• Published 2nd Jun 2012
  • 2,022 Views, 15 Comments

Scratching a New Octave - Tyler-the-Brony



The story of Vinyl's Cutie Mark and her first Love.

  • ...
4
 15
 2,022

Chapter 7: The Divisions Divide

Within little to no time at all, the Valehooftorians were in Ponyville. Few of them had ever been there before, and those who had visited previously had not been by in a very long time.

“Well Vinyl Scratch? You’re the leader here. Where do we go first?” Olive Oil asked.

“Well, I suppose we should go look up my cousin Rarity and see when she wants to do our respective fittings. Then we can mostly separate, and meet back up after the last fitting to head back to the Academy.” Vinyl answered her.

“Let us set off then. I am very intrigued to meet this fashion designer.” Zuzana added.

Vinyl nodded to that, and then set off to lead her group to Carousel Boutique.

“If you don’t mind me asking Vinyl,” Stifle began. “Why did you not have your cousin or your friends meet us at the station?”

“Well, I know Ponyville well enough in regards to them, and I figured that I’ve already asked more than enough from them. I mean, they are putting us up for a bit and technically resetting the Graduation ceremony.” Vinyl explained.

“Makes sense. Also, they may have had other engagements today and can only meet us at our designated times. That’s often the case with my team anyway.” Razzle announced.

“Exactly. Now let’s get ready. Carousel Boutique is just there.” Vinyl indicated the building with her hoof.

The other ponies turned and looked and were pleasantly surprised.

“And you cousin was born here in Ponyville?” Fetlock asked. “This seems far more like Canterlot work.”

“Yeah. Well, since I was born in Canterlot and Rarity was born here, we often ending up doing play dates. I spent as much time here in Ponyville as Rarity spent in Canterlot. That’s probably why people confuse our birthplaces. After all, I don’t seem like the Canterlot norm do I?” Vinyl asked.

“Being normal is not always what’s best.” Jewels spoke up. “Being different is what makes us good in our respective arts.”

“Praise Celestia to that.” Red Gala answered.

By this time, the group had just arrived at Carousel Boutique. Vinyl raised her hoof to knock and was almost immediately greeted by the smiling face of her cousin.

“Vinyl Darling! I just finished your letter. Please do come in.” Rarity said.

“Nice to see you too Rare.” Vinyl chuckled.

“To everypony else, Welcome to the Carousel Boutique, where every garment is chic, unique and magnifique."Rarity announced.

Everypony was flabbergasted, even Zuzana. They had all seen their fair share of Upper Class Canterlot Fashion, but very few can equal Rarity.

“Well now, what may I do to help you at the moment darlings?” Rarity asked, seeing most everypony shake their head to look at her.

“Well Rarity, we were wondering if you wanted to set up our fitting times. I know how punctual you like to be.” Vinyl answered for the group.

“Of course. Well, I just finished up my last order this morning, so I am free for the foreseeable future to assist you all. Do any of you have any preferences time wise?” Rarity asked aloud.

Zuzana was the first to speak up.

“I would like to go first Madame Rarity. My name is Zuzana. I have rarely gotten to see such fine clothes for more than a few fleeting moments, and never have I seen so many in one place.” Zuzana answered.

“Certainly darling. I take it you are the Valehooftorian of the Fashion Faculty?” Rarity asked, receiving a nod as answer from Zuzana.

Colttrane stepped up next.

“Formal greetings to you Miss Rarity. I am Colttrane. If it is alright with you, I believe me and the rest of the stallions would prefer to be scheduled at the same time. Preferably right after Zuzana so that we may be able to better prepare our acts for Graduation.” Colttrane said, turning to check with the others that what he had not spoken out of term for anypony present.

All the other stallions nodded while still being partially absorbed in the atmosphere of the Boutique.

“Excellent. It would save me much time if I did multiple ponies’ sessions at the same time. And I am certain it would do the same for you. Ponyville certainly has some unique facets that you certainly must see before you return to Canterlot.” Rarity answered.

Jewels was the next one to step up and speak.

“My name is Jewels, Madame Rarity. Seeing as we cannot be fitted with the Stallions and Zuzana would like to have a solo appointment, I suppose that Red Gala and I could go third?” Jewels turned to look at Red Gala, seeing an encouraging nod.

“Perfect darling. Divided like that, I should be able to dedicate the proper amount of time to every pony.” Rarity said.

Vinyl scratched her head in thought, realizing what it was that was missing.

“Uh Rare? You forgot to include me and Octavia in your calculations.” Vinyl spoke up.

Rarity giggled at Vinyl’s silliness.

“Oh Vinyl Scratch. You don’t think I’d really forget you do you? As you and the lovely Octavia are staying directly here with me, I can fit you two promptly during the times the others cannot be.” Rarity explained.

Vinyl blushed a bit, more at the thought of her forgetting how Rarity operated.

“Oh Right. Sorry.” Vinyl said.

“No need to apologize darling.” Rarity told Vinyl.

Rarity returned her focus to the group. She did not do so before having fully noticed the blush that passed over not only Vinyl at the mention of Octavia, but the one that appeared on Octavia at the mention of Vinyl though.

“Oh Vinyl. Octavia must be the pony that gave you your Cutie Mark. I should have realized by how you described her in your letters.” Rarity realized. “Perhaps I can help them both out.”

“All right everypony. Vinyl, Octavia. You can move your luggage upstairs and get settled. Zuzana, I can begin your fitting now. Colttrane, you and the other stallions return in 2 hours or so. Red Gala and Jewels, you may come another hour and half or so after that.” Rarity announced, seeing each pony understand her instructions.

“Vinyl darling, I believe Pinkie Pie is looking for you. And Miss Octavia, I know of a classical loving unicorn who would love to meet you. You don’t object to those being proper ways to pass the time until your own fittings do you?” Rarity asked them, worried that she may have decided too much.

“Sounds good to me. Pinkie needs a bit more info on decorating the Grad ceremony anyway.” Vinyl answered.

“And this unicorn you speak of sounds absolutely enchanting to meet.” Octavia added.

“Excellent! We begin now!” Rarity announced.