• Published 1st Nov 2015
  • 7,381 Views, 1,095 Comments

Path of Kindness and Blood - CommanderX5



Fluttershy was a very kind pureblood vampony who suffered a terrible tragedy. Will she find a place to call home in Ponyville? Will it be filled with friendship and acceptance, or will she face fear and hostility?

  • ...
19
 1,095
 7,381

PreviousChapters Next
Friends - Foalsitting

Path of Kindness and Blood

-

Chapter 3

Friends
-
Part 4 - Foalsitting

“Are you sure it wouldn’t be too much trouble?” Fluttershy asked as she stood next to her bed, staring at Bright Eyes and Twisty Vision. “I understand turning my basement into a secret underground room. But wouldn’t it be easier to hide the main entrance under a carpet or behind some furniture?” She sighed and pointed at the bed. “Rather than making a secret passage through the ground floor by relocating walls? Seems unnecessary to me.”

Twisty Vision shook his head. “Nopony will ever expect a secret passage on the second floor under the bed. That’s why we’re making it here.”

“And if somepony looks under the bed?” Fluttershy asked.

“One illusion, and then nopony will find it by accident.” Bright Eyes raised her forehoof and head proudly as she continued, “Besides, every respected pureblood has their own secret room with personal coffins to sleep in. This is tradition.”

Vision chuckled and added with a joking tone, “Furthermore, secret passages under beds are very popular nowadays. I bet most of leaders and villains have one.”

“Alright, I trust you,” Fluttershy said before looking towards the stairs. “I’d better leave so I won’t get in the way of your work. Once again, thank you for everything you’re doing for me.”

“You're very welcome,” Ditzy’s parents said in unison before Twisty Vision asked, “Forgive my curiosity, but what are you going to do while we work on the secret passage?”

Fluttershy put on a saddlebag. “Foalsitting.”

“Foalsit... Whom?” Bright Eyes asked.

“Apparently the Apple family is planning to make a very big delivery. Applejack wanted to take care of Apple Bloom, but Granny insisted that Applejack needs to learn about the trade routes she will be using in the future.”

Fluttershy giggled before adding, “Pinkie of course, helpful as she always is, brought me to the farm and pointed me out as the best candidate for a foalsitter.”

“And they agreed?” Vision asked.

“They had their doubts at first, but after Pinkie Pie Pinkie Promised that I can be trusted with this job, they hired me without hesitation.” She rolled her eyes. “Yes, she created a promise based on her own name, and everypony seems to be treating it as a huge deal for some reason.”

“You’re the cutest thing ever,” Apple Bloom said as she hugged the young bunny, who growled and looked at Fluttershy with a ‘you’ll pay for this’ glare.

Fluttershy smiled warmly. “It was Dash’s idea to bring Angel here. She assured me you would love to play with him since Winona’s away with Applejack.”

“O’course Ah do,” Apple Bloom said, before releasing the bunny. Though his peace of mind didn’t last long as he was placed on the filly’s back. “Hold tight.” She galloped towards a nearby haystack before trying to jump over it. The little filly in her haste forgot about the puddle of mud on the other side as she and her passenger fell right into it.

Not wasting a moment, Fluttershy approached and knelt by the young filly, spreading her wing. “Hop on.”

Apple Bloom nodded and climbed onto the spread wing while Angel climbed onto the thestral’s back, leaving mud on her clear fur and feathers. “It seems somepony needs a bath.”

“Awww… but Ah don’ want a bath.”

“Even with bubbles?” Fluttershy asked.

“Ah changed mah mind.”

Fluttershy walked towards home to get the bath ready while ignoring the unpleasant sun. Her way was quickly blocked by the excited fashionista.

“There you are, Fluttershy, I was looking everywhere for you!”

The taller mare looked to the side and pointed at a small arch that served as the entrance to the farm, the thin frame decorated thickly with vines and apples. “But we’re near the entrance, surely you didn’t have to search over an entire farm.”

The fashionista approached and looked at her, the size difference smaller than before as the top of her head reached Fluttershy’s muzzle. “I alongside my parents went to your cottage, only to find out that you were foalsitting at Sweet Apple Acres from the local construction pony… Vision was his name, I think.”

“Twisty Vision,” Fluttershy corrected before looking around, not finding any new pony in sight. “I take it you came here alone, or am I wrong?”

“I pointed out that it was unnecessary for all of us to come, so I volunteered,” she said, raising her head and foreleg proudly. “Though I must say, running such distances is so uncouth for a lady like me.”

Fluttershy raised her eyebrow as she thought, You mean walking? Your breathing and heartbeat seems slow to me. She felt Apple Bloom’s hooves stepping through her feathers before grabbing the sides of her neck. “Anyway, why have you been searching for me?” Her smile vanished as she asked with concern, “Is Opal missing again?”

“Opal?” Apple Bloom asked.

Rarity forced a chuckle. “Please. It has been only seven months since you saved my cat. You should have more faith in me.”

Fluttershy looked at the clear sky thoughtfully. “I guess your parents have an animal-related problem.” She lowered her head and continued, “I’m always willing to help with those.”

Rarity shook her head before raising it proudly. She spoke with a noble-like eloquence, “My parents would like to invite you today to our… their home for a dinner and outside activities. They wish to meet and thank you personally for saving Opal.”

“They do?” Fluttershy asked as she looked around in panic, caught off guard. The filly holding her neck yelped. “S-sorry,” she said hastily.

Rarity continued, “They live in a house on the outskirts of Ponyville. It is located nearby a windmill near a lake. Will you accept their invitation?”

“I can’t,” Fluttershy responded before lowering her head as she grabbed the filly between edges of her wings. She moved her ahead of herself and said, “I need to foalsit Apple Bloom.” Mud dropping from the filly’s hooves captured Rarity’s attention, who took a step back.

Apple Bloom asked, “Can Ah swim in the lake?”

“I suppose you can,” Rarity said thoughtfully. “My younger sister was allowed to do it one year ago under supervision. She is around your age.” She pointed at the farm filly and continued with a firm tone, “Furthermore, a bath in the lake is something you both certainly need.“

Apple Bloom cheered before looking back at Fluttershy. “Can Ah swim in the lake? Pretty please?”

Fluttershy was about to refuse, but a pleading stare from the filly changed her mind.

***

Rarity walked through the town with the taller pegasus by her side. She could see the farm filly and bunny with similar red bows on their heads riding Fluttershy’s back.

The Apple family have a surprisingly high amount of hats and ribbons to spare. Maybe I could add some multicolored gems to each one to make them stand out. Fluttershy’s bunny would look really well in one, but with small improvements here and there, he would look simply fabulous, Rarity thought as Angel was giving the farm filly an angered glare. I get the impression that Fluttershy’s pet is not interested in fashion.

She smiled awkwardly as several ponies gave them confused glances. “Fluttershy,” she called.

“Yes?”

Rarity pointed at the cloud several meters above their heads, following them with every step. “I couldn’t help but notice… that Rainbow Dash would often turn a wonderful sunny day into cloudy one… whenever you are out and about,” Rarity said as she grimaced at her unpleasant memory. Several pairs of eyes looked at her in confusion as ponies whispered; “bad luck,” “is she cursed?” or “somepony is in bad mood today.” Above her head followed a dark cloud as if ready to burst into a stream of water and ruin her fashionable hat.

“Oh…” Fluttershy responded as her ears flattened. “I don’t like being under the open sun for too long, it’s very uncomfortable for me,” Fluttershy responded before resuming her walk. “And my friend is very protective of me.”

Rarity followed, quickly catching up to her shy friend. “Wouldn’t it get her into trouble as weather manager?”

Fluttershy sighed. “I tried to tell her that it’s unnecessary, that my umbrella is enough, but she doesn’t listen.” She continued with a sorrowful tone, “Dash is very loyal to me. She’s ready to get in trouble to provide me with even a bit of comfort… though I must admit, the weather ponies are very understanding and forgiving.”

“A sun umbrella? Oh no no no, that will never do,” Rarity said. “I will provide you with a sizeable hat. It will be both fashionable and practical… right after I make an elegant bird house.” She frowned. “Those in your cottage are far too small, surely your birds deserve better than that.”

“There’s no need for that.”

“There is! Also, you seem very tense,” Rarity pointed out. “You muscles are just begging for a relaxing visit to the spa…”

***

“...And after that we can go to the market square,” Rarity finished.

Fluttershy walked in silence while Apple Bloom poked her in the neck and asked, “Does Rarity always like talkin’ so much? Ah thought she wasn’t goin’ tah stop.” Angel chuckled at the filly’s comment.

Rarity frowned. “What… I… how rude.” She looked to the side, clearly offended. “I simply wanted to invite my friend for various activities I came up with. I simply cannot let her hide in her cottage like some sort of hermit. The world is about more than just taking care of animals.”

“If ya say so, though after mah sister once asked ya to fix a hole in a tablecloth, she complained how ya just talked and talked,” Apple Bloom pointed out.

Rarity stopped for a moment and raised her foreleg defensively. “I just had many visions to turn that old piece of material into an elegant art, but your sister was too blind and turned them all down. She was constantly repeating, and I quote, ‘Please stop flappin’ yer jaw and fix that dang hole already.’ No manners at all.” Angel laughed, pointing his paw at the fashionista, who responded with an aggressive stare.

“She did say please,” Apple Bloom pointed out.

Fluttershy spoke, “I appreciate your offer, Rarity, but my cottage and my dear critters are all I need.”

“Nonsense,” Rarity responded. “Just because your name is Fluttershy, that does not mean you have to be so shy. There are many wonders in life you are missing out on, and I am going to show them to you.” She pointed ahead at the windmill, or rather at the three unicorns waiting for them. “We have arrived at our destination.”

Apple Bloom jumped from Fluttershy’s back and walked beside her; Angel took her example.

“Do my eyes deceive me, or has the heroine of all house pets finally arrived? Pleasure meeting you, Miss Fluttershy,” said the white unicorn with a brown mustache and three hoofballs for his cutie mark as he took off his straw hat and held it against his chest.

A pink unicorn mare approached and took a closer look at Fluttershy, who retreated her head and curled slightly. Her mane was a violet beehive and her cutie mark was two full cookies and one half-eaten one. “She doesn’t seem like an adventurer to me. No scars, no bandages on the foreleg or head, and certainly not enough mud.” She looked at her daughter and asked, “Are you sure she’s the one?”

“Mother,” Rarity said with an angered voice, “you should be more polite. She is our guest after all.” She approached and nodded, pointing at the pegasus, “And yes, Fluttershy did venture into a dangerous forest with the company of a bear.”

“A bear? So she’s like a beast tamer?” Rarity's mother asked before looking away from her daughter, now staring at Fluttershy. “Did you train your bear for combat? Do ya have other animals under your command; like dogs, wolves, falcons, eagles?”

“T-train for combat… I would never…” Fluttershy looked to the side and yelped sadly. The very idea of training and using animals that way making her feel as if she had a battlefield in her stomach. “I just asked for help… I didn’t command them… right?” she added, doubt clear in her voice.

Apple Bloom stood on her hind legs and stroked Fluttershy’s wing.

“And who's that?” Rarity’s mother asked as she lowered herself to the farm filly.

“Her name is Apple Bloom, and she is Applejack’s younger sister. Fluttershy was foalsitting her at the apple farm and agreed to bring her here,” Rarity explained.

The tall unicorn mare grabbed the filly gently and said, “You're just one cute little apple. Is your sister a hard worker, or an athlete by any chance?”

“Eeyup, and she’s the best,” Apple Bloom said with pride before pointing at the unicorn’s head. “Is that thin’ alive?”

Rarity’s mother laughed. “You mean my mane. No, it’s not, but one time a bird mistook it for a nest.”

“Cool,” Apple Bloom said before looking down at Rarity. “Yer mom’s fun.”

The stallion approached and glanced at the filly. “I’m glad your sister is friends with our daughter. Maybe she can help her get some muscles into those thin legs of hers.”

Rarity blushed as her cheeks turned into balloons, and her nose released white smoke. Upon hearing loud laughter coming from her parents, the filly and a bunny, she stomped. “First, I am not a friend with that farm mare with no sense of fashion in a single bone in her hulking body, and second of all, stop embarrassing me!”

With the group busy, Fluttershy stood up and took a moment to calm her nerves, her attention now focused on the approaching white filly.

“Hello, my name is Sweetie Belle. Was your adventure in that forest exciting?”

Fluttershy was about to say ‘no’, but after a moment of thinking, she couldn’t deny that she’d experienced some desirable thrills. “S-sort off… a little.”

“Was it scary?”

Fluttershy nodded, still remembering her first encounter with Zecora, especially when her cover was blown. “Definitely.”

“Did you really take a bear with you? Was he fighting any monsters?”

Fluttershy tapped her forehooves together. “Fighting, oh no… just scared some wolves made of wood…” she lied.

“Why are you so nervous? Shouldn’t heroes be brave?” Sweetie Belle asked, her facial expression filled with a mix between confusion and curiosity.

“I’m no hero…” Fluttershy responded, searching for proper words to follow with. She pointed at her cutie mark and said, “I’m just good with animals, that’s my special talent, but being around ponies makes me nervous.”

“I don’t get it...” Sweetie Belle said, pointing at the disguised thestral. “You’re nervous around ponies like you and me, but not around monsters and beasts? It doesn’t make sense.”

Fluttershy rubbed back of her neck. “I suppose it doesn’t… I wish I could explain it better, but I can’t.”

“You're nice, but a bit weird,” Sweetie Belle said before smiling warmly. “But I like you. Next time you go into a scary forest, can I tag along, please?”

Fluttershy shook her head and raised her foreleg in a lecturing gesture. “Oh no, I can’t. The Everfree Forest isn’t a place for fillies, and your parents would be very angry if I took you there.”

“Awww…” Sweetie Belle lowered her head in disappointment before noticing a bunny sitting behind Fluttershy’s long legs. She pointed at him and asked, “Who’s that?”

Fluttershy knelt and retreated her foreleg, exposing the little creature. “His name is Angel Bunny. Angel Bunny, meet Sweetie Belle.”

Angel crossed his forelegs and looked to the side, when suddenly he was grabbed in a tiny hug as the filly started stroking the back of his head. “He’s just adooorable!”

“He sure is,” Apple Bloom said as she was released from the unicorn’s hold. “The name’s Apple Bloom, nice too meet ya.”

“Sweetie Belle,” the white filly responded while releasing Angel, who looked at both fillies with a deadly glare. His paws started pulsating with dark magic. Upon feeling Fluttershy’s big forehoof on his shoulder and seeing her disapproving glare, he groaned and turned around. His steel-melting magic vanishing into nothingness.

“Wanna play or swim?” Apple Bloom asked while pointing her still dirty hoof at the lake.

“Sure,” Sweetie responded before looking up at her parents. “Can we go and play in the water? Please?”

“Of course you can,” the mare stated with relaxed tone. She continued with excitement, “I’ll get you a beach ball and inner tube!”

Sweetie Belle smiled warmly. “Thanks, also, if Fluttershy goes to the Everfree Forest to play with monsters, can I join too?”

“Sure thing dear, but after lunch, and you need to come back before dinner,” said the stallion.

“Yay!” Sweetie Belle shouted before jumping in place; Apple Bloom followed her example while Fluttershy looked at Rarity’s father in shock before facehoofing.

“Now come here, Miss Fluttershy,” Rarity’s father said as he levitated the disguised thestral over. “No need to stay on the sidelines when yer the guest of honor.” His wife quickly returned with a ball and an inner tube that lacked air. “You’re the first friend our daughter’s got… can you believe it? We’re eager to get to know you better.”

Rarity approached and said with a hint of hostility, “You both can start by introducing yourself and not levitating your guest against her will.” She massaged her forehead. “Sometimes I wonder if I wasn’t adopted or something.”

“Oh, right,” the stallion said before releasing Fluttershy, who landed on her flank. “My name’s Hondo Flanks. I know, weird name, but I like the sound of it. A very energetic name, if you ask me. I sell hoofmade sports-related devices and participate in the games whenever I can.”

“My name is Cookie Crumbles, and yes, I’m making cookies, cookies with surprises in them,” the unicorn mare said before picking up a few cookies from a pocket in her clothing and pushed them into Fluttershy’s mouth. “Tasty?” She received an unrecognizable response from the guest of honor as crumbs started falling from her mouth.

“Sweetheart, you know that one shouldn't swim after eating. There will be time for cookies later,” Hondo Flanks said as he grabbed Fluttershy by her shoulder and pointed at the lake. “How about we join the fillies and have some fun in the lake? It will help you get that mud off your wings, back and neck.”

Fluttershy gulped down the cookies and chuckled awkwardly, wondering if Rarity’s parents weren’t related to Pinkie Pie by any chance. She looked up at the cloud-filled sky, thankful to Rainbow Dash for keeping the sun at bay. She was about to refuse, but a silent voice in her mind advised otherwise. “W-why not?”

“That’s the spirit,” Hondo Flanks said before pushing Fluttershy towards the lake who yelped in surprise, before jumping himself. “Bombs away!”

***

Rarity observed the lake as the water splashed about from two locations. Feeling pity towards Fluttershy for meeting the disaster that was her parents. Cookie Crumbles was still on the shore, filling a ball and an inner tube with air. Why do they have to embarrass me in front of my friend? Can’t they see that they are making a laughing-stock out of themselves? Her ear perked upward as she heard a noise of something crashing behind the windmill. When she looked towards the source, the sight of smoke and dust caught her attention.

“Mother, Father!” she shouted at her parents as her mother was carefully climbing down into the lake. She called them again, gaining their attention. The moment Hondo Flanks was close enough, she pointed at smoke in distance, only now noticing a grey pegasus flying in their direction.

Rarity stepped to the side as the pegasus hard-landed on the ground, pulling herself to a full stop a meter away from the lake. Once the dust settled, she waved and said enthusiastically, “My job is done.”

“Job?” Rarity said in confusion while examining the newcomer. She quickly noticed crossed eyes, bruises covering the grey fur, dust and small wood fragments between feathers, and goggles with damaged glass lying across grey mare’s neck. What in Celestia’s name happened to her? she thought.

“Oh hello, you must be Rarity. My name’s Ditzy, nice to meet you.” She grabbed and shook Rarity’s forehoof, along with the rest of her. “Your parents talked about you. They said that you worked in fashion, and go too far with manners and etiq-etique…”

“Etiquette,” Rarity corrected as she regained her balance and shook her head. Her eyes were no longer spinning.

“Yeah, that one. And that you never lift.”

Rarity shot her dad an annoyed glance, who swam closer and anchored his forelegs against the dry ground. “Good work, Ditzy, or Derpy, whatever you prefer. Did you clear the area for your parents?”

“I sure did,” Ditzy responded with a prideful smile.

“What work?” Rarity asked with a stomp. “Could somepony please be kind enough to enlighten me?”

Hondo looked at her daughter and nodded. “Tool storage was in terrible shape, so we wanted a new one, a bigger and better one.” He pointed at the grey pegasus whose wings flapped joyfully at his next words. “We hired Ditzy to demolish the old one and clear the area, and her parents to construct us a new one. We got a discount on demolishing as we’re Ditzy’s first customers. Now that’s what I call luck.”

“Demolishing?” Fluttershy asked as she swam closer. “I thought you wanted to be a mailmare?”

Ditzy nodded. “I did. But my parents are having trouble trying to convince the postal service in Ponyville that they can repair any collateral damage that I would cause. But for now, I got a part-time job as a demolition mare for hire.” She opened her armored saddlebag and showed a badge with her picture on it. Fluttershy could see closed eyes and wide smile with shining teeth. On Ditzy’s head was a grey helmet and on her neck was a bronze bow-tie.

“You want something gone, leveled to the ground, Ditzy the Demolisher is ready for a destruction round!” she said before smiling awkwardly. “I need to work on this one.” She tapped her chin and murmured. “The ‘Ditzy the Demolisher’ was my mom’s idea, while dad thought of something like; ‘Before Construction comes Destruction’… both sound nice to me.”

Hondo cleared his throat, catching Ditzy and Rarity’s attention. “I like your second catchphrase better, anyway.” He gestured for the pegasus to jump into the water. “Since your work is done, what would you say to joining us for some fun? The water’s great.”

Ditzy smiled and raised her foreleg, but retreated it before she could make a full step. Her head lowered and her ears flattened against her head. “I can’t.”

“Why not,” the stallion asked. “Are you afraid of the water?”

Ditzy shook her head. “That’s not it… It’s just that... you have such a lovely lake. I wouldn’t want to break it by accident.”

“Break it?” Rarity raised her foreleg defensively and asked, “How can you break a lake?”

Ditzy looked her in the eyes and said with a serious tone, “I don't know, but I'm not willing to find out."

“What… but…” Rarity massaged her forehead, feeling a growing headache. She frowned and said aloud, “I swear. The only normal ponies here are me and Fluttershy.”

The disguised thestral chuckled, her legs moving to keep her head above the water.

***

“Visit us more often, Fluttershy. It was a pleasure,” Cookie Crumbles said as she waved her farewell.

“And you too, Ditzy. You did a great job,” Hondo Flanks said, following his wife’s example.

“It was fun, Apple Bloom!” Sweetie Belle shouted. “Can I visit you on your farm next time around?”

The farm filly nodded. “If mah brother and Granny agree, sure. Ah’ll tell ya at school.” Upon seeing that Sweetie Belle ran closer, she stopped for a short talk.

Angel watched the scene from sidelines, feeling sick from the friendly atmosphere and embarrassment the fillies had put him through. He ran over to Fluttershy and jumped onto her back before propping himself against her mane. Paws under his head as he stared at the cloud-filled sky.

Fluttershy didn’t wave back, but simply walked away. Rarity trotted to her side and slowed down to her speed before saying, “I am really sorry for my parents. They can be really difficult at times… is everything alright?” Upon not receiving any response, she sped up and sat in front of Fluttershy, quickly noticing tears flowing down her eyes, barely hidden behind her mane. “Are you... crying?”

Fluttershy looked at her friend with watered eyes and spoke, “Your parents and sister are priceless gems, Rarity… Please… no matter how different they are from you… treasure them.” She wiped tears from her eyes and turned to the farm filly, who was still talking with Sweetie Belle. “Let’s hurry, Bloom, we need to return to the farm before your family does.”

“So, what’s the status of Fluttershy, anything new?” Bright Eyes asked as she looked down at her daughter in darkened room. Her eyes shining.

Twisty Vision lit up a few candles before sitting next to his wife. He took a quick glance at the coffin in the middle of the room, and next up at the secret entrance, admiring his work.

Ditzy looked back at her parents with a serious stare, at least as serious as one would take it by looking in her crossed eyes. “She’s getting better. The anxiety she feels whenever meeting new ponies or being in a large crowd is still present, though slightly weakened.”

Vision looked at his wife and said, “Fears caused by trauma take a long time to heal. It was to be expected.”

Bright Eyes looked up at the secret entrance. “Are you sure that this room is soundproof? Fluttershy is currently in her cottage, and the hearing of a pureblood isn’t to be underestimated.”

“I guarantee. No noise will enter or leave this room,” Vision stated.

“Good,” Bright Eyes said before relaxing her tensed stare. “While she is afraid to interact with ponies, she’s doing well when dealing with animals. She even befriended many creatures from the Everfree Forest. It’s a good sign, showing strength necessary for every pureblood.”

“Speaking of friends, besides Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie, she befriended Rarity recently,” Ditzy pointed out.

"Rarity? You mean the daughter of our recent customers?” Vision asked, receiving a firm nod.

“Yes, her,” Ditzy confirmed. “It was easy to figure out that she doesn’t get along with her parents, but there’s more to that.”

“Meaning?” Bright Eyes said.

“Mom, you asked me to keep an eye on those who want to befriend Fluttershy, to make sure they don’t have any cruel intentions. I visited Rarity a few times this week to learn more about her.” She paused to take a breath. “On the outside, she is a self-centered mare, whose wish to be like Canterlot nobility conflicts with her desire to share the fruits of her work with everypony. A pony whose social life focuses mostly on work, maintaining appearances and reputation.”

She took another breath and lowered her head while raising forehoof up to her heart. “But deep inside, she wants to have a friend, a vulnerable pony she can help, help give direction to. A calm pony who will understand her and is willing to listen.” She chuckled. “And maybe use her as a model for her work.”

Bright Eyes crossed her forelegs. “Let me guess. This pony is Fluttershy?”

Ditzy nodded. “Exactly. I believe that Rarity may be the best pony who can help Fluttershy with her current issues, and the other way around.”

“Perfect,” Vision said. Satisfied smile on his face. ”And the Apple family? Did they try to befriend Fluttershy ever since she helped them with the infestations?”

Ditzy shook her head. “After paying their debt, they see her more as a kind neighbour. Since their relationship is more like ‘a favour for favour’ exchange, I didn’t bother to get to know them better. Apple Bloom on the other hoof seems to get along with Fluttershy, but she’s as innocent as a filly can be.”

Vision and Eyes smiled. The stallion was the first to speak, “It seems everything is going smoothly. How about we get some ice cream after the work to celebrate? I’ll even throw in a bit of my blood as icing.”

“I’m not sure it’s time to celebrate just yet,” the mare said as she pointed at her daughter, who tapped her forehooves together while sadness was clearly visible on her face. “Is there something you would like to tell us?”

Ditzy nodded; her ears dropped as she spoke in sorrowful tone. “Fluttershy already met Dash’s parents and Apple Bloom’s family, and now she interacted with Rarity’s family. I believe something in her changed after this event, because she made up a harsh decision.”

“Harsh?” Bright Eyes said, now looking at her daughter with growing curiosity. “Please, continue.”

“Fluttershy had two friends in her previous life, and ever since she started over as a filly, she was still writing letters to her old friends as Flutterbat. It has been many years since she sent those letters.”

Bright Eyes sighed. “This is the curse of having a long life. We need to burn bridges behind us before we can make new ones.” She gave a quick kiss to her husband’s neck. With growing concern, she lowered her head and looked Ditzy in the eyes. “And what was her decision?”

“To fake her funeral.”

Both parents took a step back, staring at their daughter in shock. Bright Eyes smiled and said, “If this is her wish, we should do our best to assist.” She raised to her full height.

“Mom.”

“Y-yes?”

“Can I please stop spying on everypony? I know that it is important to keep Fluttershy safe and check on her well being, but I don’t feel good about it,” Ditzy said as she lowered her head and rubbed her foreleg. “I know I have a gift… that I’m a good judge of character, but I feel bad abusing it like that.”

Vision looked at his thestral wife with a questioning stare, who nodded weakly before saying to her daughter, “Yes, you can stop.”

Ditzy’s wings straightened upward as she raised her head. “R-really?”

Bright Eyes nodded. “I believe it is time for us to withdraw from the scene. Mistress Fluttershy has a new home, sources of bits and blood, and she regained her power. Her depression is gone, she has suppressed her trauma, and she is slowly opening to others.”

She placed each forehoof on her husband and daughter. “In a year or two, she will meet other purebloods who will acknowledge Ponyville as her territory, and she will start leading a clan of her own.”

“But… will she be safe? I don’t like spying on others, but I don’t want my friends to be in danger even more,” Ditzy said, suddenly regretting her previous wish.

“I believe we have done more than enough. We will step aside… at least until Mistress Fluttershy will be ready to create her own clan and invite us to be part of it. For now, it is time we let Fluttershy forge her own path.” She embraced Ditzy, holding her against her own chest while adding her wings into the hug. “Don’t be sad. I am sure that other purebloods will help her more than we ever could.”

Author's Note:

List of editors:
Alticron
Word Worthy

PreviousChapters Next