• Published 31st Oct 2015
  • 8,823 Views, 538 Comments

Perspective - Orpheon



Sunset finds herself without purpose as graduation reaches Canterlot High's most famous class. Uncertain about what she wants and unfulfilled, she agrees to try a change of perspective.

  • ...
20
 538
 8,823

Decision, Discussion

Morning found Sunset and Twilight sitting blearily in a smaller dining room with Celestia, a modest breakfast of bran muffins before them. Sunset yawned, her jaw stretching so far that she felt it pop uncomfortably; she paid it no mind as she gingerly nibbled at the pastry she could only barely see with eyes open just enough to get a vague sense of what was before her. Twilight sat opposite her, practically slumped on the table. Sunset stifled a chuckle; it seemed even the prospect of sitting with Princess Celestia wasn't enough to conquer her incompatibility with early starts.

The eldest alicorn for her part seemed to be quite ready to face the day, immaculately clean and regal before she even had anything on her schedule. Sunset wondered distantly if being the keeper of the sun at all affected Celestia's circadian rhythm; it wasn't inconceivable, after all. She sat up as the facts she knew started returning to her, the mental exercise helping her wake up faster. In all the time she'd known the Princess, she'd never seen her ever display anything like Twilight's lethargy, at least not during the morning. Her mind spun, numbers and calculations coming to her despite her sleepiness as she put a hoof to her chin, considering...and then she noted the mare herself giving her a quietly amused look.

“....what?” Sunset flushed, the sensation of having been caught dancing badly coming to mind. Celestia raised an eyebrow, smile still present as she asked,

“Something on your mind, Sunset?”

“I...uh...well...” Sunset blinked slowly. A dawning (and awkward) realization hit her: Celestia was right there. She could've just asked her. She winced visibly as she replied, “N-no...nothing. Just remembered something embarrassing.”

“Oh? Do tell, I would love to hear more on your time in--”

A high-pitched keening from the other end of the dining hall interrupted her as a fiery blur swooped into the room, making a beeline right for the eldest Princess. Sunset noticed Celestia roll her eyes, an unusual gesture of open exasperation.

The shape resolved itself into a sleek avian profile, landing on the table before them with a final flap of its wings sending a wave of warm air over the trio. A pair of narrow, shining eyes peered inquisitively behind a proud hooked beak, a thin crest flaring slightly as the bird took in Sunset.

Sunset blinked, a disbelieving smile splitting her face as the bird awkwardly trundled over her plate of muffins and warbled at the pony cheerfully.

“Is that Philomena?”

Celestia allowed herself a chuckle as the phoenix gave an impressive hop, landing atop Sunset's heretofore orderly mane and whistling a song with no rhythm as she rubbed her beak all over the pony's head. Sunset giggled, raising a hoof to gently pet the bird.

“I missed you too, girl!” Philomena squawked as she craned her head down to look Sunset in the eyes, tilting her head and nipping gently at her snout.

Twilight seemed to have roused herself at the sight of the phoenix, rubbing an eye and turning to Celestia. “I guess it would make sense that Sunset would know Philomena...how long have you owned her, if you don't mind me asking? Is she older than either of us?”

“Oh, Philomena isn't quite that old.” Celestia replied airily, crossing her hooves before her with a mysterious smile. She enjoyed the sudden furrowing of Twilight's brow as the lavender mare began thinking. “Ask Sunset.”

Sunset started as Twilight turned to her, stopping mid-stroke as she ran a hoof down the bird's back while she crooned contentedly. “Eh? Oh! Ah, yeah.” She smiled softly, a wistful, nostalgic look on her face. “When the Princess made me her student, one of the first tasks I was entrusted with was the care of a phoenix egg, to help teach me responsibility.” She giggled as the phoenix cooed at her, perhaps smugly. “The egg hatched into Philomena here...Celestia let me keep her, so long as I took care of her. Let me tell you, the first time she molted was terrifying.”

Sunset paused, looking to Celestia with an unreadable expression. “You kept her? All this time?”

The question apparently took the Diarch aback, surprise registering in her slightly widened eyes.

“Of course I did, Sunset. Why wouldn't I? It wasn't as though she would be at all to blame for any of our disagreements, and I was sure you hadn't meant to abandon her. I had hoped that you would return eventually. And you did!” Celestia smiled, looking to the bird. “She's been a dear friend, though she is a bit of a prankster.”

Sunset's face was pensive as she looked down at Philomena, who fixed the pony with an expectant look.

“Thank you, Princess Celestia.” Sunset felt a knot in her heart, a fresh locus of guilt forming. It was overridden with a tingling warmth that had only partially to do with the phoenix currently cuddling up against her chest.


The light of day made the conference room seem somehow less intimidating, Sunset found. The fact that they were coming in with all the cards on the table probably helped, she mused. It was a weight off her shoulders. The problem with keeping secrets was that even a single one could stretch out into a long, extended web if the situation turned unfavorable and you weren't consistent with whom you told or didn't tell.

Sunset noted the blackened table and hole burned in the carpet where she'd stood and winced...but in her defense, that had been the Princess, not her.

Twilight took up a seat next to her and inhaled, seemingly gathering her mind. Sunset smiled wryly as she recognized the nervous energy coursing in her form, all fidgety and looking about for something, anything to distract her.

“Bit for your thoughts?”

“Eh? O-oh, I'm just...” Twilight paused, trying to find the right words. “I'm trying to prepare myself, I guess? I mean, even though we discussed this, it doesn't change that nothing's really set in stone until everypony is in accord. I just hope Princess Celestia is agreeable, though I don't see why she wouldn't be.” She hesitated before speaking again. “...Sunset, are you sure?”

Sunset grinned, displaying a confidence that she did not at all feel inside. “I'm...I'm sure. I've made my decision.”

“If you want to change your mind, I won't judge you or be mad, Sunset. I want you to be happy.” Twilight said, her face conflicted. “I...I know I don't seem like it, but I really will respect your decision, if it's what you really want.”

Sunset's heart swelled, but a tang of guilt seemed to cling to it at the idea of making Twilight sad. “Trust me, Twilight. This is...well, I THINK this is the right decision.”

“You THINK?” Twilight cupped her own face in her hooves, anxiety coming to her face. “Oh, Sunset!”

“H-hey! Relax! I've thought about this really hard, we talked about it!” Sunset raised a hoof placatingly. “Please, Twilight. Just...trust me, okay?”

Twilight's agonized expression didn't really do anything to reinforce her nod. Sunset swallowed involuntarily; I shouldn't have said anything, now I'M nervous.

The door opening behind them grabbed their attention. Princess Luna walked in first, nodding to the pair cordially. Sunset noted that she seemed more tired than normal; the princess of the night didn't have quite the usual hawk-like alertness she'd come to associate with her. With a soft sigh, Luna settled down across the table and closed her eyes as though listening for something.

A moment later, Celestia appeared, her expression set in the usual polite interest that she favored when she wanted to keep a straight face (which was all the time, Sunset remembered). She glanced at her guards, who nodded respectfully and closed the door behind her, presumably taking up positions outside. The Diarch herself settled down in the same place she had been in the previous night. Again, Sunset was struck by how different the chamber was during the day when the occupants weren't anxious. She didn't seem at all fazed by the blackened wood only a few inches to her side, tenting her hooves thoughtfully as she closed one eye.

“Well, here we are again. I believe that there's much to do, so perhaps we should dispense with pleasantries and get down to the brass tacks, as it were.” She looked to Sunset as she placed her hooves back on the floor, an expectant look in her eyes. “Sunset, you have the floor, as its your decision that we're here to...hear.” Celestia allowed herself a small smile as Luna rolled her eyes.

Sunset nodded, taking a shuddering breath. Her heart felt queasy, if that was the right word for it. It was as though her stomach could drop to her hooves at any moment. She could feel Celestia's eyes boring into her.

No turning back, she thought to herself. This is the choice you've made.

“I...I want to stay.”

The Diarchs before her sat up, Celestia's polite smile becoming more genuine as she exhaled softly.

Sunset paused a moment, taking a breath, and continued,

“I want to stay in Equestria...but I don't want the portal to be closed.”

Luna's expression became inquisitive as Celestia's eyes narrowed only very slightly. The bizarre sensation of abandon that came from having already said too much came far too early for this conversation, Sunset mused internally, but here they were anyway.

“The portal should be watched over, that much I can agree with. But I don't want the friendships I have, the memories we've made together, to be ignored in that figuring.” She found herself speaking with a conviction she wasn't sure she was showing on her face. “I do want to stay in Equestria if you'll allow me to, but not at the cost of never seeing my friends again.”

Celestia was silent for a moment, her eyes never leaving Sunset as her words were digested. Sunset decided to try to preserve what momentum she had, continuing,

“My friends might be a world away, but they're amazing ponies--er, people. Yeah, we had a rough start,” she allowed, a sardonic smile on her face as Twilight grinned at her, “but we came so far together. I'll allow going through the motions of school again wasn't very exciting, but it was still a new experience, having po--people who cared and who I cared about. I'm not going to throw that away.”

Sunset glanced to Twilight and back to Celestia, her jaw set.

“It flies in the face of friendship. I won't do that, wings or not. It's not worth it.”

There was a yawning silence. Luna tented her hooves, a smile behind them as she scrutinized Sunset. For some reason, this smile made her as nervous as Celestia's naked disapproval, but she wasn't entirely sure why. The elder alicorn inhaled, her expression pensive as she thought.

“...A fair point, Sunset Shimmer. It wouldn't be in keeping with friendship. But how can you be sure the portal will be safe?”

“I can't.” Sunset responded simply. Celestia's face turned stony, as though she had expected that answer. “There's no way of guaranteeing something bad doesn't happen and the portal doesn't end up being found out by someone as inquisitive and less kind than Twilight Sparkle. The human world's instance of her, I mean. But it's been there, opening once every thirty moons for as long as the statue has been there, at least. You've had it for at least since I was a student of yours, and according to Twilight that would have been ten-ish years ago in Equestria. Did anything bad come out of it since I went through it, or before I went into it?”

“..I would not say so, no.” Celestia responded. Sunset furrowed her brow at the noncommittal answer, but nodded and continued.

“Alright then. So why close it now, when it could be better protected than it ever has been?”

Celestia didn't respond immediately. Sunset felt a growing nervous gnawing in her stomach as the Princess seemed to stare right through her.

“Ignorance is a protection all its own, Sunset Shimmer. Sometimes putting something under guard only serves to illustrate that it's worth guarding.” She spoke with the confidence of long experience as she continued, “After so many have been witness to the portal and the creatures that come from beyond it, after all that has come from it and the crises that rose from it, can you say it will go untroubled?”

“The only person who came inquiring after the Battle of the Bands was Twilight and we definitely weren't at all low-key about that particular fiasco.” Sunset countered. “The Friendship Games were a competition between two schools and any damage therein was limited to school grounds. If we didn't get more scrutiny after the the Sirens came calling then we're probably fine.”

Twilight chose this moment to interject, saying, “It really was pretty...ostentatious during our battle with them. It's hard to really explain in words.”

Celestia closed her eyes, a hum of thought in her throat.

“...so, you won't stay unless the portal stays open?”

“I didn't say that.” Sunset answered, a smile on her face. “I want...I want you to trust me. If you want to trust me with a crown, I'm asking you to trust me with that door.”

“It would be quite odd for you to trust me, of all ponies, with so much as soon as I had returned with my first act being one of imprisoning you and attempting to cloak Equestria in night eternal,” Luna remarked dryly, “And not extending the same courtesy to your former student.”

Celestia frowned as she looked to her sister. “Luna, that's a different matter...”

“How so?” Luna pressed, her eyes hard. “You place great stock in assessing a matter as is; the only real difference between us is the scale of our offenses. Truly, one might accuse you of being too quick to overlook my actions, for which I am grateful.” her gaze softened for a bit, a smile gracing her features, before turning cold again, “But it does not change my actions or exonerate me that you are my sister.”

“Princess Celestia...I know you didn't want me to come with Sunset to this meeting, but I did it anyway. I think that's...well, it's one of the few times I think I've ever disobeyed a direct request from you. At least deliberately.” Twilight chuckled nervously. “But even I find your reluctance to keep the portal open a bit strange. You've allowed me to keep it in my home, to experiment with it and examine it. If you thought it was so dangerous, why did you allow me to do that?”

Celestia turned to Twilight, a note genuine surprise on her face as the smaller mare spoke. “I...”

“Princess. Please.” Sunset pleaded, her heart warming at the support from the other ponies. She could see Celestia's indecision as she thought; she wasn't used to being argued with, it seemed. Sunset wryly noted in a corner of her mind that in the ten years since she had gone there might not have been many ponies who openly questioned her to her face. Anxiety swelled again as Celestia closed her eyes and breathed in, at this point her obvious re-centering gesture.

“...I...I will trust you, Sunset Shimmer.” Celestia answered. A wave of relief crashed on Sunset, making her settle on to her cushion and beam at the alicorn. “It may be that my remark to you last night about being too controlling still stands.” She noted, amusement in her voice.

Celestia cleared her throat and added,

“I must ask that you at least let us know when you decide to visit the other world. Please.”

Twilight and Sunset shared a look, a wry smile on the former's face. Sunset grinned in response.

“Well then!” Luna said loudly, conspicuously stifling a yawn as she did, “I would hazard a guess that our most pressing issue is then solved. Perhaps now we can adjourn?”

“Not yet, Sister dearest.” Celestia responded, her voice saccharine in a way that made Sunset feel a kernel of nervousness in her heart. “There remains much to decide.” There was something distressing about hearing the Princess speak in antiquated linguistics, but that could perhaps be attributed to only hearing her speak that way when she was upset.

Luna grimaced. “But Sister, I truly am tired. Can we not settle these things closer to nightfall?” The younger ponies glanced at one another, taken aback by the sheer...petulance of the lunar Diarch's voice. Sunset wondered if the sheer reverence Equestria had for their rulers wasn't very, very misplaced some days. She was torn from her wonder when Celestia spoke authoritatively,

“No, Luna. The sooner these things are arranged, the sooner they will be done. There's no need to dawdle about when we're all present and awake. Mostly.” She amended with a small smile to Luna, who was giving her a dark look. “Now then, about the ceremony itself...”

Author's Note:

Kept you waiting, huh?

Man it's good to be back. The past several months have been a blur of shenanigans left and right; seemed like every time I sat down to write something else demanded my attention. There just aren't enough hours in the day! Even when I did sit down, I found myself struck by a sense that I was trying to stretch something too far, that I was attempting to pad something that was essentially complete (which was untrue; I was just rather full of myself, retrospectively).

To that end, here's a (very) short chapter to get back in the swing of things! I'm going to try to start peeling apart this tangled mess of a story, to separate the threads into stories of their own from here on out. Aborted arcs may be blamed squarely on me and my horrid lack of foresight, but the majority of them WILL be addressed in forthcoming stories. You've all helped me learn and grow as a writer over this long time together, and I hope you'll stick with me as we wrap this particular tale up!

LET'S RIDE ON, FRIENDS

Comments ( 52 )

Apropos of nothing, the thumbnail of the story image on the front page looked like Sunset Shimmer as a gryphon to me.

It's back :pinkiegasp: :pinkiehappy:.

It's back! It's back! It's back!

Woohoo an update! Hope to see more soon.:yay:

yay its back ! :twilightsmile:

I'm thinking Celestia's too used to taking on a problem one pony at a time. She started waffling when two alicorns tag-teamed her, and got positively indecisive when Princess Luna chimed in. It seems to me that the younger alicorns might wind up taking away from that meeting a rare piece of wisdom about dealing with Celestia: Never face her alone. She's easier to convince when speaking as a team.

That could also be something she recognizes, on some level as well, since she did ask Twilight to stay back. On some level, she may well have known how little chance she had winning an argument with Sunset around to help Twilight fight her tendency to yield to the elder princess.

Edit: It also occurs to me that given the timeline of this story, Legend of Everfree could still have happened before this story. If so, Sunset would have that pendant. And seeing as how they acted like Elements of Harmony, that would imply Sunset's an Element Bearer now. Considering how much stock Celestia places in the Tree of Harmony, it might also be a really bad idea to close the door if the Tree is openly advancing it's own agenda, whatever that is. Although if the fourth movie did indeed happen before this story, that might be the real reason Celestia is so keen to close the door now. The Tree of Harmony, apparently content to quietly mind its own business, is now suddenly advancing its own goals on Terra, and putting Sunset and her friends squarely in the middle of it. Princess Control-issues might have a problem with that. :pinkiehappy:

yay sunset is staying in equestria. this makes me very happy.

Glad to have you back! Enjoyable chapter with a good wrap up of one thread.

I've read so many sunset stories, I can't remember which one this is. Was still a nice chapter tho. So I will leave this generic response from what little I can remember.

Why doesn't Sunset just kidnap the 'Main 6' in EqG and bring them over to Equestria and then smashing the portal so they can't leave and abandon her? Would be a much more interesting story!

Spacecowboy
Moderator

Yeah. This one totally deserves an upvote. If it wasn't three in the morning I'd probably write out a rather long listing of what I like about what I read here thus far, and what I'm looking forward to now that you're back to working on the story, and do things like bring up questions about said plot arcs present that were used once or twice then dumped to the wayside... but eh, screw it. I think the following sums it up well enough for the moment... Really good, well paced story that is highly enjoyable. Mmm, SunLight~ AliSun, too.

Looking forward to more.

Yay yay yay updates :)
More adorkable SunLight :3

Hey, I do not know if this is on purpose or not, but I really think that you should tatar with the subject of the sirens as soon as possible, this because in the context of history, a long time passed, and they do not have to be Very happy about it.

(Excuse my grammar, English is not my mother tongue)

You're alive! This story is alive! Huzzah! :pinkiehappy:

Now then, about the ceremony itself...

Is that perhaps a wedding ceremony she's talking about?:trollestia:

8088226
First of all :ajbemused: it's spelled "coronation". Second of all I realize it's actually a coronation ceremony she's talking about, I was being sarcastic.

8088432
first of all
the days of good grammar has went
second of all
sarcasm doesn't exist on the internet

8088464
"Well excuuuuse me, Princess."

It's not grammar, it's proper spelling. Grammar is the use of words in proper syntax and sentence structure. If you're going to insult and/or mock me, at least do it properly.

8086380 I have an image of a closeup of Twilight and Sunset's faces as they stare at something in shock. Then it changes to show what looks like an exaggerated fish tank, with three very ticked off Sirens staring through the glass at Celestia. The scene pulls back to show a section of the palace gardens, with ponies walking to and fro.

Celestia: I think they look very decorative, don't you?

<Twilight and Sunset continue to look on in shock for another long moment before Sunset facehoofs...>

Good over all. No major errors, the occasional spelling error, and there were a pair of sentences that I couldn't make heads nor tails out of, but far fewer errors than many of the other stories I've read.

Your Pinkie Pie isn't bad, isn't great, doesn't quite ring true, but at least your not doing the fourth wall jokes or over the top weirdness many other authors fall into.

Things I would've done differently...
Explained things to Ignacious better. They could tell him that these crystals are the latest in a series of not so natural natural disasters.
Explain Sunset's absence and ascension with the truth, or mostly the truth. An experiment gone wrong and she was lost until last year. Since then she's been wrapping up the experiment. True enough, and not exactly weird considering Equestria's history.

Aside from that, let me throw you an idea. This is going to be used in a Tuna fic I'm writing, but if you want to run with it, how about Twilight writing a new decree approved by all the princesses that breaks Equestria into three judicial districts? The impact on ponies is only that they have options other than traveling to Canterlot as each castle will hold a court, with Canterlot being the supreme district and capable of over riding the others.

Any how, keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going.

8088487
grammar is all of the sentence
the spelling the structure and the punctuation
but that is beside the point
the point is you attacked my spelling which was irrelevant to begin with because clearly you understood the word
my reply was because I genualy thought you didn't know
because sarcasm doesn't translate to the written word unless heavily implied with context clues
it's almost entirely tone of voice

so the next time you want to attack someone that's trying to help try shooting a doctor see how far that gets you

8088754
8088487
Alright, you two, take it elsewhere if you're determined to hash this out. I don't want the comments section filled with grammar bickering.

This story is an absolute gem. I hope that you will continue. I binged on it yesterday and it's definitely up there for me with some of the best romance work on the site!

Well, this thing got way out of control, huh? Can't say I would have the story to end up here when I started reading it, and the sprawl of forgotten storylines is growing oppressive. Surely you didn't plan for it to end up this way. Good luck trying to clean it up.

Anyway, this chapter: Above all else, I enjoy the story's psychological complexity and moral quandaries. This particular chapter is way too short to satisfy, and Celestia remains distant, but you've got another solid conflict here, and I enjoy the interplay between the princess sisters. I do feel that what I'd interpreted as Twilight's growing disillusionment with Celestia has reached something of an anticlimax, though. Was expecting something a little more explosive, I guess. Lastly, your argument that humans won't take a mass interest in the portal is... not terribly convincing. I don't like that you introduced this cliche, but what if someone does capture proof? At least you pay a little more lip service to Equestrians discovering it, though not much. It's worth noting that there has been much more danger crossing from Equestria to the human world than vice versa.

Good to have this back, at least; hopefully you keep it under control from here on out. Stick to an outline. I'm honestly not sure why you uploaded this chapter now, given that it cuts off mid-scene, but it's nice to be getting closure.

8089396 Out of control, indeed! But I am going to attempt to prize something loose from all these threads, having learned my lesson on keeping a story on track. At least, I think I have?

I guess my overall thought as far as the portal is that, if after all the shenanigans that have happened around it haven't been discovered by the masses at this point, it seems unlikely that anything horrible is going to come of it. That just seems to be the way the human world operates in EQG; at LEAST two entire student bodies worth of witnesses and the attendant damage to the school's property just aren't newsworthy enough to have federal personnel down in the city (and Cinch's most dire threat was notifying the SCHOOL BOARD OH NO). Maybe that has to do with Principal Celestia's skill at damage control?

Could also be cartoon logic, I suppose. Either way, I did consider exploring that, but it felt awkward and forced, no matter how I revised it...and I've decided that I don't want to spend any more time examining things from the human side of the mirror in this story. I didn't really even want it to have as much time spent in the human world as it has, but again, this can be blamed squarely on my meandering writing. From here on, I'm going to try to tighten the lens and focus on one arc at a time!

TL;DR: You're not wrong, but if after everything a bunch of high schoolers didn't have proof enough to get attention then the human world seems to be just dandy (for now....).

As for the short chapter...I guess you could say it was a bit of a motivational thing. 'Look, everyone! I'm here! We're here! This story is still going!'

8089782 Perhaps installed within the mirror is a small SEP field generator. :)
http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Somebody_Else%27s_Problem_field

8089782 Yeah, I can understand that; it certainly seems like either nobody knows or nobody cares about the portal itself at this point, even if only because nobody would believe it... although, who knows what'll happen going forward. That still doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but a lot of the humans certainly seem to accept it pretty easily.

8088908
don't worry i'm done and wont respond to any more replys

Just binged this story. Very much enjoyed.

Sweet and fluffy SunLight with some interesting drama and mystery. I am looking forward to seeing how it ends. :rainbowkiss:

It would honestly be very interesting to see what became of the Dazzlings. If they died, well, rip, it's better to go free than in a prison. But if not - well, maybe there's a satisfactory ending for them as well.

As for the Human world thing... There's still the whole 'mutual benefit' thing possbility. Humans are... What our world deserves is being cleansed by nuclear fire, but maybe EqG version is a bit better.

Spacecowboy
Moderator

Did a brief reread, there's only a few things you really need to ensure you cover as far as plotlines that sorta came up and got used, then tossed aside.

First, the odd weather phenomenon of natural disasters. What happened during the weeks since Sunset's return and our witness to the hurricane that tried drowning Ponyville? From events you listed, there had to be quite a few more phenomenon that took place.

Secondly, the Dazzlings. They came up, you made a big to-do over them, then Celestia whisked them away and that's all she wrote. You would think Twilight and Sunset would have a hoof in their situation to some degree.

Thirdly, the obsidian stone at the Pie family's residence. The whole anger thing, Twilight having her little breakdown... the stone feels as if its role in the story is not done yet.

It's a fantastic, lovely SunLight story. Those are the big three points that I saw when rereading that need to be addressed though, so hopefully you're already well on your way on figuring it out. And keeping in mind future things, so you don't just use then drop events that are a bit too large to do that with.

Looking forward to more of this story!

just finish reading this story and got to say of what I read I like it.
now sunset u got one more thing to do then you be allow to date twilight, you got to meet her parents......

So, I have to ask... the story says incomplete, but the author's note and comments makes it sound like this one is done and there are multiple planned sequels. How's that going to work?

With respect to the many plotlines, most seem like they could be cleared up just with enough time, though I am a bit confused about the date Twilight and Sunset had. It had weird dreamy timeskips and Luna talked during it, but in the morning everyone acted like it had actually happened. What's up with that?

Either way, congrats on having one of the only Sunset Returns style Sunlight stories on fimfic that survived past the first two chapters. This is a genera with a depressingly high rate of producing deadfics, and regardless of its completion status or narrative consistency, it's really impressive for existing alone. It doesn't hurt that it's an enjoyable read, too. Thank you for writing this.

8294685
The way I read that Author's Note and his last comment, he just said that he's going to try and streamline the various open plot threads more to get them tied up one by one. I don't know where you saw the sequel talk in that. :rainbowderp:

As for the date, it was Sunset remembering the date they had in her dream. A bit confusing at first, but I thought it was well implied. Might be that I was expecting pretty much that twist though. tl;dr the actual date was skipped in favor of Sunset's dream about the date.

Just finished catching up with this story and absolutely loving it. I hope to see more of it soon. :scootangel:

8319787 This, mostly:

but the majority of them WILL be addressed in forthcoming stories

8451568 That was a spur-of-the moment kinda comment.

8451568

honestly who does favor anchovies why are they even still an ingredient
and why is my comment so long

You'd be surprised. Very surprised.

I'd actually go so far as to say most restaurants use anchovies in at least one sauce or dish. And you'd never know they're there, because they're mixed in with a blender.

It's all about the umami.

Once I learned that, I actually tried anchovies straight. They're not bad at all, contrary to what every cartoon character ever has said. Sardines are better, but still.

Now, pizza-restaurant-topping anchovies are supposed to be the cheapest, lowest quality, saltiest mess of mini fish ever to crawl out of the briney deep and nasty. I actually tried the real thing: the better quality ones meant for cooking. Not those.

8457263
honestly i dislike fish in general although i don't doubt that fish has been mixed into something I've ate

Comment posted by Shalifi deleted Jan 20th, 2018

Really great story. I hope you get back to it soon. Can't wait to read more. Just finished it entirely. The responses from people now that she's an alicorn. The Dazzlings, and of course everyone in humanland. And of course more scenes with Sunset/Twilight. And maybe some family scenes between all the alicorns.

Still hope this story continues someday.
There are so few well done Princess Twilight/Sunset Shimmer stories being produced since most people seem to have shifted their focus to ship her with Scitwi and having her stay on the other side of the portal nowadays;/

But like she said in the chapter "As Family"

I love my friends, but their world is one without meaning, without destiny. I'm a pony; I have a purpose and a gift and a nature, and I can't pursue that or be myself if I stay there. I can't be the pony I'm meant to be if I stay there.

I think she belongs to Equestria but thats just my opinion.

I hope this story continues someday. I actually consider Perspective to be one of the best Sunset/Alicorn stories I've read, and it would be a crying shame to let it hang indefinitely. So, yeah. Consider it bumped. :)

Whelp. Shame to see the story die right before the end. Author hasn't been on in 2 years, so I guess this is yet another unfinished story. =(

Hello! Just found this. Any hope for future updates?

I love this story so much so far, its just amazing and words cannot say how good it is.

10560904
On a scale of 1/10, how sad would you rate this fanfic?

1 means it's not that sad and I'll read it
10 means that it is very sad and I'll tell myself that I won't read it before I cave and eventually read it in a week

Oh my god this is great MORE PLEASE!🙏🥰 Also just a question where is her geode?

WE ALL really [HOPE] that you continue this story at some point in time [HOPEFULLY] (within) the next 2yrs, plllleeeeaaasssee and thank you!

11157535
Dude. The author hasn't been on the site since 2017. Seems unlikely to ever be finished at this rate.

“When the Princess made me her student, one of the first tasks I was entrusted with was the care of a phoenix egg, to help teach me responsibility.” She giggled as the phoenix cooed at her, perhaps smugly. “The egg hatched into Philomena here...Celestia let me keep her, so long as I took care of her. Let me tell you, the first time she molted was terrifying.”

That's so cuteee Twilight and Sunset managed to hatch an egg

Login or register to comment