• Published 23rd Jul 2011
  • 7,608 Views, 287 Comments

An Azure Future - Krass McWriter



A Human Father and his Pony Son. A TCB story.

  • ...
34
 287
 7,608

Part 10

An Azure Future Part 10





John Norris loomed over a snoozing Azure Wind, his shadow cast over the young pegasus. “Heh heh heh...” He laughed inwardly as he prepped his new super soaker. Lets see you if you sleep through your alarm again. I know I sure didn’t. Let’s give him one last chance. “Hey Azure!” There was no response. Time to super soak his shit. John pulled the trigger. A jet of water drenched Azure. The effect was immediate.

“What the hay dad?!”

John released another torrent.

“Ease up dad! I’m awake! I’m awake!” Azure exclaimed while moving with a purpose out of his bed.

John lit a cigarette and threw a faded black and red trimmed backpack at Azure. “You start school today. This is also the fifth and last time you’ve slept through your alarm. Unless of course you like being woken up with the super soaker.”

Azure examined the backpack. It was of an obvious human design with two large straps for arms. “Dad. This is for humans. I can’t use this thing.” He noted while holding it as if it was contaminated.

John snorted in response. “That is why it has straps you fool.” He adjusted the straps for a pony his size and placed the backpack on Azure. It fit well enough, but the design looked funny on Azure. John stifled a laugh, “Okay, I’ll get you some new saddlebags this weekend. But this’ll work for now.”

“It’s actually surprisingly comfortable. I think I’ll roll with this.” Azure shifted the backpack around into a comfortable position.

“Well thats good.” John took another drag of his cigarette. “Breakfast is on the table, c’mon down when you’ve dried off.” John turned and walked down the stairs. He plopped on the couch and turned on the TV. He flipped to the news. Another debate was on. Usually John would change the channel, but the identity of the debaters caught his attention. It was an old friend representing the HLF, known to John as Tall Guy back in high school, and none other than Grey Crusader representing the PER. John turned up the volume.

“...There were no survivors.” The newspony beamed, ever happy to be spitting headlines. “Now we go to a live interview of The founder of the Human Liberation Front and the founder of the Ponfication for Earth’s Rebirth for their thoughts on the closing of all conversion bureaus and recalling of all the ponification serum. We go live to Mr. Frank Dunland your thoughts on this Frank?”

“You will address me as Mr. Dunland.” The man shot a glare at the camera.

“Sorry. Mr. Dunland, what do you think about the closing of all the conversion bureaus?” The newspony corrected.

The man that John once considered a friend had a pleased look on his face. “As a representative of the H.L.F., I am quite pleased at the turn of events. Maybe now, between the founding of the International Human Survival Association and the halting of ponifications, the human race may once again take up their mantles as the owners and sole proprietors of Earth.” The smugness in his face and tone made John want to punch him square in the face.

Azure had finally made his way down stairs, he grabbed the vegetarian breakfast and joined his father. “Whatcha watching?” he asked.

“Two old friends go at it. Shhhhh.” John was immersed in the debate.

The newspony was back on the television. “Well, good luck with that Mr. Groebirch. Now, Grey Crusader, can I call you Grey?” It switched over to a grey pony who had a victoriously waving white flag that had the latin word ‘Veni, Vidi, Vici’ in it on his flank that John was all too familiar with, who simply nodded in response. “Good. Now Gray, your group’s goal, if I remember correctly, is a complete character foil of the HLF. Consisting entirely of ponies, you aim to ponify and ‘cleanse’ humanity. What are your plans now that the conversion bureaus are closed and the serum recalled?”

“Well Mr. Front Page, PER retains the ability to produce serum if we so choose. We will continue to cleanse the earth of its filth for its eventually rebirth at the hands of the goddesses.

“So am I to understand that PER still has ponification serum?” The newspony replied.

“No comment.” The reply was as simple as it was ominous.

The newspony cleared his throat. “So any last remarks?”

“Superabimus, we shall prevail!” The human exclaimed with passion. Grey just shook his head, respectfully declining.

“All right, that wraps this up.In other news the human race now stands a feeble one millio-” The newspony started, before John shut off the television. Well fuck. He cracked his neck and sighed.

He got up off the couch and grabbed his keys off the kitchen counter. “Come on son, once more to the truck-mobile. Then onwards to school.” John continued, not even bothering to check if Azure was behind him. The only confirmation he had was the sound of his hooves against the floor.

The stairs were mostly empty, except for some of the staff, who were about their various duties. The pair went down at a moderate pace reaching the lobby in two and a half minutes. He walked outside and was greeted by a rare sight, an overcast sky. John noted the occasion but kept moving to his truck.

He hit the unlock button on his truck fob, to which the truck chirped in response. They covered the rest of the short distance and John opened the driver’s door. Sitting down he leaned over and opened the door for Azure. “Hop in kiddo, I got candy.”

Azure chuckled at poor joke, “You’re so silly.” Then jumped into the car. “So where are we going?” The young pony asked.

“I told you, you’re going to school.” John replied while turned the keys in the ignition and the engine roared to life.

“Well, duh. But where? Is it down the block? Other side of town? Whats the school called? Give me something to work with here.” Azure snapped.

John put the truck in drive and started down the street. “Its about three miles from here, it’s called Valencia Park, which is where I went when I was your age. Its a nice little place.” He explained as the truck moved down the empty street, garnering looks from the various ponies on the sidewalk. For the first time. John didn’t mind it.

The truck was silent, but only for a moment when Azure asked a troubled question, “What if none of the other ponies like me?”

John had expected this. He recalled a speech his own father gave him long ago, whenever he needed advice. “Well boy-o, I’m going to give a speech that is an old Norris family tradition, passed down from father to son. Every generation adding to it. One day, you will tell it to your son and add your own bit. Here goes,” John cleared his throat.

“If they don’ like you, that’s their own damn problem. You’re you. That’ all ya are and all ya can be. You can either embrace it, run from it, or fight it. You can also kill yourself, but if ya do that I’ll bring ya back to kill you again. Don’t be afraid to get into a scrap, but try words first for god’s sake. If it does come to a fight, be sure to win, or failing that, take it like a man and don’t give up till he’s done. Don’t go around starting shit neither, nobody likes an asshole who goes around starting shit. Its okay to be afraid. Stand on your own two feet. It’s not okay to let fear stop you. Being afraid and going on in spite of that is the definition of courage. As for recreational drugs, if you got to do it, don’t let it get in the way of life. If you love someone, go for it, disregard what others may say. Love is rare enough and precious in all forms. Don’t abuse the one’s you-”

“Dad.” Azure interrupted.

“What is it?”

“I’m going to school. Not moving out.”

John shrugged, “Tradition dictates I say the whole thing. Almost done anyways. Now where was I? Ah yes. Don’t abuse the ones you love. One last thing, never ever betray those loyal to you. There. You were that close. That betrayal bit was mine.” John hit himself on the chest at the mention of his contribution, obviously proud.

“So what purpose does that speech serve besides killing time and advice?” Azure asked, sounding a little short.

“Well you forgot about being nervous for starters, and second adding to that speech is the step to manhood in this family my little pegasus. Hold onto your ass!” John spun the wheel all the way to the left, throwing Azure against the door and causing the tires to squeal.

“Holy hay!” Azure exclaimed while pressed firmly against the door. The truck pulled into the old school and into one of the many available parking spots.

“We’re here.” The human stated simply.

“I noticed.” Azure retorted while regaining composure. Azure looked out the window, all sorts of ponies his age were going in through the gate. His wings fluttered out and promptly returned flush. “Hey... Can you walk me to my classroom?”

John pondered for a moment and then agreed, “Sure, why the fuck not?” He turned off the engine and threw open his door as the truck shuddered to a halt. He slammed his door, moved around the front and opened Azure’s door. The pegasus hopped out onto the cool blacktop. John threw the door closed.

“C’mon kiddo, it’s this way.” John took the lead, going through the chain link gate. “Now you are in room twenty, which if I remember correctly is...” John hesitated a took a moment to familiarize himself with his old campus. “This way?” he pointed down the hall and to the right from where they stood. He double checked mentally. “Yeah. This way. Follow me.” John once again took point motioning for Azure to follow.

He moved down the hallway and to right. A few doors down was room twenty’s propped open green door. John went into the room first, followed by Azure. The room had about fifteen desks and a teacher’s desk. A majority of the seats were taken. John was surprised to see a multitude of adult ponies in the classroom. He turned to the white board which had ‘BRING YOUR FATHER TO SCHOOL!!!’ Fuck.

“Excuse me, but are you Mr. Wind?” The teacher, a yellow earth pony with a picture of chalkboard on her flank asked.

“Uh... no. I’m John Norris.” John corrected.

“Oh, but I thought you were Azure Wind’s father.”

“I am Azure’s father.” John was confused for moment then it clicked. “This is obviously some sort of big cultural misunderstanding. I am John Norris, thats a human name, My son is a pony, so he has a pony last name in place of a hereditary one.”

“Oh, I see. Well Mr. Norris, you can have a seat back there by Forest Mint. We will begin momentarily. Azure, why don’t you introduce yourself?” The teacher motioned towards the front.

Azure looked to his father, who just shrugged and took a seat in the back. Azure shifted around a little bit. He swallowed then gave a shaky introduction, “H-hi, I’m Azure Wind. I live with my dad.”

The entire class spoke in unison, “Hi Azure Wind!” The teacher instructed Azure to take a seat, Azure complied sitting next to a deep green unicorn filly with a lighter mane of the same color. The filly shot him a bright smile which he returned weakly. If John didn't know better he'd say Azure was blushing slightly.

“John is that you?” Called an all too familiar voice.

John turned to see his old friend, Cream Baker, better known as Grindah. “No shit. What are you doing here broseph?” He beamed.

“The twins are mine.” He motioned toward two identical looking earth pony fillys.

‘No shit, you never told me.”

“You never asked, now shhh. It begins.”

The teacher walked to the front of the class and cleared her throat. The room fell silent and the teacher spoke, “Hello class, for the visitors and new folk, I’m Miss Shale Quarry I was born and a raised on a rock farm. I teach this class. Today is ‘Bring your father to school’ day. We will be having your fathers talk about what they do.” The teacher proceeded to take down a list of the other fathers names, John’s being the last. She called the first up.

A very serious looking white unicorn with vanilla folder cutie mark stepped up to the front of the class. “Hello, I am Dawn Filer.” The deep green filly next to Azure acknowledged her father with a wave. “I am an accountant. I work with numbers, organize files, handle payrolls and do various other work to keep businesses running. Anypony have any questions?” The class was dead silent. Forest Mint shuffled in her chair and her father was a bit flustered.

Shale Quarry called up the next one, An orange earth pony that looked like he could crush boulders with a half hearted buck, in fact that was his cutie mark. “Ah’m Stonebreaker. Ah work construction.” The earth pony drawled in a southern accent. “Questions?” Two hooves shot up. “You.” Stonebreaker pointed at a young orange pegasus.

“What do you do in construction?” The pegasus asked.

“Ah usually haul around beams and clear land fer development. Ah do what’s required of me though.” He answered. “Next.”

The question came from Forest Mint whom John noticed Azure was just a little shy from full on staring at. John enjoyed an inward laugh at the sight. “What kind of things do you build?”

“All sorts o’ things, playgrounds, bakeries, houses... Whatever needs built really.” He paused. “Anypony else got a question?” The class didn’t respond. “Okay then. Guess I’ll take a seat.” The earth pony moved slowly to a seat in the back. There were only three ponies left then it was John’s turn.

The next one called up to the whiteboard was a Pegasus wearing a flight suit. “Hi!” He was bursting with energy, “I’m Blitz! I’m the captain of the local weather team!” The hooves of all four pegasi in the class instantly shot up. “Yes?” He pointed at Azure. This should be interesting.

“Exactly what does your job entail given your leadership position versus a casual member of the weather team?” Azure asked.

The well spoken question caught Blitz by surprise, obviously whatever he rehearsed did not entail such a question. “Uhhh, I mostly just either receive orders and give or pass them on to the weather team. I usually just pass on the orders from the mayor though...” The other hooves went down. Heh.

The leader of the weather team walked back to the chair set up in the back, murmuring something about ‘a tough crowd.’ Shale Quarry called up the next father, a unicorn with a yellow coat and orange mane walked up to the front of the class. “Hello, I’m Aquis. I’m a firefighter at station two.” Once again a small collection of hooves shot into the air, Azure’s among them. “Yes?” He pointed at a pure white Unicorn filly.

“Um, how many fires have you put out?” She asked nervously.

“I’ve been involved in twelve large fires since arriving here from Equestria.” He answered.”Next question?” He asked openly. The next one came from jet black pegasus colt.

“Have you saved anypony? Like from a fire?” He asked.

The firepony looked lost in thought for a moment before he answered, “Three times. The last one was here. The other two back in Equestria. I... don’t really like talking about it...” There was a small awkward silence before Aquis spoke up once more, “Alright, one more question then.” He pointed at Azure, “Kid with the interesting questions.”

“Um, yes. I have two questions. First off is the origins of your name, is it a derivation of aqua for water, or does it come from the greek mythos slash zodiac sign of Aquarius which means water carrier?” Aquis was about to respond when Azure shot of the next question. “Also, you said you originate from Equestria. Why, may I ask, did you leave to come here?” Azure finished.

The orange maned Unicorn coughed twice into his hoof, “Um, I just like the way it sounds. I wasn’t aware that there were lines to be drawn. As for why I came out here, well, I’ve been here for two months and been involved in twelve fires. Back in Equestria I was only involved in one fire in the ten years I’ve worked there as a firepony. I was needed here more.” He answered solemnly.

“Okay, can we have the next father up here? Mister Cream Baker?” The teacher spoke quickly interjecting the downcast looking firepony.

“Hi, I’m Cream Baker and I run a baked goods shop called Top Goods. Are there any questions?” Grindah beamed. Only one hoof raised, one of the earth pony twins in the class. “Of course you would ask a question. Proceed.”

“When are you going to teach me how to cook daddy?” The filly asked.

“This isn’t the time sweetie, we can talk about this at home.”

“But daddy-” The young filly whined.

“No buts, last time you set the kitchen on fire. Your special talent is not cooking.” Grindah rubbed his face with his hoof. “Anypony else?” Silence. “Okay then. John, it’s your turn now.” He said while walking back to the seats.

Before John could get up, Shale Quarry spoke up, “We have a very special guest today as you all know, we have a human in class today!” She turned to face John. “Mr. Norris? If you’d please?” She motioned towards the chalk board.

John got up to his feet and made his way to the front of the class. He stood before a room of fourteen young ponies and six of their fathers. He cracked his neck from side to side, yawned, then stated, “Hello, I am John Norris. I used to play the stock markets way back when and became obscenely rich. I am now retired. Questions?” Thirteen hooves shot up. Shit. “From left to right, you first.” He pointed a beige earth filly.

“How do fingers work?” The young pony asked.

John was taken a little aback by the question. “Um. I do not really know how to explain it... I just use them.” He wriggled his fingers to make his point.

The next question came from a unicorn filly. “What’s it like being soooo tall?”

John laughed a little, “I’m not that tall by human standards, not by a long shot. I’ve seen plenty taller than myself. Next question?”

It came from a jet black pegasus “Just how rich are you anyways?’

John coughed dryly “Ummm... I have about a few billion bits.” The looks of envy elicited from the response were absolute. There was a short moment of silence. “So, how’s about that there next question, eh?”

“My daddy says humans are inherently evil. Are you evil?” Forest Mint asked with genuine curiosity.

“Uhhh... Nooo...” John was little weirded out by the question. “Some humans are no doubt, but then again, so are some ponies. Now to you, the honey colored earth pony.”

“Um, yes. So what do you do retired being so young and rich?” She asked a bit nervously.

“Whatever I want really. I usually just kick back with my son. I have nothing stopping me or making me do anything.” He replied. “Next question?”

The next two in line, cream colored earth fillies, counted off to each other silently then spoke in unison, “What’s meat taste like?!” they shouted.

John grew a little scared at the nature of the question. Only Grindah’s kids... “W-well, it’s kinda bad unless you cook it. Then its pretty kick ass.”

An eager looking pegasus spat out the next question, “Can humans fly?”

“Not without a machine.” This seemed to make the pegasus sad. Okay? “Next question?”

“Do humans really have fangs?” The unicorn asked. John opened his mouth and pointed to his canines in response.

“Are you a member of the HLF?” A Unicorn colt asked.

“No. Never ask me that again. Just because I’m human doesn't mean I’m a bad guy. I never hurt anyone on purpose.” John glared at the unicorn colt, who sunk down a little in his chair. “Next question.”

“Uh, uhm, yes, Why didn’t you get ponified?” A unicorn filly asked.

John paused for a moment. “Well, that’s... very personal. I’m sorry to say.” He spoke a bit nervously. The filly looked sad, John rubbed his arm, “Next question?”

A pegasus pony with a mane and tail the washed form light blue to pure white asked John’s his next question.“So what was life like before ponies came?”

“Now that's a good question.’ John admitted, “What’s your name kid?”

“Wind Rapids.”

“Well, Rapids, let me tell you of the time before contact.” John cleared his throat. “Once upon a time there was something not too unlike peace, yes there were wars and murders and thievery and all sorts of corruption. But there was relatively little. The air could be a bit sour, the food a bit nasty, but it was life. I grew up around humans and thought nothing of it, for that was all there really was. My dad was a cruel and bitter remnant of the war on terror.My mom was a sweet thing, a bit too soft spoken though. Life went on. Then AI’s came about, I was there as an investor when the first one was ‘born’. Within eighteen months the job market was shit. Crime was high. War was approaching faster everyday.” John paused for effect. “Then something happened. You lot showed up. Promising happiness and health and a paradise, all we had to do was become you. That’s more or less a brief look at things.” John shrugged on the last line. The class seemed taken aback. “So, last question then.”

It was an earth pony filly, “Do you have a cutie mark?”

John noticed she lacked hers, “Humans don’t get cutie marks.”

“Then how do know what your special talent is?” The filly looked a mix between sad and confused.

John shrugged for what felt like the hundredth time that day. “We just do if we ever figure it out. Any more questions?” The class seemed to have their thirst satiated.

The teacher instructed John to move to the back of the class. He sat down and reclined in the seat. It was revealed that it was a short day today, due to some Equestrian holy day. John didn’t pay attention to what it was exactly. The teacher assigned some chapters in a book and released them shortly after. John walked over to Azure as he bid Forest mint goodbye. John motioned for Azure to follow him. The pair headed out the classroom door, “So, what’d you think of school Azure?” John asked of the young pony.

Azure seemed to dwell on it for a moment.before answering, “It seems alright, this was my first day though, one occurrence does not make a pattern. So I can’t really judge.” John opened both of the truck doors and hopped in the driver’s seat as Azure did the same into the passengers.

John started the truck and slyly posed a question, “So... Azure... Anypony catch your fancy?” Azure’s normally blue face was bright red. He started down the road to the apartment. “Aha! I knew it! You like what’s-her-face!”

“Forest Mint.” Azure corrected.

“Heh. Take it easy kiddo, I think she likes you too.” John leaned into his seat, reclining.

The young pegasus seemed to light up, “R-really? You think so?”

“If she doesn't she’s batshit insane. Crazier than your ol’ dad.” He smirked. “Why don’t you invite her and the rest of your class to your birthday party this Saturday. So how about it?” John pulled into his parking spot at the complex.

“Alright.” Azure agreed. They got out of the truck and headed inside to the penthouse condo they shared.













__________________________________________________________________NOTES:

I know what John’s pony form is going to be, as well as how Azure gets his cutie mark and what it is now. No word on John’s though. Scratch that. Best part, some of you know how he looks but don’t know you know!

Town is Fullerton, California. It may or may not have changed its name in the fic due to ponies. Deal with it.

Cultural misunderstandings should be more common eh?

What in the fuck is THAT? Is that CANON SHIPPING? In MY AAF?! But HOW?

So we have Azure, Forest, Two unnamed Pegasi colts, one filly, earth pony twins three more earth ponies. then four unicorns (not including forest)

I made a seating chart for ya’ll at the end. enjoy. I murdered myself over it. FOR YOU.