• Published 19th Nov 2015
  • 4,205 Views, 67 Comments

Recycled - Trick Question



Take a walk backwards through time to see Twilight's unconventional solution to dealing with her friends' mortality.

  • ...
28
 67
 4,205

1002 Anno Solequus

"Announcing Her Royal Highness, Princess Twilight Sparkle," said the guard. Twilight stepped into the throne room and began a slow-paced walk to the thrones upon which two alicorn sisters sat.

The sound of the door shutting echoed throughout the chamber. No guards remained. Princess Luna tapped her hoof impatiently against her throne as Twilight slowly approached.

"Congratulations, Princess Twilight Sparkle," said Princess Celestia, with a smile. She stood up from her throne and walked down to meet her former student. Luna followed suit, but she wasn't smiling.

"Yes, congratulations, et cetera. I detest this 'small-talking', so let us get to the point," griped Luna. "Twilight, please explain. Why did you not inform us of this?"

"I've... been busy," said Twilight. Her shimmering mane billowed magically in the air as though a breeze were blowing, just like the alicorns facing her.

"Twilight, we're concerned. Is there something you're not telling us?" asked Celestia.

"Should there be?" asked Twilight.

Luna scoffed. "You stand before us now wearing your mantle, at twice the height when we last met nary a month prior, and dare play the foal! Why do you hide from us, Twilight Sparkle?" she said. "And how in the Moon above did you reach apotheosis so rapidly?"

Twilight cleared her throat before speaking. "My friends dug up the roots of The Golden Oak Library. They made magical ornaments from the time I spent there, and hung the lot in my throne room. It was a sweet gesture, and it touched me on a personal level. Then I went to bed," said Twilight, her voice strangely flat and dispassionate. "That night, I had dark dreams where I saw things that would happen in the future. Then I awoke to find I had transformed."

Celestia sighed and held a hoof to her temple. "Twilight, we're exceedingly happy for you, but this is unprecedented. It takes decades of personal growth for an alicorn to obtain her mantle," Celestia said. "If you've managed to do it in less than a year's time, you must be tapping into some kind of dangerous power source, even if you don't know what it is. But the fact that we had to learn of your apotheosis by way of rumor suggests you do know."

"No," said Twilight. "It only means I foresaw that this meeting would happen in my dream. I chose to delay speaking with you both because I already knew you wouldn't be satisfied with my explanation. This is not a conversation I've been looking forward to."

"I detected no unusual dreams on the night in question, and if your apotheosis happened in your dreams as you suggest, I most certainly would have noticed," said Luna. "The entire dreamscape would have lit up like the Sun! I do not believe your feeble story. Your prediction of dissatisfaction appears to have come true."

"If you've had a vision of this meeting already, then perhaps you already know we would like to run a few simple tests on you," said Celestia.

"Yes, I do," said Twilight.

"Very good. And you shall permit this, of course," said Luna.

"No," said Twilight. "I'm sorry."

A stern look crossed Celestia's delicate face. "Sorry does not begin to describe what I am feeling right now, Twilight Sparkle," she said. "What are we supposed to think of this? You're already the most talented mage in all of Equestria, you develop an overwhelming amount of power in a single night, and now you won't even let us examine you? For what reason? What are you hiding, Twilight? Please, do not place this wedge between us!"

Twilight sighed and closed her eyes. "This is the part where you tell me I'm banished from Equestria until I agree to let you examine me with magic. Then I refuse, and Ponyville and the surrounding areas officially become a separate country enclaved within Equestria."

Celestia bowed her head. "At least I don't have to say it. Yes, the ultimatum is exactly that. I hope with all my heart that you come to your senses soon. We both care for you, Twilight Sparkle. While our actions are solely in defense of Equestria, I value you as a friend, and I will dearly miss your presence."

"It will be many years before we speak again," predicted Twilight.

"But why, Twilight?" asked Luna, the expression on her face pained. "What are you hiding from us? Are you being blackmailed? Is some ancient evil upon you? We could help if only you would tell us! Do not flee from us like a cowardly foal!"

Twilight shrugged, turned around, and walked away.