• Published 2nd Nov 2015
  • 4,084 Views, 10,170 Comments

Lateral Movement - Alzrius



Having been granted rulership over the city of Vanhoover, and confessed their feelings for each other, Lex Legis and Sonata Dusk have started a new life together. But the challenges of rulership, and a relationship, are more than they bargained for.

  • ...
36
 10,170
 4,084

PreviousChapters Next
126 - You Reap What You Sow

Fencer ran face-first into a wall, unable to keep from crying out as the stump of her horn painfully collided with the rough wood of the crate.

The impact was hard enough to knock her onto her backside, causing her to scramble onto all fours in a panic and fling herself blindly to the right, worried that she’d hit the stacked crates hard enough that they were about to fall on her. That had been a useful tactic when she’d wanted to escape into the maze, but now, unable to see what was happening around her, it was a deathtrap waiting to be tripped. It would have been far better, she knew, to slowly feel her way through the pitch-black corridors instead of running flat-out, but that would have minimized what little hope for escaping she had left.

A scattered memory flitted across her panic-filled mind. When she was a little filly, she’d once had a nightmare that she was being chased by a monster. She hadn’t seen it, but she’d somehow known that it was a horrible thing and that if it got her, that would be the end. So she’d run as fast as her little legs could carry her, only to find that for some reason they weren’t working right, her muscles growing weak and uncoordinated, letting the unknown thing behind her rapidly draw closer. She’d woken up before it had gotten her though, screaming loudly enough to bring her dad running. He’d spent a long time reassuring her that it was just a dream, that it couldn’t hurt her, and had stayed right there with her until she’d fallen back asleep.

As Fencer picked herself up, not having hit another wall in her desperate rightward lunge, and started down the connecting passage, she wished with all of her heart that this was all just another nightmare, that any second now she’d wake up and her dad would be there and everything would be okay. But she knew it wouldn’t happen, the same way it hadn’t happened any of the other thousands times she’d wished for that since everything had fallen apart. All she could do was what she’d been doing, which was try to survive.

This isn’t fair! She knew that “fair” didn’t matter here, that it had fled along with harmony and justice and everything else that was good and decent when Vanhoover had flooded, but she couldn’t help but think it anyway. I didn’t do anything wrong! I just wanted to live! To protect myself from everything here! Why is this happening to me?!

Her breath was coming in heavy pants now, each one tinged with a sob, and her legs were burning from continual use. How long had it been since she had started running? It couldn’t have been more than a few minutes since Lex had announced that she would be made to pay, causing her to turn and flee as rapidly as she could, but it felt like it had been hours. Running off into the darkness of the warehouse completely blind had been a foolish thing to do, she knew, but there had been no other choice. With no horn of her own she couldn’t conjure a light, and she’d foolishly let Cozy retrieve her necklace-lamp thing, thinking that it wouldn’t matter once she got Lex’s horn.

She had no idea where she was or where she going, aware that she was completely lost, but surely she’d find the exit eventually! She had to keep moving, had to find the way out before Lex found her…and she was sure he was coming after her. Just like the monster in her childhood nightmare, she could practically feel him behind her, waiting for her to get tired so he could swoop down on her and take whatever horrible revenge he was planning. And it wasn’t just him she had to worry about; she was certain that she’d heard a clattering a few minutes ago that could only be from those undead ponies. She had no idea what Lex would do to her, but she knew exactly what would happen to her if those things got her; the same thing they’d done to her dad. She didn’t know which frightened her more.

She hit another wall, and this time rolled to the left, thankfully not hitting another crate as she did. A second later, she heard a large crash from the space she just vacated, feeling the impact from where it had smashed against the ground, and whimpered in fear and frustration. Shaking, she climbed to her hooves, knowing that she had to get away before the crash brought everyone to her location. Standing up, she started to move…and then stopped dead.

Green eyes with purple flames from their outer corners were staring at her from the darkness.

“There you are,” came the familiar, hate-filled voice.

A scream of pure terror ripped itself from Fencer’s throat, and she immediately turned and ran in the opposite direction. Her hoof came down on a large piece of broken wood, and she howled as she felt it pierce her, but she didn’t stop, lifting her injured leg and trying to move forward with the other three. A moment later she collided with the main piece of the fallen crate, still largely intact despite the fall, and scrambled to get over it, splinters lodging in her belly as she dragged herself across the rough surface.

Any semblance of her old self, the mask of calm she’d forced herself to wear, was completely gone now. The same panic that she’d derided in others, that she knew could only lead to death, had completely taken her over. As she ran as best she could on her three uninjured legs, her only thought was to get away from the monster that was closing in on her, to try and buy herself whatever time she could by putting just a little more distance between herself and those horrible eyes. She hit wall after wall, turning corners and running down corridors completely at random. She didn’t dare look behind her, sure that she’d see Lex closing in on her, knowing that she just had to keep going forw-

Something suddenly struck the side of her face, sending her sprawling.

“Where’s the little pony going in such a hurry?” rasped an unknown male voice.

“She brought us a tasty treat before. Does she not have anythin’ now?” Another voice, female this time.

“That body you tossed us was delicious, but it was barely an appetizer,” whined a third voice, also female but higher-pitched.

Although she’d never heard them speak before, their conversation was enough to clue Fencer in as to who, or rather what, was speaking. It’s the ones from before! The undead things I fed that carcass to! She had left them behind while they were busy feeding, but this time she had nothing to distract them with. Worse, she knew from experience that these things could see in the dark somehow, whereas she could only roughly approximate where their voices were coming from. She had to get away!

But as she tried to climb to her hooves, she found that her body wouldn’t move.

NO! Hysterical, Fencer tried to climb to her hooves, to thrash or kick or roll or do anything! But her body refused to obey her commands, her limbs locked rigidly into place. Nonono oh sweet Celestia please no! She couldn’t even scream in her current state, her attempts coming out as nothing more than a slightly-heavier breath.

Hooffalls marked the things moving closer to her, the only clue to their approach in the pitch blackness. “Nothing to say? Well, if you’re not gonna be all hospitable, then you don’t mind if we help ourselves, right?” asked the male voice with gleeful sarcasm.

“It’d be rude for us not to have a bite or two,” giggled the female, “what with her goin’ to the trouble to lay it out for us like this.”

“I call dibs on her flank!” announced the higher-pitched voice. “Then I-, hey! Her horn’s gone!”

“Who cares?” replied the male voice. “The horn’s almost all bone with no meat on it. That’s why I want first crack,” the sound of a hoof striking the ground hard emphasized that word, “at her ribs. Warm meat on the outside with soft marrow on the inside makes them hoof-licking good.”

The other female snickered. “In that case, I get BOTH of her eyes!”

“You always get the eyes!”

“We’d like some candy for once too, you know!”

“Too bad! You two had your chances when you called dibs first, so her eyes are mine!”

By now the sound of their hooves had moved all around Fencer, and their voices sounded like they were standing right over her. Some part of her knew that they had to be doing this on purpose, deliberately trying to frighten her before they killed her out of some sick sense of entertainment. But it was working, with tears of utter terror falling down her face as she vainly struggled to move. Turbo! Piggy! Sonata! Somepony! Anypony! PLEASE! I need help!

The thought brought an immediate rush of anguish, however, as she knew that no one would come to rescue her. Her friends and family were all dead or missing, she had walked away from her old group after Lex took them in, and she’d turned on him and the rest of his ponies as soon as she could. There was no one left to help her now, and because of that she was not only going to die, but die in agony. She had shut everyone out, and now she was utterly alone when she needed someone the most.

At least, when it was over, she’d see her dad again…

The thought of him brought another memory to mind, this one of just after she’d gotten her cutie mark. She’d been designing an adorable little picket fence around the garden in their backyard, and her dad had come out to look at it. He had been nothing but smiles for days, obviously thrilled that she had continued in the family tradition, but he’d shaken his head when he saw what she’d made. “Sweetheart,” he’d said as he put a hoof around her, “you forgot the most important part.”

The gentle rebuke had left her flummoxed. She’d dug the holes, and had arranged the rails, posts, and pickets all perfectly, with everything set at the proper distances and firmly affixed to everything else. When she protested that she hadn’t forgotten anything, her dad had laughed good-naturedly. “You forgot to add a gate.”

He’d been right, of course, but she had been too embarrassed to admit it, childishly insisting that she didn’t need one. Her father’s smile had shrunk at that, and he’d bent down to look her right in the eye. “Sweetheart, every fence needs a gate,” he’d explained. “You might need to keep some people out, maybe even a lot of people, but there’s always some that deserve to be let in. That’s the way it is for fences, and for life.”

I’m so sorry, Dad. I forgot what you taught me.

“Now then,” came the lower-pitched female, dragging her out of her sudden memory. From the sound of her, she was a few inches in front of her face. “Let’s dig in before she starts thrashin’. I wanna savor this.” Fencer tried to prepare herself for what was about to happen, tried to shut it out or push it away or anything at all but she was so scared so scared don’t wanna die not like this don’t wanna-

“GET AWAY FROM HER!”

Fencer heard the three voices gasp, even as a harsher voice chanted something in an unfamiliar language. A second later a trio of red beams lanced out, illuminating the area to let her see the rotted forms of her attackers as Lex’s attack slammed into them. The undead things howled in pain, thrashing as they smoked and began to blacken. The beams ended a second later, plunging the area back into darkness, but the sound of bodies hitting the floor and the horrible smell that filled her nostrils a moment later told her what had happened.

A shudder of thankfulness worked its way down her spine, but a moment later the green-and-purple eyes that she’d been running from moved into her field of view, looking down on her with malice. For a moment she wondered if she’d avoided a horrible death only to experience an even worse one instead. But a moment later she felt something curl around each of her ankles, and she instinctively jerked her legs. “Wha-?” she started, then stopped as she realized she could move again.

“Get up,” ordered Lex coldly.

Shaking, Fencer moved to obey, almost tripping as she realized that what he’d placed around her legs were cuffs, from the sound of them with links of chain between them. There was just enough slack for her to talk small steps, but not enough to let her gallop, hobbling her. But the fact that he was telling her to move at all was enough to give her hope. “Y-you’re not going to kill me?” she hiccupped.

Lex turned away from her, his eyes looking elsewhere as he started to move through the darkness. A moment later Fencer felt a weight form around her neck, a collar this time, with another length of chain dangling off of it. A moment later it was enveloped in the roiling purple of Lex’s telekinesis as he pulled her after him, making her stumble as he led her along. “I don’t kill ponies,” came the terse response. “Not even criminals like you.”

It was the least reassuring response she could have asked for, but at that moment it was music to her ears.

Author's Note:

Fencer is made to face the result of her choices, almost losing her life in the process.

What will happen to her now that Lex has her?

PreviousChapters Next