• Published 7th Dec 2015
  • 3,451 Views, 66 Comments

We Rent the Night - totallynotabrony



Trixie chooses to join the Lunar Guard instead of serving prison time.

  • ...
4
 66
 3,451

Chapter 7

Sea’s Share talked. Not willingly, but it was amazing how not believing in the gods of war could loosen a pony’s lips.

Trixie had been there for most of the questioning, and between testimony from all the detainees, they’d pieced together most of the picture.

The Guards met in the hallway to discuss the case.

“Most of the testimony we gathered supports Trixie’s conclusions,” said Lieutenant Mirror. “Except for the part about the cult. Here I thought we were dealing with bunch of doomsday ponies. Freaking cultists can’t even run cults right anymore.”

Trixie thought Mirror was just sore at being proven wrong, but she didn’t seem to be taking it too badly.

“Sea’s Share is complaining you two ruined her house,” said Hasta.

“It was just two doors, Sergeant,” said Melon.

“That you destroyed.”

“Sorry, Sergeant. I just really, really like breaking down doors.”

Trixie saw a blood vessel about to burst in Hasta’s forehead and quickly added, “Which enabled us to save a kid from a criminal mastermind.”

“Sounds good to me,” said Mirror. “Excellent work, both of you. In fact, Trixie, you’ve shown so much initiative in such a short time that I’m promoting you to Corporal.”

“Oh.” Trixie blinked. “That’s...so unexpected. Thank you, ma’am.”

“Come to my office and we’ll get the paperwork done.” Mirror gestured and turned away.

Trixie followed. Behind her, she heard Melon’s big hooves start to applaud. It was gradually adopted piecemeal by the others.

In the office, Mirror gestured for Trixie to close the door and said, “You’ve really taken to this job. That wasn’t the attitude I got from you six months ago. Have a seat.”

Trixie took the chair across from her. “Well ma’am, maybe not as much as you think. I still don’t like being here.”

“Nopony likes being here. Nopony comes here by choice.” Mirror shrugged and opened a folder that had Trixie’s name on it.

“I just think maybe this promotion is out of place,” said Trixie. “I’m leaving as soon as my term is over.”

Mirror’s eyebrows went up. “You’re displaying an awful lot of effort for being a short-timer. Are you sure you don’t want to stay in? You’d have a much better duty station next time.”

Trixie shook her head. “I don’t like doing this. I don’t want to do this job at all. I just want to get it over with and go back to doing what I love.”

Mirror steepled her hooves for a moment. “I may not agree with your motivation, but I respect a job well done.”

Respect. If Trixie was being honest with herself, what more did she want?

“If your special talent is illusions, why don’t you pretend to like what you’re doing?” Mirror asked.

Trixie stared at her. “I…” She looked away. “With all the illusions...I realized I didn’t know how much is really me.”

“You know what you want,” Mirror said. “You know what you like. I think you know who you are, and also who you want to be.”

It didn’t seem so simple, but Trixie had three years, six months, and eight days to figure it out. She nodded.

Mirror put the paperwork in front of Trixie. “I’ll need your signature here if you wish to accept the appointed rank.”

Trixie signed it. Mirror closed the folder. “One last thing. Canterlot stopped automatically issuing new rank insignia. If you want this promotion, you’ll have to send off for some Corporal chevrons.”

Trixie smiled. “Can I rent them?”