• Published 17th Jun 2012
  • 1,466 Views, 10 Comments

May - 2012 (T.W.G.) - The Writer's Group



A mix of ludicrous and a dash of WUT.

  • ...
1
 10
 1,466

Moments worth Sharing - TheBardBrony

Author: TheBandBrony

Prompt: Celestia and Cake.

Title: Moments worth Sharing


Princess Celestia sat on the cold, stoic tile of the royal balcony overlooking the better half of East Canterlot. The royal wedding and subsequent afterparty that had only ended a few short hours ago had really worn her out, but she wanted to take a moment, however brief, to enjoy the cooling night air.

Alone.

Loneliness was the worst kind of pain possible. That stomach churning need for the companionship of others that slowly but surely tightened her chest like her heart had been caught in a vice. Only others could heal this hurt. And she had nopony.

She didn’t have her prized pupil, who was out orchestrating the clean up (a very audacious task, considering the scale of the party). She didn’t have her sister, who was off searching the farthest reaches of Equestria for any remaining Changelings. She didn’t even have her loyal subjects, who were napping the night away, blissfully unaware of their leader’s lament.

She was completely and totally alone.
Knock Knock

“Now who could that be?” wondered Celestia aloud as she got up and trotted towards the door of the balcony, a confused look creeping onto her face. She wasn’t expecting anypony. Perhaps it was a lost partygoer who unknowingly wandered into her private quarters. Or maybe one of her aides, carrying another stack of paperwork for her to fill out.

“Um, Princess? Are you there?”

Celestia recognized the pony even before she opened the door; she only knew one pony with a voice that soothing and innocent..

“Fluttershy! How are you this evening?” The princess smiled wearily at the butter yellow pegasus as she bowed to her ruler. “Please, you know I don’t like such formalities. Please rise.”

The pony cringed, hiding her face behind her mane. “Oh, I’m so sorry! I just forgot, and-I’m sorry...” she trailed off into indecipherable mumbling, punctuated by weak “I’m sorry’s.”

“It’s okay, really.” Celestia snickered inwardly at the pegasus’s introversion. “What did you come out here for, if I may ask?”

Fluttershy perked up a bit, poking her face out of her mane. “Oh, yes.” From under her wing, she produced a small paper plate wrapped in foil. “Pinkie brought our a cake after you left, so I saved you a slice. If you want it, I mean.”

Deep inside Celestia, a tiny fireworks display showered her mind with sparks as a warm, fuzzy feeling welled up inside her. “Oh-why... thank you Fluttershy. That was very kind.” Grasping the plate in a magical aura, she levitated it out to her previous perch on the balcony.

“I’m glad you liked it. I should be going then.” Fluttershy turned to leave, but stopped mid stride as Celestia rested a regal hoof on her shoulder.

“Actually... would you like to stay for a while? I’d love some company.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t want to impose-”

The princess waved her hoof dismissively. “Nonsense. I couldn’t imagine a better way to spend the evening.”

After a moment of hesitation, she nodded. “Okay. That sounds lovely.” As she made herself comfortable on the cold tile of the balcony, she sighed softly, causing her mane to quiver a bit. “This is very nice.”

The princess gave the horizon a smile. Suddenly, the world didn’t seem so empty anymore. “Yes,” she finally answered, “it really is.”