• Published 16th Nov 2015
  • 805 Views, 19 Comments

Hope - Flutterbat276



After failing at becoming a Wonderbolt somehow, Rainbow becomes saddened by her defeat. A friend of hers comes and tries to help before it's too late.

  • ...
1
 19
 805

Chapter Three: Denial Part 1

"I'm a failure Derpy! A failure!" Rainbow wailed between sniffles and audible cries. Derpy hadn't removed her wing from Rainbow's back.

"No you're not Rainbow! You are a great flyer! They just think you're too good for the team!" Derpy tried. She was determined to make her friend feel better, but to no avail.

"But that means that I tried too hard to get into the Wonderbolts! They think I'm desperate! A silly filly who is too much!" Rainbow yelled. She had caught the attention of a few residents below, who had started to gather under the flying cloud home of Ponyville's best flyer and weather control caption, not to mention the barer of one of the Elements of Harmony and one of the best friends of a princess.

"Rainbow Dash!" a familiar voiced called to her. She turned to see none other than the Wonderbolt himself, Soarin'. She had been one of his biggest fans ever! And there he was in his suit, which mocked her.

"What?" Dash replied, putting her head back in her hooves as she sniffled loudly. Derpy finally stopped her relentless wing wrapping and backed off to give the two space. She even considered flying back to the mail room, but just flew over and sat on the nearest cloud.

"I came to check on you. I care about you and..."

"Save the stupid sappy stuff, Soarin'! I failed at becoming the thing I dreamed of becoming my entire life! How am I supposed to go on like this! I just need some space..." Rainbow said. Soarin' was a bit overprotective of her sometimes, but she had never known why. She had planned on questioning him when she got into the Wonderbolts, but all of Equestria knew how that turned out by then.

"Dash, I..."

"I said save the sappy stuff!" Rainbow snapped. "I can prove to Spitfire that I'm more than just a show flyer! I can prove myself! I can be a Wonderbolt like you!" Rainbow continued. Soarin' knew this process all too well. Grief. Stage one: denial.

"Rainbow, I know that this was your dream all your life, but you don't have anything left to prove! You gave your all at tryouts, and I should know! I watched them! It was the most graceful flight routine I've ever seen! I'm sure you'd make an excellent entertainer, but you just have to..." Soarin' said, being cut off early by Rainbow once more.

"You watched my tryouts? That's....weird...." Rainbow stated. She shook her head. "That aside, I know you wanna help, but let me handle this! I'll go back up there and demand that I get accepted tomorrow!"

Soarin' shook his own head, knowing that she'd be at stage two by then. Anger.

Author's Note:

Part of Dash's grieving process. Here we go...