• Published 1st Nov 2015
  • 7,373 Views, 1,095 Comments

Path of Kindness and Blood - CommanderX5



Fluttershy was a very kind pureblood vampony who suffered a terrible tragedy. Will she find a place to call home in Ponyville? Will it be filled with friendship and acceptance, or will she face fear and hostility?

  • ...
19
 1,095
 7,373

PreviousChapters Next
Friends - The Evil Enchantress

Path of Kindness and Blood

-

Chapter 3

Friends
-
Part 3 - The Evil Enchantress

The tallest of the three wolves howled at the hut in the distance. Various masks were visible outside, supported against the wall. “A house? Is somepony living here of all places?” Fluttershy said to herself before looking at her newest companions. Upon hearing a weak growl of confirmation, she rubbed the closest wolf under his chin. “Good puppy.”

With the help of her fangs, she created a small wound on her leg and summoned three small balls of blood, levitating each towards one of the timberwolves. “I have more than enough magic to spare, and I’m happy to share.”

Three timberwolves gulped their gift, and the green aura around their bodies became slightly brighter. They released the blood from their mouths, allowing it to return to the friendly thestral, before nuzzling her. Fluttershy giggled and gently pushed their muzzles away. “You're very welcome. Just don’t attack innocent little animals any longer, you can’t extract much magic from them anyway. If you’re hungry, I’m more than willing to share.”

Fluttershy waved towards the timberwolves in a farewell gesture, as they disappeared behind the trees. I must admit, I’m starting to like this place. She looked up at the numerous leaves which blocked the unpleasant sun. I can be myself without fear of judgmental ponies or hunters. I can even walk during the day without an umbrella or a cape, no longer weak and vulnerable, and the animals here aren’t so scary when you get to know them. I hope I can explore this place better in the future.

Her attention focused back on the hut. While I’m well adapted to this kind of environment, it is still a dangerous place for a regular pony. I wonder who would be brave enough to live here. Another thestral, perhaps?

Her thoughts were interrupted by her bats as they returned from their scouting, their high pitched screeches easily understandable. “A zebra, here? That’s far away from their homeland.” Fluttershy rubbed her chin. From what I remember, Zebras are adapted to living in deserts and swamps, thanks to their magic which allows them to resist various poisons and brew enchantment potions. No wonder one would want to set up a hut in the Everfree Forest.

Fluttershy’s ears shrunk and her wings turned back into the featherly ones as she transformed back into her pegasus form. If Opal ran from the timberwolves and hid here, I need to get her back to Rarity.

The creepy masks did little to calm her nerves as anxiety returned with full force. Her senses detected several traps set up around the cottage, alongside with protective amulets and runes which interfered with her inner magic. Each step became harder to take as she felt a sudden weakness overtaking her, to the point where her own saddlebag started weighing her down. To make matters worse, an unpleasant smell seemed to assault her overly sensitive nose. No wonder even the animals of the Everfree Forest avoid this place, I myself can hardly approach it. But I can’t give up now, I need to get Opal back home.

After finally reaching the door, she raised her trembling foreleg and knocked. “Ex-excuse me,” she said hesitantly. Upon not receiving any response, she knocked again with more strength. Her bear and the bats stood a few meters behind her, while the falcon and eagle that were scouting from the sky landed on top of the hut.

“Speak quickly, uninvited guest, tell me why you've disturbed my rest! Who are you and why are you here? There is no pony that lives near! I'd like your name and to know why it is that you are passing by!”

“M-my n-name is F-F-Fluttershy,” she said, struggling with each word.

The door slowly opened and a zebra’s head emerged. Large golden hoop earrings decorated her ears, similar to her neck decoration which seemed either like several golden rings or a spring. The zebra looked up at the towering bear with surprise and said, “I've not seen one like this before, I wish that you would tell me more. Would you inform me, is this creature a friend to thee?”

Fluttershy nodded and pointed at her friend. “Yes, he is… His name is H-Harry, and he’s a bear.” Note to myself, name every animal so they won’t feel jealous of Harry.

“You walk these woods all but alone, you are indeed far from home! These woods are unsafe even to me, yet you have braved the Everfree!” the zebra said, receiving a hesitant nod in return. “I go by Zecora, and as you can see, there is no-one else here, it's just you and me. Why do you wander these woods? Those who enter this forest seldom come to any good.”

Fluttershy broke eye contact with Zecora the moment she received a suspicious glare. “I… I came here looking for a white cat.” She rubbed the ground with her forehoof nervously. “A unicorn named Rarity asked me to help find her pet, and I tracked her cat to the Everfree Forest.” She looked back at Zecora and lied, “My friendly birds and bats helped me follow the trail to this hut.”

Zecora gestured with her forehoof for Fluttershy to enter.

The disguised thestral struggled to walk in as she resisted the hut safety measures, feeling as if her bones had turned into jelly. She forgot about her exhaustion when her attention focused on a cauldron in the middle of the room, and then towards the large variety of ingredients and potions lying on the many shelves. “Did you make those on your own?” she asked, amazed.

The zebra nodded. “This forest is full of herbs and spells, and I must know how to use them well. I go out each morning and pick what herbs I need stocked, I need them for the brews I concoct.” She pointed at the cauldron and raised her head pridefully. “I've been brewing up potions since I was still small, when it comes to alchemy I know it all. ‘Twas Mother who taught me, and hers before I. Our line learns it naturally, all we need do is try.”

Fluttershy examined the ingredients curiously, when an aggressive meow got her attention. She walked towards the source of the noise, quickly noticing a clawed paw emerging from under the bed.

“I expected many beasts to come, but this one the most stubborn of all. I was alerted to it by a screeching call,” Zecora pointed out.

Fluttershy knelt and looked at the scared cat, whose tail was puffy and with the face of an enraged predator. “Hello, Opal, my name is Fluttershy. Rarity asked me to get you back home.” The cat hissed in response.

“There’s no need to be afraid. Please, trust me.” She stretched her foreleg towards the cat and exposed her hoof for her to sniff, but only received several small slashes in return. The disguised thestral sighed. This will take a while.

***

“Good kitty,” Fluttershy said as she stroke the cat who was finally nuzzling her foreleg. Her entire body, from her legs to her face, was covered in scratches after her long struggle to tame the small beast. She gritted her teeth each time the cat pressed her head against a wound. It seems that whatever protection Zecora placed here, it weakens my regeneration capabilities and natural resistance to pain. Just my luck.

“First you brave the Everfree, now you endure a cat's claws. Please allow me to heal you, bring your pain to a pause.”

Fluttershy gulped. If there was one thing every single thestral knew, it was that healing magic and their regeneration don’t mix.

“It’s not as bad as it looks,” Fluttershy said with an awkward smile as the zebra raised her eyebrow. “I’ll tend to these scratches once I return Opal to Rarity. She must be really worried by now.” She half bowed. “Thank you for your hospitality, and sorry for the intrusion.”

Zecora smiled. “You're welcome, oh Dark One, and let me just say, the pleasure is mine for as long as you stay.”

The disguised thestral shook her head and walked towards the exit, limping on her weakened and scratched legs, only for her foreleg to stop in mid air. Her pupils shrank at the realization. “D-dark one? W-whatever do you mean?” She turned towards the zebra as her ears drooped.

“I am no simple fool, I've a very sharp mind, I can see what you're hiding, what, do you think me blind?” Zecora said and frowned.

Fluttershy took a step back and laughed awkwardly. “I… I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You cannot fool me, though you're welcome to try, your acting is weak, and for you I'm too sly,” Zecora said with a firm stomp. Fluttershy flinched and lost her balance, now lying on the floor on her side.

“Y-you know about thestrals?” Fluttershy asked with a surge of fear as she pointed at Zecora. She looked at the door for a moment and thought, It’s okay, you’re not in danger. Once I run away from this cottage, my strength should return to me, and I have my animal friends outside that can help me. Nothing to be afraid of. She struggled to sit as the cat stood next to her, both staring at the hut owner. The angered glare she received from her caused Fluttershy to hide her face behind her wings.

"Your kind I've met often over the course of my life, some traders, some thieves, many only caused strife."

“Oh…” Fluttershy retreated her wings and lowered her head apologetically. “I’m sorry…”

Zecora sighed. She approached and spoke calmly, “You seem different to all other Dark Ones I've seen, you're friendly, polite, whereas they were just mean.” She helped Fluttershy stand and continued, “A dark one being polite is something new to me. My cottage will always be open to thee.”

“T-thank you,” Fluttershy said quietly before pointing at the upper shelf. “Since you know who I am, would you mind selling me that summoning powder? I could really use some, but I don’t have the materials or knowledge to make it on my own.”

Zecora rubbed her chin before smirking. She smiled and said, “I've no use for bits, they are useless to me, but there is a favor I could use from thee.”

“Favour?” Fluttershy asked curiously.

Zecora nodded. She picked up and unrolled some sort of paper, and pointed at what seemed to be an amateur map of the Everfree Forest. It had all the markings of something made in a hurry and on intuition alone, without the help of proper equipment. “There are blue flowers growing in a grove by a spring, I'll give you the powder if these flowers you bring.”

After a moment of thinking, Fluttershy responded, “Once I escort Opal back to Rarity, I will pick up those flowers and bring them here. Thank you,” she said with determination before lowering herself to the floor. “Hop on, Opal, we’re going home.”

The moment she went outside and the door closed behind her, her sharpened hearing picked up laughter coming from inside the hut. She shrugged, and with Zecora’s map still fresh in her memory, went back to Ponyville.

“Okay, so here’s what you need to do,” Fluttershy said to Opal as they approached the edge of the Everfree Forest. Beyond the trees, the green grass basking in the sunlight looked very uninviting. So much for a sun-free morning. Let’s get this over with.

She sighed and continued, “You will wait with me in my cottage until Rarity comes to meet me there, and please, at least try to be friendly with the other animals.”

The cat responded with an annoyed meow.

“Surely we wouldn’t want another accident like today, am I right?” Fluttershy asked, receiving a much softer purr. “Also, be nicer to Rarity. Sure, she’s new when it comes to taking care of a pet, but she still cares about you. Give her time.”

The strong sunlight assaulted her eyes, and she covered her face with a wing. Her bear, bats, and birds stopped right behind her.

“Fluttershy!”

“Rarity?” the disguised thestral said hesitantly as she rubbed her eyes. Her vision slowly sharpened. “Rarity!” she shouted in panic.

“Opal!” The young mare ran over and grabbed the cat with her magic, levitating it right into her embrace. “I missed you sooo much. Are you hurt? Did any of those brutes harm you? Were you scared? Are you hungry?”

The annoyed cat growled and gritted her teeth, enduring the tight hug while resisting the urge to claw her way out of the situation.

Fluttershy spread her wings, using that moment of distraction to fly towards her cottage, but didn't make it far, as the harsh sun forced her back to the ground.

“Fluttershy, wait!” Rarity shouted, galloping over to Fluttershy with her cat levitating by her side. “I cannot believe you went searching for Opal in that terrifying forest for me. Words cannot describe how grateful I am!”

She stopped in front of the taller mare and took a few quick breaths, now staring up at her. “I cannot thank you enough for your bravery, I…” she froze.

“Is something wrong?” Fluttershy asked with an awkward smile, drops of sweat starting to fall down her forehead.

The fashionista rubbed her eyes before standing on her hind legs. “You are way taller than ponies in the town described... but how?”

Both mares stared at each other in awkward silence, one confused and the other lacking words. Fluttershy looked at the ground and rubbed her foreleg while Rarity rubbed the top of her head. Finally, the fashionista spoke, “From what I heard, you were the size of Pinkie Pie when she threw you a welcome party. In fact, you are supposed to be about my age! How could you grow so much in only a year and a half?”

Fluttershy blushed as she lowered her head and said with a squeaky voice, “Growth spurt.”

Rarity shook her head. “You do not need to lie to me. Whatever caused it must have happened in that dreadful place.” She looked at the large bear before turning back to Fluttershy. “When you went to search for my dearest Opal alongside your large friend, something in there probably made you grow.”

“W-what…?”

Rarity paced back and forth with the annoyed cat glaring at her impatiently. “Or maybe you were cursed by that suspicious creature that live in the Everfree Forest. I heard that it comes to Ponyville rarely, scarring ponies left and right.”

“You mean Zecora?” Fluttershy asked.

“I knew it!” Rarity said as she slammed her forehooves together. She pointed at Fluttershy accusingly, who took a step back. “So you met her, and she has put a curse on you, turning you into a grown up pony!”

“What… no!” Fluttershy said, only to watch as the fashionista stood up on her rear hooves and placed a forehoof on her shoulder.

Rarity looked at her in pity. “I am really sorry. If I had cared for Opal better, this would have never happened. Can you ever forgive me?”

Fluttershy massaged her forehead. This cannot be happening… She took a deep breath and looked down at the fashionista, whose eyes begged for forgiveness.

I wish I knew a memory erasing spell, it would be so useful right now. With a shake of her head, she said, “Rarity, you have nothing to apologize for.”

“Oh, but I do! And I swear, I will repay you.” She pressed her forehoof against her chest and continued, “If you need anything, just ask. My boutique will always be open to you.”

She levitated her cat and said, “Once again, thank you for rescuing my dearest pet. Now, please excuse me, but I have to inform Pinkie Pie about what happened. She knows everypony, she will warn them about that Zecora.”

Fluttershy stared at the galloping mare, her mouth open, but not a single word escaped it. Drops of sweat covered her body. Zecora won’t be happy about this… she thought to herself before turning to Everfree Forest. I may as well go and get her those blue flowers and apologize. Maybe she will forgive me.

“Fluttershy! I’m back,” Rainbow Dash said as she entered the cottage after another day of work. A short visit before she would go check on her nearly renovated floating house.

She walked around the house as she carefully passed by several critters, watching her steps while searching for her friend. “I heard rumours that you rescued a cat, and something about a curse!” Upon not finding her friend in the kitchen, she made her way towards the bedroom upstairs.

“Oh, there you are,” Dash said as she noticed her friend sitting on the bed and staring at the window. “So, mind telling me what this mess was all about?”

The mare kept staring at the window and didn’t respond.

“Oh, don’t give me the silent treatment again. There’s nothing to be sad about,” Dash continued as she approached her friend and sat next to the bed. “Now everypony blames some sort of Evil Enchantress or whatever it was about, who cursed you after you ventured into a dangerous forest to save a cat.”

She rounded the bed and looked Fluttershy in the eyes, who quickly turned her head. “Come on, Flutters, tell me what happened. Did you meet any dangerous creatures? Did you have any sort of cool fight, or a chance to test your regained powers? Come on, spill the beans.” Her wings flapped with excitement, but her friend remained mute.

“Don’t be like that, Flutters. I won’t last an hour without knowing what happened, tell me…” she raised her forelegs and held them together under her muzzle as she shot her taller friend a puppy stare. “Pretty please.”

Fluttershy sighed and said, “I… don’t want to talk about it.”

Dash held her breath as tears of laughter started to gather on her eyes. She did her best, but could barely resist snickering.

The disguised thestral said to herself, “Go ahead… I deserve it.”

Dash fell onto her back and bursted into a deep laughter.

“So… let me get this straight,” Dash said with a forehoof still on her mouth. “You went into the Everfree Forest to search for Rare’s cat. Kicked the wooden flanks of some timberwolves, met a zebra who saw through your disguise, and returned the cat.”

Fluttershy nodded, not saying a word as she spread the summoning powder onto the floor. Various animals sitting in circle and staring at the spectacle.

Dash chuckled. "And to think Rarity came up with something like a curse that made you taller, that's hilarious." She took a quick breath and continued, "So Zecora wanted you to get her some joke plants without telling you what they do for summoning powder?" She raised an eyebrow. "Sounds like she tried to prank you." ( or "Sounds like she tried to prank you from the get go."

Upon seeing a weak nod, Dash asked, "And she turned this prank into a punishment by not giving you the cure for a while, right?"

”Yes.”

“That’s rich,” Dash said, wiping remaining tears from her face. “First you grow up tall, and now a voice mutation.”

She poked her friend’s batlike wing. “I think you should keep your voice, it sounds really cool. Give it a week or two, and I will stop laughing everytime you say a word.”

”Can we please stop talking about my voice?” she pleaded before placing the bag of powder on the floor as she pointed at the summoning rune. “I need to focus for this spell to work.”

Dash frowned and crossed her forelegs. “Fine, but I still think it’s a complete waste.” She spread her forelegs. “Think of all the cool stuff you could summon. Maybe a monster that would serve you as a minion? A dragon, a ghost, anything would be better than this walking annoyance.”

”Dash!” Fluttershy said with a stomp, causing her friend to flinch. I understand that you and Angel didn’t get along, but I still care for and miss him. Can you please give him a chance? Please."

“Ugh… fine. Let’s get this over with.”

“You have done well, Angel,” said Arimaspi as he towered over the battered bunny. “You passed my trials and proved yourself. You are ready to take a task of great importance.” He knelt and lowered his forehoof for the bunny to jump on.

After raising it up to his face, he continued with a determined voice. “In the heart of the Griffon Kingdom, Griffonstone, there is a treasure of great value, guarded by the king’s guards themselves. Steal it for me, and it will deliver a devastating blow to their morale, making this kingdom much easier to conquer.”

Angel saluted.

The one eyed beast smiled. “Once you accomplish your mission, I will reward you with riches and power. Failure is not an opt… what’s going on?” he asked as some sort of rune appeared on his hoof. The bunny was captured in a sea of green flames, leaving the large hoof empty.

The necromancer who observed it from the sidelines spoke, “I believe that your top minion was just summoned to serve another master.”

The giant beast took a deep breath before stomping against the floor of his throne room, creating a large crater and sending stone fragments flying in all directions. “Good minions are so difficult to find these days.”

“They are indeed rare, my lord.”

Arimaspi sighed. “If you want something done right, you must do it yourself.” He raised to his full height and spoke with growing determination. “I will storm the castle and steal this treasure personally.”

The necromancer panicked. “But who will lead the army of cyclopeans and undead to conquer the kingdom? Should something happen to you, our campaign will turn into a failure. You’re too important to take such risk.”

“Are you doubting my might!?” he asked with another stomp, forcing the necromancer to hide behind the large throne. “I don’t fear those puny birds. I’ll crush them if they get in the way.” He walked towards the exit and tackled the large door.

The necromancer emerged from behind the throne, now staring at the empty hall and rubble. “Using brute force where you need stealth…” he sighed. “We’re doomed.”

Angel blinked in confusion as he looked around. Instead of a large darkened throne room where a powerful giant was planning his conquest of an entire nation, he saw colorful walls. Instead of an undead army and giants carrying huge maces, he saw little critters running around.

“Angel, you’re back!”

Angel’s eyes opened widely as he felt a powerful hug, confused by the voice. The moment he saw the tear covered face of Fluttershy, he understood everything. He slammed his head against the soft fur in regret as his dreams of becoming the right paw of a powerful overlord were crushed here and now. Instead, he was doomed to be the pet of a weak female thestral with the voice of a stallion.

“I missed you too Angel. I missed you a lot.”

Dash glanced upon the pair and looked to the side. “Meh.”

Author's Note:

List of editors:
Alticron
Word Worthy

Zecora sentences editor:
Discord_Lexia

PreviousChapters Next