• Published 31st Oct 2015
  • 8,853 Views, 538 Comments

Perspective - Orpheon



Sunset finds herself without purpose as graduation reaches Canterlot High's most famous class. Uncertain about what she wants and unfulfilled, she agrees to try a change of perspective.

  • ...
20
 538
 8,853

Other Side

Morning came a bit too early for Sunset's taste as light battered her eyelids, but it was still preferable to being jolted awake by the obnoxious, tinny tones of her alarm clock on the dresser. Rolling out of bed with a groan, she made her way to the bathroom to prepare for the day. As she crossed the living room, she spotted movement from the corner of her eye and froze. A pair of violet feet were shifting on the arm of her couch as the owner rolled over in her sleep.

Panic passed as Sunset remembered; she'd invited Twilight to stay at her modest apartment over the night once the group had realized it was nearing midnight. Okay. Fine. No reason to worry, then. Exhaling softly, she continued on to the restroom to shower and ready herself for the day.


Twilight still slept when she left the bathroom in a cloud of steam, a towel wrapped about her head. Sunset found herself surprised; she'd expected little miss diligent Princess to be an early riser. Shrugging, she set about preparing a breakfast for two as she pulled a carton of eggs from the refrigerator.

Sunset had only just begun chopping a green pepper when Twilight stirred in her sleep again, mumbling something aloud that sounded suspiciously like 'tardy.' Idly she wondered if the Princess was actually that worried about something like being late for anything; being royalty would probably mean that she was never late. Or early. Princesses arrived precisely when they meant to, didn't they? Celestia always had. Then again, Celestia had been a princess for at least a millennium where Twilight had been one for...a year and some change? It occurred to Sunset she'd never asked about her friend's coronation. Perhaps it was still a bit of a sore subject, subconsciously.

Pouring the peppers into the skillet, she considered the royal on her couch. What went into being royalty, anyway? There was obviously matters of state that you would need to attend to, but there was also how you'd go about carrying yourself when you weren't doing administrative tasks. Celestia had always possessed a kind of seemingly effortless grace, so rarely breaking that patient mask of restraint and kind interest. Sunset snorted involuntarily as she tried to picture Twilight with that same face, unable to parse it on her human form and very unable to see it on her face as a pony (to be fair she only very dimly remembered what Twilight looked like in equine form).

A dull whump on the ground behind her made her jump as her guest fell off the couch. Turning about, she grinned as Twilight groaned unsteadily from the floor. Yep, the very soul of dignity and decorum.

“Whhuh...gon'be late...urgh.” She rubbed her face as she mumbled, trying to push the sleep from them. “What time is it...?”

“Half-past nine, give or take a minute. Sleep well, Princess?” Sunset responded pleasantly from the range.

“Sunset...? Oh, right. Had a weird dream that I was overdue to turn in a paper made of rolled up licorice at the school and the door was a graham cracker that had no handle.” Twilight hauled herself awkwardly to her feet and made her way to the counter to take a spot on a stool. “Honestly should've known something was off when the professor was yelling at me and spitting gumdrops.”

“Yeah, I've never had a candy-themed nightmare. Maybe your mind is telling you that you're eating too many sweets?” Sunset cracked as she flipped the eggs and peppers in her pan.

“Wh—I've been exercising! I—oh, you're kidding. Ha ha, funny. You have a restroom?”

“Over there. Brush on the sink, towels in the closet if you wanna shower. Don't take too long or breakfast'll get cold.”

As Twilight made her way to the bathroom, Sunset was left again to her ruminations. The previous night's conversation regarding a sabbatical in Equestria returned, and she frowned as she placed bread in the toaster. She'd managed to put off considerations until she actually fell asleep, but now she had no such excuse.

Where would she stay? She could rent an apartment in Canterlot, she supposed, but she would have no money upon going through the portal and didn't like the idea of borrowing bits from Twilight. She'd need bits for food, necessities; the actual process of finding an apartment would be tedious and could take some time. Twilight would almost certainly let her stay at her place for awhile; if memory served she lived in a hollowed-out tree that doubled as a library, which sounded fairly cozy. Sunset would still need money, though; she couldn't very well leech off of Twilight the whole time there while she was doing something like...she grimaced as she labeled the concept 'finding herself'. How very...stereotypical. Once, she'd prided herself on being more, being better than other lesser intellects, and now here she was.

The irony wasn't lost on her.

Sunset turned the burner off and scooped a portion of the eggs onto her plate with a dexterity she was rightfully proud of and settled down to eat while her food was still hot. Twilight would just have to make do with lukewarm breakfast. It wasn't just money she would need; no matter what sort of employment she got it wouldn't mean anything if she didn't find some way to pursue her passion. Perhaps she could see about the School for Gifted Unicorns, if her talent for magic hadn't atrophied completely during her long stay in the human world (a possibility she doubted, given she had been capable of teleportation during her brief sojourn for larceny a year prior). The caveat there was that the school was officially run by Princess Celestia, and moreover, she'd already proven herself far beyond almost all of the classes and teachers there. Plus, there was the fact that she remembered the Princess officially expelling her during their final...spat.

Independent study was a possibility. She was certainly no slouch on the academic front and there were probably hundreds of individual spells she'd yet to master. The idea brought a smile to her face as she chewed...that was probably a good sign.

“Breakfast taste that good?” Twilight quipped from the door, a pleasant expression on her face as she rubbed her hair dry with a towel that clearly wasn't handling the amount of hair that needed dried, whatever Twilight thought.

“Uh...yup. Not too bad if I say so myself. There's some more there in the pan, if you're hungry.”

Twilight eyed the eggs warily, but seemed to get over it as she grabbed a plate for herself. Sunset cocked her head; what could she have been looking for?

“So,” Twilight started, “...have you thought about what you want to do?”

Straight to the point it was, then.

“I have been and am. Still weighing the pros and cons.”

Twilight swallowed her forkful of egg and responded, “If you're worried about a place to stay, I can--”

Sunset cut her off with a wave of her own fork. “I know you would, and I appreciate it, but I want to earn my keep. I'm an adult, twice over now. If I'm going to do this, no matter what comes of it, I need to start acting like it.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow. “I guessed that would be the case, if you'd let me finish. I have a spare room in the castle and we have a LOT of archival work that needs done. If you like, I can give you a job doing that while you stay. I can subtract room and board from your wages before paying you even, if you want. Spike would welcome the help.”

Sunset opened her mouth to retort, but found nothing, and so narrowed her eyes. “Okay. That's fine, I guess. So that's one possibility while I stay.”

“So it is.” Twilight quipped with an expression Sunset was reasonably sure could be considered smug.

“...I'd have to alert my landlord. Pack some things. I'd have to...to speak to the Princess, probably. I doubt she'd take my return to Equestria without some kind of personal interest for good or for ill.”

“Probably.” Twilight responded as she nodded slowly.

Sunset stared hard at the girl across the counter from her, looking for something, anything she might be hiding. It wasn't as though she didn't trust Twilight...but at the same time she'd sort of been expecting to weather a sales pitch.

“I could have trouble explaining to my landlord why I'm going to be gone. I mean, not that it's his business, but still.”

“Maybe so. You should consider a detailed letter.”

“...I guess I don't really have a school schedule to upset. I'd...ugh, quit looking at me like that!” Sunset jabbed her fork in her guest's direction.

“Like what?” Twilight retorted innocently. Sunset could swear there was a little halo over her head.

“All patient and understanding with the polite non-responses! I swear, you sound just like her when you do that! Which...makes sense, I guess. Still!” Sunset scowled as she spoke. “I can practically hear the gears turning in your head already! Just say your piece!”

Twilight's face shifted to one of studious neutrality as she considered her response. “Alright. I thought I already made my position on the matter clear; I think this will be a very good thing for you. You'll have a chance to come home, Sunset Shimmer. To be where you were meant to be, to do what you were meant to do. This? All this?” She waved her hand over her head, around. “This is a wondrous place, a strange and mysterious world that's like ours...but also unlike ours, in all the ways that matter. I could never conceive of living here permanently, Sunset. Never. Not just for my friends, not just for my family, but because this isn't home. My talents, my destiny that I chose, is to help keep Equestria safe and together for the rest of my days.

“You've chosen to remain here, despite the fact that it has been inimical to your nature as a pony, to clean up the mess you helped make. Which you've done! You did so admirably, and with grace and efficiency if your letters are to be believed. You and your friends-- and make no mistake, they are your friends more than mine at this point-- have managed to contain the magic that was brought here, and rein it in. Your self-imposed task is done.” She punctuated her speech by grasping Sunset's hands in her own, her expression now earnest.

“You know what it is to be Equestrian, to be a pony, Sunset. We're creatures of purpose. But here? You have no purpose that satisfies you. You said so yourself. I don't believe for a second you haven't looked. You're too smart for that, to have not seen this coming.

“I'm not forcing you to do anything, Sunset. I didn't want to...to give you this spiel! You've heard it before, in your own head. But could it hurt you to try? Could it hurt you to spend a little while at home, where you can do the things that gave you purpose before you assigned yourself the purpose of amends? I don't think so.” She finished, a warm smile on her face.

Sunset seemed at a loss, for a moment...and then she croaked out, “But what if it does?” her voice barely a whisper.

“Sunset, if you find life in Equestria doesn't suit you anymore, if you honestly truly believe that you don't want to stay there, then that's fine. You go back through the portal, and we go back to corresponding through letters in the journal with occasional visits to one another. This is in no way a permanent arrangement. But I really think it's worth a try. No one deserves to find themselves without purpose, without a drive. Least of all someone like you, who's come so far.”

Sunset could feel tears welling up at the corners of her eyes. This wasn't fair. This pony was entirely too good at this...touching speech thing.

“...okay. I'll do it.”


A rapid series of texts to her friends sealed the deal, in Sunset's mind. She didn't want to disturb them unduly on the first day of the rest of their lives, but neither was she going to up and disappear on them for a time without saying goodbye. It wasn't a farewell forever, but it would still be a long time before she met them again...and she was never a pony who liked to go back on her word.

She found herself scanning her apartment for things she could conceivably take with her or need on the other side. She wouldn't need her clothes (and frankly wasn't one hundred percent certain they'd survive the transition), as ponies didn't generally wear them outside of certain special occasions. Toothbrush? Check. Towels? Probably better take a couple, since she liked the colors. Brush? Yup, she'd want that. Phone...? She examined the device. Part of her knew it wouldn't be any help on the other side, but four years of instinct had made her reluctant to not take it with her. It would probably be better to leave it here, just to be safe. Some reading material...? Nah, she have all of the literary bounty of her collected time away to peruse. Still, she grabbed her history textbook from her first year, if only because she expected the Princess might be interested. Wallet? None of the money or cards within were worth anything in Equestria.

Sunset was honestly surprised and a little dismayed, as she surveyed her satchel. So little she could take with her. Was this the gulf between the human world and Equestria? Well...

She made one more check, opening the jewelry box on top of her dresser. In it were the few bits she had remaining from her first exodus; fourteen solid gold coins out of thirty or so. She had never quite understood the human preoccupation with gold; the element was plentiful in Equestria and while pretty hadn't really had many practical applications. There were definitely more ways for it to be used in this world, but humanity seemed intent on using it primarily as a status symbol and currency because of its comparative scarcity. In any case, they had served well enough in helping establish herself once she understood the value of what she carried with her. And now, this would probably get her a single lunch in Equestria if the prices hadn't swollen too much.

Sunset chuckled as she dumped the contents of the box in her bag. More irony; she was finding a lot of that today.

In the living area, Twilight sat patiently on the sofa reading what appeared to be a phone book.

“...you learning anything interesting there?”

The lavender girl started, looking up. “Um, yes! There are so many different kinds of business in the human world; these 'phones' are remarkable little things for communication and I can see why people would like a book that helps keep contact information for them organized.”

“Yeah, well. If you ask me with the internet being a thing phone books are largely obsolete but I guess I can see why they were useful before that technology spread.” Sunset replied.

“Technology marches on, after all! You don't see much freight on carriages these days in Equestria, with the rail lines starting to spread to the farther reaches of the kingdom.”

“Suppose so.”

Twilight's face fell a bit at Sunset's unenthusiastic tone. “...Are you going to be okay?”

Sunset gave her a cockeyed look and took a deep breath. “I made my decision. Now I'm gonna live with it. Let's get going. Shouldn't keep the others waiting.”


An hour's walk found the pair at the base of the Wondercolt, Canterlot High's grounds largely empty and eerily silent. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were first to the gathering, the former looking typically tranquil while the latter seemed uncharacteristically somber. Rarity and Pinkie Pie arrived shortly after, Rarity's expression confident. Sunset was alarmed by Pinkie's subdued demeanor, but she supposed that she would feel the same if their positions were reversed.

A bus dropped off the native Twilight Sparkle, who looked to be fighting to stay composed as Applejack pulled up a few moments later in her brother's borrowed pickup.

Around the portal they stood, no one apparently willing to break the silence. Eventually, the Princess took it upon herself to speak.

“Alright, girls. We're going to be going now, until we visit again.”

“Will you be alright, Sunset?” Fluttershy asked. Sunset nodded, not trusting herself to speak for the nameless dread that had returned to her heart in full force.

“We'll miss you two,” Applejack said bracingly, “But we'll see ya again in just a while, so don't you fret none.”

“Be careful out there, Sunset. I don't know what Equestria's like, but it sounds like a strange place. If you ever want to come back, we'll be here! Well, I mean, not here in this spot, but here in this town—well, Rarity might be overseas and Dash and I might be in Everton, a-and--” Rainbow wrapped an arm around the spectacled girl comfortingly and finished, “What she means is, we'll be waiting for ya, when you're ready to come back.”

“I'll throw a HUGE welcome back party when you do!” Pinkie exclaimed, a surge of her usual exuberance managing to assert itself through her melancholy.

“Even if I'm not in town when you do, I do plan on keeping regular correspondence with the girls, so be sure to drop me a line!” Rarity asserted.

“Good luck, Sunset. I hope you find what you're looking for on the other side of the portal.” Fluttershy finished, her gaze warm as she took Sunset's hands and gave them a supportive squeeze.

Princess Twilight took a moment to appear contemplative and then spoke, “...Sunset, why not let one of our friends hang on to your journal?”

Sunset nodded. “That seems like a good idea. You guys can take turns keeping it and writing me, and I'll try to write once every week on how things are going!” Drawing the tome in question from her bag, she handed it off to Fluttershy. “You'll be first, 'Shy. Decide on an order for yourselves...but don't fight over it! There's enough of me to go around.” she joked.

The silence descended again as her friend held the book close to her heart, none of them quite sure what else needed to be said.

“...I guess it's time to go. I'll miss you guys.”

“Until next time, girls. Don't worry about Sunset, she'll be fine. I promise.” Princess Twilight waved, her voice reassuring as she stepped through the rippling surface of the mirror. With a surreal keening, the glass closed behind her, and she was gone. Sunset placed her hand on the surface immediately after, trepidation making her hesitate. There was so little resistance; like putting your hands in water...or perhaps mud, more accurately.

She flinched in surprise when something SEIZED her hand, yanking her with an inexorable pull into the mirror. She felt rather than heard a gasp behind her as her face hit the glass, expecting some kind of wet slap as though it were actually fluid and instinctively screwing up her face and holding her breath. The bizarre sensation and sound of glass flowing around her scratched at her mind, and she made the mistake of opening her eyes as she went through.

It was chaos.

Pure, unadulterated havoc suffused the void, a cacophany of colors and sounds screaming at her from all directions, up, down, left, rightinsideoutside. The corners of her eyes darkened and she squeezed them shut, desperately trying to shut out the sensory overload as her bones compressed and warped, torment wracking her head as something forced its way from her skull, fingers folded inward and merged, muscle and sinew warped and twisted, shoulders sliding and straining into place did it hurt this much last time?

Sunset felt her spine buckle horribly; that was the last straw. She opened her mouth to scream, but could hear nothing for the pandemonium around her and the agony that tore at her mind--

And all at once it was gone as she felt air around her body, unceremoniously tossed from the unnatural glass, her shriek suddenly QUITE audible as she she landed on something soft and warm that protested her sudden weight with a grunt of surprise and pain. She rolled sideways from her cushion, flopping on the stone as she breathed. It was only a moment, a blink of an eye, a mere flash but it had been so real and--

She opened her eyes slowly. She was on the ground on her side, hair—no, mane, pooled around her. She craned her head around, felt the warmth of Twilight and her friend's groan. She'd landed on Twilight? Too fast, she'd gone through. Shakily she tried to get her hand—hoof beneath her, the sensation at once alien and familiar. Tactile sensation filtered through keratin, her forelegs not quite finding purchase on the stone...no, crystal? Right, the Crystal Empire was where the mirror was. She flopped on her barrel, snarling in frustration. It was like she was a foal all over again.

Beside her, she heard the dull clop of hooves as Twilight stood.

“Ugh, that's never going to stop being weird. Going to have to realign those feathers...oh! Are you alright, Sunset?”

Sunset turned her head, taking in Twilight Sparkle's equine form. She was familiar with it, but at the same time, it was foreign. She didn't remember the lavender alicorn standing with such...confidence? Poise? Assurance? She saw the wings at her shoulders, felt a fleeting pang of envy, but quashed it. Twilight offered a hoof, which Sunset accepted as she tried to stand on three limbs, knees shaking.

“Easy, now. It's been a long time, hasn't it?”

“I don't remember having this hard a time the last time I came through...also don't remember it hurting that much.” Sunset grumbled as instinct started to reassert itself in her limbs. “Felt like my shoulders and innards were trying to explode.”

“It did? That's strange, it's never been a painful transition for me. Just bizarre. Are you okay?” Twilight began checking her friend over, concern in her voice as she started prodding Sunset and making certain she was mostly together. Sunset was somewhat less comfortable with her personal space being invaded and managed to shake her friend off.

“I'm fine now; it was very brief. Maybe I just imagined it...anyway, we're here. In the Crystal Empire, if memory serves?” Sunset looked about, blinking slowly as she took in the environment. Towering bookshelves surrounded the mirror, which itself was hooked up to...some kind of machine that hummed gently. There, in a slot near the base, sat the other journal that was linked to hers. She could make some sense of what she was looking at, formulae and equations returning unbidden to her mind as she examined the strange setup. “I guess this is how you open the portal on demand? Why'd you move it into a libar...uggh.” Sunset stumbled, Twilight rushing over to support her as she swooned like a drunken mare.

Twilight patted her sympathetically as Sunset tried to get her bearings. A sixth sense she hadn't known she missed so much bloomed in her mind, a sudden awareness of the interconnected dots of reality. The effect was heady; magic suffused her body from the tip of her horn all the way to to her tail and for a brief moment she felt as though she were actually inebriated...but the unsteadiness passed, and she stood up again, rubbing her temple. “That...that was a doozy.”

“Yep; every time you go through the portal you have to get used to your magic coming back at full power. Er, NEAR full power. I imagine you won't be at one-hundred percent until you get back into practice; even with my brief stays I find doing some basic strengthening exercises helps me get my groove back, as it were.”

A distant part of Sunset resented the implication that she wasn't at her best, but she knew even as Twilight spoke that she was likely correct. It had been far too long since she'd done any kind of actual structured casting.

“In any case, we're actually in my castle. The mirror was moved here after I got back from my first trip to the human world so that I could study it--”

Sunset raised a hoof. “Hold on. You have a castle? I thought you lived in a treehouse? I mean, like a tree that was incidentally a house, not a house in a tree's branches.”

“Oh, well...I didn't tell you that story? Must not have been time, heh heh, heh...” Twilight faltered off, clearly deflecting. Sunset raised an eyebrow, but decided to let it go for now. She'd get the full picture when Twilight was ready to give it to her. Ideally, anyway.

“...okay then, I guess. Mind showing me around?


“Spike! Spiiiike! Spike?” Twilight called insistently as the pair made their way through the halls. “Spike, where are you?”

Sunset found herself struck dumb by the sheer scale of the crystalline edifice. This thing was immense; what could she possibly use all this space for if it was only her and her assistant? How did she not get lost in this place? Sunset could scarcely remember the turns they'd made exiting the library near the center of the palace, and Twilight was just threading a path like it wasn't a maddening, reflective labyrinth. It had to have been a gift of some kind; it was unlike either Twilight she knew to have something so...elaborate, so ostentatious, so glittery. It didn't suit her at all. Her train of thought was almost derailed as she struggled to catch up to Twilight, who trotted at an energetic pace ahead of her and around a corner.

“Spike, where did you g—oh. Hmm...”

“Did you find him?” Sunset asked as she rounded the bend and found herself in what appeared to be a council chamber of some kind, a massive flat table surrounded by a series of seats emblazoned with marks dominating the center. Above them, what appeared to be the roots of a tree dangled with small hexagonal prisms glinting softly in the tendrils. It gave the effect of a chandelier, but somehow less cold and imposing. Perhaps it was the organic nature of the roots? She'd have to ask Twilight about it later; the little gems were too high up for her to see clearly and she didn't feel up to trying to levitate herself yet.

“No, he left a note here on his chair. Looks like he went to go to Sugarcube Corner...Hm. I bet he's eating as much ice-cream as his allowance will get him.” Twilight's voice rang with maternal annoyance. Sunset couldn't suppress a smile. “Well, that's fine. I just wanted to let him know I was back, so I guess we can just continue on the tour! I'll show you your room, and then I'll show you the public library.”

“The portal room had books everywhere; I thought THAT was the library?” Sunset queried, confused.

“It's MY library, not the public one. I have a lot of things there that probably don't need to be in circulation; rare books, advanced magical theory, some things from the Crystal Empire, the Tome of the Night Sky, a hedron, and other stuff. You know, things that are of interest to high level magicians.” Twilight spoke airily, as though she hadn't just casually mentioned a repository of ancient knowledge and at least one eldritch item that probably ought to be destroyed. Sunset stared at the mare before her.

“....what? What did I say?”

“N-nothing. Mind if we go look at my room first? I'd like to put this down.” Sunset motioned to her saddlebags, which curiously enough held the contents of her knapsack from the other world. She had supposed it had been the next nearest form her bag had found that was an acceptable substitute.

“Sure! Follow me.”

The pair made their way back up the stairs and through more hallways (at this point it was less intimidating and more simply annoying to Sunset), Twilight charting a course to the residential wing. Thankfully it wasn't actually that far from the main hall, and Sunset was reasonably sure she could remember the path there and back if she walked it a few times, just to be certain. The rest of the palace, though...that would be tougher. Such was life, she supposed. She'd be here at least a little while; there was no rush.

“Aand voila! I didn't exactly have time to redecorate for you specifically, given this was a fairly spur of the moment thing, but I think you'll find the room comfortable, if a tad austere.” Twilight spoke truly; the guest room looked livable enough, but it had no defining features to it besides a window facing toward the forest outside of town, a rather simple bed, and a two doors, one ajar and leading to what Sunset supposed was the bathroom. The other was likely a closet (though for what she was uncertain, given that clothing was relatively uncommon for ponies). It would do; she wasn't given to extravagant living in any case and would probably have enough occupying her that boredom wouldn't be a major concern.

“It's perfect; if I get really antsy I can just replace the curtains with something more...red, maybe.” Sunset joked, waving a hoof at the already maroon hangings. Twilight returned with a sardonic smile and motioned for her guest to follow after she set aside her saddlebags with a quick cantrip.


“Alright, that about does it for the tour. You follow so far?”

“I think I remembered enough to get by; I'll pick up the rest on the run.” Sunset assured Twilight, though privately she had her doubts.

“Great! If you're feeling up to it, I'd love to show you around town, introduce you to a few of the townsfolk! We could even see if any of my friends are around, sit down for lunch--”

“Whoa, whoa. Hold on there, Twi.” Sunset raised a hoof in a cautionary gesture. “I don't know that it's a good idea yet for all that. Not to talk badly of your friends or anything, but if they're like...pony versions of our friends on the other side like you've told me, then maybe I should just take it slowly. There's...there's no hurry. Would tomorrow be alright? Besides, I really should familiarize myself with the archive, so I can get started on that as soon as I can...” Sunset trailed off, noting Twilight's knowing smile. “...what? Don't give me that face. Stop thinking whatever you're thinking.”

“Whatever could you mean, Sunset? I'm not thinking anything!” Twilight stopped, her muzzle scrunching as she considered the totality of that phrase. “I mean, I am thinking--”

“Nope! Too late! Thinking nothing! I'm going to try to find the archive now; if I'm not heard from in three hours I got hopelessly lost and may need a rescue party.” Sunset turned to the halls, cackling as she went.

“I'M THINKING SOMETHING! I'm thinking something.” Twilight's face remained scrunched as she mumbled to herself.