• Published 2nd Nov 2015
  • 6,239 Views, 139 Comments

Umbrum ad Infinitum - Pixel_Spark



When Tirek's brother Scorpan resurrects Sombra to use him against all of Equestria, Twilight and Co must not only retrieve Sombra from his clutches, but find a way to heal the damage that's been done to the former King. Can they save him in time?

  • ...
7
 139
 6,239

Caretaker

Sombra was up early the morning, and proposed a plan to Girder.

The idea was to create an early warning system using crystals. He could set up a perimeter around the site, anything that crossed would send a warning signal to him. The more he developed the spell, the more ponies he could set the wavelength to. It was the best move they had so far, and the King was given permission to set it up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the time everypony else was awake, the dusky grey crystals had been set up in a perimeter that surrounded the massive work site. It’d taken Sombra quite awhile to finish it, but he was pleased by the end result. Testing it would come later, but he was reasonably certain it would work, he’d tweaked the spell as best as he could.

After the announcement had been made to the workforce, Sombra was put on one of the painting teams. He soon realised paint was up there with cement in the "most likely to get all over your coat" rankings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the time the can he was using ran dry, he was speckled with the stuff. He set the paintbrush down and went in search of another can.

A few short minutes later he walked back into the building, floating a fresh set of paint cans alongside him. He was caught up in a daydream, thus he didn’t see the two stallions having a paint flicking contest ahead of him.

"Take this!" one laughed, levelling the paintbrush at his friend, who deflected it with a shield. Which accidentally made it fly off at an angle-

Sombra was startled as paint splattered over his coat, a chilled splatter of it splashing onto his cheek. He raised a hoof, attempting to brush it off, but all this did was smear it into his fur even further.

Both ponies, indeed everypony in range, went stock still.

"We're-in-trouble." the first pony squeaked. The other grinned sheepishly at the King.

Sombra looked from the two, frozen mid-fight, to an abandoned paintbrush just a few feet away.

"Paint battle, hm?” he flipped the paintbrush from the tin, grinning evilly "I refuse to be beaten in a fight, now..?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Needless to say, it devolved into all out chaos from there. With everypony veering between seeing who could paint the base coat the fastest versus who could flick paint the furthest. Sombra was extremely glad the floor was safely covered with dust sheets tacked down, or the whole room would’ve resembled a very weird piece of art!

Girder walked in, in time to see a blob of paint soar across the room.

"What is going on in here?" he barked. Everypony froze.

"Uhh..." Girder turned as he heard King Sombra clear his throat, staring at the paint splattered pony standing to his left.

"It is exactly what it looks like." Sombra finished, which caused several ponies to utter amused snorts of laughter.

"So I see, now who started this?" Girder sighed, looking back at the others in the room, used to his majesty's smartassery.

Another cough from Sombra.

Girder turned and stared at the King in disbelief. Surely not-?

"I may not have started it, bit I regret to say I failed in stopping it also. Sorry." Sombra coughed, looking sheepish.

Girder tried to get annoyed but the honest-to-Celestia amusement on Sombra's face, the way the King was battling desperately not to laugh meant he couldn’t get too mad at the monarch or the whole lot of them. Sanity knew they all needed to let off steam, and if a paint fight helped-?

"You guys are lucky it's just the base coat. Don’t let me catch you doing that with the actual colour application. Clear?" he said, sounding as stern as he could. Even as he fought not to laugh.

They all nodded eagerly.

"So, who won?" Girder joked with a weary sigh.

"We don’t know," the pony that'd accidentally splattered Sombra earlier shrugged, grasping at straws then saying "I guess whoever is covered in the most paint?"

All eyes turned to Sombra, who out of all of them was pretty heavily spattered with the eggshell coloured paint.

"I am a big target, it would seem! Cue jokes about the size of my posterior.." he shrugged, the formally spoken joke prompting more laughing. There was something undeniably funny about Sombra's high-class versions of common jokes.

--Really? These guys are teaching a KING butt jokes?-- Girder shook his head, chuckling. Then he addressed Sombra.

"At any rate, there’s some ponies outside asking for you, your majesty. They’re Umbrum's!"

Sombra blinked, seriousness returning "Umbrum's?- Oh! It must be Excel!" he trotted after Girder, heart lifting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Earlier that morning.......

The supplies train pulled into the makeshift station set up at the growing construction site.

Three ponies stepped out, their solid crystal bodies reflecting the sun. Between two of them was an ornately decorated box.

"Can we help you?" The closest guard asked curiously. These were Umbrum ponies, Sombra's ponies to be exact.

"We're here to see our King, in preparation of tomorrows royal visit." The mare at the front smiled as she gave an elegant bow "My name is Excel."

"I don’t know where he's working today, but follow me miss. It shouldn’t take long to find him." the guard, a volunteer from the Crystal Empire, motioned them to join him.

Excel thanked him politely as they set off. She looked forward to seeing the King after so long away!

"Is Infinitum faring well?" she asked the guard as they walked deeper into the site. He nodded, but looked a little concerned at the same time.

"His highness? Sure, he's been working extremely hard ma'am, " the guard said "we’ve had a few incidents including snowstorms, giant timber wolves and one case of possession by a wraith that would’ve ended badly were it not for his involvement!."

"Oh my-!" Excel paled "a wraith? What in Equestria is that?"

"Your guess is as good as mine ma'am. Never witnessed a thing like it before. Strangest critter I’ve ever seen, it took over one of the workers first, then his Majesty. That was where its luck ran out."

He shook his head "you do not mess with that guy!"

"Our Infinitum is not to be trifled with, indeed!" Excel smiled. The guard could hear the pride and happiness in her voice. Sombra's ponies clearly loved him very much.

"Aha! There's Girder, he'll know where his Majesty is!" The guard hollared to the foreman as he finally spotted him "SIR!"

"What- oh!" Girder did a double take as he set his clipboard down and trotted over.

"Hello ponies, welcome to the site for the Umbrum Kingdom. What brings you three here?"

Excel bowed politely "I am Excel. We are here to prepare his Majesty for the royal visit tomorrow!"

"Visit-oh..buuuhh-" Girder recalled Sombra asking about something along those lines, mentioning Excel too and he face-hoofed.

"I’m truly sorry miss, after the ruckus last night caused by the wraith, I was unable to speak with his Majesty about your arrival!"

"I heard!" Excel looked concerned "it sounded dreadful!"

"Sure was a crazy thing," Girder raised his eyebrows at the memory "Turns out it was the same thing that possessed that Timberwolf his majesty destroyed!"

He shook his head to clear it, and adderssed the trio. "Follow me, I’ll take you to him. He's working on one of the painting crews today, I believe!"

The trio of Umbrum's followed after him, anxious to see their King again.

Girder left them by the edge of the building and trotted inside.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I hope his Highness is alright." Excel worried.

"I’m sure he's fine!" The first male pony assured her "from what the letters have told us, he has been working tirelessly on our behalf!"

All the same, he and the other stallion exchanged anxious looks. They’d been selected for their positions in the former Umbrum society, released from their semi-ghostly forms and given solid bodies with help from Sombra's mother, Umbra.

To date they had not directly met their King, only caught glimpses of him during the times he'd come to see them prior to his coming out here to work. So they were understandably nervous about meeting their ruler, the Infinitum.

Seeing their unease, Excel told them not to fret, then she heard a familiar voice-

"Excel!" they turned to face the voices owner.

Sombra stood beside Girder, looking pleased to see her. He was also splattered with paint, his mane tied back from his face. He looked a mess, but the gleam in his eyes spoke of a contented, hard-working pony. Even dressed down for work, he still carried an air of strength and benevolence.

"Infinitum!" Excel and the two stallions bowed deeply "its good to see you once more, our King!"

Sombra returned the regal bow "I’m pleased to see you Excel, what brings you here?" he looked curiously at the two new ponies. They kept their heads bowed in reverence to their King, but he caught them sneaking fleeting glances at him.

To the duo, he was as imposing as they imagined. A strong build, with powerful wings and that signature red horn. His eyes were a deep crimson, sharp and alert. When he spoke, they seen brief flashes of sharp fangs. He was a commanding presence, one that radiated an effortless strength.

"We're here to ensure you are ready for the visit tomorrow!" Excel smiled at the ruler. Sombra mimicked Girder and face-hoofed.

"Blast it!" He grumbled "I forgot-"

"Fret not, Infinitum, we understand you had your hooves full with this "wraith" business, alongside your work!" Excel chuckled "That is why we came here. We brought everything you'll need!"

She gestured to the box, and Sombra sighed in relief. She motioned the two ponies that'd been carrying it to step forward now. They straightened up, directly meeting their ruler's gaze.

"These ponies have been anxious to meet you, Infinitum,” Excel explained They have only recently been given solid form by Lady Umbra."

At the mention of his mothers name Sombra smiled warmly, wondering how she was doing?

"I'm Notepage, your majesty." The first stallion spoke up.

"And I am Page Assist, your highness!" said the second.

They bowed deeply, saying in unison "it's an honor to finally meet you, King Sombra!"

As they straightened up, Sombra smiled and assured them it was a pleasure to meet them both.

Notepage spoke next "Our duties in the former time were to serve the one who leads us. As our Infinitum, we are here to assist and serve you your Highness, with your permission?"

It was a bit of a surprise, suddenly gaining two assistants. Sombra had gotten used to handling most everything on his own, so his Umbrum's wouldn't have to. But he got the feeling these ponies wished to serve for the same reason the work ponies had asked Sombra permit them to address him as "Your Majesty". Out of respect. So he cleared his throat and prepared to address them; his smile made them feel more relaxed as he spoke;

"Thank you, both of you. And of course your request is granted." Sombra said honestly, seeing their faces brighten as he accepted the proposal.

Excel smiled warmly. She knew that Sombra was a very independent pony, but he would need to get used to having ponies assist and serve him when the Kingdom was complete. She guessed part of it was down to how he'd bossed the Crystal Ponies around, making them wait on him and fetch whatever he needed. His memories had outlined everything, and she knew Infinitum's heart was set against repeating ANY of his former actions. He did take it a bit far, but she was sure he'd adjust with time.

"Would you like a tour?" Girder asked the trio "See what your King has been helping build?"

All three rapidly accepted, and Sombra looked pleased at their enthusiasm.

And so the Umbrum ponies walked after Girder, getting their first proper glance at the new kingdom.

"It's beautiful sire," Excel whispered "The buildings look just like the ones your mother drew."

"Yes, the ponies here did a stunning job." Sombra nodded to Girder.

"Not without YOUR help, your highness!" Girder grinned "your new method for laying the struts has saved a LOT of time."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excel was overjoyed to see the houses springing up so rapidly. Girder stated new workers were arriving every week, volunteering for the project. They were already having to build more barracks for everypony to sleep in! It was an ambitious task, building an empire from the ground up, afterall.

Girder found places for the two stallions and mare to stay. The two stallions were given beds in the same sleeping quarters as their King, so they’d be near if he needed them. Excel was staying in the female quarters, where she hoped she'd make some friends. It was amazing to be out exploring the world.

Girder told Sombra he could finish his shift early and spend time with his ponies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sombra spent the rest of that day catching up on everything the Umbrum ponies had been doing in his absence.

"We were delighted when we heard about your Cutie Mark, Infinitum!" Excel clapped her hooves "we've never had cutie marks before, and Firefly’s pictures of yours are amazing!"

"I will return to the Crystal Empire soon, then I can copy this gift to you ALL." Sombra promised.

"Thank you, Infinitum." All three chorused. They were excited by this new prospect, such a thing had never been seen in their world before. Umbrum's had always been blank!

The two new aides to the King had a lot of questions, which Sombra did his best to answer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning Sombra was up early as was now his habit. On autopilot, he got dressed in his work gear and was halfway to the door when he recalled today was the day of the visit, and-!

"Sire!" The two aides scrambled up from their beds and bowed hastily as they stood in front of their ruler "we need to get you ready sire!"

"That’s no problem, I’ll just go get a shower and ill be right back!" Sombra trotted past them, oblivious.

The two shared looks. With rapid speed, they positioned themselves between their King and the exit door. Sombra halted, one hoof raised mid-step, looking surprised. Then he frowned, appearing displeased, so the duo hastily scrambled to explain.

"That wont do, your Highness! We're here to get you looking your best, so we request you refrain from your work today!" Notepage panicked.

"Ah.." Sombra finally got the hint. It was a special occasion, it'd take more than a shower this time. "Of course."

"Your coat needs a wash sire, urgently." Page Assist said, frowning at the remnants of paint still splattering their leaders fur. "We must get your coat looking its best! Such hard work will affect even the Umbrum form."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excel joined them, and Girder led them to the same building where he'd had the bath set up for Sombra before. The same tub had been re-purposed for another hot bath for the monarch. Excel dumped some special ingredients into the water that Cadance had assured her would clean up Sombra's coat and leave it nice and soft! The trio left Sombra alone to bathe, and he wondered if his coat WAS getting scruffy?

Sombra finished cleaning his coat and mane properly as quickly as he could, still baffled by how much fuss was being made about it. He emerged all clean and dry, to be greeted by his trio of Umbrum's.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They moved to the canteen where there was more room. Sombra's armor had been repaired after the dents it’d incurred after the timberwolf fight, and Page Assist and Notepage had spent the time he was in the bath cleaning the armor to a brilliant shine, buffing any and all scratches and scuffs out of it so it looked brand new!

"One of your friends sent this cloak specially for you!" Excel set a package on the table. It bore a familiar cutie mark of three diamonds.

Rarity's newest cloak for Sombra was a deep purple, a bit like his former cloak in style, only longer. It was trimmed with silver fur and the main part was inscribed with Umbrum symbols. The clasp was a smaller version of his cutie mark. It attached neatly to the armor, accenting it perfectly.

Sombra stayed very still, changed into his Umbrum form as the new cloak was attached. Lastly, Excel fussed with his crystalline mane, styling it according to Umbrum tradition. She even fluffed his wings up, so they appeared even more impressive when fully unfolded!

The final touch was the crown. Excel opened the box bearing the beautiful artefact, and placed it atop the King's head. She and the other two stepped back to make sure everything looked perfect.

NOW he looked like a King, paint free and washed!

"Whoa, fancy!" they all looked over as the first lunch shift piled in the door. Sombra looked totally different. They’d all seen him working, usually wearing protective work gear and the fluffy cloak. And spattered with paint or cement or plaster dust, among many materials. Seeing him all cleaned up, in full regalia and crown, they were reminded for the first time that he WAS a King after all.

Dressed as he was, it was pretty different to what they were used to.

"Blimey!" Girder walked in and did a double take "looking good, Your Majesty!"

All the ponies were taking an open gawk at this fancily dressed pony. Few had seen the crown before, and it was certainly ornate.

Sombra chuckled "it feels strange after so long at work, to be wearing such finery again!"

"Well we cant have you greeting the Prince and Princess covered in paint, Infinitum!" Excel smiled "this is as close to traditional Umbrum royal style as we can make!"

The visit wasn’t for another hour or two, so poor Sombra had to sit patiently in the canteen, no chance of working for fear of his fancy getup running afoul of the sharp equipment around the site!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually the trains arrival time came around and Sombra, with his two attendants and Excel by his side, walked to the main entrance of the site. Girder was with them too, as he was to lead the tour of the site!

Crystal pony guards approached then stepped aside, bowing their heads as two familiar figures emerged.

"Princess Cadance and Prince Shining Armor!" The head guard announced.

The duo stepped up to the armoured pony, inclining their heads and addressing him by his formal title.

Sombra was happy to see them again, it’d been awhile! He and his trio of Umbrum's perfectly executed an elegant bow, Sombra's wings reflecting the light as he extended them, the polished armor shining in the sun.

"Its good to see you again," Shining Armor said to the King "we've been reading about the progress of your home through your letters. Can't wait to see!"

He greeted Girder next, congratulating him on the progress made so far.

"Your looking much happier, Sombra." Cadance could read it in the way he stood, the look in his eyes. This was the Sombra that should've been, all that time ago.

"Then I look as I most assuredly feel, Princess." Sombra smiled. "It may only be in its infancy, but this already feels like home."

"Hey, we're all on the same job here, you can dispose with the formalities!" Shining grinned as he rejoined the conversation. Sombra looked surprised, but nodded as he filed this away for future use.

Next the Crystal Empire rulers unveiled the boxes they'd had put on the train with them. Cakes, fruits and berries from the Crystal Empire, enough to keep a workforce fed for a week!

Sombra's stomach gurgled at the mere mention of "crystal berries", and this made the Alicorn Princess and unicorn Prince chuckle.

"Ah, ignore that." Sombra coughed, trying not to laugh.

"Too late." Girder snickered, making Sombra give him a mock-angry glare.

He turned back to Cadance and Shining Armor "Thank you, both of you. Everypony here is due a morale boost, I’m sure I can ask the cook to use these ingredients in combination with the recipe book miss Pie gave me."

"We brought others!" Cadance smiled and nodded behind her "they wished it to be a surprise, that is why we did not tell you."

She and Shining Armor stepped aside so Sombra could stride forward and meet two familiar figures that he recognised from a meeting shortly after his return from stasis.

An imposing Centaur King and a demure Gargoyle Queen. Vorak and Haydon. The duo bowed to their host.

"Master Sombra," The Centaur King's rumbling tones echoed around the gathering "it is an honour to see you once more."

It was a surprise, but a great one. Sombra recalled their grief, how they’d come to him begging him to forgive them on behalf of their son, for what Scorpan had done to Sombra. When he'd seen how much pain was hidden behind their masks, especially the heartbroken Queen, Sombra realised they didn’t deserve to bear the pain, they’d suffered enough, and had told them he bore no anger against them. He'd started to realise the extent of his own actions, and accepted he had to take responsibility and beg the crystal ponies to forgive HIM.

And as he'd forgiven the King and Queen, so too had the Empire given him a second chance. That day at the stadium, when he'd seen that massive crowd of Crystal ponies telling him to take the crown his Umbrum's held out for him. Where he'd publicly spoken about his own regrets over how he'd treated them, how he'd seen the same behaviour in Scorpan and had realised he couldn’t let it happen again. It was also where Discord had pulled a few rugs from under Sombra's hooves to get him to actually speak, as he'd so far previously been relatively mute whenever he'd ventured outside.

He also may have taught the Crystal Empire their first Umbrum swearword during the course of Discord's smart assery. Whoops.

"The honour is mine, your majesties." He returned, bowing deeply to them. His voice was far brighter and stronger than the last time they’d heard him speak.

King Vorak had initially feared the pony had been rendered mute by the horrors he'd endured, and had noted a sense of frailty in the pony’s voice when he DID hear him speak all that time ago. He'd feared Sombra was too badly damaged by Scorpan's torture, and it had surprised him when Sombra had not only forgiven them on behalf of their son but stated he'd been in that same dark place as Scorpan, that love had been twisted into vengeance for him too.

Vorak had been impressed by Sombra's strength even in his weakened, traumatised state. He'd had a feeling Sombra wouldn’t give in so easily, as the pony standing in front of them now proved.

"It has been quite some time since last we met." Queen Haydon regarded him warmly, her voice kind. She was relieved to see him so strong, compared to their first meeting back in Canterlot. Princess Cadance had told them his whole story since they'd left him, how he'd been unanimously chosen by the Umbrum ponies as their King. That the Alicorn form was part of an ancient prophecy, and Sombra's destiny was to be the Umbrum's saviour and guardian.

Vorak took in the Alicorn pony and nodded in approval "your health has improved vastly your Highness! You look every bit the fierce warrior King an empire needs!"

Sombra felt himself flush slightly, his road to accepting the job hadn’t been an easy one, but-

"I had the best help possible in that department." he looked at his Umbrum's, and at the Crystal Empire's rulers. "To name but a few."

Cadance and Shining Armor smiled at the acknowledgement. Sombra's new-found integrity had garnered their respect since meeting him again.

"We await your homes completion, that we might visit it again!" Haydon beamed, looking at her husband, who nodded and gestured behind him.

"I hope you will pardon our assumption, but we brought some of ours to boost the ranks of your workers!" The King and Queen stepped aside to reveal what looked like a sizeable platoon of Gargoyle and Centaur soldiers arranged behind them. Sombra's eyebrows raised, he looked speechless.

"Yowza." Girder said at last "goodness me that’s impressive!"

"Consider it a gift, King Sombra," Vorak explained "these men and women will serve under your command and help you raise your empire from the ground until such a time as your no longer require their services!"

The gathering of soldiers all bowed to the pony who they would consider their commander in place of their own king.

"Greetings, Your Majesty." they intoned.

Sombra had to kick his brain up the arse to make it act, the presentation of such a gift had caught him off guard! He raised his voice so they could all hear him, both welcoming and thanking them sincerely for their assistance, he would be honoured to have them alongside.

"I cannot thank you enough your majesties." he said to Haydon and Vorak as they came to stand beside him once more.

The Queen beamed delightedly, and the King clapped the pony on the back, with a big booming laugh.

"We look forward to creating a strong link between our kingdom and yours, King Sombra!"

Sombra nodded in agreement "As do I, your majesties, as do I!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From there the group accompanied Girder on a tour of the houses built so far. On the way, the new platoon were shown where they could sleep and were allowed to explore the site as their King conversed with Sombra and the others.

"They’re beautiful," Cadance gazed at the polished the exterior of one of the houses, Umbrum markings engraved as history dictated.

"My mother was able to supply many a reference to work from," Sombra explained "it will be of comfort to the Umbrum's to see their culture alive once more. This is just the start!"

Once the tour of the site was done, with all the workers amazed to see so many members of royalty at once, the regal party headed for the canteen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sombra filled Haydon and Vorak in on as much of Umbrum culture as they wished to know. Including the legend of the Infinitum that'd been around since the start!

"-and it is believed the first Umbrum rulers were Infinitum, or "Alicorn" as most will know them. But it seems this is the first time since early history that this form has been seen!” Sombra elaborated.

“The legend dictated that at their darkest time, an Infinitum would return," he smiled a little "It has been a long time waiting, but their prophecy is finally coming true!"

Sombra had been given some Umbrum cookbooks by his mother, and the cook was happy to whip them up something delicious as they conversed.

During this gathering, Sombra told the tale of the Wraith possession, both the timberwolf incident and the one just a few nights prior.

"Wraith?" Haydon looked startled at the name "we encountered scarce amounts of those in our kingdom many moons ago, but we thought them almost extinct as so few have been seen since those days!"

"Mayhap they escaped and came here?" Sombra pondered "I had to seal it and destroy it, lest it get free and put somepony's life in danger!"

"A wise move," Vorak nodded "they are troublemakers, described as spirits of malice and mischief in our culture!"

"Malicious indeed." Sombra shivered "it was set on taking MY body and using it to wreak havoc! It was thanks to Girder and the other ponies that I was able to corral and get rid of it. I am grateful for their assistance in slowing my body down enough that my own mind could regain control."

"That sounds ghastly," Shining Armor shuddered "reminds me of the whole Chrysalis thing, where she made my mind go all weird!"

"Love was what she sought, yet it was ultimately what defeated her," Cadance smiled in remembrance as she looked at her husband "all thanks to Twilight's unwavering belief that something wasn’t right."

Haydon looked curious, so the Empire's rulers told her the whole tale of the changeling invasion and subsequent defeat!

After this, Sombra was persuaded to tell some of his recently learnt rude jokes. Which Vorak countered with a few of his own!

The stallions and Centaur were laughing their arses off, while the girls just shook their heads and giggled at their respective husbands. Tasteless as they were, they had to admit the crude humour was pretty funny, not the sort of thing you normally heard in a royal palace!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All too soon the time came for them all to go. Cadance expressed her regret their visit could only be a fleeting one. Sombra assured her it was wonderful to see them regardless of the briefness of their visit. Maybe next time they came there would be suitable sleeping arrangements? With the additions to the workforce, things were picking up the pace.

"We hope you will come stay in our Kingdom, once your home is finished!" Haydon said to Sombra as they walked.

"I'd be honoured, Queen Haydon, your Kingdom sounds amazing from what you both have told me!" Sombra bowed to the two as the got into their chariot.

"May your future be guarded by the fates!" The Centaur King said as he and his wife got into their carriage.

Sombra bowed once more and bid them fare well, once more expressing his gratitude for their kindness and generosity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"He will make a fine King, wont he my dear?" Haydon smiled as their carriage took off into the horizon.

Vorak nodded "He has grown much in the time since we seen him last. I would not connect the frail, injured pony who was able to forgive the nightmare our son put him through with the one that greeted us today. He has fought hard to overcome his demons and bear his crown."

Haydon nodded. It'd hurt them both to lose their sons to their twisted plans. But in Sombra, they had both seen proof that hope could prevail, that here was one that’d managed to come back from that same darkness and regain his life. In a way, he was like their son they’d never had.

They hoped their link with the Umbrum kingdom would help their own. For too long they’d remained secluded, even from the equestrian population...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cadance and Shining Armor promised they'd come by again soon, they were delighted to see the progress being made so far.

"I think it will be me visiting you shortly, I will need to return to the empire, as I have promised to copy the gift of cutie marks to the rest of my kind," Sombra told them "Excel tells me they eagerly await their own chances to find their marks!"

"Just let us know when, and we'll invite Twily and the girls too!" Shining Armor offered. Sombra brightened at this. After all, alongside Discord, they’d been crucial in showing him the world was safe once more.

"Take care!" They told him as they got back onto the train. Sombra thanked them again and watched the train disappear into the distance. The massive crates holding all the gifts from the Empire stood to one side, awaiting transport.

"Hoo boy, the cook will be over the moon when she sees these!" Girder remarked to Sombra as the stallion used his magic to lift the first crate. Sombra nodded, he looked forward to seeing the end results of cooking with the berries!

The boxes were put into the kitchen storage, and Sombra was heading for his bed to remove the finery and pack his crown away safely when he suddenly stopped mid-step, and his ears twitched.

"What is it, your majesty?" Girder asked.

"Something has breached the perimeter stones, and whatever it is, it is running fast!" Sombra didn’t hesitate in unfolding his wings and taking off into the sky.

"Which sector?" Girder yelled up to him.

"North B4!" Sombra called, then took off at speed. Girder gathered a group of guards and work ponies and sent them off after Sombra. The fading light caught his shiny coat of armor, reflecting in his crystal body as he flew like a comet straight towards the direction of the invasion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soon he seen a shape on the horizon, which rapidly separated out to reveal a caravan of ponies. About twenty in total, they were running as fast as their legs and wagon could go. Sombra looked behind them, seeing familiar loping shapes pursuing them.

“Timberwolves." he growled. Clearly he wasn’t going to see the end of these creatures, possessed or otherwise! He put on a burst of speed, aiming so he'd land between the two groups.

As he swooped down, he seen the rear right wheel on the wagon crack and break, causing the thing to swing out wildly. Several ponies stumbled, and the rest turned back to help them. Not waiting until his landing, Sombra flung up a barrier between them and the Timberwolves, landing on the same side as the caravan.

The beastly creatures slammed head first into the shield, gnashing and snarling. Sombra could see their breath steaming in the freezing air, glowing green eyes full of fury at being denied their prey.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ponies panicked when their wagon went down. They turned back even though they knew it was too late and they'd never outrun the wolves now, when somepony swooped in to save them.

A barrier shot up, impacting the wolves head on and stunning a few of them. Then the one generating the shield hit the snow in front of them, wings outspread.

Collective jaws dropped. They took in the crystal body, polished silver armor, fancy crown and lush cloak. When their rescuer turned his head to look over at them, they got a final clue as to who he was. The Umbrum Alicorn, aka King SOMBRA.

Even as far out as they lived, newspapers and gossip had reached. The most recent news they'd had had rumoured there was a whole new city being built for Sombra's legendary missing race, the Umbrum's. That he was their defender, hence why he was an Alicorn, the only one of his kind to bear that gift.

"You’re..." One stallion stammered, transfixed by so way the glow of Sombra's eyes reflected in his crystal body.

"You need to run, the city is that way, there are workers and guards there that will take care of you." Sombra's voice was a deep rumbling sound, commanding yet kind at the same time.

"W-what? City?"

"It is not fully built yet, but it is still home." Sombra smiled gently and they realised this had to be the touted "building site" mentioned in the papers. But why was Sombra here if the Kingdom wasn’t built yet?

"Our wagon.." a mare said nervously. Sombra looked at it, then asked them to step back. He closed his eyes, a bright glow of magic spiralling around his horn. The wagon lifted up so it was floating above the ground.

He opened his eyes, studying the shape of the wheel before summoning the Umbrum crystal. This was the same substance he'd used to rebuild the chair at the parade. It was a tough, solid material and he was sure it would get the rest of the way. He switched the broken wheel out for the crystal one, securing it with another spell. The wagon stayed steady as he set it down.

He spotted packages that'd spilled from the cart when it'd fallen, and hurriedly piled them back inside. All the while, the group was staring in open curiosity and surprise.

"How...?" One young filly blurted.

"I can explain anything you wish to know later, for now you must run. I cannot hold them off forever. They must be dealt with." Somber turned his attention back to the ravenous Timberwolves.

"By yourself?" one pony asked incredulously.

Sombra smiled grimly "this will not be the worst thing I have fought these last few weeks, GO!" he yelled. They finally stopped gawking and gathered their group together, running in the direction Sombra pointed. He fired a flare of magic ahead of them, which would lead the guards straight to them.

"I c-cant believe it's really HIM!" Somepony blurted to the caravan leader. She nodded, stunned as much herself. She'd seen pictures in the papers, but up close was another matter entirely. This was the former tyrant of the north, the re-crowned KING. She'd heard a lot about him, about the battle of Canterlot, but what was true and what wasn’t?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soon they seen another group of shapes heading for them, and realised these had to be the ponies Sombra spoke of.

"This way!" A pony wearing a hard-hat directed them to follow him, and soon they reached the edge of the site. As they finally came to a stop, the group noticed the half-formed skeletons of buildings and quite a few finished ones. The style was unlike anything they’d seen before.

"This is-?" One pony wheezed.

"The future site of the Umbrum Kingdom, yes." the hard-hat pony smiled kindly "I’m the head foreman, Girder. Did you by any chance encounter-?"

"Sombra?" the leader asked. Girder nodded.

"Yes we did," she answered "he's unlike what we imagined..."

"Yes, I imagine many folks feel that way. But once they get to know his Highness, they wont need to worry."

"He's alone back there, aren’t you going to send re-enforcements-?"

The stallion asking the question was cut off by a massive BOOM in the distance. Turning back the way they’d come, they seen a flare of purple magic light up the sky like a giant thunderclap. The light faded and some caught a glimpse of a shadow flying away from the detonation.

"Nope!" Girder grinned at their dumbfounded faces "his Majesty is more than capable of taking on Timberwolves! Child’s play."

A few seconds later they seen the shadow heading towards them. It flew down, landing elegantly. The lamps around the site reflected off the armor and crown, he was a pretty impressive sight. Sombra folded his wings down, looking at the group in relief.

"Ah, good, you made it safely." he smiled "is everypony OK?"

A collection of mute nods.

"How long were those things chasing you?"

"We uh, w-well, I dunno how far, but it was partway through the forest back that way." the closest pony stammered.

Sombra recalled seeing a forest on his flights, but it was a significant distance away for them not to need to scout it yet. Or so he'd assumed. He looked to Girder, frowning in concern.

"We may need to send a team out there, it seems the Timberwolves were not an isolated incident. We need to stop any future attacks."

Girder nodded "agreed, your highness, I'll put together a team tomorrow."

"Good, thank you." Sombra nodded. Assured something could be done, he turned his attention back to the group. He noticed the way they seemed high strung, staring nervously at him as if they expected him to snap at them. He felt a reminder of his past self's shameful actions and his chest tightened painfully. No matter how many times he reminded himself he'd brought this on himself by going crazy the way he had, it still bothered him to see ponies afraid.

--I have a long way to go..-- he panicked.

"Infinitum!" he turned in relief at Excel's voice as she trotted up.

She noticed his slightly dishevelled look, and frowned "where did you race off to? We were concerned."

"There is no need to worry, I am quite alright." Sombra reassured her "Some Timberwolves tripped the proximity crystals, they were chasing these ponies here."

"OH!” Excel took in the bedraggled, tired group "oh dear, can we help?".

Behind her, Sombra spotted his two assistants.

"If you could Excel, I'd be grateful." he smiled thankfully at her. He got the feeling the kind, motherly Excel would be more comforting to these scared ponies right now than HIS presence. They'd been chased by nightmares on legs, they were probably all freaked out.

"Of course, Infinitum!" she nodded, and gestured Notepage to follow her. Page Assist stayed with the King as he politely excused himself, trotting alongside the Umbrum King as he headed towards his sleeping quarters.

"Are you hurt at all your highness?" he asked. The King shook his head, only saying he was tired. It'd been a long day, and he desired a rest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sombra stayed quiet as Page Assist helped him remove the cloak and armor, storing it away. Last but not least came the crown, which was put away in its special silk lined case. Sombra put it in his trunk, locking it securely.

"Do you want some food, your highness?" Page Assist asked, hoping he could help in some way?

"I am quite alright," Sombra promised "right now I just wish to rest, it has been a strange series of events."

"I will leave you to rest then, your highness," Page Assist bowed before trotting away.

Sombra curled up under the soft warm blanket and drifted asleep with a sigh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As she'd promised her Infinitum, Excel bid the ponies to follow her, assuring them the guards would tow the wagon somewhere safe and keep watch over it.

"Who're you, you look just like him?" the lead mare asked.

"I am Excel, Infinitum's liaison with his subjects. We are Umbrum ponies, awake at last after a long time asleep."

"I've read about you," the same mare looked at Excel "a-and about him."

"You refer to our Infinitum, correct?"

"Inifi-whuh?" somepony else asked. As Excel led them into the canteen, she explained;

"It's short for 'Umbrum ad Infinitum'. That is the name from legend, for our King. The infinite shadow."

She turned, seeing their dubious looks, and her expression saddened.

"Please, allow me to give you the story?"

While the cook began setting out dishes of food for the hungry party, Excel began telling the King's story.

She told of Sombra's reawakening, of everything he'd been through after the Scorpan fight. How he'd refused the crown and given them every memory of every act he'd done and left it in their hooves.

"We were desperate, he was the last carrier for all our hopes. And the strain was what drove him to madness. It was too much for a child to cope with, finding out he wasn’t what he'd spent his life believing, it hurt him too much."

"Aww..." One little filly looked up at excel "what about his mommy and daddy?"

"The Umbrum have a rare, sacred rite that allows a lone Umbrum to create one of our kind by his or herself. Lady Umbra, Sombra's mother, was the last one left. She only had magic enough to create him before she fell dormant. She had not even enough strength to care for him, or get to truly meet him, and relied on the Empire guards finding him and giving him a home."

"So," the caravan leader piped up "he spent most of his life not knowing what he was?"

Excel nodded her head, continuing the story. She described from Sombra's memories how he'd lost the one pony that’d treated him kindly and on a long dormant impulse had fled the empire out into the snow. That was where he'd found his mothers crystal. She'd had enough of her minimal power grow back that she was able to unlock his memories. And it had broken his heart. Everything he'd held dear had been fake, he wasn’t even a pony!

That was when he'd decided he may as well become the freak his peers viewed him as. The process had gone wrong and Sombra became a full fledged adult, with his full abilities ready to go. It was too much too soon and he'd gone mad from the overload, taking the Crystal Empire captive. In hindsight, maybe it'd been vengeance for the "accidental war" the Umbrum's had been captured in.

"Then what?"

"He was awoken by a monster with even less regard for life, the Gargoyle prince, Scorpan. He wanted our Kings magic. And when Infinitum would not grant it willingly, Scorpan HURT him. Took it by sheer brute force."

The grief in her voice gave the gathered ponies understanding enough, the papers had mentioned an imprisonment.

"Even broken and barely able to function, Princess Celestia told us Sombra still gave them what little memory he had left, to try help. He gave up the chance to repair himself to speak with the Crystal Empires Prince and Princess when they showed up at the battle. He wanted to apologise, before he became trapped in stasis. It is thanks to the tireless efforts of many ponies that he was awoken once more. But the damage had been done. He could not trust himself to carry through with the prophecy."

She wiped at her eyes, recalling that first meeting. "When we awoke, triggered by Infinitum's return, we were so angry. We blamed the Crystal ponies, wished only to hurt them. But then he came. He was able to clear our minds of the anger that’d been stewing inside, he showed us the truth. That the crystal hearts power was dangerous to us, that it hadn’t been an act of war, merely celebration!"

“The Crystal Faire, I read about that!" One young colt said. Excel nodded.

"Does the Crystal Heart hurt you?" another asked.

"Not any more." Excel smiled "thanks to Infinitum. He gave us everything, every last memory of his past, and begged us to choose who we wanted for ourselves. We spent countless hours trying to choose among us who could possibly take his place, then we realised. Nopony COULD. He knows us because he IS us. All the knowledge of the Umbrum's is ingrained into him, as instinctive as your culture is to YOU. Without even realising it, he was fixing our minds and bodies, protecting us from harm. But the nightmare he endured left him unable to see what he could do, the good in him. He could not rest from punishing himself for the past, and it was taking a terrible toll on him."

"Sweet Celestia that’s a lot for one pony!" the caravan leader shook her head "heck, I feel I’m going crazy just trying to IMAGINE it!"

"So how he did become like he is now?" the stallion next to her asked "he didn’t seem scared or angry when he showed up. He just seemed strong."

"It hasn’t been an easy path," Excel sighed "it took a while before he finally accepted the crown, after his closest friend showed him what he was missing. Belief." she smiled as she recalled Discord "he spoke often to us about our Infinitum, telling us what he seen in him, when he finally laughed and began to trust again. In the end, even the ponies of the Crystal Empire seen what we did, and while it's not official, we virtually held the coronation out of the blue!"

"Hm, this wasn’t what I imagined at all!"

Excel smiled at the pony speaking "the papers can only tell so much, Infinitum's story is a hard one to process, and much has changed since he first awoke. But I believe he's finally coming to terms with it all, not an easy task."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They were all musing and murmuring amongst themselves when the door clicked silently open, and a lone pony ambled past the tables, a blanket draped over his back. This hid his wings, so it took the crowd several seconds to realise the sleepy pony that’d just walked in was Sombra himself.

Excel did a double take, bounding over to land in his path.

"Infinitum?" she queried.

Sombra yelped, backing up a step and his wings pomfed out, sending the blanket fluttering to the wooden floor.

"E-excel?" he stammered, as his sleepy gaze focused on her "what are you doing in the barracks?"

"You’re in the canteen, Infinitum." she said worriedly, seeing how dazed he looked. Sombra stared at her for a few seconds, while his sleepy brain did the maths. Then;

"Oh..assbaskets!" he groaned slowly "not again!"

The kids in the bewildered audience all creased up giggling at this inventive language. Sombra whipped round, wings tensing up again.

"What’s going on?" he asked drowsily.

"I was just explaining about the Umbrum, your highness." Excel studied him closely as he looked back at her again "I must ask; how long have you been sleepwalking, sire?"

Sombra sighed heavily, scratching behind his right ear "On and off, for awhile now. Usually I wake up outside, and can sneak back in before anypony sees. Woke up on the roof once, couldn't fathom how I got up there."

Some of the adults had to chuckle at the mental image.

Sombra wobbled over to the counter, batting at the switch to light the flame for the tea kettle with one hoof. He slumped at the counter, head resting on his forelegs.

The ponies he'd help rescue could see what Excel had been saying. Sombra was working himself to the bone to try and give them a future, regardless of how much it required of him. He seemed to them just like any other pony. Hard working, strong-

"Zzzz...."

And clearly exhausted.

"Infinitum!" Excel panicked, concerned by her King's exhaustion. Sombra sat bolt upright, vision focusing sleepily on her.

"Whassamatter Excel?" he groaned.

"I’m concerned you’re draining your magic too often Infinitum! Girder already told me of your tussle with that Wraith creature, now a herd of Timberwolves?"

"Timberwolves...right.." Sombra yawned "I blew 'em up!"

“Really?" one curious kid asked.

"Mmm-hmm," Sombra nodded, talking to the kettle "kaboom!"

Then he seemed to realise he had a captive audience, he went slightly red as he glanced over at the crowd of ponies he'd rescued.

"My apologies for this, I had thought the sleepwalking was over and done with. Sadly it seems it has not. I hope-" he broke off to yawn again "-you have er...everything you need?"

"We're fine, your Highness." the caravan leader had made her mind up. Going on what she'd seen and learnt, Sombra was a good pony now. He'd saved her group and their wagon.

Sombra managed a weak smile, cheered by the fact they didn’t seem so afraid of him. While Excel made him some tea, the ponies came over to speak with him.

"Woww...those wings are huuuge!" one little kid stared at at the Alicorn Umbrum. Sombra unfolded one wing and laid it flat to the floor so the kids could get a closer look.

"Is so soft!" a little filly giggled, then spotted something."Hey mister, you got a loose feather!"

"Hm?" Sombra blinked, seeing, sure enough, one crystal feather was sticking out at a funny angle.

"Ah, thank you, I should remove it so a new one will grow." Using his magic he tugged it free, holding it up to the light. It was pretty, reflecting little facets of light.

"Wow," the filly who'd pointed it out stared in awe "I don’t have ANY feathers in my collection as pretty as that!"

Sombra smiled softly, and set the feather in front of her "than you can keep it if you wish."

"Yay!" the kid held the feather carefully, entranced by its feel and colours.

"Thanks!" she beamed up at the big Umbrum, who nodded.

"Here you go, Infinitum," Excel set a cup of tea in front of her King "I advise you return to bed, you need to sleep. Have you spoken with the site doctor about this sleepwalking?"

"Ah, no, I thought it had stopped so it slipped my mind. I will seek his advice as soon as possible, Excel."

Excel sighed in relief.


At the back of the gathering, a young unicorn wearing a big hat that swamped his horn stared in an almost envious way at the King. Then he slumped atop the table, tuning the others out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bell clanging jolted Sombra out of his sleep. He sat up, stretched his back and wings, then redressed in his work clothes. Page Assist and Notepage were there to meet him, asking could they help?

Sombra studied these two new assistants he'd unexpectedly gained. They fidgeted nervously under their Kings unwavering gaze. They noted he was in his illusion form, complete with flowing shadow mane.

Certain they were paying attention, Sombra spoke.

"I came here to help construct this kingdom, so I should warn you now I won't be sitting around on my ass. We always welcome any extra help, so see Girder if you want to join a work crew. It is entirely up to you however, you do not have to."

“Yes sire.” They both chorused, bowing their heads respectfully. Sombra fidgeted a little, now they weren’t staring so intently at him. This really felt odd, but he knew he'd need to rely on his staff later on when the Kingdom was complete, so he'd better get used to it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He trotted outside, expecting the two stallions to follow. They shared looks, then nodded. Their King was strong, dependable. It would be their task to be able to match his Highness so as to better serve him. If that meant getting down to work alongside his Majesty, so be it!

So they followed Sombra to see Girder, who gave them an easy task to start off with, helping with painting. They stumbled after the King, but anything they thought up that they figured they could do for him, seconds later Sombra would appear, already finishing the task. And there was SO much paint.

Girder put them on a clean-up crew while Sombra went off to help with some heavy lifting and cementing.

It was a bit of a culture shock to the two aides, and Sombra could see they were struggling to match him when he returned to check on them. They were looking a little twitchy, tripping over the brooms they were steering around.

So he took them aside, asking were they managing?

The two exchanged harried looks, and Sombra frowned.

“W-we're fine Your Majesty-!” The first blurted, and the second nodded rapidly. They studied the King's face, trying to see if he was angry. But the infamous poker face that'd first thrown Girder on meeting the King made a return now. Then the bigger Umbrum finally spoke, his voice even and calm.

"Listen," he said "I don’t want you thinking I will become angry if you cannot match up to what I’M doing. Everypony has different abilities, and you both look pretty strung out."

"We're sorry sire." both ponies exchanged looks and bowed.

Sombra gave a concerned sigh "what did I just say? You don’t need to worry. In fact, I have an idea of ways you can help. Follow me."

They duly nodded and trotted after their King as he traipsed through the site. He led them to Girder, and they hovered a few metres away as Sombra spoke to the foreman, who listened to what he said and nodded. Sombra approached his two aides again.

"I recalled Girder stating he was a little swamped dealing with inventory. You two managed more than admirably sorting out the visit by Cadance and Shining Armor. It seems to me your talents for organisation will be much better served here, and you can leave the heavy lifting to me."

Page Assist and Notepage exchanged looks of utter relief, which made Sombra chuckle.

“But sire, our job is to assist YOU-” Page objected.

“And you ARE.” Sombra insisted “Just because you’re not at my side constantly does not mean you are not doing something useful.”

"We thank you, Your Majesty!" Notepage said, glad to be away from that work. He wasn’t a fan of such mess, and couldn’t fathom how his highness could be so calm about his coat getting all rough and mucky! Even now, he noticed cement dust spattering the stallions side.

But Sombra just smiled happily, and the two realised he wasn’t what they'd expected as a King. He wasn’t standoffish, he wasn’t aloof like you would expect from one of such position. The Infinitum was an exalted position in their culture, and for their King to be so....NORMAL was a bit of a shock. They'd expected somepony a bit more entitled, but they'd just as swiftly learnt Sombra had settled closer to ground after what he'd been through, having been cared for by kind, hard-working ponies of all social standings during his recovery.

But for all their concerns, they realised the ponies here genuinely liked Sombra. The workers crowded round him, asking for his help, or simply wanting to show him the latest progress they’d made. Seeing how they smiled when Sombra praised their work settled any doubts they had of his rule. He may not act like a stereotypical King, but he was no fool, and knew intimately how best to care for the Umbrum's.

Notepage seen Page Assist bow too, and heard the other stallion speak.

"Thank you, Your Majesty. We will do our best to serve the position well!"

"That is all I ask." Sombra said calmly. Girder, seeing Sombra had finished explaining the task to the duo, motioned them to follow him. Sombra nodded his gratitude as he walked away.

"I hope you two are as good as his Highness alluded, I’m not kidding when I say we got invoices out the wazoo."

"His Majesty said that also, what is a wazoo?"

"It's a butt." Girder explained. That settled that then.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sombra was feeling pretty pleased as he trotted back towards his assigned work site. Then a pony came charging out from round the corner, smacking right into him.

"Whoa there," Sombra helped the kid stand, using one wing to brush snow off his coat. "You OK?"

The Pony nodded, seeming more concerned with steadying his oversized hat. Sombra seen a flash of gold, something around the base of the kids horn. He frowned, raising a hoof to ask.

"Please don’t.." the kid mumbled, looking miserable "please don’t ask your m-Majesty."

Sombra faltered, worried by the kids withdrawn expression, the tearful expression on his face. Then he heard the young stallion's stomach grumble. The poor kid looked evermore embarrassed.

In a parody of a prior incident from the start of his recovery, Sombra's gurgled in retaliation, making the kid chuckle faintly.

"Oh don’t start a stomach fight with me!" Sombra joked, nodding his head towards a stack of wooden crates that they could sit on "Luckily for stomach wars, I always keep some ammunition in my saddlebag!"

He raised the flap, showing some cakes and sweets. "Miss Pie keeps mailing me tons of them. Would you like some?"

The Colt's eyes brightened, and he nodded.

"I assume your part of the Caravan rescued yesterday." Sombra asked as they sat down.

“Y-yeah, I seen you come swooping in. It was pretty badass." the young pony nodded.

"Bad..ass?" Sombra queried "pray tell, what does that mean?"

Seeing the Kings puzzled expression, as he accepted the cake from the monarch, the younger pony cleared his throat.

"It means cool. Awesome. Basically, it was pretty amazing."

Sombra analysed all this "I see. I'm still catching up current language."

"There's a lot of it." the kid smiled.

"What is your name?" Sombra asked.

"I'm Crossfire, your Highness." The kid seemed a little cheerier, but still subtly withdrawn.

"How long has your group been travelling?"

“Ages, man! We came from far in the wastes, but it's just too inhospitable out there. We're looking for a new home."

“Is this all of you?"

"No, there's loads waiting back home. We're just scouts. We left in search of a new spot to live, that and to bring back supplies. We're running really low."

“Is it critical?" Sombra asked. The kid jolted, recognising that term.

"T-that's what my mother said, she's second in command next to the mare you met last night. My little sister was the one you gave that crystal feather to. She loves that thing, I've never seen a crystal pony, like, literally crystal." He cocked his head to the side, seeming more confident "are you the only one that can change from one to the other?"

Sombra smiled faintly, noting the change in subject but letting it slide, nodding "I was raised in an orphanage, believed to be just a normal pony thanks to this spell. I've lived so long in this guise, I’m still getting used to the Umbrum form. My ponies don’t seem to mind, they recognise me in both forms."

They cleared out the rest of the stash of goodies in Sombra's saddlebags in short order.

"Thanks." Crossfire looked better, but he still seemed haunted. Sombra again found his gaze moving to the hat the pony used to hide his horn.

Crossfire had found the King to be sympathetic, far different then he'd expected. He didn’t think a busy pony like him would have time for a kid, yet he'd not batted an eyelid, just offered him cake.

He reached a hoof up to his cap and Sombra hoped he could find out what was making this pony look so depressed.

Then they heard a voice calling, and the kids hoof shot back down to his side. A mare, obviously his mother, came hurrying around the corner and hesitated a moment. She stared at the cap, then her son, then last but not least she looked for anything worrying in the Umbrum Alicorn's expression. But Sombra seemed surprised only by her entrance, and smiled kindly.

"Crossfire!" the mare said crossly, as her son sighed and seemed to sink back into gloom again "you shouldn’t be bothering his majesty!"

"It has been no bother ma'am," Sombra said kindly as he and her son approached. He looked in her eyes and seen she was obviously worried about her son, although he couldn't help wonder if there was more to it? "I was just enquiring about some linguistic anomalies."

“Some what's?" she blinked.

"He was asking me to explain some modern phrases, ya know, like slang words from back home." Crossfire elaborated.

"I see." She looked perplexed as to why he'd need to know this.

Sombra chuckled "I work around ponies who constantly cycle through a vocabulary that is much more fantastical then my own. I merely wish to understand so I wont have to keep looking blank when somepony says something I cannot understand. Strange as it may seem, I am certain it will serve its purpose once the new Empire is open to the rest of Equestria."

"Of course!" now she understood "well I’m glad my son could be of use, your highness. I'm afraid I need his help for now, however."

"I'll see you 'round." Crossfire sighed, and Sombra couldn’t resist a joke.

"You will if I keep eating this much cake!" the King coughed. Crossfire realised the joke and started sniggering, making his mother roll her eyes.

"Boys and their humour." she sighed, but at least her smile seemed more genuine now.

Sombra bid them farewell, wondering if there was some way he could help? What the kid was describing felt similar to part of his own past...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next, he went to see the new platoon assigned there by Vorak. He wondered if they were comfortable suddenly being transplanted, and made a note to bring it up once he located the one in charge.

But he was pre-empted by the Gargoyle squad leader greeting him personally soon as he stepped in the door.

"We didn’t have time to talk yesterday, your majesty, might I talk with you now?"

"Of course!" Sombra agreed, and the leader bowed gratefully. They walked through the crowds to settle in a far corner, where the Gargoyle Captain brewed some traditional tea, which Sombra found to be very delicious.

"I am Captain Corona. Our King spoke to all his forces at length about you, King Sombra" the leader stated "He spoke of what you did for him and the Queen, and his gratitude for the getsure."

Sombra realised they were talking about the "forgiving their sons crimes" matter.

"They had no blame to bear," he said sincerely "they loved their sons dearly, but Scorpan's choices were his own. When they asked me to forgive THEM for his actions, I realised they should not have to bear that weight. We should all face up to our mistakes, difficult as it may seem."

Corona noticed the flicker of regret in the King's expression, and nodded. King Vorak had explained who Sombra was and most importantly how hard the pony had fought to change his life. This beings actions in his past weren’t pleasant, but he'd managed to earn a second chance, those from the empire he'd enslaved had even forgiven him. This was a path young master Scorpan could have gained, had he not chosen to try and kill Sombra and destroy the Princesses of Equestria! He personally admired a being that could make a fresh start from what most would not recover from.

King Vorak had spoken of Sombra with enormous respect, and even the Queen seemed happier now then she had when the news had first reached them of their second son's crimes.

Sombra shook his head to clear it, then smiled "It is thanks to the generosity of the King and Queen in giving the research Scorpan had gained on my species, that Celestia and Discord were able to wake me up."

"It is our respect for your willingness to forgive Scorpan's actions that made all of us here volunteer to join this detachment. King Vorak asked all his soldiers who would take on this task, and we were selected as the best of the best. We hope we will be able to serve you well, your majesty." He bowed formally "While we are under your command, we will serve you as we do King Vorak; What are your orders?"

Sombra blinked, a bit surprised that they didn’t prefer supervision by their own leader? The Gargoyle read the pony’s surprised expression and smiled wryly;

"I will keep these soldiers in line your majesty, that is MY role. But as our Kings appointed equal, "Captain", it is your orders we will follow. King Vorak asked we give you THIS." he opened a pouch and withdrew a stylized military badge similar to his own, inlaid with a red ruby "it is a sign of your role to us."

When the Umbrum King accepted the role, the shimmering ornamentation was pinned to his cloak.

"Whatever task you have for us Your Majesty, were ready to go." The leader saluted. Sombra returned it, thinking this was teaching him a LOT about military management too. More things his future Kingdom would need.

"Well, I hope you and your troop have no objection to a LOT of hard work. We can always use a helping paw with the building."

"No fear there Your Majesty! We're trained to be tough, the empire we come from is a harsh mistress. We will not disappoint."

Sombra smiled gratefully, and added "there is one other task I don’t doubt you could greatly assist with. With the Timberwolf attacks on the rise, there is no denying security needs a boost. We do not have a full compliment of guards for the situation, and we urgently need to dispatch a group to the woods north of here. There is a caravan of refugees resting here that came close to being wolf food!"

The leader took this in, seeing the concern in the King's face.

"If I can speak with the head of your guard here, we will see to it those cretins trouble this place no longer!" he boasted. Sombra looked relieved, and asked Corona to follow him, they’d go see the guard now.

The other gargoyles and centaurs bowed respectfully once more as the King walked by, studying him surreptitiously. He was an imposing figure, built like a solid brick wall. Very much the warrior type.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the guard and the new troops working together on a security rotation plan, Sombra set up a set of beacons much as he'd done before when they were all out searching for Key. They'd be needed for the patrol to the forest. With the low visibility lately, he didn’t want to risk any losses.

This meant flying out around the area where he'd seen the caravan, and flying over the forest mentioned by the fleeing ponies.

Luckily it didn’t require as much magic, now he'd had time to go over the spell in his mind. Instead of powering them independently, he could store a charge inside them so they'd need topping up, but at least it wasn’t draining him steadily.

Task done with, he flew back to the site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By days end, Page Assist and Notepage were tired but certain the King would be pleased with their work. Sure enough, they were rewarded with their Kings approval and thanks for their efforts. They joined the monarch for dinner, mulling over what the day following the King had taught them.

They had anticipated it would be a challenging job being trialled as the Kings first set of staff. They were told by Excel that their job was to take care of Sombra, ensure whatever he needed was sorted without him having to worry. Anticipate his needs. They'd expected him to need their help.

They HADN'T expected him to already be so proficient at so many duties.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crossfire wrapped his blanket around himself and snuck out of the dorm he was sleeping in with his fellow stallions and colts and scaled a rooftop to get some fresh air.

All was silent and he thought himself alone, until he seen something out of the corner of his eye. It appeared to be a pony- wait, why was the King up here?

He edged his way over to the next rooftop, glad the buildings were close together. Hopping the gap, he crept closer. Sombra was just sitting there, his back to the kid.

"Your Highness?" when the pony didn’t stir, Crossfire cleared his throat and tried again.

"King Sombra, sir..?" But the pony still didn’t respond. Puzzled, Crossfire peered round and realised he was sleepwalking, or sleep-sitting to be accurate. He was fast asleep, just sat there.

He dimly recalled that other Umbrum saying something about sleepwalking during the meeting last night. So now, with a deep breath, he shook Sombra's shoulder.

"Whuh-?!" Sombra's body went rigid and he stumbled to his feet. He'd have near slipped off the roof with the position he was facing, but for Crossfire hooking his forelegs around his neck and pulling him back.

"Kid?" Sombra stared blurredly at his rescuer "was I-?"

“Sleepwalking, yeah." Crossfire looked relieved "you were so still, it gave me a fright!"

"I apologise if I gave you a shock. The doctor has expressed concern over these late night meanders-" he cut off "wait, how come you are here? Mistake it not for ingratitude, I am glad you woke me, but why are you up here alone?"

The kid looked downcast and bit his lip. Sombra wondered if a trade would be in order.

"I will tell you the reason behind my sleepwalking if it will help you get what's troubling you off your chest? It doesn’t seem anyone in your group can help."

Crossfire looked up at the King, seeing the concern and honesty on his face, and nodded.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They sat atop the roof, with Sombra's huge wings unfurled to act as a barrier to shield his young conversation partner from the chill wind.

Sombra started off, explaining about his sleepwalking.

"When I first awoke here, back in Equestria, I was held prisoner in a dark cave. Ever since then, I have been averse to not just caves, but sometimes cramped environments. It is not as bad now, but it was originally much worse."

“That sounds horrible!" Crossfire shivered.

Sombra looked saddened a moment "it was," he said a last "for a long time it made me physically sick to endure contact, and when I first tried venturing into a cave it caused such panic I fled and was regrettably sick. It is easier now, but I would still avoid such places, were it not for one thing."

“What's that?" Crossfire asked.

"What good can I be to an empire of Umbrum's, if someday my fears cause me to fail to act when needed? I simply cannot let it happen, so I have to be rid of it sooner or later."

"Wow, that’s a pretty awesome goal." Crossfire sighed "I’m not that brave."

"How do you know?"

"Because all I cause is trouble, your majesty!" Crossfire blurted. He took a deep breath, whipping the hat off. Sombra stared in surprise.

"Is that?"

“It's a suppressor."

Sombra recalled thinking he may have to wear one back when his magic first returned, and shivered.

"Why? Those things aren’t exactly recommended, save as a last resort."

“My magic IS last resort material. It's uncontrollable. I've started numerous fires by accidental misfire, my spells tend to go overkill. In the end, my parents took the mayor's advice, and found this thing. They said it was for the best."

"When did this start?" Sombra asked.

"After my last birthday."

Sombra frowned "a growth surge? My magic manifested like that, only I let it loose on purpose because I felt betrayed. Your case does not seem that way."

“Sure feels like my parents betrayed me. They turned their backs and stuck their heads in the sand. I've spent countless nights trying to figure it out, but I really don't know how it happened!" Crossfire sniffled, hating the suppressor "my parents don’t know what to do, they’re afraid to ask for help. They think its a sign they failed as parents. Our whole village is obsessed with keeping up a front, but who the buck's it FOR?!" he felt himself starting to shake, then tears welled up.

Sombra was shocked to see the kid crying, seeing how he blamed himself. How his parents didn't seem to want a cure or assistance. Surely somepony in this day and age could understand?

Crossfire felt embarrassed about behaving like a child, but the King's unexpected sympathy was something he hadn't encountered in so long. He felt a hoof pat his shoulder, and looked up into the King's concerned eyes.

"There’s no need for upset. You have done nothing to be ashamed of. Would you wish me to speak with your parents?"

"No!" Crossfire gasped. Seeing Sombra flinch in surprise, he back-peddled "its not that I don’t appreciate it your majesty, b-but trust me, not even YOU can get through to them. They’re pretty set in their ways. Thanks for letting me say something, at least."

"It is the least that I could do." Sombra assured him, but it concerned him how down this kid was. He had a very low opinion of himself. It reminded Sombra of how he'd beaten himself up for so long, treating himself as little more than a monster.

Seeing the kid was shivering, Sombra suggested they both retire to their beds.

"Thanks, for everything." Crossfire smiled as he opened the door, Sombra using his magic to muffle the sound of their voices "it was nice to talk to somepony who understands."

Sombra nodded, watching the kid sneak back to bed before he returned to his own barracks. He dozed off rapidly, the kids situation still on his mind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He got up early, sneaking off in lieu of breakfast to see if he could catch Crossfire and ask a further question about the Caravan's situation. As he approached the door, somepony came running out. Mindful of his encounter yesterday, the Alicorn danced aside as she skidded to a halt just past him.

"Your Highness?" she sounded genuinely surprised as she spotted who it was.

"Are you OK, miss?" he asked, recognising her as Crossfire's mother.

"No, I’m not." She hesitated, then blurted "I lost my jewellery box!"

“Oh dear. Where abouts do you think you lost it?" Sombra asked. "On site?"

"I thought it might have been back when we encountered YOU, but everypony says you picked up all the packages when you fixed the caravan. I think it might have been back in the forest."

"Where you encountered the Timberwolves?" Sombra filled in. She nodded, looking upset and frustrated.

"I will ask Girder if he can instruct the guards to keep a look out, we have intent to send a patrol out tomorrow to survey that area. Would that put your mind at ease?"

Her eyes brightened, she seemed startled but happy.

"Really? You'd do that?" she sounded relieved "thank you your highness."

"No problem miss." Sombra figured he'd leave the questions for later, he needed to give this new proposal to Girder. He asked her for a description, writing it all down in a notebook he kept in in his saddlebags.

Just as she was thanking him once more, the door was flung open and Crossfire came out. He shot right by Sombra, not seeing the bigger pony. He disappeared in between the buildings, and Sombra turned back to the door in time to see a pony that was easily identified as Crossfire's father push through the door.

"That young pony is just imposs-your highness!" He snapped to attention, not wanting this royalty to see anything was the matter. It wasn't proper to air such troubles in public. Then he seen his wife, and asked had she found anypony to help her?

"Actually, his highness has offered to get the guard to keep a look out on the patrol of that forest!"

"Oh! Well, much appreciated your highness!" The father nodded sternly "I apologise for our sons behaviour, he's always been a little...rambunctious."

“No need for apologies.” Sombra said calmly.

Crossfire's father swallowed uneasily, sensing something in Sombra's stance that said he wasn’t buying it. Did the stallion suspect something was odd about their son?

In an effort to distract the stallions attention, he thanked him for the rescue, saying he'd never seen anything like it!

Sombra nodded, saying they were more than welcome and if they needed anything they were to come to him or Girder. As he walked away, the wife trotted over to her husband, asking in a low whisper that the wind carried to Sombra's ears as he walked away.

"Honey, don’t you think he could help? He's got magical capability beyond anything anypony has seen before, according to Excel. Cant we, I mean he's an ALICORN-?"

"We cant go bothering a King, my dear. I'm sure he has more urgent responsibilities. No, we have to deal."

The rest was lost, and Sombra was fast becoming ever more concerned about the kid.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He hunted high and low, eventually coming across a pony who'd seen Crossfire hiding behind the back of the food hall. Sombra tiptoed down there, but the colt was gone. Sombra was starting to feel distinctly uneasy. He searched everywhere, but Crossfire had given him the slip. Figuring he needed some space, he headed back towards the work site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He got a few scattered tasks done when his path brought him across the kids situation once again.

Midway to the storerooms he seen a small crowd, seen Girder amongst them. So he trotted over and spotted it was Crossfire's parents.

"You-" The husband was frantic, and latched onto the King as the crowd parted to let him through "you were talking to my son the other day! Did you see him today?"

Sombra shook his head "what’s happened?"

"He’s missing!" the wife cried. Somber felt a jolt of panic. He asked if he could speak with them privately. Girder dispersed the crowd, but stayed nearby in case of trouble.

"What was the argument this morning over?" Sombra asked bluntly. "Is there a reason he'd have raced off?"

"Well," the father blustered "no offence your majesty, but that’s my business and my wife’s. You needn’t concern yourself-"

"I’m afraid I must." Sombra said sharply "I have spoken with your son. He came across me having a sleepwalking episode, stopped me toppling off a roof!"

Girder made a distinctly concerned noise, but didn’t interrupt.

"He was out at night?" the mother asked.

"Yes, he couldn’t sleep. I noticed he seemed upset, and asked did he wish to talk. What he revealed had me concerned."

"That ingrate, how dare-" the father began, but was cut off by Sombra's authoritative tones.

"The young pony was crying, saying he could not talk to either of you for fear of what, I don’t know. I offered assistance, but he became scared of you finding out. I am not here to judge, but do not presume me to be a fool, SIR. Your child is missing, this area isn’t safe yet. NOW I will ask of you once more: What. Happened. This is vital, Social impropriety be damned!"

The father realised that a) he wasn't going to fool Sombra or throw him off the scent and b) his wife was right, it seemed Sombra DID know more then they guessed.

He faced down the King, seeing the determination in the pony’s eyes he realised the stallion was right, finding the missing colt was far more important.

"If that is the case Your Majesty, then I presume you know about his magic."

Sombra nodded "I know he's labouring under a suppressor, his magic appears to be...erratic."

"We cant control it!" The wife looked saddened "after the fires happened, when he tried to control it himself- we had no choice!"

"Once he is found, I will ensure some other alternative is located." Sombra frowned "did he give any hint this morning?"

"No, he just said he was going to prove me wrong, that he could be useful!" the father fretted.

"Useful...?" the wording made Sombra pause.

"Yes, it was after his mother asked if he'd moved her jewellery box. I asked him to help us find it and he said why couldn’t he try his magic," the father sighed "I told him no way in Equestria was I letting such unstable power lose in such a crowded place. He got upset, saying he hated me, and that why would he have to leave behind the one pony that'd listened to him when we move on."

He trailed off, looking up at Sombra "I see now he meant you, your highness."

Sombra ran everything through his head. The conversation from earlier, where Crossfire's mother had mentioned the loss of her jewellery box.

The husband and wife seen the King go pale, a look of frantic concern settling on his face that had Girder scurrying over to ask what the matter was?

"The forest..." Sombra panicked "What if he went out to the forest?"

Crossfire's mother looked terrified, and her husband wasn’t faring much better.

"Please, you have to help us find him!" the father blurted, begging Sombra.

Sombra looked at Girder, who nodded.

"Go get 'im Your Majesty. I’ll assemble a team to follow after you."

Sombra nodded. With a flash of magic he shifted to his crystal form, his armor settling over his body a moment after. With a whip-crack his wings extended, their glittering surface making light scatter. Without hesitation he took off, disappearing into the sky.

"What can we do?" Crossfires mother asked.

"His highness knows what he's doing." Girder said as he turned to go fetch a guard team. "The best you can do is wait here. If anypony can locate him, I’d place my chips on his highness."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sombra shot off as fast as he could, following his own beacons all the way to the forest. His heart was in his throat, and he hoped against hope the young pony was alright!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crossfire could hardly believe his luck. He'd FOUND it. After trekking all the way over here, he'd crept through the forest, hearing no signs of Timberwolves. He'd assumed Sombra had blown them all up during that fight!

Then he'd come across the box. It was a little dented, but still locked, still in one piece.

Just as he was turning to go, he heard a soft rumble, heard twigs snapping. He turned slowly, seeing glowing eyes in the undergrowth.

--I thought they were all gone..!!-- he panicked, backing up against a massive rock. He tried to edge around it, but growls from behind him made him realise he was surrounded. Turning back, he seen one of them leap from the cover of the trees, jaws opened wide-

Then it slammed face first into a shield.

"Sorry, you walking lumps of firewood, but he's not on the menu."

Crossfires heart lifted, he knew that voice!

Sure enough, a familiar Alicorn dropped down from the trees above, landing between the shielded Crossfire and the wolves. They backed up, growling subtly.

"Get out of here!" Sombra fluffed his wings up to maximum, making himself as big as possible. Some of the wolves shifted back, looking uneasy. but the new one that had clearly won the dominance fight decided against common sense and charged for Sombra.

Crossfire huddled under the shield as Sombra blasted the first wolf back, which only served to enrage it further. The whole pack launched into the fray. Blasts of searing purple magic ricocheted off tree trunks, blasting chunks off others.

Two of the wolves were downed by the powerful magic seconds into the fight. But it was a lot harder to fight in such close quarters. The mass of trees made it hard for Sombra to move freely. He swung one of his powerful wings and clocked one wolf across the face, cracking its jaw. Crossfire watched in panic, franticly tugging at the suppressor on his horn. He couldn’t let the King get ripped apart by wolves because of this...damn thing!

He felt a heart starting to build in his horn, then a sharp pain that nearly made him black out. He fell back, dazed, hearing crackling sounds. Then he seen something that tipped him over the edge.

Sombra was pinning the alpha wolf to the ground, wrestling with it. His wings were flapping erratically, trying to aid his balance. One of the stunned wolves got up, setting its target on the crystalline King. It charged Sombra's side, pitching the entirety of its hefty weight and smashing it into Sombra. The Alicorn was thrown back, coming to a halt against the base of a big tree. He was dazed, one wing pinned under him. The wolves closed in-

“No!” crossfire screamed, he couldn’t let this happen-

Sombra seen through fuzzy vision as a blast of bright blue magic crackled through the air, striking the closest wolf and disintegrating it. Two more met this fate, as all eyes turned to Crossfire.

He'd destroyed the shield and stood free, a barely functioning suppressor still on his horn. The thing was cracked and broken.

"Leave. Him. ALONE!!" Crossfire shouted "you brainless walking chumps!"

They ran towards him now, and he felt his horn fill with magic once more. It felt good to finally set it free. He seen Sombra stagger to his feet, renewed strength in his eyes.

The wolves soon realised they were outmatched. Between this targets sudden magic surge, and the recovered Sombra, they were outmatched.

Soon the forest floor was littered with shards of wood, the air filled with a tang of powerful magic...

Crossfire stood, heart going a million miles an hour. Then the suppressor crackled, and he cried out in pain. Sombra raced over, examining the device and seeing it was now severely malfunctioning.

"Help me!" Crossfire whimpered.

"It's alright, just hold still. I can fix this."

Crossfire's heart ached. Suppressed once again, right? But if it meant the pain would stop...

He nodded, closing his eyes.

"Focus on your breathing, this will sting a moment." Sombra apologised.

At first his intent WAS to fix the thing. But then he thought about what he'd just seen. And realised this may just be the turning point...

Crossfire felt the other pony's horn press to his, sensed the Alicorn's magic-

Despite being warned about it, he still yelped when a stab of pain hit his head. He back-peddled, gasping.

"Geez...y-you weren’t kidding!"

"Sorry, it required more power than expected." Sombra was watching him curiously.

"So, that’s what my magic is like." Crossfire sighed. With the suppressor active, he allowed himself to relax.

"Its powerful, you clearly have unique magic."

“That's not how my parents see it." Crossfire teared up "I wanted to find the box, so they'd maybe praise me for once. instead of acting like I’m a disgrace."

"You're not a disgrace. You're clearly intelligent-"

"Then why don't they see that?!" Crossfire yelled, looking up at the King "why do they only see me as a...a monster!!"

Sombra felt a jab of sympathy.

"Trust me, Master Crossfire, I understand how that feels. For a long time I convinced myself I was second class, nothing. When I found out my Umbrum's wanted me to be their King, I refused at first. I did not think they deserved to bear my curse, after all I’d done."

"What did they say to that?" Crossfire asked.

"They refused to buy it. They found a way to show me the good I had already done, and was capable of doing. Eventually I realised the past didn’t mean I couldn’t have a future. Even the Crystal ponies, the ones who had no reason to forgive me, banded together to convince me to finally accept the crown after Excel asked for their help. Now, I’m watching a new Empire grow from the ground up."

"Wow, sounds like it was rough." Crossfire said softly. Sombra nodded.

"I know it is hard to shake the misconceptions we end up bearing, those around us don’t know how to handle us. So they try to fix us. But we're not broken, we're just different, we deserve our chance. Sometimes we learn bad lessons, and these can colour our world for the worse. I know it is not easy shaking these chains loose. But you deserve to be more confident in yourself, and I believe you CAN control your magic."

Crossfire sighed "I wish my parents were as accepting as your Umbrum's. But they never see me as anything but a nuisance to their standing in a fading society, an embarrassment of a unicorn with uncontrolled magic. I cant last a day without my magic sparking off or short circuiting."

Sombra smiled gently "I think you’ll feel different soon enough."

"That’s kind of you, your highness, but I doubt it." Crossfire sighed. Sombra stepped forward, raising his wings.

"Lets get out of here. Do you fancy a flight?"

Crossfire's mood lifted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seconds later and they were in the air, the younger pony riding atop Sombra's back, forelegs looped around his neck. The jewellery box was stashed in Sombra's saddlebag. They swooped over the woods, Sombra spotted a platoon of guards about to enter the forest. He swooped down, calling out to them.

"Your Majesty!" They looked relieved to see both him and the shaken Crossfire, and followed him on the ground as Sombra soared back towards the building site.

The closer they got to landing, the more tense he sensed Crossfire become. But he smiled to himself, his plan would hopefully mean a change for this kid.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crossfire's mother and father were pacing about in front of the sleeping area, Girder waiting with them, alongside Excel. Then there was a whoosh of air and Sombra drifted down from the sky. The rest of the caravan swarmed around him and his passenger as Sombra helped set Crossfire on his hooves.

The young pony tensed as he seen his parents, but was surprised when they ran over and hugged him.

Sombra relaxed, seeing the colts parents so happy to see him returned safe. But it still bothered him that Crossfire was feeling the way he was.

When Crossfire removed the box form Sombra's saddlebag and gave it to his mother, she hugged him again, saying something about him being worth more then her jewellery, but she was thankful nonetheless.

Sombra opened his mouth to suggest Crossfire be checked over by a doctor, in case of shock. He stepped towards them, but this sudden movement reminded him too late of injuries sustained in the fight. He'd forgotten about them in the heat of the battle, and the relief of escape. But now, as he stepped forward, those nearby heard an audible CRACK, and seen the Alicorn stumble and turn several shades paler.

"Y-your highness?" The father ceased awkwardly trying to talk to his son, and the gathering of ponies all focused on Sombra. Sombra sat down, teleporting the armor to his spot in the sleeping quarters where he always kept it.

He peered at his side quickly, but seeing Crossfire looking panicked he flattened the wing down and laughed, trying to make an excuse about it just being the armor-

Crossfire dove forward, carefully but urgently lifting the pony’s wing and feeling his heart lodge in his mouth as he seen a painful looking crack carved diagonally across Sombra's right side, reaching up to the base of the wing.

"I knew it," he panicked, his voice wobbling "you got hurt because of ME-"

"HOLD IT." Sombra said sternly enough that even Crossfire's parents jumped slightly, Sombra set a hoof under the upset pony's chin, making the kid look up at him. Crossfire was surprised to see the King's stern but sympathetic expression, expecting him to be angry.

"This occurred because a Timberwolf foolishly decided to pick a fight, along with several of its dim witted fellows. I'd be full of so many fractures I’d resemble a relief map of Equestria, had you not shoved that thing off me." he smile at the mopey Crossfire, who blinked up at him.

"But my magic-" The younger stallion said anxiously, staring at the ground to let his mane hide his face, hoping his parents wouldn't hear "-wont you have to tell them?"

Sombra shook his head, and lowered his voice "just trust me a little longer, alright?" he asked "can you do that?"

Crossfire nodded. He wasn't sure what Sombra was up to, but the King had been kind to him.

"Are you alright, your majesty?" Girder came over, examining the cut "last time you had a cut on this form, it translated to a broken wing!"

"It's alright, I do not feel this one is as serious as that, it does not go as deep. Perhaps a broken rib or two at most."

"Can't you heal it in that form?" Somepony asked. Sombra hesitated, and sighed sadly.

"Not that I can say for sure, it is regrettable that a large portion of my memories were corroded by imprisonment. Even the other Umbrum are still piecing things about our species. I'm trying to figure out how my magic seems capable of diverting itself to healing serious injuries without my telling it to. I seek a way to control that ability, but so far it has eluded me."

"The Infinitum clause." One pony said.

"Basically, yes.." Sombra smiled. He got to his feet, sending Girder an apologetic glance.

"I apolog-"

Girder raised a hoof before Sombra could finish "Focus on fixing yourself up your Highness, don’t worry. There’ll still be a load of work to do once you’ve healed! We got orders out the wazoo to process!"

Sombra looked relieved, and slowly got to his hooves. With the adrenaline wearing off he felt a bit stiff limbed.

He seen Crossfire be guided inside and smiled, his plan was unfolding just fine. It was a bit risky, but he got the feeling it'd be OK.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He settled down on his bed, ruminating on his healing capabilities. He HAD to develop a way to figure out his ability as an infinitum. The strange healing ability had worked twice now, unintentionally. When he'd tried to remove his wings, and the fight with the Timberwolf the Wraith had possessed. He closed his eyes, focusing on the injury on his side.

Unnoticed by him his whole body began to shimmer softly. Magic flowed from his horn down to his side. the fracture shone, then began, slowly, with minute crackling sounds, began to seal itself. Sombra gritted his teeth, feeling the strain, but sensing it was working. He pushed it further, almost done-

There! He felt it reach the end of the cut, and not a second too soon! He felt extremely light headed, and mistakenly tried to stand up only to wobble and collapse over onto his bed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was how the doctor found him. He took in the barely moving unconscious Umbrum and panicked, checking his pulse and listening to his breathing..

He jumped back as Sombra stirred, lifting his head and staring blearily at the doctor.

"Whassamatter?" he mumbled.

"I found you passed out sire, what happened? Girder said you’d injured your side, but I see no fractures on you!"

"You don’t-?" Sombra craned round to his side. he took in his neatly healed side and bolted to his hooves with a triumphant whoop! Then wobbled unsteadily, complaining about the spinning room.

"Sit DOWN, Your Majesty!" the doctor insisted. Sombra plopped down on his rear without complaint, still smiling however. The doc checked him over, but was satisfied his patient was physically fine, just a bit tired. He insisted Sombra take the rest of the day off, and he'd check him over in the morning. Sombra happily took the advice, and was fast asleep by the time the door shut behind the doctor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He slept right through until evening time, his magic slightly replenished by the nap. He changed back to his flesh and blood illusion form, noting there wasn’t even a sign of the injury he'd healed in his Umbrum form. He'd found the answer he sought!

He got up and decided to finish his plan. He walked over to the building the ponies in the caravan were staying in.

He knocked at the door and the caravan leader opened it, doing a double take at the Alicorn standing patiently there.

"Your highness?" she asked "what brings you here?"

"I wished to speak to Crossfire and his parents-"

As he spoke, he caught voices drifting over.

"It's too dangerous!"

“But dad, you heard him! My magic kicked that wolfs ass!"

“Watch your language Crossfire-!"

"Ah," Sombra nodded "looks like I got here just in time!"

The Caravan leader looked baffled, but something about the King's expression told her he knew what he was doing. So she stepped back, allowing the oddly enigmatic ruler to stride in, and over to the arguing group. Everypony was gathering around the fight, thus nopony noticed Sombra move closer.

"Why don't you trust me, the King did!"

"He replaced the suppressor, he cant trust you that much!" His father blustered.

"He probably only did that because he knew you'd get like this!"

The kid sniffled, hating his parents for failing to see in him what Sombra had.

"That suppressor is a necessity and that's final!"

"Actually," Sombra spoke up, making everypony turn to face him "I have evidence to the contrary."

"Y-your highness!" the mother's jaw dropped as she beheld the Alicorn pony. Sombra smiled kindly, but there was an edge of cunning there too.

"What do you mean, evidence?" the father blustered. Sombra wasn’t a pony you could easily shoo away or intimidate, so he made no move to hamper the King as Sombra walked over to stand by Crossfire. The younger pony looked up at him, flushed and upset.

"Don’t worry." Sombra assured him. Then he sat himself down, cleared his throat and addressed the two parents, although it pretty much everypony included given the closeness of the crowd.

"He isn’t lying. That many Timberwolves in close quarters proved a difficult quarry. They pack quite a punch when they head-butt you clean across a clearing. I'd have had more than a minor fracture had your son not intervened. He overloaded the suppressor to save ME, a fact I am indebted to him for."

He continued, as everypony began murmuring, hearing Sombra backing up Crossfire's tale.

"His magic prevented serious injury to us both. I haven’t seen power like his before, but I don’t doubt he is capable of impressive magic. It was at this point, seeing the control he exerted when somepony's life was in danger, that I put my theory to the test. You see, I didn’t fix the suppressor, I merely simulated the sensation."

"What do you mean?" Crossfire backed up so he could look up at Sombra "It's right here." he tapped it with his hoof, making a faint ringing sound.

Sombra smiled and closed his eyes.

With a flash of magic and a faint popping sound, the suppressor wavered and disappeared.

"A fake. It was a simulacrum spell."

Jaws hit the floor with such speed Sombra could’ve heard a moth fart in the silence.

"The...whahuuh-?" The father recovered first, gaping at the King like he was crazy, waving a hoof at him "you did WHAT?! Are you crazy?"

Sombra's wings lifted a little, then settled down, as if emulating a shrug.

"No, but I have been. And trust me, this is sane by my standards." Sombra took the insult rather calmly, entirely unfazed.

He looked at Crossfire next, smiling apologetically "I hope you will forgive the deception. But I needed to see if the key truly was your own self-confidence."

Crossfire stared at him as this sunk in "you mean this whole time, since you rescued me, I haven’t had a suppressor on at all?"

Sombra smiled, and withdrew something from the inside pocket of his cloak. It was the original suppressor. Mangled and fried, he set it on the fathers outstretched hoof, which was still pointing at him in outrage.

"Not even for a second. I hope you can accept my apology for tricking you-"

He was cut off as Crossfire, tears of utter joy in his eyes, sprang forward, flinging his forelegs around Sombra's middle and hugging him tightly. Tears rolled down his cheeks, soaking into the pony’s fur.

"Thank you," he sniffled "nopony's ever given this much of a chance before!" he broke down crying completely then, and Sombra patted his back kindly, letting him cry it out.

Crossfire's parents stared at the short-circuited suppressor on the fathers hoof, then at their son, who was crying on the Umbrum King's shoulder. They seen Sombra's calm, assured acceptance and their son's relief at finally having somepony trust him.

After a minutes full-out crying, Crossfire sniffled and sat back, wiping his eyes hurriedly.

"Feeling better?" Sombra asked. Crossfire nodded, rubbing at his horn once more, habitually seeking the suppressor.

The crowd took this in with stunned shock. This whole time the young stallion had been amongst them, entirely unsuppressed and nothing had happened, no sudden fires or things exploding. And somehow, this strange King had figured it out in a day!

"Crossfire..." He looked up at his mothers voice, seeing her hovering close by, as if afraid to disturb him from the King's side.

"See?" The young pony said, looking determined to get his point across "HE gave me a chance, why wouldn’t you?"

"We didn’t know it was possible-"

"You never even TRIED!" Crossfire cried.

"I know you’re angry, and you’ve every right to be." His father stepped forward "we were scared, we didn’t know what to do with such magic. Nothing like it has ever been seen in our family, our clan before!"

"Your Majesty," the mother bowed gratefully "if I may ask, how did you know this would work?"

Sombra smiled "because I realised what he wanted most, a CHANCE. Sometimes all we need is somepony to believe we can do the impossible, and battle through it."

He smiled sorrowfully "if you spend all your time believing your a danger, that you’ll hurt everypony around you, you only end up hurting yourself. But the problem will always be there, nothing will change until you face it. And sometimes, all it takes is one pony to make you feel grounded enough to try."

Crossfire detected something in his words "Did that happen to you too?" he asked "I know that crystal lady pony mentioned things were pretty bad.."

Sombra nodded, gaze going distant as he recalled it "With Scorpan gone, and the Umbrum's clamouring for freedom. I was convinced if they stayed around ME they’d be in danger, given my past. But the one who became my closest friend, he kept repeating one particular word. Every time I yelled at him, told him I was no ruler to the Umbrum, all he would say was "YET". And he kept on repeating this, no matter how frustrated I got, and in the end..."

He lifted one hoof, and the crown appeared balanced on it. Crossfire's eyes and the rest of the crowd's were on stalks. They'd briefly seen him wearing it when he'd rescued them, but seeing it up close was interesting.

"Wow, it's so cool." Crossfire stared. Sombra chuckled and jokingly set it on the young pony's head.

"Feels heavy..." Crossfire noted "Do you notice it much?"

"Not any more," Sombra smiled "I will never stop noticing its presence, it just feels at home now."

Crossfire nodded, taking the crown off and looking at it. He inhaled deeply, and told himself to focus.

His parents watched in awe as their previously volatile son was able to slowly levitate the crown in his magic, and set in it in its rightful place place atop the King's head. Sombra's ears twitched and he smiled.

Crossfire's magic sputtered and he winced, but Sombra shook his head.

"You've had a rough day, it is still a little jittery. Take it day by day, you will notice it settle down once you're comfortable with it."

Crossfire nodded, took a deep breath and felt his magic ease back, still there, but....happy?

"See?" Sombra said "you know you can control it. I bet your head hurts less?"

A nod from the young pony. When he seen his mother in tears, his anger faded a little and he ran over to see what was wrong.

"I'm.." she wiped her eyes, sharing a look with her husbands "I’m just so proud of you my child. I'm sorry we were so blind to what you needed. Things will be different now, wont they?" she looked at her husband, who nodded. He stepped forward to approach Sombra, and to the Alicorn's surprise, bowed deeply.

"We cannot thank you enough, King Sombra," the stallion straightened up, looking from his son then back to the monarch "Because of you, our son finally had the faith in himself we were unable to give him. We hope we can match up to what you have done."

"You must understand this vital thing;" Sombra said strictly "this isn’t a one-shot recovery. It may be shaky at first, magic suppressed for so long may have further growth spurts of a sort, you just need to find a way to exercise it. And there may be accidents, but I ask you trust both myself and your son."

The parents nodded. Crossfire wished Sombra could teach him...

Crossfire's father seen the way his son cast a wishful glance at the King, then stared at the floor, ears drooped. He obviously thought that was the end of Sombra's help, now things had been patched up.

"Your Majesty, I know it isn't my place to ask this of you," The father took a deep breath as he stood before the Alicorn "in one afternoon you have set my son free from his chains. We had hoped to stay here awhile longer. The foreman already agreed to help us, in exchange for our assistance with sorting supplies. We will be staying for a short while-"

"You want to ask if I will tutor young master Crossfire?" Sombra angled his head to better meet the other pony’s eyes, and smiled.

"You seem to have extensive knowledge about magic, your highness!" the father blurted "I know you must be busy-"

"It is no trouble." Sombra said firmly. He'd decided to help this kid from the moment he'd seen the same fear in this pony’s mannerisms as had once filled his. "if it's agreeable with your son, we can begin tomorrow!"

Crossfire's eyes lit up. The other kids in the room looked amazed, and a little envious. He'd get to study with a King.

"What do you say?" his mother asked. Crossfire nodded dumbly, and Sombra smiled at his impromptu student.

All three bowed now, which Sombra returned, his wings curving out, their soft feathery appearance as impressive as the crystal.

As he lowered them, he seen another feather go drifting by, softly patterned with a red gradient.

"Seem to be shedding the things a lot lately. Perhaps it is overdue I preen them, I seem to have neglected caring for them lately." he mused.

He chuckled as he seen Crossfire's little sister pounce on the feather, scooping it up in her little hoofs.

"It's so soft!" she crooned, rubbing it on her cheek "can I keep it?" she asked Sombra.

The King chuckled "of course, now would seem to be an advantageous time for me to shed, little miss!"

This made her giggle "yeah! My collections pretty small, but I’m sure I’ll get more soon when we find a new home!"

This sobered Sombra up, and he looked around for the leader of the caravan.

"Fast Trek, your majesty," she introduced herself at his request "what did you wish to know?"

"Where are you heading FOR?" The Alicorn asked. She sighed.

"We don’t know, Your Majesty. Our home has become inhospitable, falling prey to dangerous storms. We've been forced to leave the rest of our clan behind to try and find some place new. We're running low on food-"

"-and it is getting critical." Sombra finished.

"Yes, how did you-?"

Sombra sat back down, frowning lightly "this mirrors the Umbrum's tale from time past. They too were driven from their home by natures unrelenting chill and scarcity of food. They ran to the Crystal Empire, hoping for aid. What followed was a regrettable incident, the power of the Crystal Heart turned out to be, shall we say, toxic to them. And so they were sealed away until I was able to erase that darkness from their minds. Your story is near identical and it concerns me greatly."

"We are a hard working race, your Highness!" another mare added "we'd happily work for a home, if any city can hold us! But we have so far had no luck. The Empire is so far away."

Sombra frowned a moment, then an idea occurred to him.

"I know it is still bare bones, but you are welcome to stay here as long as you need. I can help you with supplies. When I left the Crystal Empire to come here, the Prince and Princess offered to help supply food and materials. There is also the Gargoyle/Centaur empire. The reason this project stands is thanks to their generosity and donations. I'll explain your story to them, and ask they take extra supplies on, on my behalf. It'll save you struggling to makes ends meet for a period of time."

The whole crowd was staring at him in slack jawed surprise. Fast Trek had to slap herself mentally to make herself speak. Was he really saying-?

"Your Highness, you mean we can..?"

"It will take time, but I’m sure we can help support your ponies. Once the forest is cleared of Timberwolves, I will ensure a detachment of guards can escort you back and forth with urgent necessities."

Their story reminded him so strongly of the one that’d befallen his Umbrum's, he did not wish it to occur twice. He knew he'd face situations like this once his Umbrum's came to the new city, and that as a big Empire, others might come to them for help. He was determined to do things right, be a good ruler not just to the native Umbrum's, but to anypony that had suffered hardships like theirs.

"It must seem presumptuous of me, I know. But I will not see a repeat of my Umbrum's history happen again to all of YOU. If you lodge here, you can have access to supplies, and once we clear a route through that forest we will be able to reach the rest of you! It shortens the distance, eases the strain. If you wish to travel to the Empire, you could travel on the supplies train next time it goes out. It isn't much, but I would like to offer this place as a home-"

He was cut off as the ponies began cheering and hugging each other, some were crying in relief. Fast Trek felt like hugging him, as Crossfire had, but decided it would look improper. Not that he wasn’t good looking, mind...

"We can stay?" the little filly asked, clutching her new feather. Sombra smiled.

"Yes, as long as you need. I'll speak with Girder about it, but we are building new accommodations at a rapid pace to account for the influx of workers from all over Equestria, so it is not unexpected to have a new group join."

More cheering. Fast Trek was crying, which startled Sombra, and he looked around for a handkerchief or napkin-

"It's alright your majesty. I'm just so relieved. We didn’t know what we'd face when we hit the wastes, and when the Timberwolves gave chase we thought we were done for. Then you defended us and sent us here. We didn’t want to be a burden on your home, but your kind offer....we very gratefully accept! Are you sure you can handle so many...?"

"I will speak with Girder, put in overtime to help build the accommodation if the need arises. But yes, the whole LOT of your clan can come here. I only ask you give it a bit of time before bringing more, I will need assistance in tallying numbers to build the housing. Girder will go bananas, but-"

"I could go a whole fruit salad at you your majesty, if I were crazy!" Girder had come by looking for the King, and had hovered at the back of the crowd, listening in.

"He's right, and my earlier offer goes hoof in hoof. We can help you folks with food and necessities if you can lend a few strong hooves when the supplies come in!"

"I apologise if I’m treading on your hooves Girder-” Sombra began, but the foreman just chuckled.

"This is your empire, King Sombra. I mean sure, technically I still get to boss you around as a worker, but as the reigning power for this area, decisions of this nature are yours by right, Just clear your crazy schemes with me, and I’m sure we can work together to set things in motion!"

Sombra smiled, and bowed his head gratefully "thank you, sincerely."

"Ah, don't mention it your majesty. These Umbrum's will have the best guide going forward at the rate you're learning. Think of it as training for the future, with a whole empire full of ponies!"

Sombra flushed, but realised Girder was right. It felt good to be getting his decisions right this time, it brought with it an immense feeling of relief.

More cheers, and Fast Trek thanked the King profusely. The kids gathered around, more confident now, asking to pet the wings. Sombra had an idea, and soon he was seeing how many his strong wings could support. The little foals and fillies giggled merrily as they clung on.

Eventually he had to leave them, but since they were staying, he promised he'd see them soon!

"And I’ll see you tomorrow morning!" he told Crossfire, who nodded and stood proudly to thank the King.

As Sombra walked away, Girder beside him, he heard one of the mares in the crowd remark to her friend;

"I gotta say, the Royal Plots looking pretty good!"

"Mmm-hmm~ Nice strong body.."

--Wait, doesn’t plot mean..-- Sombra's brain slowly did the maths. He self consciously swished his tail as best he could to cover it. The mares seen this and realised the King had heard them, and couldn’t help a chuckle at how shameless they both were!

Girder watched as the penny dropped as they stepped outside, and Sombra went red in the face.

"You've got mares admiring your rear, your majesty. I dare say that’s the oddest thing you’ve heard today?"

"That’s putting it mildly!" Sombra spluttered, glaring at Girder as he cracked up laughing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That night, Sombra wrote a long detailed letter to Celestia, telling her of the situation, and could she forward the letters included to the two other empires? He wrote about the feather filly, and Crossfire..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A student?" Celestia smiled as she read the letter "my my, that young Crossfire has had quite the stroke of luck, for Sombra knows how it feels to be overloaded by his magic, and how big a difference a chance can make!"

Luna nodded. Then she seen the bit about the feather filly, and had an idea-!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning...

"Shoo!" Crossfire hissed at the younger ponies following him. They giggled, running away, but never very far. He was on his way to meet the King for his first lesson, but the other kids had tagged along.

"At least stay hidden.." the older pony groaned.

Up ahead he spotted his newly acquired teacher. The King was staring into the distance, watching the sunlight reflecting off the shiny new buildings. Crossfire cleared his throat, and the King turned, spotting him and smiling gently. Crossfire hastily bowed as the King closed the distance between them. Sombra gave him a reassuring nod.

"Ready to start?" he said, and his student nodded. Sombra's ears twitched as other sounds reached them "and you brought an audience?"

"Huh? OH-!" Crossfire whipped round, seeing the group of small kids all staring wide eyed in curiosity at them "shoo, you guys!"

"Aww.." One of the little ones pouted "we wanna see the magic too!"

Sombra smiled "Master Crossfire needs plenty of quiet to concentrate, learning something new takes time, do you see what I mean?"

The kids nodded, and promised they’d keep super quiet, but could they stay?

"That is entirely up to Master Crossfire." Sombra looked at the young pony.

Crossfire half felt like telling them to scram, he wanted Sombra to focus on helping HIM alone. But he seen his sister's downcast expression, and sighed.

"Okay, but one peep and I’ll chase you all!" he pretended to charge them and they giggled, scattering, before settling themselves atop a stack of materials far enough back they wouldn’t be breathing down the two ponies necks.

Crossfire's jaw dropped as he sensed the level of Sombra's magic, he hadn’t noticed it amongst all the chaos of yesterday.

"Whoa, that is awesome." he whistled. Sombra smiled.

"With practise, I do not doubt yours will be too. Now, let us begin."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crossfire later said this of Sombra; He was a firm teacher, strict but not unkind. When Crossfire got upset and shouted at him, the King didn’t react. He calmly waited for the young pony to finish getting angry then started again. He tested numerous basic exercises with him. Some Crossfire struggled with, but the more he tried, the more fluid it felt. His magic hadn’t had this much use in a long time!

As the hours ticked by, Crossfire forgot about his audience. He was so focused on following the routine Sombra was showing him, which involved firing at old cans lined up on a wall to test his aim and accuracy.

--C'mon, I wanna do something cool to impress him!-- Crossfire focused his magic at the last can, imagining the beam being super narrow.

Sombra's eyebrows raised as he seen the beam of magic punch a hole in the can, its edges surprisingly neat.

"Impressive," Crossfire glowed at the praise as the King smiled "I wouldn’t suggest doing that too often just yet, but you see what you CAN do?"

"Yeah!" Crossfire wiped a hoof over his forehead. He heard cheering, and seen not only the kids atop the high stack of planks, but his parents too.

"Mom, Dad?" he asked.

"Sorry, we just came by to see if you were hungry, the lunch bell just rang."

"Ah, I hadn't noticed!" Crossfire blinked, and his stomach gurgled.

Sombra laughed "indeed. You should see to your appetite. That will be all for today, just keep practising until tomorrow, alright?"

Crossfire nodded, he already felt better about his magic then he ever had. He could learn to be an awesome magic user if he could just get his magic to obey his rules.

He seen the Umbrum pony trot away towards the construction area, no doubt off to work.

"Are we really going to stay here?" he asked his mother.

She nodded "we'll be taking trips with the King's guards to bring supplies to the others, but yes, we'll be staying for a long time. Your lessons with his Majesty will continue for some time yet. It's so good to see you using it, without fear..."

Author's Note:

Sorry for the delay. I had some trouble. :fluttershysad: