• Published 9th Jan 2016
  • 9,802 Views, 216 Comments

Alex's Care Taker - SparkStone



When the Care Taker of ponies get sent to Equestria, many rejoice, and many meet the beloved human of the Equines.

  • ...
12
 216
 9,802

Chapter 2

Family Ties

The morning sun shines the spotlight at the building of news and papers. As busy as it should be, all the ponies are staring at the creature along with to mares enter the building with ease. Many wave to Alex, showing familiarity to him, surprising Twilight and Pinkie Pie. In the office of the newsroom, the Editor is at the edge of his seat as three beings enter the room. The two ponies sat with their tall alien friend, who was surprisingly no stranger to all kinds of ponies, especially the editor.

“Alex!?” The News pony exclaimed. “Is that really you!?”

“How many ponies do you know?” Twilight asked, sitting beside him and Pinkie Pie.

“It’s nice to see you again Prints.” Alex grinned. “I’m glad you got the job too.”

“It’s thanks to you ya know!” Printer told him. “I was just exploding with creativity ever since I met you. How’d you get to Equestria anyhow? Did you go through a portal with a pony this time?”

“Honestly, I can’t recall.” Alex shrugged. “But besides that, I have a request.”

“I’ll lay my job down the line for you Alex. Just name it.” Printer told him.

“Don’t worry, it’ll be quite beneficial for you actually.” Twilight told him. “We need you to inform every pony from all across Equestria and so on about Alex arriving in Ponyville.”

“And that there’s a party for his arrival in the next three days!” Pinkie exclaimed.

“Oh… Uh, you got it!” Printer winked. “Is there anything else you needed?”

“Nothing else at the moment.” Twilight told him. She gets up and tugs Alex’s arm. “We have to go now. We have a lot of things to do.”

“Uh, right Twilight.” Alex complied, getting up and following after her. He turns to Printer and waves with gratitude. “Thanks again Printer. I hope we can talk some more.”

“Righto Alex!” He says back.


Passing through the vast sea of apple trees, Applejack leads Alex and the others along the picket fence stretched far around the property of the proud Apple Family. The dirt road shows footsteps of hooves and shoeprints dragging on and on. Finally arriving at the houses themselves, they look up to see the barn house loom over all. The living quarters has a kind old mare sitting on the rocking chair on the porch, kindly creaking without making much of a bother. Applejack’s brother and sister also arrive just finishing their work, giving them all a chance to see Applejack’s new friend. The trio stared with wide eyes and such surprise of this unfamiliar creature.

“Hey every pony!” Applejack called to them. “I’ve got some one I want you to meet!”

“What… is it?” the little mare questioned.

“Now don’t call Him an it, Applebloom. Alex here is a human.” Applejack lectured.

“Don’t worry Applejack.” Alex assured her. “It’s nothing to get riled up about.”

“Alex, hmm?” the old mare spoke, rubbing her chin. “Didn’t you mention some pony named Alex?”

“He’s the one who took care of me when I went missing a couple of years back Granny.” Applejack explained. “It was mighty confusing, even for me. I didn’t want to say much about it since it was pretty farfetched. But now that Alex is here, I can tell you the whole story!”

“Well, ruffle my mane! I didn’t expect this at all.” She stated. “Well, it’s nice to meet you Alex.”

“Nice to meet you too Granny Smith.” Alex grinned.

“How’d you know her name?” Applebloom questioned.

“Applejack told me all about you.” Alex answered. “You must be AJ’s little sister, Applebloom.” He then turned to the brother and said, “And you must be the older brother, Big Macintosh.”

“Eeyup.” Big Mac nodded.

“Whoa! An alien knows me!” Applebloom cheered.

“Applebloom!” Applejack scolded. “He’s a human.”

“Don’t mind it none AJ.” Alex calmed her. “Humans are still technically aliens here. So we should let that one slide.”

Applejack sighed and said, “Well, I don’t want it to get carried away. I know you’ve made a lot of friends in this world, but I’m just afraid that a majority of them won’t be so kind.”

“I’m sure we can work it out somehow.” Alex smiled.

“This guy sure is easygoing.” Rainbow noted.

Alex smirked at the rainbow mare as he crossed his arms and tilted his upper body to the side. “Do you think so?”

Rainbow copied the same body frame Alex had done and replied, “Seems like it.”

“It’s almost lunch time.” Granny Smith told the group. “Would ya like to eat with us dearie?”

“OOH! HEY!” Pinkie shouted. She managed to jump onto Alex’s back and hang on by his shoulders. “Can you make something sweet this time?”

“Don’t even think about it!” Applejack stated. “I’m trying to make Alex’s stay here pleasant. I don’t wanna chalk him up with a bunch of chores.”

“Awwwww…” The girls slurred in a frowning matter. Applejack rolled her eyes and turned to Alex.

“Listen, I’m trying my best here to keep you from pulling too much of a load. You’ve been working your hands to your feet for most of your time with ponies. I just wanna have you enjoy your time with us without having to do most of the work. You understand?”

“Okay AJ, I gotcha.” Alex nodded, his eyes closed in understanding. “I’m the guest. I’ll just… leave it to you guys.”

“Good.” She smiled with triumph. The responsible mare trots in with a happy tune in her mind as she helps cook with Granny Smith.

Rainbow flew to Alex with her head close to his. She then whispered, “Don’t forget to call her mom.”

“Rainbow!” Alex laughed.

Applejack’s head stuck out of the door and asked, “Ya’ll staying to eat too?”

“Nah, I’m gonna head back.” Rainbow told her. “Gotta get to work.”

“Oh, I have to check on the rest of my animals…” Fluttershy stated.

“I wish I could, but the Cakes are going for a quick trip somewhere soon, so I have to watch the kids.” Pinkie informed them.

“I need to get home and start writing some letters.” Twilight told her.

“I understand. Alex, you’re staying to eat though, right?” Applejack raised an eyebrow to make sure.

“Of course. I don’t have any plans.” Alex reminded her.

“Come on in and have a seat then.”


Inside the family friendly home of the Apples, full of knick knacks, pictures, and comfortable couches with matching carpets, the house is filled with simplicity and tradition. Applebloom, Big Mac, and Alex sit patiently at the dining table. The two siblings stare at Alex, unsure of how to start the conversation. Alex looks around the house to continue his admiration for the house of the Apple Family.

“So… How did Applejack go to… wherever?” Applebloom asked.

“She went to my world by the use of a spontaneous portal.” Alex answered.

“Spawn… Spoon… Span… Tan is?” Applebloom worded carefully.

“Spontaneous means random.” Alex explained.

“Oh.”

“I’m not familiar or sure of how they work. They might be what took me to this world, which is ironic. Many ponies before and after your sister would go to my world under the same conditions. The time they stay there varies, but they do return.”

“Okay, I think I understand.” Applebloom nodded. “So, how was it taking care of Applejack?”

“Applejack was at the time injured for working too hard. When I found her outside my yard, she was still awake. She tried to kick me, which is how I got a bruise right here.” Alex pulled back his bangs to reveal a curve mark, which came from the tip of the hoof.

“OOOOOOOH!” Applebloom teased, making it sound like her sister was in trouble. Big Mac snickered some, making Alex shrug and smile.

“Yeah, it was pretty mean, but I still took her in. I told her everything, and she believed me… somewhat. She tried to escape and find a way back home herself. She stayed at my world for two weeks, and at first, she was stubborn.”

“That does sound like Applejack.” Applebloom admitted.

“Don’t tell him that!” Applejack yelled. The table giggled to themselves before continuing the conversation.

“Anyways, she warmed up once she met Rochelle. Once she understood that I wasn’t some sort of monster trying to hold her hostage, she made it easier on me.”

“Wow Applejack! You sure sounded like a baby back then!”

“AUGH! Stop telling her about that time!” Applejack demanded, blushing in embarrassment.

“Now dearie, you need to remember to act more mature than that!” Granny lectured.

“It was a long time ago Granny!” She reasoned.

The two came out with plates of food stacked carefully on their back and on one foreleg. They place the spread on the table, showing off the cooking of the Apple Family. Alex looks around and smiles at the Mushroom Noodle Soup, being served in good portions. The taste swirls on the tongue, and he smiles at the comfort of eating a food cooked by another.

“Tastes good Applejack.” Alex complimented.

“Thanks sugar cube.” Applejack replied.

“Applejack, how come Alex’s doesn’t have daisies in them?” Applebloom questioned.

“Apparently humans don’t like eating flowers.” Applejack shrugged as she sat beside the human.

“Is that true mister Alex?”

“Just… Alex…” He sheepishly grinned. “And yes, humans in fact don’t like to eat flowers. It’s just a taste thing.”

“Do you like apples?” Applebloom asked.

“Yeah, I do.”

“Good enough for me. I was about to say you had weird taste.”

“Applebloom.” Applejack sighed. “Don’t just blurt out rude things.”

“Eeyup.” Big Mac told her.

As the family talked and laughed some, Alex watches. His friend crosses her forelegs as she tells her younger sister how to behave. The older brother casually lets it slide with a reassuring smile to Applebloom, but hides the unneeded kindness from Applejack. And Applebloom is merely having fun. Watching the three live the way they do reminded Alex of something. It reminded him of… how it used to be…

He looks down to his bowl, and his smiling grace slips. Dull eyes fill in and he thinks of what could have been.

… But what could he do about it?

There was nothing he can do… But he still has Aurabelle…

At least she’s okay.

“Alex?” Applejack called to him. “You okay there?”

Alex snaps out of his trance and looks up to a somewhat worried family. He rubs his eyes and feels the tears about to be shed. He looks to them and says, “I was just thinking about something… I’m sorry.”

“Are you sure you don’t want to talk about it?” Granny Smith asked.

“It’s fine. I think we should just return to the meal. It’d be a shame for it to get cold.” Alex told them. The others exchange expressions of slight worry, but continue eating to comfort him. Within the mind, he continues to wonder.


“Strange, I seem to have trouble entering this mind…”

“Rochelle… I’m sorry…”

“Who is this? He sounds… familiar…”

“I didn’t mean to take away your friends. You know your friends won’t leave you, right?”

“Why…”

“Rochelle… Please… Please don’t die… I’m sorry I didn’t listen… I’m sorry I didn’t notice…”

“Why do I feel like I know this… Rochelle…?”

“… I’m a horrible brother…”

“No… You’re not!”

Luna awoke with the sudden spike of energy, commanding her to jolt away from that dream. She holds her head and starts thinking.

“Who is he? Who’s… Rochelle? Why are they so familiar? Why can’t I… remember…?”

She gets up and walks to the window, glancing outside at the stars and the moon. She closes her eyes and thinks.

“There was a time when I wasn’t imprisoned for a while… But what did I do in that time of freedom?” She asked herself. She then corrected her question when another idea comes to mind. “No… What did you do, Nightmare?”

Nothing replies, reminding her that her evil is gone. She sighs in relief and walks to her bed once more. “I know it was painful to be near that dream… but I must find out who it is… and why I feel this way…”

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long wait. I'm working on stuff for my friend. Word is power folks!

By the way, I'm helping do grammar fixes for Ace's original story, "Star Gazer"! It updates every Saturday. Earlier on Tapastic, and another on his Deviant art. Check it out!
Star Gazer on Tapastic
Star Gazer on Deviant Art