• Published 3rd Nov 2015
  • 323 Views, 6 Comments

Moving On - Ribe_FireRain



Moving back to your old life after leaving your traumatizing experiences isn't easy. Just ask somepony like Rainbow Strike. This is his story.

  • ...
1
 6
 323

Home Is Where the Heart Is

Author's Note:

I thought 'Why not?', so now I have this. Truthfully, I aren't that bothered about wasting time on it when I should be moving on with my life because I'm only going to be updating it when I have new ideas and in my spare time occasionally when I have chance.

''We're the cutie mark crusaders, we'll never stop searching for out cuuuutiiieeee mar-'' Sweetie Belle began but stopped, falling into a hacking fit as she coughed into her hoof repeatedly, trying to soothe down her sore throat after going too high with her singing.

I handed over a bottle of nearby water from my desk and she thankfully took a swig, letting out a breath of relief when she felt the cool liquid calm her scratchy vocals.

''That was good, Sweetie.'' I smiled to her. ''You sounded perfect to begin with but lost your steady tone when you went too high.'' I said to her and her face bore a frown.

''Yeah, yeah, I know. I suck at singing.'' She said lowly and I frowned at that, seeing her hopeless expression behind those dim green eyes of hers.

''Hey, now, you don't suck, you just need to practice on your tone more.'' I said in hopes of reassuring her on her doubts, using a bandaged forehoof to raise her chin to meet my eyes. ''Come on, don't doubt yourself so quickly, Sweetie, these things take time and I would know. All you need to do is concentrate and pace yourself and before you know it, you'll nail it!''

She smiled at that, her confidence renewed and her eyes lit up like green glowsticks with excitement and ambition. ''You really think I can?'' She asked me in a hopeful tone. I smiled gently down at her.

''I don't think so, I know so, kid!'' Her smile grew with great confidence and she looked behind her momentarily to her cutie mark, consisting of a shield-like shape sectioned into three colours of red, pink and purple with a star of a deeper purple colour that housed a single lighter purple musical note on the inside of it.

''Hey, Strike? Do you really think that my cutie mark has something to do with me having a good singing voice?'' She asked innocently as she turned back to me, the question taking me by surprise.

I scratched my chin for a moment as I pondered on that. I mean, come on, her cutie mark was a musical note and I have heard her sing before, hearing how angelic she sounded so why was she asking the obvious?

''Why do you ask? Your voice says it all, sweetheart. I've heard you sing before and honestly, you have a pretty unique tone. Like I told you before, all you gotta do is keep at it and one day, who knows? Maybe you'll be the next best singer since Sapphire Shores.'' I winked at her and she blushed, flattered.

''That's sweet of you to say, Strike. You aren't so bad yourself with that guitar of yours.'' She pointed her hoof over to the far wall behind me that held my guitar up on its own unique rack, the shiny red body gleaming with the light of the room behind the glass it sat behind and the chromed strings letting off a bright shine at their well maintained condition.

I smiled as I looked at it for a moment and turned back to Sweetie. ''Say, Sweetie, have you ever sang to a melody before?'' I asked as I trotted over to the guitar encased on its rack and I opened the doors, carefully taking the instrument out before closing them once again and coming back over to Sweetie and sitting down.

Seeing where this was going, Sweetie too sat down and smiled to me, indicating her answer as a no. That being enough for me, I began to move my hooves along the strings, playing chords in a soft but rhythmic manner, sliding them along the frets and letting the crystal clear notes fill the room. Even with bandages on, I could still find my way around playing notes clearly on the instrument without messing them up. It was a piece of my talent, after all.

For a moment, Sweetie sat and bobbed her head and gently swayed her body sided to side before I nodded to her and letting her know to go when she was ready and she nodded to me before she cleared her throat and began to sing.

''We are the Cutie Mark Crusaders and we'll never stop trying to earn our cuuuu-t-ieeee maaaarks!'' With her pacing in perfect sync with the tune I was playing, Sweetie finally managed to get it right and when I stopped playing after we practiced on the part, she was beaming with a toothy grin at her accomplishment.

''I...I did it! I actually got it right!'' She said happily, getting up to all four of her hooves and jumping on the spot in her own moment. I chuckled at the moment I was witnessing, smiling at her adorable act.

''You sure did, Sweetie. I told you that you'd get it right eventually.'' I said, offering my hoof to her for a bump and she giddily obliged, lightly tapping her small white hoof against my bandaged one, creating a soft 'puff' sound upon contact. ''So, do you wanna go again or do you wanna call it a day and start again tomorrow?''

Sweetie gave a soft 'Hmm' as she thought and smiled to me. ''I think I'll come back tomorrow, Strike. I need to go see what Apple Bloom and Scootaloo have been doing to the clubhouse since I've been gone. They say that they've been sprucing it up a bit.''

''Very well. Same time tomorrow? I think when you come back I'll teach you how to play an instrument for a change. Sound good?'' I said, knowing how eager she was to learn to play just as she was to sing. I didn't need her to respond seeing as I soon found herself around my neck, hugging me tightly in appreciation.

''Yes! Thank you, thank you! That sounds awesome! Would it be alright if I bring Apple Bloom and Scootaloo next time, though? I'm sure they'd love this, too!'' She asked with pleading eyes and I gave a hearty chuckle at how cute she looked with those puppy dog eyes and begging smile.

''Of course they can, Sweetie. I'd be delighted to show you girls a thing or two about learning to play music.''

''Great! Thanks again, I'll see you tomorrow!'' She grinned in excitement, happy at the agreement before she waved a hoof goodbye and took her leave, presumably off to find her friends.