• Published 4th Nov 2015
  • 27,670 Views, 742 Comments

Dash Tries to Win Your Heart - Flutterpriest



You've had your eyes set on Applejack for a long time. Maybe your best friend Rainbow Dash can help you earn Applejack's heart. You wouldn't see why not. Besides, she's your best bro. Right?

  • ...
66
 742
 27,670

Cinnamon Apples

Two ciders slosh in front of you and Dash, and you hand the bartender a handful of bits to compensate him.

"Thanks, man."

"No problem," he curtly replies before heading off to other patrons.

"So, what are you going to do now?" Dash asks before taking a sip of her drink.

"Well, first, I'm going to take a drink of this cider," you say before taking a long drink. However, the humor seems lost on her.

"That's not what I mean. What are you going to do now that, well."

You sigh to yourself and look upward to the ceiling. Honestly, you hadn't thought this far just yet. You were so concerned with feeling sorry for yourself that you hadn't thought about what productive next steps would be.

"Well, I'll probably focus on me now, I guess. Workout more. Try new foods. Read more books."

You smile and nudge Rainbow in the wing.

"And of course, be a thorn in my friend’s sides."

Rainbow smiles and raises her drink towards you at that, before taking another large drink.

"I think that's smart," she says. "Sounds like you got this under control. Just be sure to stay away from ice cream. That's always my downfall after things like this."

You turn to look at Rainbow for a second as she sips her drink.

Wait a second. Wait just one second. Rainbow's never talked about a romantic interest before. You always thought she was 'too cool' for relationships or something like that. Or she was always so busy doing Element of Harmony things or wonderbolting... or whatever the act of being in the wonderbolts is, that she wouldn't have time for a special somepony. And now she's saying that she eats ice cream when she's let down? Which... implies it's happened multiple times?

She looks towards you, studying your expression.

"What?"

"You've just never talked about romance before," you say. "I'm a little surprised."

"Yeah. I have," she says to you. "I had to."

"Not really. Come on, spill it."

She shakes her head and looks to her drink.

"Heh, I'm sure you don't want to hear the gory details of all that. Besides, it was never anything serious. Idle things here and there. I haven't dated anypony in a long time," she says.

You playfully move your head down to her eye level. She looks over at you, confused.

"Come ooon."

"What?" she says.

You move your head a bit closer.

"Come ooonnnn."

"What? No. It's dumb."

You move in closer.

"Comeooooonnnnnnnn."

Rainbow Dash blushes and moves her head away from you.

"Fine. Fine, sheesh!"

She smiles to herself as she takes another sip.

"There was this one guy, back in flight school," she says. "He was smart. Funny. Heh, kind of a dork. But it just seemed like he never noticed me. I tried everything I could think of to show him I was interested. I did cool tricks. Beat training records. But he just... didn't see it."

She frowns to herself before taking a drink.

"That always seems to be my problem. I can't just... tell somepony how I feel. I guess I just feel weak whenever I open up about my feelings," she goes on. "Not like you. You set your mind to what you wanted and... just did it."

Rainbow looks down into her drink, frowning to herself.

"You seem to open up to me just fine," you say to her with a smile.

Dash stares into her drink, watching the bubbles rise to the surface.

"I suppose."

"It's all about timing, Dash," you say to her. "It really is. I'm sure you'll find somepony. And I'll find somepony too."

She smiles and looks over to you with a crude smile.

"Is this where we do one of those 'if we can't find someone in ten years, we'll meet back here at this same spot and start dating'?" she asks.

You laugh to yourself, covering your face with your hand.

"Oh god. That's a new level of cheesy, Dash. Have you been reading Twilight's Daring Doo fanfiction again?"

Rainbow blushes and waves her hooves.

"Twilight's writing ability has nothing to do with this current conversation. So leave Daring Doo and the Unusual Quest out of this."

"Sure, Dash. Sure," you say to her.

You take a drink of your cider and find your mug empty. Dash pushes hers aside too and raises her hoof to the bartender for another round.

"So, what are you doing with your mental health day tomorrow?" you ask.

"Heh, hopefully not nursing a hangover," she says.

"No, really. If we're both playing hooky, we might as well not do it alone."

She looks up at you and there's something in her eyes that you can't place. It almost looks like... pain? That doesn't make sense. Why would she be hurting at the idea of hanging out tomorrow?

"I dunno. I just..." she says.

"Come on! It'll be a great time! It'll just be us. We can hit up a movie or something. It'll be great!"

The bartender brings over two more ciders and drops them in front of the two of you. Rainbow puts some bits on the counter and looks at the drinks carefully.

"You know what, why not?" she says. "It sounds like a good time. I think I'd like that."

"Awesome. Consider it-"

Rainbow turns to you with a wary eye.

"Done," you finish.

She looks back to her drink, silent.

"You know, Anon..." she says.

"Yeah?" you ask, taking a drink of your cider.

"I... uh," she says, but she trails off and takes another drink of her cider. "I just. Uh."

"What's up, Dash?" you ask. "Everything alright?"

She looks at you, then back to her drink.

"I, uh. I think. I think I know what this cider needs!" She waves a hoof again to the bartender. "Have you ever had a cinnamon apple before?"

You shake your head.

"I've never heard of it."

The bartender trots over to the two of you, looking to Rainbow Dash.

"Can we make these cinnamon apples?" she asks.

"Smart choice," the bartender says before pulling out a bottle of whiskey from under the counter.

With a quick motion of hooves, four shot-glasses appear on the bar and he deftly pours four shots of whiskey.

"Can you guys clear some of your glasses for me?" he asks.

You and Rainbow both comply, draining your current drinks to about two-thirds full. Then, he dumps in a shot in each, and then drops the final shot glass in each cup.

"There ya are," he says happily.

Rainbow tosses him some bits as you inspect the glass. The cider got a lot darker in color, but you can't say that it looks bad.

"Well, try it. It tastes just like apple pie. I swear," Rainbow says.

"Alright," you say, raising your glass to the air. "To playing hooky."

She raises her glass and taps it against yours. You bring the cider to your lips and taste the burning cinnamon mixed with the whiskey take effect. It mixes and compliments with the biting apple and gives it a hint of sweetness. It reminds you of the crackle of a campfire, the hint of chill in the air, and of course, the aroma and flavor of apple pie.

"This is amazing."

"Right?" Rainbow says before taking a large gulp of hers. "It's my favorite drink."

"I'm going to have to get these more often," you say to yourself.

"Hey, now that I'm thinking about it. Did I ever lend you that book?"

You turn to her curiously.

"Book? What book?"

Rainbow turns in her seat in shock.

"No way! I SWORE I leant you that book. It's great!"

"What is it?" you ask.

"Oh, it's amazing," she says, taking a deep drink. "So. There's this warrior pegasus, right? And she goes into the forest with her trusty traveling companion..."

And so, the two of you drank, talked about books, made plans for tomorrow's day off. Or, 'epic' day off as the two of you nicknamed it. That is, until last call.