• Published 2nd Jun 2012
  • 2,022 Views, 15 Comments

Scratching a New Octave - Tyler-the-Brony



The story of Vinyl's Cutie Mark and her first Love.

  • ...
4
 15
 2,022

Chapter 6: Colttrane on a Train

At noon the next day, all the Valehooftorians were gathered at the Canterlot Train Terminal. Of course, Vinyl Scratch was there, and so was Octavia. There were many other ponies too though.

There was Jewels Trotternier, an accomplished female unicorn painter from the Painting Ponies Division who already had work in some museums around Equestria.

There was also Razzle Spark, a unicorn who was representing his own Pyrotechnic Division. He had nearly arrived late as he was still scrambling about attempting to apologize for his Division’s accident.

The Photography Division had sent a Pegasus pony by the name of Stifle. He was constantly dashing about, documenting everything he saw as inspiration.

Olive Oil was representing the Cooking Division. She was an Earth pony with chopping speed that would make a Pegasus jealous. She was in fact already Sous Chef at the restaurant she had stayed at after her internship.

The Fashion Division, or rather what was left of it, had decided on a zebra by the name of Zuzana. Zuzana was not quite as inventive as Rarity, but she was able to bring out base colours in a stunning way thanks to a few special potions from her homeland.

The Country Music Division was represented by an earth pony named Red Gala. She had a family in Ponyville, and was looking forward to sharing her music with her cousin so they could do a duet on the fiddle.

The Jazz Division sent a Pegasus by the name of Colttrane. He stood near the back of the group, perpetually wearing sunglasses much like Vinyl, slowing humming to himself and tapping his hooves along to it.

And lastly, an earth pony named Eloy Fetlock was representing the New Age Music Division. He was dashing around, listening intently to every little thing, as though wondering if or how he could use it in a song.

The train would be there within 15 minutes to take them all to Ponyville. Vinyl had sent off letters to Pinkie and Rarity last night thanks to the help of an express Postal Pony service. She only hoped they had already received them and wouldn’t be surprised or offset to see her and her, for the most part and perhaps for lack of a better word, friends.

Vinyl had just barely made it around to invite them all. Having forgotten in her almost three years out of it, that most of the various Faculties of the school were quite spread apart. If only she had been able to teleport like some other unicorns could.

Inviting Octavia had been the hardest. Vinyl had in fact had to close her eyes for the whole ordeal, for fear that she would look at Octavia and begin to blush. Thankfully, she had made it past that hurdle without any mistakes.

The rest of the trip would be different though. There were other ponies here now and she was the one that knew Ponyville the best, meaning she would have to lead the group.

She also knew that she and Octavia would be sharing the guest room at Rarity’s. The rest of the girls, save Red Gala, would be sharing Pinkie Pie’s room, as she had been unsuccessful in persuading her pink friend otherwise. The guys would be staying at Sweet Apple Acres, along with Red Gala. She had contacted her cousin Applejack, and it was apparently all cleared.

This meant that she and Octavia would eat, sleep, and get their dresses, as Rarity was sure to make dresses instead of mere outfits, fitted together. Vinyl was happy to be spending so much time with Octavia, as she rarely got to see her as was, but she was also nervous as hay.

“Vinyl Scratch? Are you quite alright? Normally you’re the life of any gathering, but you’ve been unusually quite this morning.” Vinyl heard Octavia asked.

Vinyl quickly straightened up, coming out of her worrying daydreams to look at Octavia.

“Huh? Oh no. I’m fine Octavia. I’m just still getting used to the whole ‘chosen for Valehooftorian’ thing I guess. It’s a pretty big deal.” Vinyl replied, only telling Octavia part of the truth.

Octavia seemed to believe it for the most part.

“I can relate to that. It is quite an important deal. We’re each representing our respective Division and Faculty at Graduation. I’m mildly worried I won’t be able to do a worthy enough job in my piece at the end.” Octavia told Vinyl, glad that although she and Vinyl hardly saw each other, that they were able to relate and talk like this when they did.

“What? You don’t need to worry about that Octavia. You’re the best Musician at this school in my opinion, and that takes my awesome self into consideration.” Vinyl told Octavia, glad that she was going to be able to handle conversations like this at least.

“Why thank you Vinyl. That’s quite a high compliment. I must say that whilst I don’t fully understand the pull that being a DJ has to you, that your music is impressive in its own rights.” Octavia told Vinyl, pawing the ground and turning away to blush.

“Did Octavia just blush at me?” Vinyl thought.

“Thanks. It’s really quite fun. Remixing old and new tunes is so much fun. In fact, I was wondering, if maybe you wouldn’t mind,” Vinyl asked, this time being her turn to paw the ground and blush. “Would you like to do a piece with me someday? I enjoy mixing all types of music, but I really enjoy mixing the Classics you like to use.”

Octavia was shocked. She knew that Vinyl certainly appreciated her own music, but had never thought she would ask to do a piece with her. As Octavia opened her mouth to respond, another voice cut across her.

“Hey! You mares getting on the train or what?” Colttrane called over to Vinyl and Octavia, who had not noticed the train pull in or their classmates load their luggage onto it.

“O-Oh! Of course. Just a moment Colttrane.” Octavia called back to him.

Vinyl looked around and shook her head, surprised at herself. She was supposed to be the leader here, and she hadn’t even noticed the bucking train show up.

“Vinyl? May we perhaps continue our conversation once we have boarded the train?” Octavia asked Vinyl as she loaded her luggage onto her back.

“Sure thing Octavia. Let me help you with those.” Vinyl answered, using her magic to levitate Octavia’s and her own luggage on board the train.

Again, Octavia blushed at Vinyl’s kindness as she boarded the train.

“Oh. Why can’t I just tell her? Tell her that I fell in love with her after her performance at our first Year End Concert?” Octavia asked herself.

“Perhaps if the trip goes well enough. This certainly is an inauspicious beginning.” Octavia answered herself.

By the time Octavia came back to herself, the train was already moving. She elected to take the seat across from Vinyl and Fetlock. The rest of train ride passed quite quickly, but both Vinyl and Octavia wished it could have gone on longer.