• Published 3rd Nov 2015
  • 1,008 Views, 27 Comments

LEGO Equestria Girls: More Short Stories - Chronicler06



Peace has returned to the Lego World, and the LEGO Team is always prepared for any potential threat, but being ready for anything doesn't come without its own challenges.

  • ...
4
 27
 1,008

Build-Off!

Build-Off!

It was the middle of another ordinary day in Canterlot City. Minifigs all cross the city went about their day under a sunny and cloudless sky. In one of the city’s plazas, two girls were waiting beside an ice cream truck. One of these girls had light green skin; yellowish orange eyes; a two-toned messy hair piece of aqua and white; magenta on her lower legs, turquoise on her upper legs; and pink on her torso with a golden lyre printed in the middle. The other girl had light nougat skin; sky blue eyes; a two-toned curly hair piece of dark blue and pink; white on her lower legs, torso, and the skirt piece; and printed on her torso was light blue around the neck and a blue and yellow candy wrapper near the waist. These two minifigs were none other than Lyra Heartstrings and Bon Bon, two of the closest friends anywhere in the Lego World.

The ice cream vendor handed an ice cream cone to each of the two girls and took the two dollars they had left for him on the counter. Bon Bon grabbed the ice cream that was pink, while Lyra accepted the one that was light green. The two best friends began walking together along the edge of the plaza as they started to enjoy their delicious treats on such a beautiful warm day. It was only after a few licks that they decided to resume their conversation.

“So, anyway,” began Bon Bon contently, “just the other day, I finally received a delivery of that display shelves kit that I ordered for my candy shop.”

“Oh yeah!” responded Lyra with a smile. “You’ve been waiting for that thing all week, haven’t you?”

“Right!” replied Bon Bon. She then frowned. “But when I opened the box, there were no instructions inside!”

Lyra gasped. “No way!”

“I know! Somebody at the factory must’ve goofed up and forgot to include them. So, at first, I thought about returning it and waiting for a replacement.” Bon Bon smiled again. “But before I even closed the box, I got an idea.”

“Oh! Let me guess!” responded Lyra excitedly. “You decided to ignore the missing instructions and just build it your own way?”

“Exactly! I mean, what’s the point of building anything if you can’t use your creative talents every now and then?”

“I know! You should see the changes I made to my car after that little fender-bender last Tuesday.”

“Sounds fascinating! Can we take a look right now?”

Lyra shrugged with a smile. “Sure. It’s parked not far from here.”

“Awesome, dudes. Mind if I tag along?”

Lyra and Bon Bon suddenly stopped and glanced to their left to see an additional minifig was now walking beside them. He had pale orange skin; green eyes; a long, dark green hair piece in a dreadlock style with a dark grey hat on top; medium blue on his legs; brown on his torso, dull red around his shoulders and down the front of his torso; dark grey bands around his wrists; and printed on the front of his torso close to his right shoulder was a green recycling symbol within a white circle.

The two best friends glanced at each other in confusion, then turned back to the guy beside them. Lyra raised an eyebrow and asked, “Who are you?”

“Name’s Sandalwood, dudes,” he replied as he handed a pair of identical fliers to the two girls. “Environmental specialist and reserve member of our local branch of the LEGO Team.”

Lyra and Bon Bon glanced down at their fliers and gasped excitedly as they immediately saw the LEGO logo printed at the top. Both girls suddenly grinned and turned to each other as they simultaneously exclaimed, “Wow! The LEGO Team!”

“If you think that’s cool, wait ‘til you hear this,” continued Sandalwood. “We’re always open to new members, and I think you two may have what it takes to join us.”

Both girls immediately squealed excitedly and simultaneously exclaimed, “This is the best news ever!”

Sandalwood quickly held up his hands and added, “But we only accept the best of the best, so if you ladies wanna join us, then you gotta prove you’ve got what it takes to become Master Builders.”

“Oh, we can do that right here right now!” stated Bon Bon excitedly.

“Yeah!” agreed Lyra. “I can totally build an awesome racecar in no time!”

Bon Bon frowned. “Actually, I thinking of building a delivery van.”

Lyra glared at her friend and argued, “But I think we should build a racecar!”

Bon Bon returned the glare and shot back, “And I’m saying we should build a delivery van!”

“Racecar!”

“Delivery van!”

“Racecar!”

“Delivery van!”

The two best friends stared furiously at each other for a moment. The tension was soon broken when Lyra grinned smugly. “How about a Build-Off?” she challenged.

Bon Bon also gave a smug grin. “All-out with no restrictions?” she suggested.

“You’re on!” declared Lyra.

As the two girls then quickly handed their ice cream cones to a suddenly confused Sandalwood, Bon Bon quickly stated, “You’ll be the judge, so hold these for us while we compete.”

Sandalwood glanced down at the two ice cream cones in his hands, then returned his gaze toward the two girls. “I’m sensing some bad vibes right about now,” he muttered with uncertainty.

Lyra and Bon Bon ignored the environmentalist as they turned away from him and crouched down as if to start a race. “Ready, set, GO!!” they both shouted simultaneously before they immediately rushed into the middle of the plaza.

The two girls quickly raced around the plaza, gathering up all the parts and pieces they could get their hands on and tossing them into their respective piles. Bon Bon managed to take an early lead by picking up a bench and slamming it into a hotdog kart, smashing both objects to pieces. She then swiftly started putting all those pieces together and in only a matter of seconds, she had completed a small, one-seat convertible car. She turned to Sandalwood and smiled proudly.

That accomplishment was short-lived when Lyra suddenly drove a mail truck right into the smaller car, smashing it to pieces and shoving those pieces into her pile. Lyra immediately jumped out of the truck, quickly tore it apart, and then started building a new vehicle on its chassis. In just under half a minute, she had finished building an even bigger truck, complete with extra-large bumpers and a row of bright lights along the front of the roof.

Bon Bon wasn’t going to stand for that, so she swiftly grabbed a large flower cart and pushed it all the way towards that truck. The cart slammed into the side of the top-heavy vehicle hard enough to tip it over and make it completely fall apart. She didn’t hesitate to start building something new out of all those pieces.

“Hey, check it out! There’s a Build-Off going on!” exclaimed one random passerby. Before long, a crowd had begun to gather around the plaza.

Bon Bon was completely disregarding the fact that she was building something using pieces from Lyra’s pile. It wasn’t long until her new creation, a basic helicopter, was completed. She quickly hopped inside, started up the rotors, and began to take to the air. As soon as she was airborne and the crowd began to cheer, she peeked her head outside and stuck out her tongue. However, had she even bothered to open her eyes, she would have realized that Lyra was nowhere within her field of view.

Bon Bon was quickly forced to drop her taunting gesture when she felt the helicopter jerk to a sudden halt. She quickly glanced around worriedly until she eventually saw Lyra, who had somehow used a grapple gun to latch onto the helicopter’s tail.

Lyra tugged on her grapple a few times until she finally managed to yank the whole tail off the helicopter. With that vital section gone, the helicopter quickly spun out of control and crashed into Bon Bon’s pile of pieces.

Bon Bon crawled out from the wreckage of her helicopter, then was suddenly alarmed to see Lyra was now stealing pieces out of her pile. She tried to stand in the way of her friend turned competitor, but was promptly shoved out of the way.

It took little more than a full minute for Lyra to complete her next creation: a large mech in the shape of a pony, including a color scheme that matched its creator. As the crowd cheered again, Lyra hopped into the control seat in the mech’s head and suck out her tongue at Bon Bon.

Bon Bon growled in frustration before she turned back to her pile and quickly rolled out a cannon on wheels. She swiftly loaded the ammunition — a 1x1 round brick — aimed the cannon at the mech, and yanked the trigger. The cannon shot the projectile at the mech, easily blasting it to pieces. She didn’t even bother waiting for the rain of Lego parts to finish before she went to work on her next creation.

Once again, the crowd was cheering in excitement. “Yeah! Throw in the cannon!” someone shouted.

Bon Bon did exactly that. She picked up the cannon and tossed it on top of her big-wheeled vehicle. After a few more final additions, she jumped up onto her vehicle and began slowly turning the cannon around, itching to blow up her competitor’s next creation.

But it was Lyra who struck first. She drove a similarly large big-wheeled vehicle up to Bon Bon’s creation from behind and released a giant hammer that had been held upright.

Before Bon Bon even knew what hit her, the mighty hammer came down and completely smashed her vehicle apart. Fortunately, she had landed beside the cannon, so she quickly reloaded and fired it, blasting Lyra’s big vehicle to pieces.

Without any hesitation, both girls quickly went to work with any bunch of pieces they could get their hands on. After a short period of time, Lyra and Bon Bon stood face to face against each other from within their latest creations: a pair of mighty monster trucks. Both competitors glared at each other while occasionally revving their engines. The surrounding crowd silenced, waiting with anticipation to see who would make the next move.

As a single newspaper blew harmlessly through the middle of the plaza, Lyra and Bon Bon both floored it at the exact same time. The massive tires screeched and formed lots of smoke as the two monster trucks accelerated directly towards each other. Finally, within the blink of an eye, the two mighty vehicles slammed together in a head-on collision so violently that they were both blasted completely to pieces.

The gathered crowd had stayed silent at first. Once all of the pieces finally settled all across the plaza, some people began to mutter amongst each other.

“Who won?”

“I dunno who was better.”

“Is it possible for a Build-Off to end in a draw?”

Tweeeet! Tweeeeeet!

That police whistle caught the attention of the entire crowd. Many of the people turned to see none other than the city’s Chief of Police walk over to the front of the crowd.

“All right!” called out Flash Sentry as he slowly waved his arms towards the crowd. “Break it up, everyone! Move along, people! Nothing to see here!”

As the crowd finally began to disperse, Flash glanced back at the big mess in the plaza and sighed. “This whole Build-Off craze is starting to get out of control,” he muttered to himself. “At this rate, we may have to turn it into an official competition just to keep it off the streets.”

When Flash turned his gaze toward Sandalwood, the environmental specialist raised his hands — still holding those two ice cream cones — and explained, “Hey, don’t look at me, dude. This Build-Off was totally their idea. I only agreed to be the judge.”

Flash turn his attention back to the pile just in time to see Lyra and Bon Bon pull themselves out from under all those pieces. As soon as the two girls saw each other, they both smiled, but when they turned to the police officer standing not far away, those smiles quickly fell and were soon replaced with sheepish grins.

Flash sighed as he facepalmed and shook his head. He then returned his attention to the two girls and said, “I’ll let you two off with a warning this time, as long as you promise not to do this in a public space again.”

Lyra and Bon Bon glanced at each other, then turned back to Flash and nodded.

“Good,” said Flash with satisfaction. He then gestured sideways and requested, “Now move along. I’ll need to call in some professionals to clean up this big mess.”

“We’re sorry, officer,” said both girls simultaneously as they shamefully walked past Flash Sentry.

After a few steps, the two girls paused and glanced back to see the police officer had now turned away and had a phone in his hand. They both smiled at each other and then rushed over to Sandalwood.

“So how did we do?” asked Bon Bon excitedly.

“Who won?” asked Lyra with just as much enthusiasm.

Sandalwood glanced back and forth between the two girls. “You both did pretty awesome out there. In fact, you both did so well… I’m honestly having a hard time choosing only one winner,” he admitted with a shrug.

The smiles on both girls quickly fell.

“But don’t think of that as a bad thing, man,” he assured them. “When I get back to headquarters, I’ll be sure to recommend both of you for the reserve team. So, in a way… I guess you both win.”

Lyra and Bon Bon immediately beamed. They both hugged each other and cheerfully exclaimed, “YAY! We got a chance to be on the LEGO Team!” After they broke their hug, they took back their ice cream cones and simultaneously thanked Sandalwood.

“No problem, dudes,” said Sandalwood. “Catch ya later!” He waved back at the two girls as he turned away and walked off.

Lyra and Bon Bon then turned the other way and began to walk together away from the plaza. However, they had both taken only a single lick of their ice creams when they realized something.

“Wait…” said Lyra as she looked closely at the pink ice cream cone in her hand. “I think this one is yours.”

“And I think this one is yours,” added Bon Bon, eyeing the light green ice cream cone in her hand.

Lyra and Bon Bon stared at each other for a brief moment, then smiled and simultaneously said, “That’s okay. You can have it.” They both giggled and resumed walking side by side.

It was truly a wonderful day in the life of two best friends forever.

Author's Note:

As you may have noticed by now, many of these short stories will be based on the actual shorts that came out over the weeks prior to when the Friendship Games movie came out. To be honest, out of all the ones I've written for this group of short stories, I found this one to be the most difficult one of all to write. I guess this means I'm not that great at writing about the friendships of the background characters, so I think I'll leave that kind of focus to other writers, once I'm done with this set of stories. Regardless, I still think I did good with having them build all kinds of wacky things to demonstrate once again the seemingly unlimited possibilities of building with Lego.