• Published 12th Nov 2015
  • 422 Views, 1 Comments

A Young Bond Builds - HeartBeat



Bright Valor, our protagonist, meets a cute pony in his school who is being bullied, while he himself is being abused. When Bright helps her frown turn upside down, their friendship moves on to something more.

  • ...
 1
 422

The Beginning

The school bell rings loudly, children pouring from every door for lunch. Some ponies eat or play happily with their friends. But as for our young protagonist, Bright Valor, his story is different...

"S-Stop... C'mon guys, please!" The struggling colt groaned, his body pinned up against the fence behind a large tree in the playground. The three bullies, Arid, Zoom, and Buzz had been treating him like dirt ever since he showed weakness. Bright Valor never stood up to anyone, never spoke out, or even tried to stop the abuse. He was weak; always weak... As strong as he wanted to be at times, the poor colt never had the strength to push back.

"What? What did you say, wimp?" Arid, he 'leader' of the bullies, asked with a sly grin.

"Stop it! It hurts!" He whined out, wincing as the fence began to bruise his side.

"Oh! Well let me help you!" Arid said with a sarcastic voice and pushed him down into the dirt, away from the gate.

Bright hit the ground hard, rolling a few feet before coming to a stop. He stumbled to his hooves with tears filling in his eyes which glared at the three bullies with hate. He kept silent and stood at the gate, cornered by them. They began to get closer and laugh. Buzz grabbed his saddle bags and threw it's contents in the dirt. Zoom shoved Bright against the gate again. The weak, young pony closed his eyes and just let it happen.

"C'mon, shrimp! Fight back!" Zoom laughed pushing him again.

"Whatever, guys. The baby, here, has a mess to clean up." Said Arid, trotting away. The other two followed close and laughed as they trotted towards the playground.

Bright looked at his books and scattered papers that were thrown out in the dirt. He picked them up and slid them back into his bags. Bright threw the bags on his back and hung his head low and began to trot to the tree to eat his lunch alone. He sat down under the tree and looked at himself in a puddle of water next to him. His eyes held dark rings under them. His lips seemed to be sealed shut, because they rarely move to speak. His black and cyan mane covered one of his eyes. He sighed and closed his eyes and leaned his head back on the tree. He heard the bullies laughing and he looked over to see the group messing with the new pony. Bright watched from a distance as they hit the muffin out of her hands. She looked down at the pastry and watched as the bullies trot by and kick dirt on the muffin. He felt his heart crumble, even more than it was already. He waited for the bullies to leave her and he began to make his approach. The gray mare gazed at the brown muffin as it laid in the mud with tears in her eyes. Bright move closer to her and sat down on the bench next to her. He reached into his lunch bags and pulled out a cookie. She glanced at the cookie and then back to the only pony who, in her eyes, seemed to care for her. He held an innocent smile on his face as he held out his lunch's treat. She smiled and brushed the tears from her eyes.

"Thank you," She said gently taking the cookie from his hoof. "Nopony has really been generous to me."

"You're welcome. They mess with me too..." He said looking down to the dirt.

"I'm Ditzy Doo." She said holding out a hoof.

"My name's Bright Valor." He said, smiling and taking her hoof.

They sat together and enjoyed each other's company. Bright never really talked to anypony, because he is afraid if he messes up, no pony will like him. But with Ditzy, he felt calm and free to speak his mind. They would laugh at their jokes and told each other stories. The bell rang again, and the ponies began making their way back into the schoolhouse.

Bright and Ditzy trotting back into their class and sat down next to each other. Mrs. Cheerilee handed everyone a piece of paper and some colored pencils. Bright's mind wondered as he drew. He thought back on how comfortable and safe he felt around Ditzy at lunch. The young pony looked over to Ditzy, who was calling his name. She held up her paper and showed a tube of bubbles and small muffins around the paper. Bright held up his paper and Ditzy began to giggle. He raised an eyebrow and looked at the paper, not realizing that he subconsciously drew Ditzy sitting with him on the bench while he thought. He set the paper down on his desk and began to blush.

"I think it looks pretty good." Ditzy said looking over his hooves to see the drawing again.

"Your drawing is good, too!" Bright said leaning over to see her paper aagin.

Later the bell rang and everypony turned in their drawings. Bright packed his books in his bags and threw the bags on his back. He trotted out the door and saw Ditzy in the hall.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Ditzy!" He said as he trotted by her.

"See ya!" She said waving to her new friend.

The colt smiled and began his walk to his home. He felt his heart was warmer than ever. As he thought back on that mare, his cheeks felt warm and light headed. A smile stayed on his face all the way home. The house came into view and he trotted to the door and opened it.

"I'm home! Anypony here?" He said with a large smile on his face.

"I'm in the living room, and your father is still at work!" Called his mother from across the house. He trotted by her with a grin on his face.

"Well! Hello, Mr. Happy! Did you make a new friend or something?" Diamond asked following him up the stairs.

"Yeah.. I guess I did." He said with a smile glued on his face.

"Oh! So, what's his name?" She asked walking to the door to his room.

"Her name is Ditzy." He said to his mom.

"Ooooh... Is she cute? Is she going to be your mare-friend?" She teased.

"Aww, c'mon mom!" He said shutting his door. He heard his mother laughing as she went back downstairs. He looked at himself in his mirror. He saw that the dark rings around his eyes had began to fade to his normal light-blue color. He smiled and thought back on his time with her. He was excited to know Ditzy, and loved being friends with her.