• Published 1st Nov 2015
  • 7,380 Views, 1,095 Comments

Path of Kindness and Blood - CommanderX5



Fluttershy was a very kind pureblood vampony who suffered a terrible tragedy. Will she find a place to call home in Ponyville? Will it be filled with friendship and acceptance, or will she face fear and hostility?

  • ...
19
 1,095
 7,380

PreviousChapters Next
Friend or Foe - Winona

Path of Kindness and Blood

-

Chapter 5

Friend or Foe

Part 1 - Winona

2 months after Rarity’s transformation

Applejack’s POV

***

Applejack galloped like there was no tomorrow. Her breathing was labored, but she didn’t dare to take a break. Her speed increased the moment Fluttershy’s cottage came into view. She turned her head towards the passenger on her back. “Hold on there Winona, we’re almost there, don’cha dare leave me now!”

The dog didn’t bark in response as she slowly closed her eyes. Her head pressed against her owner’s back while her thin legs hung from the sides motionlessly.

“Consarnit,” Applejack cursed as the rain was barely hiding her tears. “Help!” she shouted with all strength she had.

After a mere few seconds, the door to the cottage opened, revealing a confused pegasus who quickly raised her foreleg towards her mouth. Her ears tilted to the side while her face became pale. She quickly stepped back and gestured inside of her home.

Applejack didn’t stop running until she was inside, her wet fur and muddy hooves dirtied the floor. Much to her surprise, the pegasus quickly grabbed pillows from Angel’s basket and placed them on a sofa, only to do the same with Winona. “We were–” Applejack tried to explain the situation, but was quickly silenced by Fluttershy’s serious stare, something she’s never seen before. Ever.

The pegasus wasn’t bothered in the slightest by the small bleeding wounds that covered the farm mare as she spoke in a demanding tone, “Was the claw or sting poisoned? How much time has passed since this happened?”

“Chimera's claw struck her belly while the snake’s tail got her leg. Ah gave her antidote, but she–”

“I’m low on clean water and fresh bandages. Bring me ten bottles and two bandage rolls from the town. I should have all herbs and medical equipment in my supply closet,” she said before pointing at the opened door. “Please, hurry.”

Applejack nodded and galloped back into the rain. Despite the battle wounds she received and aching muscles after running for so long, she wasn't going to blow her only chance to save Winona.

Days had passed as Applejack, covered in bandages, waited with her family. Those were very hard days. Apple Bloom openly cried as she asked if Winona will be alright, to which Applejack responded that she trusts Fluttershy in what she was doing. With the gloomy atmosphere, both the farm mare and her brother didn’t feel like working too much in the field while anxiety rarely left their faces. From time to time, one of the family members would come to the cottage and their mood improved with each visit. Each time assured that Winona would survive as the dog slept peacefully in Fluttershy’s bed with a bandage covering her abdomen and leg.

“Winona!” Applejack shouted in glee. Her smile was as large as the day when she beat Dash in The Most Daring Pony competition. Who would have thought that the brave pegasus was afraid of something as silly as a hooficure? While Applejack was never a fan of spa as it was something Rarity was obsessed with, she didn’t mind a hooficure if it means showing Dash who’s the boss. Today however, her attention was focused on Winona. A dog she loved and cared for dearly, the pet who worked by her side for many years. Applejack could barely hold her tears when her dog jumped from Fluttershy’s hold and started to lick her face, finally awake after three days of deep sleep. “Ah just… Ah just can’t thank ya enough.”

“There’s no need to thank me. The poor dear was badly injured and I couldn’t let her suffer.”

The licking lasted for several seconds until Applejack calmed Winona down a bit. She rubbed the dog behind her ears and next did the same with her exposed belly, sinking her strong orange hoof into the soft fur as Winona just fidgeted from her lying position. Slowly raising her head, the farm mare focused on the pegasus whose heart seemed to warm up by just watching their reunion. “Ah thought that Ah lost her. Yer a miracle worker, sugarcube.”

“I… I just did my best. Helping and taking care of animals, that’s what I do…” Fluttershy said hesitantly before hiding her blush of embarrassment behind her mane. “Just make sure she’s well fed and drinks a lot of water, and try to keep her away from hard work or any sort of stress for a few days. She’ll need some more time before she can start working again.”

Applejack nodded. “Will do. Ah’ll give her the rest and care she deserves.”

The pegasus smiled before kneeling to the playful dog, who licked her on the forehead. “I’m glad you’re feeling better now. Please don’t overstrain yourself from now on.” The dog barked firmly, before licking Fluttershy’s muzzle. “I need to go now,” she added. Yet the moment Fluttershy raised her head, a soft whimpering reached her ear. “Don’t worry. I’ll be back to check on you tomorrow, but for now I have to go.” She looked up at the farm mare and bowed her head politely before turning around, her foreleg lifted to make the first step back home. “Take care.”

Applejack quickly jumped towards the pegasus and placed a hoof on her shoulder. “Where do ya think yer goin’, Fluttershy?”

“To my cottage…”

Applejack shook her head. “Ah’ll have none of that. Ya saved Winona’s life and took care of her for the past three days. And now after all ya did for us, sugarcube, yer just gonna leave?” She quickly pulled the pegasus and pointed at her barn. “Yer not goin’ anywhere without dinner with mah family and a proper reward.”

“You really don’t have to,” Fluttershy responded, but she was clearly ignored as Applejack pulled her along.

***

“... and now Winona’s healthy again, all thanks to Fluttershy,” Applejack finished the story before taking another bite of her half finished apple pie. Big Mac, Apple Bloom, and Granny Smith looked at the guest with a large smile, who at this point was hiding under the dining table.

Much to Fluttershy’s surprise, Apple Bloom jumped from her haybale seat in her direction. The pegasus flinched in surprise and hit her head while the filly embraced her neck. “Thank you, thank you so much!” She took a quick breath and added, “Winona’s like part of the family, and ya saved her life!”

Applejack looked at the pegasus who emerged from under the table with a neck decoration made of Apple Bloom. It wasn’t the first time she was thankful to Fluttershy as they both had some years of business-related relationships with each other. While the pegasus often bought a large amount of supplies from her to feed her animals, she often checked the health of the farm’s chickens, sheeps, and cows.

Being able to communicate with animals helped the farmer deal with the critter’s problems on multiple occasions. Applejack rubbed her chin. Now that Ah think about it, she barely comes outside of her cottage an’ avoids pony folk like fire, but she never refused to help. The way she acted three days ago, when Winona was ‘bout to die, Ah never knew her from this side.

Granny Smith spoke, “Ah must agree, ya saved an Apple, and it’s somethin’ Ah won’t forget. If ya ever find yerself in a jam, ya can count on us.” She placed a hoof on her guest’s shoulder who shivered upon the contact.

“Eeyup,” Big Mac added with a slow nod.

The pegasus was sweating like a fountain as she looked between the old mare and the muscular giant. She opened her mouth on several occasions, only to close it a moment later as she was being assaulted by smiles and praises.

“Fluttershy,” Applejack said, gaining her friend’s and family’s attention. “Ah just figured somethin’. Ya’ve been mah friend for so long, and Ah barely know anythin’ about’cha. We should spend more time together to get to know each other better.”

“It… it’s not necessary,” she responded in panic while walking backward. Ready to retreat at any moment.

“Ah insist!”

“Wait a minute,” Apple Bloom said, her smile widening. “Does this mean what Ah think it means?”

Applejack stood up to her rear hooves and shouted cheerfully, “Picnic, campfire, and games in the field, all day long!

Granny Smith and Big Mac gave Applejack a hearty smile as if it was a road trip all over again. Fluttershy was about to politely refuse, but her mouth once again failed to produce any words, silenced by a filly’s energetic jumping. Apple Bloom looked at the guest with smile of her own as her teeth shined in Fluttershy’s face.

How could she say no to that?

***

Bonk

The horseshoe didn’t even reach half the distance as the pegasus barely stood on her shaking legs. Apple Bloom was stroking Fluttershy’s foreleg in a comforting gesture while looking at her with a mixture of concern and pity.

Applejack rubbed the back of her neck. It’s harder than Ah thought. Rarity tried the spa and fancy stuff, Dash did her best too, but that mare just can’t loosen up. The farm mare looked around at the field of trees while taking a deep breath to clear her mind as she analyzed the situation. The warm welcoming dinner didn’t work. Racing was a failure. Push ups and weightlifting went even worse, and by some miracle, Fluttershy managed to lose to Apple Bloom. Not that her younger sister wasn’t strong, being an Apple and all, but how can a mare lift less than a filly? Even non-athletic activity like singing just resulted in Fluttershy hiding behind a tree.

Applejack facehooved when a horseshoe thrown by Fluttershy hit Big Mac in the head. Surely aiming was not something the shy pegasus could be proud off. Think, think... Applejack’s thoughts were interrupted by barking. She looked to the side, quickly noticing Winona whose attention was focused on the playing family.

“Winona, what are ya doin’ here? Ah thought Ah told’ya to rest.” After another bark directed towards the playing ponies, she added, “Ya wanna play with us? Ain’t sure you’re healthy enough…” she paused as idea crossed her mind. Wait a darn minute. When Ah brought Winona to Fluttershy, she acted differently. That’s it. “Ah changed mah mind. Let’s play.”

Applejack galloped towards the group with the dog by her side. Winona quickly sat and curled her forelegs in pleading gesture while her attention focused on the horseshoe in Fluttershy’s hoof. A few quick barks left her mouth.

“Oh, you want to catch it?” Fluttershy asked as she presented the horseshoe. After receiving another bark, she smiled and threw it a significant distance. The dog grabbed it between her teeth and quickly returned to Fluttershy, who rubbed her head and neck. “You’re a good doggy, yes you are.” She looked at Apple Bloom and asked, her voice filled with confidence. “Do you maybe have a frisbee? Horseshoes are a bit too hard and heavy to play game like this.”

The filly quickly nodded as she ran to towards the house while Applejack chuckled. Why didn’t Ah think’a that in the first place?

***

The sun was slowly disappearing behind the apple-tree filled horizon as the sky turned bronze. It wouldn’t be long before twilight as Applejack, Big Mac, and Granny Smith sat around a burning campfire with few buckets of water by their side. The camping was relatively safe, but after the last incident involving Apple Bloom and a bundle of sticks, they didn’t want to take chances. With marshmallows on each stick in their hooves, they waited for the missing trio.

A noise coming from behind the trees captured their attention before Fluttershy jumped into an open area. “First!” she shouted in a gentle voice while a pack of marshmallows fell to the ground. The farm mare was about to ask about Apple Bloom and Winona, but they arrived a few seconds later.

“Ah can’t believe ya beat me,” Apple Bloom said with an accusing hoof directed at the pegasus. “A few hours ago ya barely kept up, and now,” she took a quick breath, “ya outran me and Winona without wings and yer not even tired!”

The pegasus smiled awkwardly while rubbing her left foreleg. “Oh… I, umm… I got into… the spirit of things.” She looked at the dimming horizon sun. “And it’s no longer so hot. I don’t like sunny days too much, the heat was tiring me.”

The missing trio approached the campfire as marshmallow eating commenced. With a setup like this, there was just one thing left to do. ”Scary story time!” Applejack suggested as loud cheer followed.

Fluttershy took a step back as hers grin flipped. Her ears flattened and eyelids shrunk, ending with a hesitant gulp. With her forelegs curling, she whispered, “Y-yay…”

A sudden bone chilling tone left Granny Smith’s mouth as she started the story. The upper part of her head was covered in darkness while her muzzle and chin were brightened by light from campfire. “Once upon’a time, there was this here young, pretty mare. She lived in a tiny cottage near a haunted forest while selling herbal remedies for a livin’.”

Fluttershy’s ears perked up as her own cottage came to mind. Her knowledge about herbs from Everfree Forest suddenly making her feel as if she was the main character of the story. She didn’t know if this was intentional or not, but either way she was already doing her best not to look too scared as Granny Smith bolted her eyes and darted towards each of them.

“However, the forest she was’a livin’ in was rumored to be haunted. Because she wasn’t afraid’a ghosts and spirits that resided in the forest, no pony folks dared to go in, some assumed she was one of them monsters herself.”

“M-monster,” Fluttershy said quietly. Why would being friendly with animals of the Everfree Forest make somepony a monster?

Granny Smith stood to her rear hooves and raised her foreleg as if trying to imitate an enraged bear. She made a few growls before continuing, “Few said she was a werepony, but most called her a ‘Bloody Mistress’.”

Fluttershy yelped as she nearly lost her balance on the log she sat on. Bloody Mistress? Is she referring to me? The pegasus gulped as she reasserted herself.

“W-well, what was she? Was she a werepony?” asked Apple Bloom, inching closer to Applejack.

“Were... pony,” Fluttershy murmured while calming her trembling forelegs. She would have been even more scared if the story was about a werepony. Their kind had been enemies for hundreds of years. The tales of how they used to rip thestrals to shreds had caused her to wet her sheets a few times growing up. Thestrals and Wereponies hate each other and are very different, why would anypony mistake those two?

Granny Smith sat on the log and hid her face behind a foreleg before continuing, “As their fear grew, nopony dared to cross her path, afraid of bein’ eaten alive or turned into a ghoul or zombie pony.”

“Z-zombie… pony,” Apple Bloom whispered as the elderly mare tilted her head to the side and exposed her tongue while straightening hers forelegs. She walked around the campfire, moaning in a sinister and eerie tone that made everypony shiver their tails when she walked past them.

“After a while, the doors started closin’ whenever she came int’ah town and nopony had the courage to buy herbs or sell her any products. Whenever she pled to let her in, a loud; ‘begone monster’ was the response she received. More hungry every passin’ day and unable to buy food, her anger grew as she she climbed a clock tower and declared; ‘If you won’t share your food, I will take it, and all of you will suffer for eternity!’”

Apple Bloom pressed side of her head at Applejack’s belly as hoof landed on her shoulder. The cold wind striking against the leaves echoed in the dead silence.

“From this day, ponies from the town started to disappear. Every night townsfolk would find a corpse, or rather a skeleton, its flesh was eaten as nothin’ but bones remained. Fear grew among the town folks as everypony started to barricade their houses, weapons in every hoof. Every night they failed to capture the monster as barricades were torn apart. Bones of ponies still appeared at the entrance to the town.”

Granny gulped some water from bucket next to her and continued, “The enraged townsfolk put the blame on Bloody Mistress and went to finish her off once and for all. The mob approached the tiny cottage, pitchforks and torches in their mouths, wings and magic. And when they finally arrived…”

The silence lasted for several seconds as Apple Bloom asked fearfully from her sister’s embrace, “W-what happened next, Granny?”

The elderly mare laughed maniacally. “The cottage was empty outside of several herbs and books. In their anger, they burned it to the ground as only ashes remained. They spread into different directions, searchin’ for Bloody Mistress everywhere… everywhere besides the haunted forest.”

“They entered the forest, right Granny?” Applejack asked, quickly receiving a firm nod.

“They faced the spirits and burned trees, but their search was fruitless, at least until the night came. With the moon shinin’ brightly on the sky, the angered mob encountered Bloody Mistress standin’ in their path. There was no place for words as pitchforks went at her like spears, impalin’ her body. But the dark pony shook it off with a dark chuckle, her fur grew in size, teeth became longer and sharp claws replaced her hooves.”

Ever since that night, the poor souls of murdered villagers haunted the forest, while the Bloody Mistress built a new cottage on the ashes of the old one.” Granny shoot Fluttershy an accusing glare. “Waitin’ for new victims.”

After a long silence, Applejack and Big Mac started to clap their hooves while Apple Bloom left her sister’s embrace and jumped from the log she was sitting on. She spread her forelegs in excitement and said, “That was the scaries’ story I ever heard!”

Applejack nodded. “It sure was somethin’, ain’t that right Fluttershy… Fluttershy?” she said before turning towards the pegasus who just sat on her log motionlessly with her head lowered as if she watched her own rear hooves. The farm mare approached as she could pick up shaking of Fluttershy’s legs while weak sounds of whimpering reached her ears.

The farm mare placed her hoof gently on Fluttershy shoulder who flinched in response. Applejack looked at her friend with concern, wondering if the story was overwhelming for her fragile nature. “Shhh… no need to be scared. Ah mean, it was meant to be a scary story… but it was just a story.”

Much to her surprise, Fluttershy stood up from the log she was sitting on and said coldly, “I think I overstayed my welcome, I’ll be on my way.” She wiped her face with a hoof and bowed politely. “Thank you for your warm welcome and hospitality. I wish you all goodnight.” She turned around and walked away.

The dog quickly followed. “No, Winona, you need to stay here.” The dog whimpered and pleaded for the pegasus to play more with her with pleading look. “I’m sorry, but I have to go. I have other critters to take care of as well,” she said before rubbing Winona behind her ear. “I’ll visit you tomorrow. Take care.”

The dog’s ears went back against her head while Applejack and Apple Bloom followed, quickly catching up with the pegasus. Meanwhile, Big Mac shot Granny a disappointed glare, who responded by looking at the campfire with a sad smile.

“Do ya really have to go?” Apple Bloom asked from Fluttershy’s left side. Applejack approached from the right.

“Ah’m sorry if that story scared ya,” Applejack apologised, but was clearly ignored as the pegasus kept walking with her head lowered. “Are ya sure ya can’t stay a tad bit longer?”

“I’m sorry…” was all that left Fluttershy’s mouth.

Applejack rubbed her neck. “Well, Ah don’t wanna keep ya. Thanks for the time ya spent with us, I guess.”

“It was kinda fun,” Apple Bloom added before turning around as she walked towards the campfire. “Goodnight, Fluttershy.”

Applejack escorted Fluttershy to the main gate, and as they approached it, she spoke, “Ah almost forgot ta’ pay ya.” She passed Fluttershy and sat in front of her while taking out a small bag. “Ah know fifty bits ain’t much for savin’ Winona’s life, but it should cover the cost of supplies. Once Ah earn more–”

“You don’t have to,” Fluttershy responded as she gently pushed Applejack’s hoof holding the bag to the side. “You’re already giving me discounts for your products, I don’t need any bits.”

Applejack’s expression hardened. “Ah insist!” she said with demand, but quickly calmed herself at sight of her friend’s depression. “Discount for mah products is just business. Ya buy a lot regularly, and yer help with farm animals and vermin helped mah farm. Those bits are for savin’ mah dog.”

Fluttershy sighed. “I understand, but I don’t need those bits. Inviting me for dinner was payment enough.”

Applejack frowned as she wanted to press the issue. It was, after all, a matter of pride. She couldn’t let somepony save her dog, and go away empty hoofed. She closed her mouth as quickly as it opened though, her friend’s obvious mood extinguished her determination. Maybe Ah better leave this talk fer later. This scary story shook ‘er as much as Ah shake apple trees when buckin’.

Applejack stepped to the side and wished her friend a good night before she looked at the mailbox. Since she was at the entrance, she could at least check the mail. As she opened the compartment, one letter in particular captured her attention. A letter with no returning address.

She picked it up with her mouth and ran into her home before placing the letter on the table. After a moment of searching in the basement, she found and opened a casket with a blue gem shining inside. Once she placed the gem on the table and next to an unrolled letter, the illumination from the gem revealed hidden text on a nearly empty page.

To our valuable huntress, Applejack.

Our investigation team confirmed your theory that the earthquake which caused Ponyville’s spa to collapse was not natural. After a long investigation, we found that it was caused by dark magic, most likely by an earth pony turned-vampony.

We did not want to bother you with the details until we had found more data and a location of the one responsible, but while doing so, we’ve discovered more vampony activity near Ponyville, and possibly inside the town as well.

One of our agents confirmed that a vampony was spotted entering the Everfree Forest, but lost it as he was unfamiliar with the area and was forced to retreat due to the hostile environment.

Considering your profile, knowledge of the Everfree Forest, and your past achievements, we are glad to inform you that your mission to hunt the chimera is aborted. Your new orders are simple: Research the forest, locate the vampony, and if possible, follow it to its hideout or interrogate for information, and finally, eliminate.

Guild Representative, Captain Chains.

Applejack rolled the letter and threw it into the fireplace. After ensuring that the revealing gem is once again well hidden in the basement, she pushed a barrel of apple cider to the side. With the secret passage now in the open, she took a lamp filled with fireflies and opened it as she went down the ladder into the center of a large, darkened room.

Applejack looked around. On her left were a few crossbows attached to the wall with boxes filled with bolts under it. On the right were claws, knives and blades attached to metal bracelets. Behind her were several types of gems filled with all kinds of magic as well as rounded bombs, from explosive to smoke. Finally, in front of her were a few sets of armor, camouflage uniforms and flameproof boots long enough to protect legs up to the knee.

She smirked and said to herself, “Such a pity Ah have no time to tear that chimera apart for what she did to Winona. But impalin’ some vamponies who dare to feed in my town comes first.”

She quickly put on a stealth cloak and a mask with goggles to hide her identity from her potential target. A short crossbow was hidden in a large pocket under her cloak while enchanted silver bolts were in a quiver on her back. Two silver blades with bracelets made of titanium ended attached to her forehooves. The blades themselves were locked in place until activated by a switch, they were easily concealable and quite effective.

Battle ready and determined, Applejack looked at the pictures on the walls, pictures representing some of her ancestors in their prime. Her attention focused on Big Mac’s and her own picture. While hunting for big, slow targets, she always depended on Big Macintosh, who a year ago eliminated a manticore. Smaller and faster targets was her speciality. Finally Applejack looked at pictures of her mom and dad, proud hunters who once assisted in an operation against a powerful pureblood vampony and never came back. Now it was her turn to face those despicable monsters, and she was not going to fail.

Author's Note:

List of editors:
ShipIsLove ShipIsLife
Alticron
Rated Ponystar

PreviousChapters Next