• Published 1st Nov 2015
  • 7,372 Views, 1,095 Comments

Path of Kindness and Blood - CommanderX5



Fluttershy was a very kind pureblood vampony who suffered a terrible tragedy. Will she find a place to call home in Ponyville? Will it be filled with friendship and acceptance, or will she face fear and hostility?

  • ...
19
 1,095
 7,372

PreviousChapters Next
Broken - After the Storm

Path of Kindness and Blood

-

Chapter 7

Broken

Part 3 - After the Storm

It had to have been the quietest dinner ever for the Apple Family. Normally, Apple Bloom and Applejack would often talk about their day or other things, Granny Smith would add a comment or two and Big Macintosh ate in silence. The day after a mission was especially lively when the filly asked lots of questions and begged her sister or brother to tell more about their adventures. However, both Apples weren’t feeling talkative or hungry for various reasons.

Apple Bloom stared at her sister as she ate her peas one by one, a lost look on her face. She couldn’t help but sympathize for Applejack, who had always been so devoted to her duty as a huntress. Now that the first vampony she encountered turned out to be the nicest one in the world, she was torn between befriending and hating her. For Apple Bloom, it was a clear picture. Fluttershy was a good vampony. She didn’t want to turn anypony, nor did she want to kill them all because they were part of a guild that ruined her life. Even after their kind had killed her family, she remained merciful.

No monster can act like that. She’s not like the other purebloods, thought Apple Bloom. How can Ah get mah sister to see that?

“Is somethin’ wrong?” Big Macintosh asked out of the blue. Both sisters snapped their heads up, but their brother was looking only at AJ. “Did somethin’ happen?”

“Ah...” Applejack bit her lip. “Ah had an argument with Fluttershy and Dash... nothin’ serious.”

Granny raised an eyebrow. “Ah hope ya didn’t yell at them, especially that sweet Fluttershy. She’s a good and gentle pony. Wish more were like her these days.”

“Yeah...” muttered Applejack. She was quiet for a bit longer before pushing her seat back and getting away from the table. “Sorry, but Ah’m not feelin’ hungry. Ah’m headin’ to bed.”

Apple Bloom watched her sister get up and head upstairs before she turned to face the rest of her family. “Ah need to use the little filly’s room, be right back.”

Before her brother or granny could say anything, Apple Bloom hurried upstairs. She quickly turned towards her sister’s room after the final step and made it just before she closed the door.

Applejack raised an eyebrow. “What is it, little sis?”

“Can Ah... can Ah ask ya a question? I-It’s for a homework assignment.”

“Um, sure?”

Apple Bloom bit her lip and tried to think of something to help her keep Applejack focused when she remembered a lesson from Miss Cheerilee's class last week about Pre-Equestria days. “We learned in school that we earth ponies never got along with unicorns and pegasi way back when, right? So why did we? Why did we hate them so much?”

Applejack, who was actually decent in history herself rather than math and science like their big brother, replied, “It’s because we were afraid of them bein’ different and our leaders didn’t get along. Generations taught us to hate each other for rather silly reasons. We thought they were all bad apples by the actions of a few, but we forgot they were just like us. They had family, friends, dreams, ambitions, and more.”

“So what yer sayin’ is no single race can be all bad because that’s not possible? And hatin’ an entire race, thinkin’ they are evil, is wrong, even if ya been taught that your entire life?” asked Apple Bloom with a big smile.

Applejack’s eyes widened and her jaw dropped. The realization that Apple Bloom had hoped to give her big sister had come. Falling to her haunches, Applejack nearly fell over but caught herself on the door. Apple Bloom, now worried, asked, “Are ya okay?”

“What... what have Ah done?” muttered Applejack as she closed her eyes. “Oh, Fluttershy...”

“Is... is this about yer fig… arguin’ with her?” asked Apple Bloom, faking ignorance.

Applejack only nodded before lowering her head in shame. “Thank you, Apple Bloom. Ah need... Ah need to be alone now.”

Applejack closed her door and nopony saw her the rest of the night. Although, listening closely, Apple Bloom could hear her big sister crying.

“How are you holding up?” Dash asked in concern as she pushed a cloud above her friend. Luckily there were no ponies on the way between Fluttershy’s cottage and the farm to witness this. After not receiving any response, she continued, “I told you to drink something before coming here. You didn’t even take any clothes as protection from the sun.” She slowly descended and pointed at the closest tree. “How about we take a break? That spot looks nice.”

Being escorted to the safety of a tree, Fluttershy took a few deep breaths and lay in its protective shadow. “Thank you.”

“I’m even more worried now. You were never as reckless as you were today.”

Fluttershy sighed and looked at her friend apologetically. “I know, and I’m really sorry. It’s just that… I’m not thinking clearly when I am sad.”

The pegasus laid next to Fluttershy and placed wing over her back. “I know. I only wish I could cheer you up somehow.” Dash lowered her neck in front of her friend and added, “Please, don’t make me beg you.”

Not feeling strong enough to argue and barely capable to resist her overwhelming hunger, Fluttershy grew two fangs in her mouth and pushed them into the pegasus’s veins.

No longer being trapped in a filly’s body and with regained knowledge and skills accumulated over decades, she sent a painkilling substance into her friend, making sure Dash’s discomfort didn’t last longer than a second or two.

Rainbow Dash relaxed herself as she found the experience rather pleasant. Her smile widened and eyes closed. “You know, you should offer some massage services once they finish rebuilding the spa.” She quickly put her hooves on her mouth, realizing what she just said.

Fluttershy carefully pulled her fangs away and licked the wound. Word ‘spa’ caught her attention, but she decided to ignore it for now as she licked her lip with satisfaction. While her animal friends feed her regularly, Dash’s blood was the most tasty of treat, especially when she was on the verge of starvation as it filled her half empty veins and energised her body. Suddenly, a memory of drinking Sharp Eye’s blood surfaced, the memory of its taste taking away her appetite while her good mood vanished in an instant.

Rainbow Dash massaged her neck and looked to the side, hoping to see a cheerful smile on her friend’s face, but all she saw was depression. It seems not even my blood can cheer her up...

“Umm… Fluttershy, can you tell me something?” The moment her friend looked at her curiously, she asked, “Can you tell me more about what happened yesterday?” She looked at the grass next to Fluttershy’s forelegs and continued, “I know it must’ve been a very traumatic experience, and I really don’t want to make you feel any worse, but Rarity didn’t tell me all that much…” She gently grabbed her friend’s foreleg between her own forehooves and looked her in the eyes. “Please, I want to know so I can help you.”

The pureblood looked at the tree for a few seconds before sighing and whispered hesitantly, “Alright.”

***

Before Rainbow Dash could comprehend what her dear friend told her she went through, she was wrapped up in a hug as if she was a plush toy while Fluttershy sought consolation in her warm fur. “I tried… I tried everything I could to save him… but all of it was for nothing.”

Dash didn’t say a word and just let her friend vent while gently stroking her mane. As time passed, the thestral finally ceased sobbing and leveled her breathing, Dash asked, “Feeling better?”

“Y-yes,” Fluttershy responded as she kept her head pressed against her friend’s chest. “I feel like… like a lot of weight was dropped from my heart… And even if Applejack’s words were harsh towards me… I’m glad we at least talked.” The silence and embrace lasted a bit longer, only to be interrupted.

“What you’re doing?” asked a cheerful voice as both mares jumped to their hooves. In front of them was a bouncing ball of energy.

“P-Pinkie Pie?!” Dash shouted and shook her forehooves in panic. “It’s not what you think!”

“And what do I think?” asked Pinkie.

“That we... nevermind,” Dash responded as she turned her head to the side and covered her blush with a hoof.

“No you silly. How about you Fluttershy, what am I thinking?” Pinkie asked as the pegasus rolled her eyes.

“Oh, ummm… that I’m a blood sucking monster?” Fluttershy asked hesitantly, causing Dash to look at her with a pale face as if she saw a ghost.

“Nope, now your turn Dashie. Can I call you Dashie by the way? It sounds so cute,” Pinkie asked as she dashed towards Rainbow Dash.

“I’m not playing your weird games.”

“Awww.” Pinkie’s ears dropped.

“Umm, I can guess if you want,” Fluttershy interrupted, causing the party mare to jump towards her.

“Really?”

She nodded before tapping her own chin. “You’re thinking that I was on a date with Rainbow Dash.”

The pegasus blushed as her mouth opened agape while Pinkie fell onto her back and laughed hysterically. “N-n-no… b-but… that was hilarious… you and Dashie…on a date... oh my back...”

Fluttershy walked back into safety of the tree’s shade as her friend approached and whispered, “What were you thinking?” She shook her head, “Nevermind, don’t answer that.”

“I may not know Pinkie Pie all that well,” Fluttershy responded. “But just today, she was doing everything she could to cheer me up.” Her ears and wings dropped as she added in a more depressed tone, “While I appreciate her efforts, I just… I made her cry.” She looked at Pinkie who got back on her hooves. “I see that my joke worked.”

“It sure did,” Dash admitted with a firm nod. “Still, try not to embarrass me next time you tell one, okay?”

“It sure was a funny joke,” Pinkie admitted before continuing in disappointment. “Still, it should be me making you laugh, not the other way around.” She cleared her throat and stood on her rear hooves, forehoof raised in a lecturing gesture. “Anyway, what I’m thinking is, ‘how can I bring a smile to your faces?’” With a swift move of her hoof, she pulled out a picnic basket from inside her mane. Before anypony could speak, she took out a blanket from hole inside a tree. “Let’s have a picnic. It sure will be fun.”

“What, where, how?” Dash asked in confusion as she put her forelegs on her forehead.

“A blanket and basket for picnic emergencies. I have blankets hidden all over open areas that are great for picnics.”

Dash rubbed top of her head as she tried to understand what she just heard. “And the basket?”

Pinkie chuckled. “The food would go bad, silly, that’s why I always replace the food inside my emergency picnic basket everyday.”

“Forget I ever asked.”

For the next several minutes, the trio ended up eating cupcakes, strawberries and some other snacks that Pinkie brought. Even Fluttershy’s appetite improved after receiving her dose of blood and getting rid of everything that weighed on her heart. However despite all of this, she still felt some sort of emptiness that even the best food or blood couldn’t fill.

Pinkie licked her lips while making satisfying noise and asked, “Do you like it?”

Dash nodded with a smile. “I sure do. When it comes to sweets, you’re the best.”

“What about you, Fluttershy?” Pinkie asked as she carefully studied her friend’s face features.

The disguised thestral gulped what she just chewed and said calmly, “They are… good,” before fixing a small umbrella that the energetic earth pony took out from nowhere for her comfort.

Pinkie’s cheerful smile saddened for a moment as she didn’t found even smallest trace of a honest smile. “So, you girls went to visit the farm’s animals?”

“We did… I mean, I did. Rainbow Dash kept me company,” Fluttershy responded.

After finishing the last piece of salad, the pegasus said, “Pretty much. What about you, Pinkie? Why are you here?”

“I tried to ask Rarity why Fluttershy was so sad and what happened to the cottage, but she refused to tell. Something about keeping secrets,” Pinkie said before pointing at Fluttershy. “Can you tell me this secret, please?”

“I’m sorry,” Fluttershy responded.

“Pretty please, with sugar on top?” the party mare pleaded with her forelegs curled under her neck and eyes opened widely in a begging gesture, but Fluttershy just shook her head. Pinkie looked at the blanket for a moment with a sad look before picking up some sort of checklist from the picnic basket. “I prepared a special fun-filled plan and I was looking for you to put it to the test.”

Fluttershy shook her foreleg. “I appreciate it, but I just want to…”

“There’s no time to lose,” the party pony said as she rolled the blanket, throwing the pegasus and pureblood thestral onto the grass. The basket landed on the grass as well while all food leftovers fell into it. Before anypony could question how she did that, much less where both the basket and blanket disappeared to a moment later, they were captured in a powerful hug. “This is going to be the best day ever!

***

“Umm… I don’t know how to feel about this,” Fluttershy said as she looked at her shirt with a hoofball on it, Ponyville’s team flag being held in her hoof.

“Well, I am up for sport and everything, but...” Dash stated as she pointed at Scootaloo who glared at her with her tiny wings flapping rapidly. “You organized a hoofball match between fillies and colts just for us?”

“Yup. What can be more heartwarming than watching young ones playing a game of hoofball? When I mentioned that their hero will be there, lots of them volunteered.”

“This goal is for you, Rainbow Dash!” Scootaloo shouted before kicking the ball towards the goalpost, only for it to bounce off the post towards Sweetie Belle’s head as it bounced again, right into Rainbow Dash’s belly. She was about to return the ball, when both teams jumped at her, covering her in a pony pile.

“I may not know the rules,” Pinkie said as she looked at the trapped pegasus, “but I think this isn’t how you play hoofball.”

“Tell me about it,” Dash responded as she peeked out from under the foals and looked into Scootaloo’s awkwardly smiling face.

***

“When you said there was lots of food waiting for us at Sugarcube Corner–” Fluttershy said before a pie made contact with her head. She carefully removed the pie tin and licked her face before continuing, “I didn’t really expect a food fight.”

“You silly, you don’t invite a bunch of fillies and foals for a snack after a hoofball match without a good old food fight. What could be more exciting than that?” Pinkie asked as she opened her mouth and let a cupcake fly into it. After a solid gulp, she took a slice of a cake and threw it into Twist’s face, who licked it with a satisfied ‘mmm’.

“I can name at least hundreds of things,” said Dash as she was about to get hit by a tasty projectile, but Scootaloo jumped in front of her and took the impact on herself. Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes.

***

“Festival? I didn’t know Ponyville was holding a festival today,” Fluttershy said as she held some cotton candy in her hoof. It would be a miracle if she wasn’t going be fat by the end of the day.

“Me neither, but considering how ponies in Ponyville love those, I’m not surprised. It’s not like Pinkie organized one for us at the last moment, right Pinkie?” Dash asked as she threw a ball towards a target, quickly winning a plush bear.

“Of course not,” the party mare said with an awkward smile as she pushed a few random objects into a bush with her hind leg, “that would just be silly.”

As the stand owner was about to give the reward to Rainbow Dash, instead of a plush bear, the stallion gave her a filly pegasus who was as motionless as she could be. Dash rolled her eyes at another of Scootaloo's shenanigans.

***

Dash yawned as it was slowly getting late. She looked at the dance floor filled with ponies and multicolored lights that flashed all over the place. The whole day, Pinkie was dragging them all over Ponyville for various activities. While she had lots of fun most of the day, she was slowly getting tired and sleepy. She looked at her back as a young pegasus was sleeping on it.

Dash sighed in annoyance. While she always loved to have fans who were admiring her tricks and shouting her name, this one was getting a bit out of control. Fluttershy on the other hoof…

The shy thestral became much more lively during the night hours as she was now taking lessons from Vinyl Scratch, who just happened to be running this night club.

Dash tilted her head towards Pinkie and said, “I didn’t even know we had a night club.”

“You didn’t? Where have you been the past month?” Pinkie asked as she somehow tied herself up with her own legs and was now lying on the edge of the dance floor. “Vinyl–”

“DJ-Pon 3.”

“Yeah, that. When she moved to Ponyville, with some help from Rarity, we helped her with opening this club, which ended up being an alternative to my usual welcome parties. And to my surprise, she organized a welcome party for Octavia who moved into Ponyville today, and we’re being invited.” She chuckled. “It’s kind of a weird change of pace for me.”

“How you involved me in this is beyond my comprehension,” Octavia said in annoyance as she untied Pinkie and helped her stand.

The party finally ended at 1:00 AM and the guests were leaving one by one. Two ponies stayed behind to clean the mess. Pinkie was trotting behind the leaving ponies, but then stopped in front of the opened door and lowered her head.

As Vinyl levitated pieces of plates that shattered when one of the dancing pairs lost control and crashed into the dining table, she noticed a pony standing in front of the door from the corner of her eye. After dumping the trash, she approached the sad pony and placed a forehoof on her shoulder. “What’s wrong, Pinkie? You didn’t enjoy the party?”

The party mare turned her head to the side, her ears curled. “I did...”

“Then what’s the problem?”

Pinkie sat and sighed. “She didn’t smile… even once. I tried my best, used every trick and activity that I could think of, and even sang a song, but she’s just as depressed as before.” Pinkie turned to look at the unicorn with wide eyes and sad pout. “What I’m doing wrong?”

“You’re not doing anything wrong. I mean; after the horrors of what that filly endured, I’m surprised how well she’s holding up,” Vinyl said as she patted Pinkie’s back. “She may smile or never smile ever again, who knows, but she needs pals, and you’re doing an awesome job in being there for her, cheering her up in dark times.”

“You… you really think so?”

“You bet.”

A weak smile appeared on Pinkie’s face. “Thank you.” She rubbed her neck. “Still, I really wish somepony would tell me why she’s so sad. What’s the big secret that no pony wants to tell me?”

“Oh, that’s simple, really. Fluttershy is a pureblood thestral whose parents were killed in front of her own eyes by monster hunters who attacked their mansion and slaughtered everyone inside,” started Vinyl as Pinkie’s ears perked up. Octavia dropped her mop from her teeth and looked at DJ Pon-3 with her mouth agape.

Vinyl continued, “Applejack attacked her yesterday, oh, and get this, she and her family are monster hunters, can you believe it? Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah.” She fixed her glasses and continued, “Fluttershy spared Applejack and her family, which got her into an avalanche of trouble, like that assassin spy ninja who went all crazy and attacked both her and Applejack. I thought he was cool, but he sure was a sore loser.” Vinyl frowned. “He just took his own life because he couldn’t take defeat like a pony. I mean, come on. That was sooo lame!”

“R-really,” Pinkie said slowly as her brain tried to comprehend these new facts. She looked at the ceiling while tapping her chin and stated, “Now it all makes sense.”

Octavia approached a wall and closed her eyes. With one strong swing, she hit it with her head, leaving a few cracks and a pony-head shaped hole. Without hesitation, she repeated the process a few times before wiping the rubble from her head. She next looked at her friend and asked, “Vinyl, how do you function?”

The DJ rubbed her chin thoughtfully. “I’m not sure. I never studied vamp...thestral biology,” she responded as the sound of a loud thump followed. Vinyl bit her lip and said to herself, “I think wall renovation is in order.” She approached her friend and pulled Octavia’s head which was stuck in the wall, and next licked her bleeding muzzle. When she was about to praise the taste, a loud scream reached her ears. She looked to the side at Pinkie, only to find a trembling tail emerging from a hole in the floor.

Rainbow Dash yawned as she struggled to keep her eyes open. With her vision blurry and feeling exhausted after today’s activities, she didn’t react fast enough when she tripped over a root. Her eyes shot open as she looked around, quickly noticing that she was now lying on her friend’s back. “You sure seem less tired and a lot more lively than me,” Dash said. “You really should go out at night more often.”

“I’m not sure if that’s a good idea,” Fluttershy responded calmly as she kept her pace towards the cottage. “I mean, nights are much more pleasant without the sun burning away my energy, and the stars and the moon decorating the sky are wonderful and all.” She lowered her head and continued in more depressed tone, “But I need to rest too, and if I don’t rest at night, I’ll need to during the day.”

“Yeah, yeah. You need to torture yourself by walking in the sunlight to keep appearances,” Dash stated before yawning again. Her chin pressed against the soft feathers of her friend’s wing, intrigued that thestrals can turn their batlike wings into feathery ones at will. “Are you feeling better?”

“... a little, I guess.”

Rainbow Dash frowned. “Ugh… you are still thinking about that. He tried to kill you and Applejack for Celestia’s sake! You even tried to save him!”

“I know… just… give me time…”

The pegasus’s ears and wings dropped. After witnessing the death of her parents, Fluttershy shut herself away for months. For how long she will grieve again this time?

“Wait!”

Fluttershy flinched and turned around, nearly dropping the pegasus from her back who blushed and stood up. Despite the distance, Fluttershy spotted the approaching pony thanks to her sharpened senses. “P-Pinkie?” After a closer look, she noticed two more ponies that were trying to catch up. “Vinyl, Octavia?”

The energetic earth pony pressed her hooves against the ground, trying to make a full stop as cloud of dust followed her. The DJ arrived a moment later without breaking a sweat while Octavia took several quick breaths, barely standing on her shaking legs.

“You guys? I thought you both were cleaning after the party,” Dash said as she pointed at both musicians.

“Pinkie… helped…” Octavia said as she tried to catch her breath. She slowly regained her composure and fixed her bowtie. “We finished very quickly thanks to Miss Pie’s assistance, and she dragged us with her afterwards.”

Fluttershy looked at the energetic pony who was now on the verge of tears. This very sight causing an unpleasant feeling in her stomach and growing desire to cry alongside her. She asked in concern, “Pinkie, is something wrong?”

Without a warning, Pinkie grabbed Fluttershy in a bone crushing hug. An embrace so strong that it gave her superior regeneration a challenge.

“If I knew earlier, I would have done so much more. I would’ve sung more songs, made more parties and give you even more presents and sweets!”

The embraced pony stopped gritting her teeth and struggled to give out a response, “W-what are you… talking about?”

Pinkie tightened her vice-grip even harder. “Silly me. Why should I give you sweets when you prefer blood? I wonder how mine will tastes.”

“W-what?!”

Pinkie exposed her neck and looked at the pureblood with tears flowing from her eyes. “Drink up and tell me how I taste.”

“B-but… how?” Rainbow Dash asked while rubbing her own eyes. Was this really happening, or was she still dreaming while perched atop her friend.

“She knows because my roommate, Vinyl, cannot keep her mouth shut,” Octavia said calmly while pointing at the culprit who shrugged in response.

“What, you, how?” Dash asked before realization struck her. She pointed at the DJ accusingly and shouted, “Are you that thestral who lead my friend to the meeting with some big shot from Canterlot?”

“Bingo!”

“And you just tell ponies left and right about the existence of thestrals like it’s not a big deal?”

Octavia nodded and said, “She told me without a second thought a long time ago, and Applejack learned yesterday.”

The pegasus facehooved and asked, “How are you still alive?”

Vinyl stood on her rear hooves and placed forehooves on her sides while keeping her head raised proudly. “I’m too cool to die.” She smirked and fixed her trademark purple glasses as she waited for a muscular pony to appear out of nowhere. Both of them shouted in unison, “YEAH!”

Dash blinked in confusion as she wondered where was this big pony hiding this whole time. She raised her eyebrow. “Let me guess; he knows because of Vinyl's big mouth?” Upon noticing Octavia nod and a brohoof between the unicorn musician and the big muscular pegasus, she added, “Figures.”

***

She knows my secret, this isn’t good, Fluttershy thought while ignoring an odd feeling in her regenerating bones. Though part of her felt pity for all the victims of Pinkie’s hugs who didn’t have her increased recovery.

“D-did you tell anypony?”

“N-no,” Pinkie responded, sobbing and with a sad tone still present in her voice, but at least her mane was still puffy. “It w-would be like in a h-horror story.” She released her hold over Fluttershy who landed on her flank. “S-sorry… Anyway; in horror stories when town folks learn that there’s a vampony, werepony or a changeling among them, they turn into an angry mob with pitchforks and stuff. I don’t want you run out of town. It would make you even sadder and I would lose a friend.”

Fluttershy hadn’t budged from her spot as she stared in disbelief. “F-frien…”

“Yes, friend. We’re friends after all,” Pinkie responded and wiped tears from her face. “We’re friends, right?” she asked with widened eyes as if ready to cry again.

Fluttershy looked to the side. “I would love to, but why would you want to be friends with a blood sucking thestral like me?” Noticing that Pinkie tilted her head to the side as a confused “huh” escaped her mouth, Fluttershy continued, "I’m not an ordinary thestral, but a pureblood one. I’m much more powerful and have ability to transform ponies. Aren’t you scared of me?”

Pinkie tapped her chin and looked back with relaxed composure. “I don’t know. Are you eating other ponies?”

“Sweet Celestia, no!”

“Do you drink them dry?”

“I wouldn’t dare, unless with their permission, and even then I would leave enough of portion to keep them alive.”

“Do you want to create an army of vamponies or undead to overthrow the princess and plunge Equestria into eternal darkness?”

“What? Now you’re just making up the weirdest and most insane ideas I’ve ever heard.”

With a large smile spreading on her face, Pinkie shouted, “Then I say, why not?!”

Vinyl approached and pointed out, “She already had her freak out tonight. She dug herself into the ground while screaming 'Don't eat me, don't eat me!'"

“Sorry about the floor,” Pinkie responded while rubbing the back of her neck.

Fluttershy stretched herself, still feeling the effect of the previous hug. She approached the party mare and used her own tail to wipe Pinkie’s tears. “Sorry about making you cry,” she apologised calmly.

“Sorry about not cheering you up often enough.”

“Oh Pinkie, you did more than enough. The fact that you’re not afraid of me and still want to be my friend... It means a lot to me.”

The party mare took a closer look at the smile that appeared on her sad friend, quickly noticing that it was a forced one. But it wasn’t over yet. She still had one trick ready to be used. “I still want to know how does my blood tastes, please, please, please!”

Fluttershy was about to refuse, but failed to withstand the puppy dog eyes of the party mare. With a silent nod, she lowered her head to Pinkie’s neck and pressed her fangs. As she sucked more and more, stars appeared in her eyes. With her hunger satisfied, she pulled the fangs and licked the wound as her body started shaking. "it tastes... like drinking liquid sugar."

“Fluttershy, are you feeling okay?” Dash asked in concern, only for her friend to spread her wings and dashed towards her while leaving a trail of dust right behind her.

“Of course I feel okay Dashie, better than okay. I feel as if I ate a three tier birthday cake, several kilograms of cotton candy and a bag of sugar. I mean, her blood was so sweet and even more energetic than yours,” Fluttershy said hastily as she looked around in multiple random directions.

She grabbed the pegasus with her forelegs and flew upward while her wings flapped at high speed. “I feel so much energy gathering within me and the need to spend it. I know how you love to race, so how about we have one?” Dash opened her mouth to answer, but was not fast enough. “How about a race from here to...” She pointed her forehoof. “Like this mountain over there!”

Dash looked at the pointed direction. “That’s quite a distance if you ask me, wha…” She was dropped as her friend disappeared in a cloud of dust, already hundreds of meters away. Dash shook her head and landed between Pinkie and Vinyl as she asked, “What just happened?”

“Did she drink your blood?” Vinyl asked, catching everypony’s attention.

“Yeah, so,” Dash responded, causing the DJ to laugh. “What’s so funny?”

Vinyl raised her foreleg in a lecturing gesture. “I may not be the smartest thestral around–”

“That’s an understatement,” Octavia commented with a smirk as she received a frown in response.

"As I was saying. I may not be the smartest, but even I know something about how blood affects us. Just yesterday Fluttershy lost lots of her blood in a fight and was starving. And today she sucked the blood of… correct me if I am wrong; the most athletic pegasus in Ponyville and a hyperactive party pony. With such a mix, she could probably make it to Manehattan and return here in less than an hour.”

Rainbow Dash spread her wings as she was about to follow her friend, but Pinkie stopped her by grabbing her tail. “What’re you doing, Pinkie?”

“Isn’t that obvious? It’s time for a party!

***

“Rainbow Dash, where are you?” Fluttershy shouted as she flew all over the area faster than ever before, checking every tree and obstacle. After several minutes of fruitlessly searching, she finally decided to return to her cottage, but something felt wrong. I don’t remember my cottage being painted yellow… and where are the cracks from yesterday’s battle? She slowly approached and opened the door, only for streamers to fly at her face.

Fluttershy’s pupils shrank and mouth was agape. In front of her were: Ditzy with her parents, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Vinyl, Octavia and Pinkie. Even Rainbow Dash’s parents made it all the way from Cloudsdale just for her in the middle of the night. All of them were sitting inside a clean and sparkling redecorated room with banners; reading ‘welcome home’ and ‘you’re not alone’ held in their hooves. All the damaged bird-houses fixed, a new carpet in place of the old and dusty one, walls not cracked and a sizeable newly made table in the middle of the room with a cake on top. All her friends who knew who she was and accepted her were together inside her newly renovated and redecorated room.

For the first time after yesterday’s event, a warm smile grew on her lips that nearly made Pinkie Pie explode from happiness. Fluttershy's wounded heart still had many scars and held many sorrows that wouldn’t go away, but just for today, she felt as if it healed at least a little bit as not a tear of sadness, but tear of joy slid down her cheek.

Fluttershy rubbed her sleepy eyes and slowly opened the casket she had barely been able to bring herself inside. Spending time with Pinkie had made her feel a bit better. A very small smile graced her lips as she felt happy knowing she gained another friend. One that didn’t care that she was different from others. It was nice to have a new friend... especially since she just lost one.

She felt her depression returning and next bit her lip while her thoughts turned to Applejack. It still tore her up inside to know that her friend was now not only an enemy, but also hated her.

I guess I can’t blame her. She’s been taught to hate ponies like me. I guess I’ll just have to get used to it, thought Fluttershy.

She exited her chambers and was about to make a stop to the bathroom to freshen up when she heard knocking coming from the door. Curious, she walked over and peeked into the eyehole, only to gasp in shock. “A-Applejack?” she muttered before pressing her back against the door.

Why is she here? Did the thestrals from Canterlot return to check on us? Does she want to yell at me more?

“Fluttershy? Can Ah come in?! Ah need to talk to ya!”

Fluttershy gulped before opening the door with a trembling forehoof. Applejack, pawing the ground, was looking down at her hooves with sorrow in her eyes as she slowly raised her head. “Can... can Ah come in?”

“Well...”

Fluttershy’s answer was soon halted by a carrot that was thrown at the huntress which knocked her back a bit. Both ponies looked at Angel, noticing various angry animals by his side glaring at Applejack. The farm mare backed away, not wanting to be stampeded on by a bunch of animals who clearly were upset that she had attacked their caretaker.

Fluttershy, thankfully, got between the two and stared at her animal friends. “Everyone! That is not how we treat guests! I know you’re upset, but Applejack isn’t going to harm me.” At least physically. “So please, be on your best behavior!”

The animals all muttered to each other before retreating back to their beds. Only Angel refused to move and stared at the huntress, his eyes glowing red as he stroked his paw across his neck. Applejack, although disturbed by this, nodded.

Thinking it was best to take the talk outside, Fluttershy shut the door behind her and faced Applejack. However, as soon as this happened, she was immediately hugged. Much to her confusion. “Apple... jack?”

“Ah’m sorry...” she muttered as tears began to come down her eyes. She hugged her harder and rested her head on her shoulder. “Ah’m sorry for everythin’! Hurtin’ ya and all that... callin’ ya a monster... Ah’m so sorry!”

“Applejack,” whispered Fluttershy, who felt both relaxed and confused at the same time. What happened to the huntress who was telling her to stay out of her life? “You don’t have to...”

“Ah do!” the farm mare shouted, looking at Fluttershy with misty eyes. “Ah didn’t want to believe ya, even after all ya did for me. Ah wanted to think that ya were deceiving me, but even a blind pony can see that yer good. Yer not like them purebloods Ah grew up listenin’ about. Ya saved mah life. Mah family. All because ya wanted to see us safe.” Applejack fell to her haunches and gave a small smile. “Ah lied to mahself when Ah called ya a monster. Yer mah friend.”

Fluttershy felt her own heart skip a beat as the words echoed in her mind. Friend. She was still Applejack’s friend. At long last she let loose a cry of joy and smiled before tackling her friend. The void she had held in her heart was soon replaced with content. The huntress Applejack was still her friend, even after knowing everything about her. She was still her friend.

***

Applejack only hugged her back and relaxed as well. The doubt plaguing her heart was now gone. It didn’t seem like the right thing, but it felt like the right thing. A hunter’s friends with a vampony, a pureblood no less? Miracles do happen.

Author's Note:

I really didn't want to rush AJ's redemption and Fluttershy's recovery, and I am unsure if this chapter isn't resolving/weakening those conflicts too quickly. I am looking forward to your feedback, and don't hesitate to point out of this chapter isn't having too quick pacing.

List of editors:
Alticron
GMZ_Casper

PreviousChapters Next