• Published 1st Nov 2015
  • 7,374 Views, 1,095 Comments

Path of Kindness and Blood - CommanderX5



Fluttershy was a very kind pureblood vampony who suffered a terrible tragedy. Will she find a place to call home in Ponyville? Will it be filled with friendship and acceptance, or will she face fear and hostility?

  • ...
19
 1,095
 7,374

PreviousChapters Next
New Threat - The Lion's Den

Path of Kindness and Blood

-

Chapter 8

New Threat

Part 1 - The Lion's Den

“Your tickets, please,” said the grey earth pony wearing a black hat. His face smiling, but professional.

“Oh, right, ‘fcourse,” Applejack responded as she opened her saddlebag and brought out a ticket with her teeth.

“Thank you, and have a nice day,” the conductor said after a short examination of the tickets before going to another pony.

With her tickets back in her saddlebag, the farm mare turned towards the window and sighed. Ah really dislike them inspections. Hours of traveling to Manehattan and back wasted just so they can see if Ah’m bein’ manipulated or a monster. She frowned. Not that it would work on somepony being blood controlled, according to Fluttershy. Ah wonder how many spies are hidin’ in the Hunters’ Guild itself?

Her ears drooped. As much as Ah hate them inspections and bein’ away from home, Ah need to endure and learn more about thestrals, even if Ah need to spend a day or two there.

After opening a window, she used her forehooves as support for her head and looked outside. Feeling the wind blowing through her mane, she admired the view: Grass, hills, trees, farms, all reminding her of Sweet Apple Acres. Her smile faltered as confusion and doubt overtook her mind. Ah can’t believe how much has changed in a mere week… no… in two days.

She looked at the grass, a sea of green near the railroad tracks. How simple her life was? Wake up early in the morning, work hard, eat with mah family, play with Apple Bloom, go to sleep. She liked it this way. Applejack raised her head slightly and looked at the hills. Even huntin’ wasn’t complicated. The monsters are bad so Ah have to kill them. Hunt target, heal wounds, rest, write report. She grimaced. Lots of useless paperwork. Ah could as well write, “Ah killed it” or “Ah failed to kill the target” without the pointless details.

She glanced at her saddlebag, which contained proof of her kill; fangs and an ear from Sharp Eye, something that the mysterious master of the assassin was kind enough to leave behind before taking the body for a funeral.

Applejack slowly turned her head to the side and looked at the huge city on the horizon with a depressed smile, her ears curled and eyes half closed. And now it turns out mah friend’s a pureblood vampony. Ah tried to kill her and she was tryin’ to protect mah family. Now Ah’ve gotta keep secrets from mah family, the hunters and every other pony. How did mah life get so complicated? She closed her eyes and pressed her hat against her face. If Ah get a new assignment, who should Ah hunt or not?

“The train will arrive in Manehattan in ten minutes.” Applejack opened her eyes as she felt the conductor’s foreleg poking hers back. “My apologies, I got the impression that you had fallen asleep before your stop, ma’am.”

Applejack rubbed her eyes. Ah thought Ah closed mah eyes fer just a minute or two… She looked outside the opened window as large buildings passed in front of her. Maybe it was more than just a minute.

“Thank ya kindly,” she said before grabbing her saddlebag. If Ah’m goin’ to work this out, first Ah’ve gotta learn more about Fluttershy and her past. More importantly though, how much the guild knows ‘bout her.

“Hey there, Applejack,” said an orange earth pony stallion with a bandana on his forehead and a half cut orange with a cup of juice as his cutie mark.

“Howdy, Orange Juice,” the farm mare responded before entering a dark alley. After making sure that nopony is watching or listening, she whispered, “Why’re ya here? Ah thought ya’ll’d be done with the inspection already, living nearby the guild and all.”

“And miss the opportunity to congratulate my cousin on her first vampony kill? Not even for hundred baskets of oranges.”

Both Applejack and Orange Juice went deeper into the alley before entering the sewers, a secret and a bit dirty passage to the headquarters of the Monster Hunters Guild. As they walked next to the stream of wastewater, Orange Juice asked, “So, how was it, fighting against a vampony? Did he try to bite you? Was he difficult to defeat? Did your target have bat-like wings?”

The farm mare sighed, wishing to get a break both from the horrible smell and uneasy questions. “Ah… don’t want to talk about it.”

“Aww,” the stallion responded with disappointment, his ears and head dropped. Applejack looked at her cousin in pity. While her own family trained hunters for generations, Orange Juice had to hide his secret from his parents, and nopony could hammer it into his thick head that being a hunter wasn’t a walk in the park.

The stallion raised his head and asked, “Would you like to hang out with me once the inspection’s over? Manehattan has a lot of attractions you won’t find in Ponyville.” He pointed at his saddlebag. “I’ve two tickets for a movie, ‘Let Them Apples Dry.’ I don’t really know what it’s about, but I had to get tickets a week ago, or else they would run out.”

Applejack raised her eyebrow. “Sounds like yer tryin’ to take me out on a date.”

The stallion took a step back and blushed. “D-date… n-no, it’s not a date, just two friends hanging around… doing friendly stuff.” He chuckled nervously.

“If ya say so, but Ah’ll be busy today and tomorrow.”

Slowly recovering from his shock, Orange Juice sped up a little and asked, “Busy, in Manehattan? With what? Every single time the inspection’s over, you go back to Ponyville without looking back.”

Applejack turned to the left and pushed a loose brick in the wall as it caused a secret passage to open. “Ah just want to learn more about them vamponies so Ah can be more prepared for them in the future. As much as Ah dislike it, them books don't read themselves.”

A sudden silence overtook the hallway as the only noises were hoofsteps and drops of water hitting the floor. A few magical gems lit the way with a mix of red and orange while the secret entrance closed behind them. After a moment of walking, Orange Juice asked, “You’re not planning to…” he paused before finishing hesitantly, “to try avenge your parents? Revenge against a pureblood’s a foolish wish. They are Equestria’s biggest threat and our most dangerous enemies.”

The farm mare grimaced. If a reckless pony like Orange Juice found the idea of facing a pureblood stupid, it had to be really darn stupid. Ah’ve already faced Fluttershy who not only is a very young pureblood with no fighting experience, but she was holding back. While Ah hate to admit it, if she wasn’t goin’ easy on me, she would’ve kicked mah flank. What chance would Ah have against one that’s more powerful and cruel?

She looked at her cousin with a regretful smile and said, “Nah. Mah parents were damn good at what they were doin’ and they had the support of a veteran squad.” She stomped her hoof against the floor, cracking it and leaving a hoof shaped hole. “They were wiped out like nopony’s business. If even the guild thinks twice before messing with him, Ah will too.”

Orange Juice sighed in relief before giving Applejack a warm smile. “I think I know the perfect pony to help you learn about them, a pony who faced a pureblood and lived to tell stories about it.” Applejack’s eyes opened widely as she stared at him in shock. “I know you’re not too interested in guild affairs outside of yours and your family’s missions, but I love to learn about others’ adventures. This one mission was the guild’s greatest success.”

“Ah’m interested. Care to spare some details?” Applejack asked, trying to hide her worry behind a facade of curiosity.

“His name’s Sharp Arrow. He’s a crossbow sniper and Class B hunter who was under the command of Captain Chains. During the attack on a mansion located upon a mountain near Cloudsdale, they encountered two purebloods, can you believe it?”

Applejack’s heart skipped a beat as her suspicions were confirmed. She had the opportunity to learn about deaths of Fluttershy’s parents.

***

“So you’re Orange Juice’s cousin? My name’s Sharp Arrow, nice to meet you,” said a unicorn stallion with an arrow for a cutie mark.

Applejack raised her foreleg and shook his hoof. “Mah pleasure, sugarcube. So yer one of the folks who fought them purebloods. Ah’m impressed.”

The stallion rubbed his neck and blushed. “Thanks, nice to know someone appreciates a second fiddle like me.” Sharp Arrow looked at the farm mare in concern. “Sorry about your parents by the way. Pity that we lost such skilled hunters, but in our line of work, our lives can be compromised at any moment.” He lowered his head and added in a depressed tone, “This is something we must live with.”

Orange Juice nodded. “I heard that your parents were Class A hunters when they were sent to participate in that dreadful mission. Many good ponies lost their lives that day.”

After half a minute of respectful silence, Applejack asked, “So… what exactly happened?”

Sharp Arrow pointed towards the hallway. “It’s a long story, we may as well grab something to eat.”

Applejack nodded and followed as she looked around. Outside of seeing the medical wing that was filled with magical runes and all kind of devices, she never decided to explore more of this place. The area was a mix between fancy decorations and practical equipment. Many marble tables of different sizes filled the area, some of which had seats next to them. The walls, outside of white wallpaper, had many maps, lists of targets, warnings, weapons and even targets attached to them. Weapons most likely in case of emergency.

As she went on, Applejack saw a few doors labeled as ‘Research Area, authorized personnel only.’ She passed guest room after guest room in the hallway as most hunters were using them only temporarily, most of the time being in their own homes or in the field during a mission.

She noticed a hallway leading to a restricted area that was filled with guards. According to Sharp Arrow, it was an officer’s wing, and outside of rooms for high rank officers, it also contained an armory and a highly secured laboratory. Whatever were they researching in there was top secret.

After finally reaching the canteen, the trio of hunters ordered two sandwiches and an apple pie before sitting around a table.

Sharp Arrow said, “It all started when we got intelligence report about vampony activity...”

***

“... it took a month before I could walk again… is something wrong, Miss Applejack?”

The farm mare stared at him speechlessly with wide eyes and an opened mouth as her brain tried to comprehend what she just heard. With a firm stomp against the table, she asked, “And ya didn’t find it any suspicious that none of the hunters were killed?”

“Shhh…” Sharp Arrow silenced Applejack with a hoof and looked around. Seeing that nopony paid them any mind, he sighed in relief and whispered, “There are things we best not question, trust me on this.”

Applejack blinked and tilted her head to the side. “What do ya mean?”

The stallion whispered again, “Ever since this mission, Lieutenant Unbreakable Shackles was rewarded with over eight million bits and was promoted to the rank of Colonel. You could say that he now plays the role of an advisor to the leaders of this guild.”

“And?”

Sharp Arrow massaged his forehead. “The official version of the events based on his report is as follows: under him and his brother’s leadership, they managed to kill a mansion full of vamponies and two purebloods with only a few hunters casualty, who were killed in the crossfire after rushing into the battle against Shackles' orders.” He whispered again, “The last pony who tried to point out that lack of casualties was a result of purebloods showing mercy rather than Shackles’ and Chains’ leadership skills ended up going on a suicide mission.”

Anger boiled in Applejack like lava while her face became red and she felt like smoke was starting to escape from her nose. They fabricate lies and punish those speaking the truth, the nerve! After taking a few deep breaths to calm down, she said quietly, “Ah find it difficult to believe that those… those monsters would spare so many lives. Mah parents and many great hunters died while tryin’ to kill a pureblood in Manehattan. To think that less experienced ones would survive facing two in Cloudsdale, am Ah the only one who thinks it make as much sense as oranges growing on an apple tree?”

“You’re not the only one. There were barely any vamponies to defend against our attack, and those purebloods either aimed for our legs or tried to put us to sleep. Their fighting abilities were lacking as well. It was almost too easy.” His ears drooped as he pushed aside his half eaten sandwich. “To be honest, my doubts about killing them being a good thing are growing with every passing day.”

“Huh, how so?” Orange juice asked.

“Cloudsdale, next to Canterlot, was the most peaceful area. We almost never had assignments there. At first we believed that it is due to the high exposure to the sun, but ever since we killed the purebloods residing there...” He sighed. “Cloudsdale became a battlefield between warring vampony clans. The civilian casualties have already reached over three hundred, and the number of turned pegasi is drastically increasing.”

Sharp Arrow pointed to a portrait of Princess Celestia that hung on the wall next to a clock. “After the Royal Guards and the volunteering Wonderbolts failed to deal with the riots, Princess Celestia herself ordered the relocation of Cloudsdale towards the capital to personally oversee the flying city. At first we were surprised as to why she would do it as it would put Canterlot citizens at risk, but…” He paused and looked to the side, “her actions calmed the situation for two years. Apparently those mons… batty ponies fear her.”

“Makes sense,” Orange Juice said while raising a lecturing hoof. “She’s the Princess of the Sun and supposedly possesses great power. I’m not surprised the Vamponies fear her.”

Sharp Arrow sighed. “Sadly, it was impossible to keep this city in one place for too long due to weather-related issues. The battles are once again starting anew.”

“Do you suspect a power vacuum?” Orange Juice asked as a debate between both hunters began.

Applejack ignored the debate as she was deep in thought. They were holdin’ back. Fluttershy’s parents were holdin’ back against the hunters that tried to take their lives… She looked at small, barely visible marks on Sharp Arrow’s legs. They died because they refused to kill. They kept all the vamponies in check and ensured peace for an entire city. They were an innocent, loving family who wanted to live in peace. They refused to take a life and painful death was their reward.

Applejack bit her lips and closed her eyes tightly. They were just like Fluttershy, who suffered to save mah family. She nearly died because of her kindness… Ah… Ah don’t deserve to be her friend… don’t deserve her mercy.

“Applejack!”

“Huh, wha?” the farm mare opened her eyes as she was greeted with curious stares. “Sorry ‘bout that. Ah dozed there for a second.”

“I understand. The story must have been very difficult to comprehend,” Sharp Arrow said before asking a question. “Do you want a moment to contemplate it, or would you like me to share my knowledge about vamponies?”

Applejack looked towards the exit. My friend’s kindness is admirable, but it brings her nothin’ but sufferin’. She deserves better. “Ah’m ready,” she started before turning back to her fellow hunters. “Tell me all ya know about vamponies, especially their strengths and fightin’ skills. Anythin’ that makes a vampony dangerous, Ah want to know about it.”

Sharp Arrow smirked. “Aren’t we eager to learn? I like your enthusiasm. The first thing you need to know is…”

A knocking sound filled the room as a pegasus looked away from the reports lying on the table in front of him, now focused on the door. “Enter.”

The door opened, revealing a unicorn hunter who half bowed before closing the door. “P-permission to speak, s-sir.”

“Is this important?”

“N-not really, just a report on…” he stopped upon gesture of officer’s foreleg.

“Sit and wait.”

“Yes, sir.” The hunter did as he was told, drops of sweat falling down his face. The officer in front of him just read a piece of paper, perched comfortably on a cloud while surrounded with expensive paintings, bottles of the best wines, and a table displaying his accomplishments; from medals to a picture of a pureblood family, though one would swear that part of the picture was torn off.

After three more minutes of checking his report while whistling to himself, he rolled the paper into a ball and threw it into the trash. He looked at the unicorn hunter and spoke, “Speak, but don’t waste my time.”

“Yes, sir!” he responded with a salute before reporting. “A few minutes ago in the canteen, I overheard three hunters talking about the glorious day of your greatest victory, sir. However…” He rubbed his foreleg. “They mentioned the possibility of the purebloods showing kindness.”

The officer raised an eyebrow and placed both of his forelegs on the table. With his forehooves touching each other while elbows pressed against the wooden surface, he spoke, “Is that so?” Noticing a firm nod, he ordered, “Their names and ranks, now.”

The unicorn saluted and spoke as professionally as he could. “Class C hunter Applejack, from a family of hunters that reside in Ponyville. Class D hunter Orange Juice who resides in Manehattan, and the one who was telling the story was Class A hunter Sharp Arrow from the Cloudsdale division.”

“Sharp Arrow,” the pegasus said coldly as his stare caused unicorn hunter to step back. “I had hoped that he learned his lesson.”

“It… it was Applejack who voiced her concerns, Sir.”

His angered glare softened as a small smile rose on his lips. “I see. So Applejack, who less than a week ago killed her first vampony, got interested in dealing with them and got the wrong assumptions after listening to Sharp Arrow’s story. I guess she does take after her parents.” He smirked. “I suppose I can forgive one of our rookies for getting the wrong impression.” He opened his desk and took out a small bag of bits before throwing them towards the unicorn, who gratefully grabbed it with his magic.

“Thank you for your generosity, sir. You’re too kind.”

“You deserved it,” the officer said with a fake warmness. “The fact that you could tell their names, ranks and location of their homes on the spot impressed me. In fact, you deserve to call me by my name.”

“That’s an honour, Sir Shackles.”

Unbreakable Shackles relaxed himself in his cloud and pointed towards the door, “Before you return to your post, please be so kind as to summon my brother here.”

“As you command,” the hunter responded as he half bowed before leaving the room.

With no pony around, Shackles looked at his very fancy room. Riches, power, influence, he had it all. He pushed a stock of papers to the side and placed his hind legs on the table. Now relaxed and with his forelegs under the back of his head, he thought, Applejack from Ponyville, hmn… Ever since that large failed operation to take out the pureblood that resided in Manehattan, we lost plenty of Class B and A hunters, a huge loss that shook those three big fish that run this place. After that, the price for a pureblood’s head was tripled. And only three year later, I killed two. Luck shines down on me brightly.

He took out one bit from his opened saddlebag and tossed into air before catching it with his hoof. Both Applejack and Tearbat… or was it Flutterbat, now reside in Ponyville, and just now I was informed that the farm mare learned about my story. Is this a coincidence, or maybe fate has given me another golden opportunity? He looked at the bit on his hoof and smirked. “Let’s gamble.”

The door suddenly opened as a pegasus with chains for his cutie mark entered. “You called, brother?”

“Perfect timing. How’s your progress on recruiting Maud Pie?” Shackles asked, still lying comfortably as he looked at his younger brother.

Unbreakable Chain rubbed back of his neck nervously. “I’m sorry, but she still refuses. I tried the physiological approach, telling her about patriotism and stuff, but she didn’t seem bothered at all. Bits didn’t speak to her either.”

“What about rocks? I heard that she is obsessed with them. Did you used your trump card?” Shackles asked.

“Yes I did, but she still refused.”

The relaxed expression on Shackles vanished as it was replaced by disappointment. He rose from his comfortable position and massaged his forehead. “So she refused the rare collections of meteorites? I thought she always wanted to have them, but would never have access or permission to buy them.”

“I was surprised too.”

Shackles rubbed the table with a hoof. “Pity, a pony of her strength with some combat training would make an excellent bodyguard and meatshield. It’s very difficult to find earth ponies with her level of earth pony magic nowadays.”

“Easy come, easy go,” Chains responded as he shrugged. “So, what’s our next move?”

Shackles stood and walked towards his brother before placing forehoof on his shoulder. “Oh, I’m not giving up on her that easy. When I want something, I get it.” He pointed at a file on the table. “According to Maud’s profile, she has a sister in Ponyville, a very lively and cheerful one.”

Chains approached to take a closer look before glancing at his brother in confusion. “Do you want me to go to Ponyville and see if we can use Pinkie Pie’s desires to get Maud’s cooperation?”

“There’s no need for that,” Shackles said as he started stretching himself. His wings spread as he started to do pushups with them. “It’s been a while since I went to the field. I think I’ll visit Ponyville personally. I get the feeling that fortune will smile upon me there and I can kill three birds with one stone.”

“Three birds? What’s there to Ponyville beside’s Pinkie Pie?”

“Besides a farm mare named Applejack who as of lately became too curious for her own good, there is also an old friend of mine I would like to visit.” He smirked devilishly. “I wonder how she is holding up after all these years.”

Author's Note:

For those who wonder how Shackles know about the werebouts of Fluttershy, I can say that appointed spies to keep track on her location. With influence and bits he gained after the mission, he could affort having spies in various locations. I cannot tell anything more without releasing any spoilers though.

List of editors:
Alticron
GMZ_Casper

PreviousChapters Next