• Published 1st Nov 2015
  • 768 Views, 17 Comments

The tyrant of fear and hate - Askre



The Doctor and his friends arrive by accident at the edge of the Crystal Empire while it's under the tyrannical rule of King Sombra. Naturally they get captured and must now somehow escape.

  • ...
1
 17
 768

Chapter 10. The King and the Princesses

Chapter 10

King Sombra walked out on the balcony that gave him a view over the city. With emotionless eyes he regarded his enslaved subjects going about their dreary lives. A line of chained slaves heading for the mines and other hard physical labor marched below under the watchful eyes of his guards.

The dark unicorn glanced towards the streets, seeing the occasional unchained pony walking on them. The king didn’t mind; it gave them the illusion that at least they had escaped the fate of the slaves in the line, that whatever menial jobs they already had actually kept them safe. But slaves died all the time in the mines or the fields and needed to be replaced, thus the ‘free’ ponies were just a reserve for when that happened.

Yet his mind wasn’t so much on the marching slaves or any of his subjects out and about. He was still thinking about the Doctor and how he had almost managed to escape. The king hated to admit it, but that had been surprising and on top of that the spy was still on the loose. His guards had yet to report in that she had been recaptured.

Sombra narrowed his eyes, he had been careless. He should have realized that keeping the Doctor just chained up in the dungeon wouldn’t be enough to contain him. There were other forms of restrains just as effective and the king realized that he should have used them in the first place.

Just to be on the safe side the Dark King had doubled checked the traps he had laid to the Crystal Heart. They were all still up and waited whoever that tried his or her luck at finding it. Now the only thing that could potentially defeat him were the two princesses. That was another thing Sombra hated to admit, but with them defeating Discord it was probably only a question of time before they would turn their attention to him.

After all, they were friends with Princess Amore and these Equestrians have this ridiculous habit of saving their friends or avenge them, he thought and looked down when hearing some shouting.

The guards were dragging a young colt towards the line of slaves. Other soldiers were keeping the crying mother away as she struggled to break through and save her son from the cruel fate of the mines. The boy was screaming in fear and tried to wiggle loose but was held firmly by the guards.

King Sombra just watched, figuring that a slave had died and this was the replacement. He did raise an eyebrow though when the mother looked up towards the castle, the dark unicorn half expected her to stare at him hatefully, curse him out and the usual shouting when his laws were being enforced.

“Please, King Sombra, have mercy!” she shouted much to his surprise. Oh he had heard pleas of mercy before but it still always intrigued him when one of his slaves worked up the nerve to do it.

“Please,” she continued and stopped struggling against the soldiers. “He’s all I have left, please spare him from the mines.”

This might be entertaining. Sombra smirked and engulfed himself in shadow to transport down to the ground. He reappeared right between the guards dragging the colt and the soldiers keeping the mother at bay.

“Guards, hold for a moment,” he ordered, they had just been about to put chains on the boy who had stopped screaming but whimpered in fear when seeing the dark king arrive.

“You ask for mercy.” Sombra then turned his attention to the mother and walked closer. The soldiers made way for him and the mare shrunk down, bowing her head in fear. The king started to circle her, glaring down at her with contempt.

“Is it not mercy that he has now been given a purpose in life? That he is old enough to work for his king?” he growled, inwardly he was greatly enjoying the fear coming from her.

“Can he not serve you in some other way?” the mare dared herself to whisper. Sombra had to admit being mildly impressed by her courage.

Sombra glanced at the cyan colt who shivered and kept his head lowered. The boy looked to be in his mid-teens and did look rather frail compared to most of the slaves. The king figured he would not last for very long in the mines at all. He looked back at the mare, she didn’t look that old either, was he mistaken that this was the mother? Or perhaps she had born the colt when she was young.

“And what would you suggest he do to serve his king?” Sombra asked, he put a hoof under her muzzle and forced her to look up at him. “Jobs are very limited for one such as him.”

“I… I… don’t know,” the purple pony whimpered wanting to look away from the red intent eyes of her tyrant but couldn’t.

“You do not know yet plea for him anyway,” the king snorted and turned around to the guards. “Take him away.”

“NO! The… the castle… maybe he can work in the castle,” the mare shouted just as the guards started to chain the crying colt.

“Guards.” Sombra gave them a signal to halt again, he glanced back at the mother with a frown. “It is a rare privilege to work in the castle. Why would he be worthy of such opportunity?”

“He can learn… and he likes to tell stories… maybe he could entertain you…” the mare whispered though she was really grasping at straws at this point.

The king raised an eyebrow and then walked over to the colt who cringed and made sure to keep staring at the ground, not daring to look at the dark unicorn. Sombra regarded him critically.

“Alright slave, your mother has asked I show you mercy and that you could entertain me at the castle. So let us see if you match her expectations, tell me a story,” he ordered.

The colt blinked and worked up enough courage to look confused at the king. Then he eyed his mother who just watched him with worry. Slowly the boy dared himself to sit up, wondering how he could possibly entertain Sombra.

“I… uh… once there was a Princess.” The boy stopped and nervously looked at the king who showed no expression, just nodded for him to continue.

“She was the Crystal Princess and loved all her subjects and kept them safe. However, an evil force kept trying to take her city and take her subjects. She stayed strong and kept the evil force at bay, until one day she was betrayed. The evil force took over, banishing her and took over her city. She promised to return one day and free her subjects and drive it back out. The end.” The colt held his breath as he finished the story, fearing the reaction it would cause.

Sombra started laughing much to the surprise of everyone, especially the boy. The king took a second to stop and compose himself, before glancing with a devious grin at the mare who was unsure what to make of this.

“You were right, he does like to tell stories doesn’t he,” Sombra said. He turned his attention back to the colt who gulped and hoped this meant he was not going to the mines.

“Although the story was rather short, lacked any characterization and had some factual errors,” he said and smirked. “For one I didn’t banish her.”

“I killed her!” The smirk changed into a devilish grin, causing the colt to wince and look back down.

Hm, perhaps it would be a waste of resources to put this child in the mines, Sombra frowned and his eyes drifted back to the mother.

“Very well, let it not be said that your king is without mercy. He will work in the castle,” he declared and waved the guards away.

“However.” The king smirked, freezing the signs of relief on both the colt and the mother. “Now my guards must find another to take your place.”

King Sombra looked between mother and son. The mare was first to realize what he meant and gasped in shock. The soldiers suddenly surrounded her and the guards picked up the chains and started to walk over to the purple crystal pony. Then it finally hit the teen what was going to happen.

“What? No! MOTHER!” He would have rushed over but a heavy iron clad hoof was placed on his chest.

“Your mother has sacrificed herself so that you may live,” the king told him in a mocking tone. Then he looked towards some of the guards nearby. “Guards take him to the slaves in the castle have them prepare for his new duties”

The guards responded immediately, grabbed the colt and pulled him away. He tried struggling at first and kept looking towards his mother but they were soon gone. Sombra glanced back at the purple mare who was now chained up and being driven towards the line. With a cruel chuckle the king teleported back to the balcony.

Well this was mildly entertaining, he thought and started to head back inside, but a voice from above stopped him in his tracks.

“SOMBRA!”

The king growled and turned around to face the intrusion to his empire. Flying towards the balcony but halting before coming too close and hovered in the air on her powerful white wings was one half of the co-rulers of Equestria. Her white body and multicolored ethereal mane were a rather stark contrast to the otherwise dark environment she now found herself in.

Princess Celestia,” Sombra scowled, this was an unusually bold move by the sun princess.

“I am here to deliver you a final warning, Sombra,” Celestia told him sternly. “Release your hold on the Crystal Empire, step down and free the crystal ponies.”

“And if I don’t?” the king asked though the dark unicorn was pretty sure he knew the answer.

“You will face the full might of Equestria,” Celestia declared, careful not to reveal too much.

“And that full might would be those Elements of Harmony you used to defeat Discord?” Sombra inquired in a mock bored tone as he examined one hoofguard, he grinned when noticing that the princess’s stern stance had faltered slightly.

“Do not be so surprised that I know, Celestia, I caught your spy.” The king looked at her with a sinister smile.

Oh no, Apple Core. Celestia somehow managed to maintain her composure but deep down she now worried for her agent. The Princess had been wondering what had happened to her as Apple Core had not reported in yet.

King Sombra smiled, the only thing that was missing was dragging the crystal impaled carcass of the spy from the dungeon and to the balcony. That couldn’t be done though, but the dark pony had another idea he could do.

“And I also have this,” he said and summoned up what looked at first like a dark crystal statue of a pony. But at closer inspection it was almost see through and in it was a pony, a brown one with an hour glass cutie mark. The eyes still shone with defiance.

“Doctor.” Princess Celestia gasped and her expression went from stern to worried for a moment before reassuming the stern look as she glared at the king.

“Seems I keep catching your spies Celestia, you must be desperate to be sending time ponies now,” Sombra said with a chuckle.

He thinks I sent the Doctor as well, the princess noted, now she was very concerned. She knew the Doctor seldom travelled alone.

“Where are the others?” Celestia demanded to know.

“Safe, for now,” Sombra responded and shrugged slightly.

No one is safe with you, tyrant, the princess thought and glanced towards the crystal encased pony. Stay strong Doctor, my sister and I will free you and your friends.

“I’ll not repeat myself, you have heard my warning.” She decided this was enough, Sombra was trying to play his usual mind games on her but the princess was not going to give into them.

“So I have,” the king snorted and watched as Celestia flew a bit higher before she disappeared in a yellowish flash.

King Sombra frowned, he had hoped for a little more reaction from her. He glanced at the Doctor and powered up his horn to make it disappear. With a heavy frown he turned and walked back inside the castle. Time was running out, Celestia would be back, but this time with the elements.

It seems I do not have time for my usual games, he snorted and started to walk in the direction of the guest chambers.


Princess Luna averted her eyes when a blinding flash indicated her sister’s return to the Castle of the Two Sister. The midnight blue alicorn immediately rose from her throne and trotted over to Celestia who looked wearily towards her.

“Well my sister, I take it the fiend did not see reason,” Luna said before muttering to herself. “Much as I predicted, but would you listen? Noo.”

“No Luna you were right,” Celestia sighed and shook her head sadly.

“What is wrong? Shouldn’t we be preparing then to wield the elements to use against him and free the Crystal Empire?” the moon princess asked and seemed almost ready to head right to the armory to dress up in her armor.

“It’s not that simple,” the white alicorn told her and started to walk to the side entrance that would lead to the library. He sister followed, arching her brow but waited for the older princess to continue.

“Sombra knows of the elements,” Celestia said and walked over to a chair in the library, she pushed it back and a hidden lever began opening the entrance to a secret side room.

Luna cringed when hearing that, their plan had been to take the Dark King by surprise. He was well known for being rather prepared against attacks and if he knew, it meant he would be ready for it, that would mean a much more prolonged battle than they would want. Of course they were still unsure if the elements would even work, which is why they had sent an agent first to spy on the Crystal Empire.

“I suppose he heard how we defeated Discord,” the younger princess mused as they both found seats in the room to sit in.

“That and he captured Apple Core,” Celestia revealed with another sad sigh. Luna narrowed her eyes. “I do not even know if she’s still alive, he didn’t show her to me, but she hasn’t reported in yet and it is way past the appointed time she was to make a report.”

“Then I say we gather the elements and go confront the fiend, I am certain they will work,” Luna proposed with a determined tone.

“There is more,” her sister continued. The moon princess was starting to wonder if all they were going to do right now was Celestia giving the news bit by bit. “He captured the Doctor and his three friends, he thinks we sent them.”

“You do not think he has access to the Doctor’s machine do you?” Luna asked now visibly worried.

“I’m not sure, he was too busy gloating over having caught my ‘spies’ as he put it, if he did we would probably never know it until too late,” the sun princess told her and looked sadder now.

“Then perhaps we have no time to lose, sister, we must go the Crystal Empire and unleash the Elements of Harmony on the tyrant,” Luna said, the determination returning to her.

Celestia was actually inclined to agree with her, but it kept bothering her that Sombra was now aware of what they had planned. They already knew that the dark pony was far from as arrogant as Discord who had believed himself unbeatable. There was no telling what waited them when they arrived.

It also didn’t help that he had captured the Doctor, she and Luna had only met him a few times in this time period, but they had already been rather impressed by what he and his time machine could do. Sombra might just have the advantage right now.

“I don’t think we can do a direct frontal assault, Sombra will not just be waiting for us to blast him like Discord did,” Celestia pointed out. “The Doctor is encased in crystal; I wonder if his friends share the same fate.”

“I could try a dream walk and see if I can find them,” Luna suggested though hesitantly, it would mean they needed to wait until the night and hope they were asleep, which naturally meant more delays.

The sun princess rubbed her muzzle in thought as she considered her sister’s suggestion. Although Sombra had powerful mind controlling abilities, he could not walk in dreams like Luna so it would be safe for the most part. There was still a risk that he was around and would wake up the pony or interfere in some other way.

“You haven’t been able to spot Apple Core during the nights?” Celestia wondered.

“I never went out of my way to look for her since she is on a critical mission,” Luna admitted and grumbled a bit afterwards. “Now I wish I had, if I can’t locate them, I’ll see if I can spot her.”

“This new ability you’ve developed is certainly starting to come in handy, Luna,” her sister smiled gently and nodded in approval of the idea.

“I still need practice, not sure yet how our subjects are taking to it that I can walk in their dreams,” Luna sighed shaking her head.

“I’m sure they will learn to love it,” Celestia said reassuringly.

“Tia, you think the elements will work on Sombra?” the moon princess asked quietly, she had been pretty certain that the elements were all they needed, but as this discussion went on longer, she was beginning to wonder.

“I am certain that if we can get a good clean shoot at him, they will defeat him, the tricky part will be getting that good clean shot. This is why we can’t just barge in there, we’ll have to show guile, Sombra is either ready for us or preparing for us,” her sister explained.

“He’s probably doubling that effort since you went ahead and told him we were coming,” Luna pointed out, that actually caused Celestia to hoof her face.

“Yes… you’re right, me going there and pretty much telling him that we were coming was not my best plan. I don’t know why I thought that would work, I suppose I had some dumb hope he might actually see reason.” She removed the hoof from her face.

“I can’t help it, Luna. I try seeing the good in everypony, even someone like Sombra. I mean he is the last of his own pony race, does he really wish to go down in history as such a horrible representation of them?” Celestia wondered and looked down to the floor.

“To be fair the dark ponies never had a favorable reputation, they were allied with Tambelon after all,” Luna said and shuddered a little when recalling one of the evilest kingdom in history and its demonic king.

“Then perhaps I hoped Sombra would be the exception,” her sister muttered sadly.

End chapter 10

Author's Note:

The young teenage colt appears in the second part of the Crystal Empire episode shouting "Behold, the Crystal Princess." At least he sounded like a teenager to me. Figured might as well use him, the MLP wiki calls him Bright Smiles. I then found a purple crystal pony shown to be washing the Crystal Castle in "Games ponies play". She was far enough away it was difficult to tell her age so I had her be the mother, only because I could.

I am aware that the IDW comics have said Sombra is an umbrum or a Shadow Pony. I've given homage to this idea by calling the history of the dark ponies, the Tome of Umbrum. But the comics are not canon to this story, only what appears on the show itself. I tend to do this when writing fan fiction so people don't have to go to multiple sources to get who is what and everything. So I'm sticking with my own headcanon about Sombra's origins.

Don't get me wrong, I loved what the comics did with him, but ultimately I bow to the fact that I can't expect everyone reading this story having read the comics.