• Published 6th Nov 2015
  • 934 Views, 11 Comments

I Dreamt to Fly - MrDynasty



Proceeding the events of "I Dream to Fly", Scootaloo's dreams of learning to fly slowly become a reality.

  • ...
0
 11
 934

7: A Long Time Coming.

It was the next day after Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Applebloom had hung out; they didn't end up doing any cutie mark crusading, but at least they chatted and had fun. Spike was sleeping soundly in his small bed, still being tired as it was quite early on in the morning as well.

His deep slumber was rudely interrupted by the sound of thumping books, giving out a quiet groan and pulling his small duvet over him more. Sadly the increased cover from his bed didn't do much to dampen the many sounds of books being used. It prompted him to groggily get out of bed and walk towards the main room of the castle.

Twilight was sitting at the table, still rereading books she previously read but at a much faster pace, almost glossing over them occasionally. She stopped from hearing Spike clear his throat however, turning her view to face him. Spike looked tired and still half asleep as he rubbed his head. “Twilight, could you maybe be a bit quieter with the stuff… I can't sleep with all that noise!” He said.

Twilight smiled nervously, not realizing she woke her assistant. “Whoops, sorry Spike. I'll be quiet while you go back to sleep, sorry I woke you up.” She said, closing her book. Spike didn't respond much, just heading back to his bed in the hopes of being able to sleep again.

In order to not disturb Spike's slumber, Twilight decided it'd be a good idea to read outside again like she used to. She picked up some books with her magic and flew out the castle as to not make any trotting noises from her exit. Once outside she sat down at the side of her castle and began reading again.

The time was around half past six in the morning, the sun already having dawned over most of Equestria. Despite the clear sky and beaming sun, it wasn't a very hot day, but it also wasn't a cold day either. The temperature was comfortable and relaxing, with a light breeze brushing up against Twilight helping to make the day feel like one of the best this year.

Twilight would have gone and visited Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo, just to see how they were doing and maybe even watch as Scootaloo was being taught. But she didn't want to leave Spike all alone when he woke up, despite knowing that he was old enough to handle himself anyway. She just thought it would be rude of her to just leave like that without a notice.

“Hmm… I could leave a note though. I'm sure Spike wouldn't mind it if I left for a bit to let him sleep.” She said talking to herself. She took most of the books back inside the castle, flying inside as to not disturb Spike's sleep again. Using her magic, she picked up a piece of paper and a quill to write a note that stated she was going to Rainbow Dash's for a bit.

When she finished writing it she placed it down on the table she was constantly at, making sure that Spike would be able to see it easily when he woke up. Afterwards she flew back outside again, levitating the two books she left on the grass back over to her and flying towards Rainbow Dash's hard to miss cloud house.

She liked to take in the scenery wherever she went, admiring the lovely contrast of Ponyville and its inhabitants as she flew over most of the buildings. Despite everything that went on through the years that she had been in Ponyville, it still retained that sense of friendship and friendliness that she eventually grew to love.

It didn't take her that long to reach Rainbow's cloud house as she flew over to the front door and knocked on it. “It's me Twilight! I decided to come over to check up on how you and Scootaloo were doing.” She said as she stopped flying. She waited a couple seconds before noticing there was no response, meaning that the two pegasi were most likely out at this moment in time.

She trotted over to the edge of the cloud house and peered over it, looking for any sign of the two pegasi. Upon scanning the landscape, she did notice something in the far distance of an open field nearby. She decided to check it out anyway, hopping off of the cloud house and flying over towards the field.

When she got close enough, she finally managed to see that it was Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo training. Scootaloo was hovering in the air again, except she seemed to be moving much more confidently and fluidly than before. Moving forward wasn't an issue and going side to side was getting there, but she quickly lost her balance when trying to hover backwards.

Rainbow Dash quickly held her up again as she was about to fall from trying to go backwards. “Careful there Squirt, you almost lost your balance again. Although I don't blame you, it is pretty tricky going backwards at first, even if you're pretty good at going side to side. It isn't an essential right now though, so don't worry if you don't get the hang of it soon enough.” She said as she gave Scootaloo a small push forward.

Twilight flew down next to Rainbow Dash, making the Pegasus look slightly surprised. “Twilight? What are you doing here?” the cyan Pegasus asked as Scootaloo turned around and hovered back over to them.

Twilight smiled to her rainbow maned friend. “I came over to see how you two were doing. I tried your house but you weren't in, so I looked around and saw you in this field. I was thinking I could stay and watch as Scootaloo learnt to fly, maybe get a good idea of what exactly is helping her.” The purple mare said.

Rainbow Dash promptly rolled her eyes with a small grin. “That's the nice way of saying my notes didn't satisfy you I'm guessing. But I don't see why you couldn't watch, unless Scootaloo was uncomfortable with it or something.” She said as she looked over to the hovering filly. Scootaloo just shook her head, not seeming to mind if Twilight watched or not.

Twilight then sat down beside Rainbow Dash, putting the book she was carrying onto the ground and opening it. Rainbow Dash only continued from where they left off before Twilight came over; trotting over to Scootaloo before manually changing the filly's posture mid-air. “Okay, when you hover backwards, try to rise while you propel yourself back with your wings. Don't let your balance get too off though, just stop and wait until you're comfortable enough to keep going.” She said with a smile.

Scootaloo did as Rainbow Dash said, letting herself start to hover backwards. It didn't take long before her balance nearly got thrown off; stopping and waiting like her carer had told her to do before she continued to move backwards again. While it was far from perfect, it was the first time she didn't end up on her backside upon trying it.

Rainbow Dash was proud of the filly, knowing that even she struggled back when she didn't know how to fly. Scootaloo's progress was incredible to the cyan Pegasus, having only taken a couple days before she was somewhat comfortable moving in most directions in the air. “You did fantastic! I knew you would be able to do it with a little bit of practice!” The cyan Pegasus said as Scootaloo just smiled in happiness.

It was motivating to hear the pony she always admired complementing her; she knew that without Rainbow Dash's help she probably wouldn't have gotten too far by herself. “Thanks Rainbow Dash! I couldn't have done it without you!” She said, floating back down to the ground and heading over to hug Rainbow Dash's leg.

Twilight was intrigued by how much Scootaloo had learnt in less than a week when somehow she never learnt much in the past four years before then. The gears were still turning in her head as she watched on.

Rainbow Dash had leaned down and gave Scootaloo a small nuzzle, thinking that doing it quick would mean less people saw her being such a softy. After the filly's grip had broken away, Rainbow Dash wanted to see if Scootaloo could take it one step further. “Alright Squirt, I think you might be ready to try and fly. Not anything extreme or super cool mind you, but just simple flying.”

She expected a nervous or un-ready response from Scootaloo, but to her surprise, the filly was more excited than nervous. Knowing she was comfortable with trying it out, she flew up into the air and picked Scootaloo up with her, lifting her over her head. She wanted to be close to the filly in case anything happened.

“Alright, I'm going to fly forward at a slow pace. I want you to extend your legs out like all the other pegasi do when flying fast; I'll support you at first, but when you're ready I'll let you control yourself.” Rainbow Dash said, holding Scootaloo up from her stomach with her hoof. The cyan pegasus made sure to have them going in the direction of a large area with nothing in it, just so Scootaloo wouldn't bump into anything by accident.

The filly extended her legs into the common flying position as Rainbow Dash started out slow at first, just easing the filly in. When she felt that Scootaloo was ready, she started to speed up to a jogging style pace with the filly now flapping her wings as if she was actually flying.

Rainbow Dash carefully pulled her hoof away from supporting Scootaloo, seeing if she would be able to fly by herself. Scootaloo did notice the lack of Rainbow's physical support, wanting to imagine it was still there as she tried her best to remain composed.

After a couple seconds without Rainbow Dash's help, Scootaloo looked down and quickly gained a grin, feeling a sense of wonderment and glee as she realized that she was finally flying. “I'm flying! I'm flying!” She said excitedly, making Rainbow Dash's expression change to that of amazement as well. She had never felt prouder in the filly than she did now, that after so long she was finally able to achieve what she always wanted to do.