking a couple of days to get used to things, she finally opens up enough to speak to him without suspicion. They discuss the life she will soon have.

“Captain of a flight team?” Alex repeats.

Spitfire nods and lies her head on the armrest of the couch. “It’s a huge honor and everything, but it’s way too much to bear.” She tells him. “I mean, I’ve gotten used to directing the team and such, but I really hate answering for every little thing my team does. Every mistake we do on and off our duty gets sent to me, and I end up having to respond to every single complaint or critic.”

“I think I’m impressed by how far you’ve gotten,” Alex noted. “"I'd be at my wits end just trying to manage all of that.”

“Well, one of my members, Soarin, makes things easier.” She mentions. “But after the last team moved to another captain, I’ve been given a lot of new recruits we have to train this season…”

“I see…” Alex nodded. “What do you plan to do?”

Spitfire grins some, but her eyes shade in a grim matter. “I don’t know… I’ve really had it with this. Being rated for the team’s performance and everything just bugs me now when it’s not as spectacular as every pony hopes it to be.” She sighs. “I might retire. Or heck even stays here then go back to face them and tell them that.”

“Spitfire… Your dream was to become an ace flyer and the top of the team. You can’t give up now.”

“All of this criticism is annoying, though.” She groans.

“Annoying, not painful.” Alex reminds her. “You went through rigorous training in flight school. You did so much just to get where you are. All those ponies who talk bad about you probably haven’t been through as much as you. The weight of their words is slim compared to what you’ve faced before, and what you will face in the future. Giving up by words alone is just going to make you regret it.”

Spitfire looks up to Alex with her eyes shining a bit. Almost as if a new inspiration was taken into light. She looks down and considers the option. “I’ll think about it.”

Alex goes to the couch and sits by her, rubbing her belly some. She smiles a bit and stretches as the sensation kicks in. “I don’t think there’s much to think about. But if you really have this as a problem you should talk to your friends. Like Soarin.”

Spitfire looks up at the ceiling, thinking really hard about it. Alex was right about petty words meaning very little. And if she needed help, she had friends to turn to. She looks to Alex and smiles widely. “You know what? You’re right. I think when I go back, there’s gonna be some new changes for the better.”

“Good.” Alex grins. “How about some ice cream to celebrate?”

“I think I’m in the mood for more belly rubs.” She says, pointing to her chest. “Riiiight~ here”


Back at the lobby, Alex, and his friends talk about the show. Rainbow was the one leading the discussion, of course, rambling on and on about the tricks that were shown off. As she went on and on, Twilight went to Alex to talk about something of importance.

“You know Alex, I thought your story about this other world and ponies coming and going to be fascinating and even a great opportunity to bridge cultures together. But at the same time, it’s something we should really pay attention to.”

“I agree…” Alex replied. “I’ve been worried about what happens to ponies if I wasn’t around anymore. When the time comes that I am not around to help the ponies that get sent over there, they may be become lost and get into trouble. It might be best to consider some measures to ensure the safety of ponies in the future.”

Twilight raised her eyebrows in surprise. “I’m… a bit shocked that you thought the same thing. Usually, I find a lot of ponies ignoring the situation at hoof, or not even consider the issue.”

“I will admit; I wasn’t too worried until I came here. After spending a couple of days here however, I started to wonder what if a pony is teleported there right now. Without my care nor explanation of the situation.”

“Well, I’m glad you are aware of the issue.” Twilight commented. “Let’s discuss this when we have more time. I happen to know some ponies that would like to hear about this too.”

Just as they agreed to do just that, Spitfire arrived and greeted the group.

“Hey guys. I hope I didn’t keep you waiting too long.”

“Ha, it’s no problem.” Rainbow assured her.

“It’s nice to spend some time with you Spitfire.” Alex told her. “I’m sorry I can’t spend too much time here.”

“It’s no problem. There’s a lot of ponies wanting to see you, huh?” Spitfire guessed.

“Yeah. And I feel that I should go see them now that I have the chance.”

Spitfire smiled and responded to that comment. “You know, a lot of mares like a stallion who is very considerate of others. Is there any pony catching your heart yet?”

Alex looked up and took a moment to think. As he thought about some pony he would care about, only one image came to mind. Celestia. His smile widens and his eyes close calmly. “I guess I have one in mind…”

Rarity gasped and went to Alex with much haste. “You DO!? Who is she!? What is she like!?” Then she gasps. “Is it… Sapphire Shores?”

“Sapphire Shores?” Spitfire repeats.

“You know Sapphire Shores?” Twilight asked.

The ponies in the lobby looked at the group and started to listen in to their conversation. Spitfire sees things getting a bit too much of a gossip, so she quickly gets the group to retreat to another place.


Meanwhile, back in the Alfree Kingdom, Princess Celestia and King Eleron make their way to the meeting room to continue talks of a future trade. As they walked together another mare, equal to the size of Princess Luna, runs into the two.

“Father, are you still discussing things with the Princess?” She asked.

“Yes Goldie, it will only be a few days longer. Worry not.” He assured her.

“I’m not, father.” Goldie smiled warmly at him before turning to Princess Celestia. “I’m glad to meet you at least once during your visit here princess.”

“You must be Eleron’s daughter.” Princess Celestia assumed. “I’ve heard a lot about you.”

“My father does love me well.” She says proudly. “He also cares for many of his friends and allies as well.”

“I’ve noticed. It really shines through, and assures me well.”

“Come now. Enough flattering me.” Eleron chuckled. “Let us move on to the meeting.”

And with that, they continued to discuss the issue some more.


In the locker rooms of the Wonderbolts, the group relaxes some as they continue to talk about small matters, such as the life in the Wonderbolts today and such. Rainbow was enjoying her trip with Spitfire so much, she was thankful to Alex for everything. A moment passes and Soarin comes into the room.

“So this was where you guys decided to hang out.” Soarin noted. “Gotta say, you must have really wanted to talk to Spitfire that you’re willing to put up the stench.”

“I was trying my hardest not to comment on it…” Rarity sighed.

“I don’t mind. It’s not that bad of a smell, really.” Alex assured him. “I should know. There were plenty of ponies that loved getting dirty.”

Dirty, huh?” Rainbow nudged Applejack, almost making her pop her lid.

“Hey, Alex?” Spitfire called.

“Yes Spitfire?”

“Since it’s been a long time and there’s not a ton of ponies we don’t know, mind if you…” She then stretches some before laying on the bench with her back side on bottom. “Give me a rub riiiight here?”

A blank face was splashed onto everyone as Alex sighs and complies. Soarin laughs as he makes a quick, innocent comment on the scene. “You know, if you two got married, Alex would be waiting at home ready to give you a belly rub every day.”

Alex then stares at Soarin in surprise of that joke. Spitfire looked up to Alex and said, “You know… that wouldn’t be so bad.”

The group of ponies awkwardly watch this harmless input turn into a strange event. Rainbow had no idea what to make of it, but thought changing the subject for Alex’s sake would be for the best.

“So, Alex!” She quickly yelped. “Uuh… Where do you plan on visiting next?”

“Oh! Well, there’s a place that I need to go. But it’s pretty dangerous.” He told them. “Luckily, I heard you girls have been through places like this before. If you can take me there, you’d be a great help!”

“Sure, who’s the pony you’re seeing?” Rainbow asked.

“She’s a writer of adventures.”

Author's Note:

Sorry about being inactive as of the late. My friends and I are working on stories that are unfortunately, not related to my work here. I'll try my best to satisfy you all, and make sure the next thing I post will be better.